IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He scored 11 in 27 league starts so a very decent record. I think it's a good signing for Rovers. Felt we never quite got the best out of him here. 

Yeah its a weird one as I thought his record wasn't too bad either.

Probably one of those instances where fans are unable to see past a perceived lack of effort. 

16 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Pitman wasn't the most mobile bloke when he was with us but  I don't think we used him properly and you knew that if the ball fell to him in the box it would likely go in.

However chatting to a Swindon fan earlier this year they couldn't wait to get rid of him, sounds like he can barely/is unwilling to move and has seemingly lost all finishing ability. 

Now it could be a confidence thing or simply being at Swindon but I wouldn't get mu hopes up too much if I were a Rovers fan...

I think that’s the thing, work rate. With Pitman it was like playing with 10 unless the ball was within a yard of him. Great anticipation and good finisher, but you would be carrying him for 89 minutes out of 90. He’s not going to pull defences left right and centre so he’ll need lots of movement and running around him. 

I’d call it a risk at 33. Best days behind him, looks to have beefed up a bit, and could struggle unless Rovers have 10 great athletes around him. If they do, he’ll score goals but if I was a Rovers fan, I wouldn’t be shouting from the tent tops yet.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I think that’s the thing, work rate. With Pitman it was like playing with 10 unless the ball was within a yard of him. Great anticipation and good finisher, but you would be carrying him for 89 minutes out of 90. He’s not going to pull defences left right and centre so he’ll need lots of movement and running around him. 

I’d call it a risk at 33. Best days behind him, looks to have beefed up a bit, and could struggle unless Rovers have 10 great athletes around him. If they do, he’ll score goals but if I was a Rovers fan, I wouldn’t be shouting from the tent tops yet.

I agree with most of what you say, however, I don’t think they could wish for a more high profile signing. It’s as good as they could ever want. 

19 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Yeah its a weird one as I thought his record wasn't too bad either.

Probably one of those instances where fans are unable to see past a perceived lack of effort. 

I think he can look really poor as he’s never been a hard worker and will often do little else other than score. 

I imagine when he has games where he doesn’t score and the team play badly he looks dreadful. 

When buying someone like Pitman, a little bit like Wells in some ways, fans will have to accept that it’s his game.

I reckon he’ll do pretty well for Rovers. Provided he starts most games he should get 15 goals+ in league 2.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

I really liked Brett, had some great skill and control, and scored some wonderful goals but didn’t have the endless energy or running of Andi Weimann. I do remember the fans shouting for him when Maynard was off the boil/refusing to sign but Brett couldn’t step up as a viable replacement. I was sad to see him go, a bit like Matty Taylor

Big fan of Pitman during his time at AG.

Now, at nearly 34, he's reduced to scraping the very bottom of the football barrel by signing for Rovers. 

Sad to see - a thoroughly wretched and ignominious denouement to his career.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Pitman wasn't the most mobile bloke when he was with us but  I don't think we used him properly and you knew that if the ball fell to him in the box it would likely go in.

However chatting to a Swindon fan earlier this year they couldn't wait to get rid of him, sounds like he can barely/is unwilling to move and has seemingly lost all finishing ability. 

Now it could be a confidence thing or simply being at Swindon but I wouldn't get mu hopes up too much if I were a Rovers fan...

Was that partly down to who he replaced? Although he was only on loan Doyle was scoring for fun at Swindon and I got the impression he was much more of a runner.

I was never really a fan of Pitman, yes he scored a few but we didn't have a strong enough team to carry a player who rarely so much as closed a defender down, let alone tracked back or offer some inventive runs. Loosley linked to @exAtyeoMax's point, I think it was because I naively thought we'd replace Maynard with a player that did a similar job off the ball too. Having that direct comparison made his flaws stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I really liked Brett, had some great skill and control, and scored some wonderful goals but didn’t have the endless energy or running of Andi Weimann. I do remember the fans shouting for him when Maynard was off the boil/refusing to sign but Brett couldn’t step up as a viable replacement. I was sad to see him go, a bit like Matty Taylor

Saying Pitman didn’t have the energy or running of Weimann is like saying Susan Boyle doesn’t look like Kate Moss.

Pitman basically plays walking football, he can’t (or won’t) run to save his life.

He is an excellent finisher but as Nogbad says, this is like some famous singer ending up in Broadmead with a cardboard sign & a hat half full of small change, a truly desperate end to a pretty decent career.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Super-Brett can barely hide his excitement

image.thumb.png.d5c096d8961b1ee144a5e3d4f1237be5.png

If they get him the ball in the six yard box he will score goals but don't expect him to chase back and help out the team as he's too unfit and lazy and not much more than a bench warmer Witt 20 minutes to go and the reason Pompey sold him 

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Super-Brett can barely hide his excitement

image.thumb.png.d5c096d8961b1ee144a5e3d4f1237be5.png

There's a sub text here....."If only I'd taken good financial advice, I would have been able to retire gracefully and follow my personal interests, instead of pimping myself out for peanuts and pushing my already wasted body and reputation beyond the point of no return."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, adamski said:

There's a sub text here....."If only I'd taken good financial advice, I would have been able to retire gracefully and follow my personal interests, instead of pimping myself out for peanuts and pushing my already wasted body and reputation beyond the point of no return."

At the end of life, there may well be a choice of Heaven, Hell or Purgatory.  This does not look like Heaven - so the real question should be: Is in Hell or Purgatory?

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

So they are going to "piss" League 2

Wow!

You would have thought after last season that more caution would have been exercised but nope, HMS Piss The League has the keys in the ignition (they certainly wouldn't be able to afford a push button starter out there).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Can't help but think, and I hate to say it, they may actually go well this year. Pitman will score goals , and from what I've seen/read they've recruited quite well.
Swindon, not so sure. Maybe coming out of the clusterfu ... umm Mess,  that was their summer, but IMO that would be a shock, a welcome shock maybe, but a shock.

1895885245_Screenshot2021-07-30at08_13_52.png.986c38c99a62f80131a89cd7eb492790.png

They said they had recruited well last year - especially with some bloke who was the Gillingham capt or some such - look how that turned out!!!

In comparative terms, that's a massive signing for those scumbags (and I don't mean the size of Pitman's arse!) 

A proven scorer at higher levels that they are, albeit several years older than when we used to watch him strolling around doing very little. 

He'll either bang in loads, or be a complete liability for them, with his complete and utter unwillingness to put a shift in. 

Odd signing as a JB choice. 

I bet Rovers fans are touching themselves silly over this one, so we can only hope he has similar impact to Mark Little. 

Edited by Bar BS3