IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Perhaps he was pruning his trees from which a branch fell and hit a neighbour, maybe he booted his football through someone's window. Alternatively, he may have been evicting a stalker/thief/tre****ser or (as supposedly rumoured) confronting a dog walker who's dog had fouled on his property. 
I'd hope and prefer it to be something of this nature. I do get the feeling others have already hung him as a wife beater and are fueled by their dislike of him. 
I get that this is embarrassing, and reflects poorly on the club, but some of the comments here are a disgrace”

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Completely different situations. 

Barton is the incumbent rovers manager, has a court case hanging over him, has a long history of violence, has allegedly attacked his wife and if found guilty should rightly be sacked

Just for the record, I believe you may be jumping the gun and, with respect, suggest you may wish to reconsider, or even delete, your statement.

Unless I am mistaken, JB has been charged with ‘Assault by Beating’ after a woman suffered a head injury.

Nowhere, apart from on this thread and in an article in The Sun :nono:, have I seen it mentioned that the woman in question was JB’s wife.

Quite a serious accusation to make without evidence.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Just for the record, I believe you may be jumping the gun and, with respect, suggest you may wish to reconsider, or even delete, your statement.

Unless I am mistaken, JB has been charged with ‘Assault by Beating’ after a woman suffered a head injury.

Nowhere, apart from on this thread and in an article in The Sun :nono:, have I seen it mentioned that the woman in question was JB’s wife.

Lots of news outlets have said it’s his wife

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So if it’s his missus it’s serious, any other woman is a bit of a misunderstanding and not too serious?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So if it’s his missus it’s serious, any other woman is a bit of a misunderstanding and not too serious?

Most of the blue few are calling for him to be sacked to be fair. Not good for their pre season as he's just assembled his own squad. Interesting to see what happens in court tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/joey-barton-charged-attacking-wife-24611037.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/07/25/joey-barton-charged-with-alleged-attack-on-his-wife-14985691/amp/

As well as the Sun, at least two other outlets mention his wife. I have stated ‘alleged’. All other social media will be rife with rumour, conjecture and ‘alleged’ comments.

With respect, everyone is jumping the gun at the moment and no doubt all will be revealed tomorrow.

if the Mods thought what I stated was libellous, I’m sure they would have deleted it by now

6 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Most of the blue few are calling for him to be sacked to be fair. Not good for their pre season as he's just assembled his own squad. Interesting to see what happens in court tomorrow.

He might get bail but could be conditions so it it was his Wife he allegedly hit he’ll almost certainly have to stay somewhere other than the family home.

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Simpson is welcome to a second chance in a non public eye, role. But as a role model for children and others, he shouldn’t be in the privileged position of being paid to play a game for a living.

Completely warped logic. 

slap your wife about and you’re a milkman, ok to go back to work

slap your wife about and you’re a footballer, not ok to go back to work, change your profession and hope somebody gives you a chance 

domestic abuse is the issue here not what job you do

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think everyone deserves a chance to turn their life around after ******* up. 

Barton has continually and repeatedly been involved in crime after crime after alleged crime. 

I don't think the 2 people are really a level comparison. 

Indeed they aren't - one has been found guilty of assaulting his wife, and, to date, one hasn't.

I don't honestly think there is any higher moral ground to be claimed by either side in situations like this. 

35 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Lots of news outlets have said it’s his wife

Really? I am sure you are correct, but I have only seen the article in The Sun.

Perhaps you would provide a link.

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

1. Look up the meaning of Straw Man Argument.

2. Imagine a scenario where, one evening, following a bit of neighbourly friction, Mr and Mrs JB invite their neighbours over for a drInk in an attempt to rekindle their previously friendly relationship.

Unfortunately, relations remain frosty, too many drinks are consumed and a heated, bordering on violent confrontation ensues between JB and his (male) neighbour.

Mrs neighbour tries to intervene and is pushed away by JB, banging her head on a shelf, resulting in a slight scratch and a drop of blood.

Mr neighbour, outraged at the ‘assault’ on his wife, calls the Police, who arrive and arrest JB, resulting in charges and tomorrow’s Court appearance.

Mrs B, as I am sure you are aware, issues a statement confirming that she has not accused JB of being violent towards her.

OK - this is just a little story concocted on a quiet Sunday afternoon, but in no legal source nor in any reliable media article have I seen it mentioned that JB has assaulted his wife and, moreover and quite clearly, nor would I, nor have I, condoned violence against a woman - or, indeed, against anybody!

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Indeed they aren't - one has been found guilty of assaulting his wife, and, to date, one hasn't.

I don't honestly think there is any higher moral ground to be claimed by either side in situations like this. 

One has been found guilty, served his time and gone through a period of reform and returned to his previous life, the other has had repeated incidents of violent behaviour in the past, has two ongoing court cases to answer similar behaviour, and seems completely unable to accept the blame for any of it.

But like you say, no moral high ground to be taken...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

OK, so not ‘just’ The Sun; I see The Daily Mirror, The Mag Co., Fan Banter and other, similarly ‘reputable’ sources have also stated that JB has been accused of assaulting his wife.

I remain comfortable with my previous statement that I am not aware of any reputable media source stating that JB assaulted his wife: he may well have done, and I have no doubt all will be revealed in Court, but it just really annoys me when people make frivolous accusations without any justification.

9 minutes ago, Izza said:

joey barton wife - Google Search

All tabloids but surely they wouldn't print lies ?

The only ‘fact’ at present is the Police statement, which refers to a charge of ‘Assault by Beating’ whereby an unnamed woman, i.e. by extension, not necessarily JB’s wife, suffered a head injury.

My somewhat nonsensical concoction of the circumstances above was just that, i.e. nonsensical, but, à la Kevin Keegan, I would just love it to transpire in Court tomorrow that the unfortunate woman assaulted was anybody but Mrs B, and for both Mr and Mrs B to sue the above mentioned rags for libel. 

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The only ‘fact’ at present is the Police statement, which refers to a charge of ‘Assault by Beating’ whereby an unnamed woman, i.e. by extension, not necessarily JB’s wife, suffered a head injury.

My somewhat nonsensical concoction of the circumstances above was just that, i.e. nonsensical, but, à la Kevin Keegan, I would just love it to transpire in Court tomorrow that the unfortunate woman assaulted was anybody but Mrs B, and for both Mr and Mrs B to sue the above mentioned rags for libel. 

Yeh I see what you’re saying I guess only time will tell

Highly highly unlikely outcome 

so let me get this straight, you would love it tomorrow if it transpires that he beat another woman but not his wife and then sues media outlets?

sorry mate, absolute bollocks from you. I suppose you think the Asda Spider-Man is admirable because he assaulted a woman that wasn’t his wife 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Personally I’d be a bit disappointed if someone got convicted for beating a woman and then profited financially. I would prefer a massive fine to the media outlets printing incorrect facts rather than £2m in a thugs bank account. Might be just me?

13 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

so let me get this straight, you would love it tomorrow if it transpires that he beat another woman but not his wife and then sues media outlets?

sorry mate, absolute bollocks from you. I suppose you think the Asda Spider-Man is admirable because he assaulted a woman that wasn’t his wife 

1. Look up the meaning of Straw Man Argument - I suggested this to a previous poster, but it would seem it applies equally to you.

2. Look up the meaning of ‘Assault by Beating’, the offence with which JB has been charged.

There is no suggestion or allegation that JB has beaten a woman, his wife or any other woman - apart from in The Sun and from some ill-informed posters on this thread.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Personally I’d be a bit disappointed if someone got convicted for beating a woman and then profited financially. I would prefer a massive fine to the media outlets printing incorrect facts rather than £2m in a thugs bank account. Might be just me?

So would I, but I don’t think you need to worry.

I consider it unlikely JB will be found guilty of ‘beating a woman’.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

2. Look up the meaning of ‘Assault by Beating’, the offence with which JB has been charged.

There is no suggestion or allegation that JB has beaten a woman, his wife or any other woman - apart from in The Sun and from some ill-informed posters on this thread.

So would I, but I don’t think you need to worry.

I consider it unlikely JB will be found guilty of ‘beating a woman’.

Are you purposely ignoring every single media outlet, news broadcaster and internet site out there? 

Are you purposely ignoring the fact he is in court tomorrow charged with assault by beating?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57960977.amp

I’m beginning to think you’re defending the guy

8 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Are you purposely ignoring every single media outlet, news broadcaster and internet site out there? 

Are you purposely ignoring the fact he is in court tomorrow charged with assault by beating?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57960977.amp

I’m beginning to think you’re defending the guy

I would never defend somebody for attacking another person, but there does not have to have been any physical contact for the charge of assault by beating to be applied.  The wording of  the law is very strange and confusing. 

2 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I would never defend somebody for attacking another person, but there does not have to have been any physical contact for the charge of assault by beating to be applied.  The wording of  the law is very strange and confusing. 

But according to various news outlets, all which could be false obviously although I would think if they were false surely Bartons legal team would have been all over this like a rash...the woman concerned did receive an injury but didn't need any treatment.

5 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I haven’t a clue how the law applies to this, but it seems strange that someone could beat another person without any physical contact. On the other hand, it’s possible to assault a person verbally, or psychologically,  which can be just as bad 

3 minutes ago, weepywall said:

But according to various news outlets, all which could be false obviously although I would think if they were false surely Bartons legal team would have been all over this like a rash...the woman concerned did receive an injury but didn't need any treatment.

Sorry, I wasn't saying that the reports were false.  I just meant that the wording of the charge tends to conjour up images of somebody actually getting a beating, black eyes, whatever, when in reality the minor injury may not have been caused by any physical contact.  Violence is in no way acceptable.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I haven’t a clue how the law applies to this, but it seems strange that someone could beat another person without any physical contact. On the other hand, it’s possible to assault a person verbally, or psychologically,  which can be just as bad 

If it was verbal abuse or even the threat of violence, it would normally be a charge of assault.

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15682876/football-manager-joey-barton-charged-attacking-wife/

I don't think they would publish this, without it being his wife.

His wife is on social media saying that there has been no accusation from her or anyone else that JB has been physical or violent towards her.