IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

That's horrendous.  Take away their ability to run the shop, forcing them to sale the shop, then they want the takings from the sale . That bit where the club are trying to have a meeting with the volunteers sounds really suspect too. Really sounds like Wael 7 the club are desperate for any money they can get. If that was us , the fans would be going mad. Be interesting to see where this goes.

They forgot to mention that the SC previously reported Wael to the EFL as not being a fit and proper owner, that the Fan's Director on the Board had to be asked to stand down as he didn't respect confidentiality, that, although they had the chance to elect another fan to the position, they haven't bothered.  They've never liked Wael, and now they are reaping what they have sown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

That's horrendous.  Take away their ability to run the shop, forcing them to sale the shop, then they want the takings from the sale . That bit where the club are trying to have a meeting with the volunteers sounds really suspect too. Really sounds like Wael 7 the club are desperate for any money they can get. If that was us , the fans would be going mad. Be interesting to see where this goes.

Reading through the replies, there seems to be a lot more to it and fault on both sides. In the statement the SC says they wanted to spend the 50k on spectators seating at the Colony, but in the replies someone says the club never wanted that.

It seems a bit strange that they should have this sum just sitting there when it has been raised to benefit the football club. This could run and run, wasn't it the SC rep that was kicked out of committee meetings and the "posh seats" a while back? There is far more to rhis than draw tickets.

eric cartman kyle GIF by South Park

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

My Lord, have you seen this?         You can take the girl out of the shite, but you can't take the shite out of the girl !

"Not many teams come here and win"

Well Bristol Rovers certainly haven't made a habit of it.

"The fan base is massive"

I'm assuming he means it as in overweight. Because he can't mean their numbers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I had a conversation last week with a few Sags. I decided to test out the Gas logic theory. I said that I thought that the problem with some Rovers and City supporters (mentioned us gurt Ted's as well as I didn't want them to immediately start a fight) think that the club is bigger than it actually is. I said that realistically City should find it difficult to stay in the Championship and that Rovers are where they should be.

As soon as I mentioned Rovers level being League Two one of them mentioned that they could easily be in the Championship or pushing for the Championship because of their 'fanbase'.

After reading your post, I was interested enough to wonder what the leagues would look like if we based everything on average attendance.

I found the 2019-20 stats ( http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveeng.htm ) for the last pre-covid attendances and then sorted them into one big list and then put them into divisions.

Obviously it's a flawed way of judging teams, but (purely on attendance) it shows that we are not crazy to think we should be pushing for the Championship play offs.

Whereas Rovers should be grateful at a mid table League One place. Talk of the Championship for them is insanity.

c2N2XAA.jpg

mB5hamj.jpg

PYuLppE.jpg

J9lU7M2.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, In the Net said:

They forgot to mention that the SC previously reported Wael to the EFL as not being a fit and proper owner, that the Fan's Director on the Board had to be asked to stand down as he didn't respect confidentiality, that, although they had the chance to elect another fan to the position, they haven't bothered.  They've never liked Wael, and now they are reaping what they have sown.

There is bound to be the club's side of the story. They must be applauded for questioning his standing when he came in.

It was said he was a billionaire , clearly untrue.
He had tried to buy other clubs, so to some just appeared to be playing at Football director.
Too keen to hog the limelight, that video being carried shoulder high is cringeworthy .
Even the Evening Post weighed in, that £15k watch ?

I had serious doubts about his motives, TBF he's done a lot more than I thought he would, but there are still questions only time will answer.
Now, that said, the SC may have their own agenda and may have their own little megalomaniac in charge. I don't know, but none of that sounds good, and no one will come out smelling of roses.

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Reading through the replies, there seems to be a lot more to it and fault on both sides. In the statement the SC says they wanted to spend the 50k on spectators seating at the Colony, but in the replies someone says the club never wanted that.

It seems a bit strange that they should have this sum just sitting there when it has been raised to benefit the football club. This could run and run, wasn't it the SC rep that was kicked out of committee meetings and the "posh seats" a while back? There is far more to rhis than draw tickets.

eric cartman kyle GIF by South Park

As I alluded to, 2 sides to every story. I don't think it sounds that unusual to hold onto the money, given they have a reduced income and, for whatever reason are in dispute with the thing they raise money for. We know Clubs , specially ones owned by a single person, don't really like outsiders elbowing their way into the day to day. Specially if they see them diluting their own income streams. On the other side, supporters clubs often see owners as interlopers into their club, I get how it becomes adversarial . 

What we could do with , is a local unbiased , proper News paper to investigate the situation. One that doesn't fawn over expensive watches.

9 hours ago, In the Net said:

In what respect did they not think Wally was a fit and proper person?

We take the piss (as is our purpose), but from the outside he appears to be someone who cleared a debt of immediate concern, restructured the financing of the club through the offshore Duane Sport (franchise!) and has continued to capitalise debt and back a huge succession of managers.

Dare say that like most owners, he'll reflect on millions wasted, but on the face of it, he seems to be attempting revolution whilst being forced to spend evolution money.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We take the piss (as is our purpose), but from the outside he appears to be someone who cleared a debt of immediate concern, restructured the financing of the club through the offshore Duane Sport (franchise!) and has continued to capitalise debt and back a huge succession of managers.

Dare say that like most owners, he'll reflect on millions wasted, but on the face of it, he seems to be attempting revolution whilst being forced to spend evolution money.

Probably something like "we're a local club, for local people"

comedy GIF

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

After reading your post, I was interested enough to wonder what the leagues would look like if we based everything on average attendance.

I found the 2019-20 stats ( http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveeng.htm ) for the last pre-covid attendances and then sorted them into one big list and then put them into divisions.

Obviously it's a flawed way of judging teams, but (purely on attendance) it shows that we are not crazy to think we should be pushing for the Championship play offs.

Whereas Rovers should be grateful at a mid table League One place. Talk of the Championship for them is insanity.

c2N2XAA.jpg

mB5hamj.jpg

PYuLppE.jpg

J9lU7M2.jpg

...and yet their fans love to say how we’re a small club in the Championship, clearly not when it comes to support.

Looks like they were punching above their weight in L1 as well.

Mind the gap.

• Like 1

Their support is about 1% of the population of Bristol.  Nobody is interested in them outside Bristol and not even very many within.

Their fans punch horses and their manager punches anyone.

And what's all this about wanting to spend £50,000 on seats at the colony when they can't even fill up £50,000 worth of seats at the Minimal.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Their support is about 1% of the population of Bristol.  Nobody is interested in them outside Bristol and not even very many within.

Their fans punch horses and their manager punches anyone.

And what's all this about wanting to spend £50,000 on seats at the colony when they can't even fill up £50,000 worth of seats at the Minimal.

Better than that, reading that thread, it appears they would like to install seating/a stand at a training ground where the planning for the ground specifically excludes spectator events.

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

From memory, I think that a parent complained because a coach swore at their child during a training session for one of the younger teams.  The complaint was dealt with by the club, however, the SC turned it into a Child Protection matter and based their report to the EFL on this.

The SC have some great volunteers, however, the hierarchy are stuck in 1975, when they got special treatment for doing the bidding of the Board.  They are not open to new ideas, and it's literally a case of "repel all boarders" if somebody with fresh ideas expresses an interest in joining the Committee.  They've never been a mouthpiece for the fans in the past, not wanting to upset the apple cart in case their noses were removed from the trough.  They got in a huff when Wael arrived, because the Chairman of the SC was not one of the first people he arranged to meet, and they've reinforced their dislike whenever possible.  

I know it's not perfect, but looking in from the outside, yours Fans Trust seems much more focused on representing the views of the fanbase, and liaising with the club in a civil manner. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, In the Net said:

From memory, I think that a parent complained because a coach swore at their child during a training session for one of the younger teams.  The complaint was dealt with by the club, however, the SC turned it into a Child Protection matter and based their report to the EFL on this.

The SC have some great volunteers, however, the hierarchy are stuck in 1975, when they got special treatment for doing the bidding of the Board.  They are not open to new ideas, and it's literally a case of "repel all boarders" if somebody with fresh ideas expresses an interest in joining the Committee.  They've never been a mouthpiece for the fans in the past, not wanting to upset the apple cart in case their noses were removed from the trough.  They got in a huff when Wael arrived, because the Chairman of the SC was not one of the first people he arranged to meet, and they've reinforced their dislike whenever possible.  

I know it's not perfect, but looking in from the outside, yours Fans Trust seems much more focused on representing the views of the fanbase, and liaising with the club in a civil manner. 

Back in the day 80s/90s, a well run supporters club would provide their club with proper financial support, but with the cost of football now being huge and the losses massive the contribution these groups makes is increasingly insignificant and if they have previously been given areas of hospitality that don't work financially then it makes sense for clubs to reconsider their options.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You're missing the genius idea of using tents inside stadiums. 

They are going to spend £50k on 50,000 of these:

YQ8xxcc.jpg

As they are 2 people tents, they instantly get a capacity of 100k.

12 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

My Lord, have you seen this?         You can take the girl out of the shite, but you can't take the shite out of the girl !

Not many teams come here and get results.. Just the 14 teams who managed to get wins at the Mem then last season Chris? ?

• Haha 8

29 minutes ago, cityal said:

6005 - capacity is 12300

You can see why they argue they need a bigger stadium - "packing in" just under 50% of their capacity for league games.

We took a 3rd of that to Reading,  it's a 3rd of our home gate on Saturday, and they and the local press still refer to the "Blue Half". 

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

This bloke is clearly deluded. I’ve heard the name but couldn’t pick him out in a line up.  Everything about this interview is Micky mouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityal said:

6005 - capacity is 12300

You can see why they argue they need a bigger stadium - "packing in" just under 50% of their capacity for league games.

I thought they said it was going to be a full house? couldn't fill a wendy house! 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 1