IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

To be fair the Game we got promoted at Bradford we only took about 900 when most clubs would of sold it out for a promotion game and the season before that we only took 393 up there so we can’t really take the piss considering we were a league higher .

TBF it was MID WEEK, had it been the Saturday we'd have sold out no probs ! I thought nearly 1000 was ok, so don't be a sag apologist ,please !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, daored said:

Unfortunately for Bradford the home end will be empty now, as the hordes switch their tickets to the away end 

....luckily that will free up space for genuine Bradford fans who will now get to see their CUP FINAL!!!

Lucky, lucky Bradford fans. Hope they appreciate Joeys geriatric superstars visiting them. They’ll never see the away end so full. Probably lose a few players after the match as they cling on the back of the Gas coach screaming “give us a contract Joey!”

• Haha 1

We were mocked relentlessly on social media and football forums by other fans for our away support at that Bradford promotion games. Let’s be honest with ourselves, it was a really poor turnout for such a big occasion.

I’m sure we hadn’t been crowing beforehand about how we were gonna take thousands and have fans in the home end though. ?

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

We were mocked relentlessly on social media and football forums by other fans for our away support at that Bradford promotion games. It was a bit embarrassing 

Sadly Social Media is full of cretins. Whilst I personally didn’t witness this relentless mocking, I don’t doubt that it happened in some parts of Facebook and Twitter. But then it’s easy for supporters of clubs based in the Midlands or within 2 hours of Bradford to take the piss. 

The facts are that it’s 5 hours from Bristol to Bradford not including any rush hour conditions on a weekday. No train available to return that night. Bradford were themselves in the hunt for a Play Off spot so it’s not like we just had to show up and collect our 3 points.

I think under the circumstances there’s nothing wrong with 900 no matter what some slack jawed, dribbling ‘living at home with his mum’ Villa/Leeds/Derby fan on FB thinks.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Sadly Social Media is full of cretins. Whilst I personally didn’t witness this relentless mocking, I don’t doubt that it happened in some parts of Facebook and Twitter. But then it’s easy for supporters of clubs based in the Midlands or within 2 hours of Bradford to take the piss. 

The facts are that it’s 5 hours from Bristol to Bradford not including any rush hour conditions on a weekday. No train available to return that night. Bradford were themselves in the hunt for a Play Off spot so it’s not like we just had to show up and collect our 3 points.

I think under the circumstances there’s nothing wrong with 900 no matter what some slack jawed, dribbling ‘living at home with his mum’ Villa/Leeds/Derby fan on FB thinks.

Mmm thing is, Plymouth had a midweek trip to Rochdale a few years earlier in which they won promotion and they took around 1500 for an even longer journey. That was where some of the comparisons were being made and if we’re honest, it doesn’t make us look good.

I think it’s just like other people have said, we don’t travel well past the midlands but our away support in the London and West Midlands area is pretty decent.. (although obviously nothing compared to the hoards that Rovers take everywhere)

Edited by Wanderingred

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Mmm thing is, Plymouth had a midweek trip to Rochdale a few years earlier in which they won promotion and they took around 1500 for an even longer journey. That was where some of the comparisons were being made and if we’re honest, it doesn’t make us look good.

I think it’s just like other people have said, we don’t travel well past the midlands but our away support in the London and West Midlands area is pretty decent.. (although obviously nothing compared to the hoards that Rovers take everywhere)

But we are honest about it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

As much as I hate to admit it Plymouth have excellent away support and often put our numbers, and certainly Rovers numbers, to shame. Thing is, considering their unremarkable history they also put many other ‘bigger’ clubs to shame....no doubt clubs who’s fans mock EVERYONES support.

Its easy to fill away ends when most of your away trips are within 2 hours of home, it’s also easy to fill away ends when you have large numbers of supporters all over the country descended from glory hunters who ditched their local teams 30/40 years ago to ‘support’ the great Leeds side of the 70s or other formally successful top flight clubs.

We do OK, Plymouth do as well if not a bit better. Rovers (the most deluded of the Westcountry) seem to think that 400 here and 500 there makes their away support ‘massive’.

Funny little club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Not being an apologist just being a realist , most clubs no matter what league they are in would of sold it out .

Really, based on what? What their fans say on Social Media? ?

I think you mean ‘some’ clubs “no matter what“ would’ve sold out...not most. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Really, based on what? What their fans say on Social Media? ?

I think you mean ‘some’ clubs “no matter what“ would’ve sold out...not most. 

Yes believe it or not most clubs would sell out a promotion game midweek or not . You can be a city fan and still understand our away support is pretty bad . Sorry if I hurt your feelings .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Yes believe it or not most clubs would sell out a promotion game midweek or not . You can be a city fan and still understand our away support is pretty bad . Sorry if I hurt your feelings .

Presuming you mean league clubs in this, I would argue that 47 of the football league clubs (over 50%, therefore 'most') wouldn't sell out a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, even if it was a game where their club could clinch promotion. 

Not saying our away support is good, we all know that North of Birmingham we often struggle to take decent numbers, but I'm not sure you can use a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, where we still took 900, as a barometer by which to measure it

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

As much as I hate to admit it Plymouth have excellent away support and often put our numbers, and certainly Rovers numbers, to shame. Thing is, considering their unremarkable history they also put many other ‘bigger’ clubs to shame....no doubt clubs who’s fans mock EVERYONES support.

Its easy to fill away ends when most of your away trips are within 2 hours of home, it’s also easy to fill away ends when you have large numbers of supporters all over the country descended from glory hunters who ditched their local teams 30/40 years ago to ‘support’ the great Leeds side of the 70s or other formally successful top flight clubs.

We do OK, Plymouth do as well if not a bit better. Rovers (the most deluded of the Westcountry) seem to think that 400 here and 500 there makes their away support ‘massive’.

Funny little club.

I equate Plymouth with Norwich - always travel in great numbers despite it being a hundred miles before you get anywhere (OK, it`s a bit less for Norwich but you get the point).

I`ve posted this before but a few weeks before the end of the season we got promoted there was every chance Swindon could have come up with us and Argyle could have been promoted from League 2 (neither happened obviously) - if that had happened, Argyle`s closest game the following season would have been Walsall!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Presuming you mean league clubs in this, I would argue that 47 of the football league clubs (over 50%, therefore 'most') wouldn't sell out a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, even if it was a game where their club could clinch promotion. 

Not saying our away support is good, we all know that North of Birmingham we often struggle to take decent numbers, but I'm not sure you can use a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, where we still took 900, as a barometer by which to measure it

I still think most would tbh , I just don’t think we can mock away support even if it is the scum when ours is pretty bad tbh . We may sell ok at Birmingham but even places in the midlands like wolves we really struggle for numbers , millwall for example we only took 600ish and it’s one of our closer games .

Haha, you didn’t hurt my feelings, I just never understand why so many City fans feel the need to slate our relatively average away support at every opportunity? ? 
If consistently averaging 1100-1300 every season away despite the miles we have to travel compared to many other teams in the Championship is “pretty bad” in your opinion then fair enough....I just think you’re a bit deluded in your expectations.

I think we do ok, nothing spectacular but like I say, we don’t benefit from some of the advantages that other clubs have that I mentioned in my previous post.

So most clubs would sell out a midweek 10 hour round trip just because you say so? Ok, cheers.

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I still think most would tbh , I just don’t think we can mock away support even if it is the scum when ours is pretty bad tbh . We may sell ok at Birmingham but even places in the midlands like wolves we really struggle for numbers , millwall for example we only took 600ish and it’s one of our closer games .

So you think 47 league clubs would sell 1800 for a midweek game 5 hours away? I'm not sure tbh, I think you overestimate other sides support there. 

I'm not sure our away support is as bad as you claim either. We'll average over 1100 this season again, most likely, despite being one of the most geographically challenged clubs in the league. We aren't a big club, nobody is claiming that, so I would say that is a pretty OK average following, certainly not a bad one for the size of our club

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The point here is that we don`t come over all Billy Big Bollix about taking a few hundred to Lincoln or wherever and try and make out it`s something special, exaggerate the numbers and bang on about how brilliant the home fans thought the away following was.

If we have a disappointing away turnout we say so, we don`t carry on like morons about how wonderful it was and how every other club in the land envies our `massive away support` like those melts do. If they just kept quiet about it we wouldn`t take the piss quite so much (OK, perhaps we would!)

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

The point here is that we don`t come over all Billy Big Bollix about taking a few hundred to Lincoln or wherever and try and make out it`s something special, exaggerate the numbers and bang on about how brilliant the home fans thought the away following was.

If we have a disappointing away turnout we say so, we don`t carry on like morons about how wonderful it was and how every other club in the land envies our `massive away support` like those melts do. If they just kept quiet about it we wouldn`t take the piss quite so much (OK, perhaps we would!)

Absolutely this!

Hence why I never mock other clubs away support unless it’s the Gas, who are fair game because they make themselves fair game.

Im not sure why this causing confusion to be honest?

• Like 2

City fans don’t go on about away support. Rovers fans continually big up there myth of a fantastic away support. All clubs take a decent following now and again even small clubs like rovers. It’s a load of bollocks they have fantastic away support the same as only them and Tottenham have made fantastic progress with their grounds. Rovers from fans to owner are very delusional. But they need to be because of their immense insecurities. I’ve been following Grimsby Towns progress this season due to Towlers loan. Check out their away support in the conference. That’s impressive. 

Gas Pricks

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Haha, you didn’t hurt my feelings, I just never understand why so many City fans feel the need to slate our relatively average away support at every opportunity? ? 
If consistently averaging 1100-1300 every season away despite the miles we have to travel compared to many other teams in the Championship is “pretty bad” in your opinion then fair enough....I just think you’re a bit deluded in your expectations.

I think we do ok, nothing spectacular but like I say, we don’t benefit from some of the advantages that other clubs have that I mentioned in my previous post.

So most clubs would sell out a midweek 10 hour round trip just because you say so? Ok, cheers.

Yes for a promotion game most would , we had no problem selling out Man City away even though we had less chance of winning than we did at Bradford but as usual our supporters only show up when we play a prem team .

31 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Funny little club.

If you had an excuse to get out of Plymouth every fortnight then you would use it wouldn't you? 

*Actually don't mind the club or place except when we play them. Have family there and as said they do travel well. 

Edited by Rebounder
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

We are a bigger club compared to most currently at this level and for that, our away support is shite.

Bigger club compared to most?

Forest, Derby, Sheffield Utd, Boro, Birmingham City, Coventry, West Brom, Stoke, Fulham are all bigger clubs. You could argue that Huddersfield, Blackburn are as well. We’re not ‘bigger’ than QPR, Swansea, Cardiff, Preston, Hull, Barnsley and Millwall. Bournemouth have recent Premier League history.

What does that leave us with?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We'll be sixth or seventh in the home attendances. No one near that in away attendances.

We are a bigger club compared to most currently at this level and for that, our away support is shite.

Exactly the point I’m trying to get across , for a team that averaged over 20,000 pre Covid our away support is embarrassing. People ramble on about our location but Plymouth manage ok and Sunderland Middlesbrough Norwich and Ipswich.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Bigger club compared to most?

Forest, Derby, Sheffield Utd, Boro, Birmingham City, Coventry, West Brom, Stoke, Fulham are all bigger clubs. You could argue that Huddersfield, Blackburn are as well. We’re not ‘bigger’ than QPR, Swansea, Cardiff, Preston, Hull, Barnsley and Millwall. Bournemouth have recent Premier League history.

What does that leave us with?

So Swindon , Oldham and Bradford are bigger than city by that logic , also Bournemouth are bigger than Wednesday and forest  because they have been in the top flight more recently ??

Edited by Wiltshire robin

Yes for a promotion game most would , we had no problem selling out Man City away even though we had less chance of winning than we did at Bradford but as usual our supporters only show up when we play a prem team .

Most would...because you say so. You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’re wrong. Had it been promotion to the Prem I dare say we probably would’ve sold out. As a Championship/L1 yo yo club for most of our history this wasn’t as huge a game as I think you’re making out. 

You’re comparing it to the semi finals of the League Cup against one of the best teams in Europe at a ground we’ve never visited before and may never visit again....ok

26 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

So Swindon , Oldham and Bradford are bigger than city by that logic , also Bournemouth are bigger than Wednesday and forest  because they have been in the top flight more recently ??

Were Swindon, Oldham and Bradford in the Premier League as recently as 2 years ago?

Wednesday and Forest are huge clubs no matter what division they’re in.

I shouldn’t have to explain this to an adult.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Haha 1