IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Football fan credits daughter with changing his racist beliefs

On Thursday, England play their first match since the Euro 2020 final against Italy, where three players were racially abused in the hours and days after the game.

BBC reporter Manish Pandey has been speaking to football fan Neil, who says he was a racist and a bigot until his daughter Millie showed him that his behaviour was unacceptable.

He said he used to go along with racist chants at football matches but is ashamed of his former behaviour and now describes himself as "anti-racist".

Football fan credits daughter with changing his racist beliefs - BBC News

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

Admirable of the man and especially his daughter.

I have always been sceptical that you can change a racist's attitude through public education campaigns as it assumes that racism is an objective, rational mindset people can be persuaded out of with facts.

So it needs people close to them to help them see the error of their ways perhaps.

• Like 1

The thing that gets me about these, and a number of their signings this summer; is how Barton thinks they are better than what he already has?

He seems to think just getting any new players in, will address their slide (They were 4th In League 1, 20 months ago when Coughlan left).

Whereas the reality, is a settled team/formation/ethos is the best way forward through progression; and the team getting used to playing with one another. You're not going to get that with constant chopping and changing.

The main question is who signs off on these transfers? He can only field 11 players + subs, and Rovers are out of the Carabo cup now. There's no point bringing players in, if you're not going to play them.

The majority of the players coming in, have also not played regularly; and are generally without a club. They won't be either match or physically fit enough to cope with the demands of professional football for at least a few weeks. It's very different to bringing in players that are currently playing week in, week out for their clubs.

It's just a bizarre, really bizarre way to manage. I can only think that a number of the signings this summer, must be thinking "Oh, my god what have i signed on to". Barton probably promised them this, or that; and then went out and bought more players in their position.

It's all leading up to a complete car crash of a season.

• Like 1

This gives Barton a fair few more weeks if results are still poor, he will just come out with the "we have to give them time to gel, to get where we want to be". 

It is very strange just signing all of the players he has done, and he still won't take any personal responsibility if they don't fly up the league, or indeed he ends up with a fair few players just taking their wage.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think that’s the back of the club offices? 

I’m sure we all remember the glorious opening ceremony when Dumbo HQ was hoisted in by crane.

Absolute cabbage of a club.

IMG_2505.JPG.be82324cf0cc2f332a7a8833b72701f7.JPG

and they probably even nicked that from a building site - there is a foreman somewhere looking for his office

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Who he supports isn’t relevant. Good to see that video. The younger gen need to keep trying to change views. 

I couldn't be certain that he's a Rovers fan - although its highly likely given the visual clues and subject matter - and added the question mark as a caveat.

I preferred the headline to concentrate on the uplifting story, which it is, rather than give the impression of a clickbait post about racism.

That guy is extremely brave and hats off to him and his daughter.

21 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

And on today's episode of 'Things that didn't happen'...

I wonder if the idea that this happened actually frightens you? It's quite an uncomfortable thought to think that others reflect on their behaviour, learn and improve because it raises a lot of questions about your own responsibilities to yourself and to society.

The fact something frightens you is not a reason not to believe in it or to confront it. I see no plausible reason why someone would pretend to have been a racist if they were not nor for someone to produce a fake article. Occam's razor suggests that this almost certainly did happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

"They are treating us well and are very kind to us. We get on well, they really do care about us.

Please carry out their demands so we can go home soon...."

Like the Stockholm syndrome?

Stockholm syndrome is a condition in which hostages develop a psychological bond with their captors during captivity. Emotional bonds may be formed between captors and captives, during intimate time together, but these are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims.

"The gaffer says that they are a massive club with a huge fan base & he's going to get us out of League Two really soon"

"The owner promised me his watch if I play well"

"He's the bestest manager I've ever met already, innit"

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

This gives Barton a fair few more weeks if results are still poor, he will just come out with the "we have to give them time to gel, to get where we want to be". 

It is very strange just signing all of the players he has done, and he still won't take any personal responsibility if they don't fly up the league, or indeed he ends up with a fair few players just taking their wage.

The thing that amuses me is that they know he could well be spending a period visiting her Majesty at some point and must be thinking of giving him the heave ho as he's crap yet they continually allow him to sign all these no marks.

They truly are screwed as the next Manager won't be able to sign anyone as he's stuck with all the jailbirds dross.

Happy days! :)

They did beat Cheltenham under 12's in their cup final last night though. ?

I see that the Sag plumper Josh Barrett has seen the light and will be leaving the Blue Few within the next 24hrs, leaving the way clear for Ronnie Whelan to sign. Or is it Glenn Whelan? Not sure which one is the youngest. 

Does it matter? ?

Ps - Barrett leaving - Greggs now standing down a night shift...

1 minute ago, BS3City said:

I see that the Sag plumper Josh Barrett has seen the light and will be leaving the Blue Few within the next 24hrs, leaving the way clear for Ronnie Whelan to sign. Or is it Glenn Whelan? Not sure which one is the youngest. 

Does it matter? ?

Ps - Barrett leaving - Greggs now standing down a night shift...

How do you even know who they are?

The bloke you mention (Barrett) could be stood next to me & I wouldn’t have a clue who he was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

How do you even know who they are?

The bloke you mention (Barrett) could be stood next to me & I wouldn’t have a clue who he was.

Keeping up to date with the shenanigans at the Mem Stad is essential when taking the piss in work GC.

As for Josh Barrett you would recognise him - he's the one with crumbs around his mouth...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The giveaway would be the scarf he’d be holding, like a hitchhiker trying to get away ASAP, and the haunted look in his eyes - as though he’d had a recent encounter with the Devil Incarnate (or ‘Gaffer’ as Joey likes to be called). 

• Haha 1