IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Tell you what... Why don't you tell us what possible reasoning you have to believe that JB was referring to anything other than the same Holocaust as everyone else has taken him to be referencing in his interview....? 

You really think that that plank carefully selected the exact choice of his words, to carefully, but clearly, differentiate between the dictionary definition (which wouldn't actually make sense, with what he was trying to get across) or what everyone else has heard and taken issue with..?! 

It's only you, trying to come across as some accedimic linguist, who is making excuses for what he said. Not, I suspect, with any validation, other than to point out that you know the difference between "a holocaust" & "The Holocaust" 

I'd wager good money on it that JB didn't know the difference, when he made such stupid reference, in relation to his football teams performance..! 

If you bothered to read what I'd written (clearly you haven't,) you'd have noted it seems to me a clear case of catachresis. Barton didn't carefully select his words. You can witness him struggling to think of something to say, hence his pause, then he comes up with 'holocaust' quickly realising it's doesn't fit his sentence structure, that it's meaningless, then progresses to expound using other, meaningful and appropriate terms.

I, too, guess Barton wouldn't know a holocaust if he saw one, but neither do I think he referenced an act of genocide. Rather his 'crime' was to use the wrong word, out of context.

Now had he used the term 'shoah' things would have gotten complex....

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Tell you what... Why don't you tell us what possible reasoning you have to believe that JB was referring to anything other than the same Holocaust as everyone else has taken him to be referencing in his interview....?

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

You can see him struggling to think of something to say, he plucks the word 'holocaust' from somewhere but contextually it's meaningless.

I think this is the point of what he is trying to get at unless I am mistaken.

Obviously Barton shouldn't have said it, and I think it just came out as that was the only word that came into his head for some unknown reason, when he was trying to be smart by getting in more excuses. I cannot stand the bloke and he really should have just come out and said he didn't mean it as it seems, apologise and move on (and the Club should have too). But I don't think there was any meaning behind what he said just by going by the way it came out.

42 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

If you bothered to read what I'd written (clearly you haven't,) you'd have noted it seems to me a clear case of catachresis. Barton didn't carefully select his words. You can witness him struggling to think of something to say, hence his pause, then he comes up with 'holocaust' quickly realising it's doesn't fit his sentence structure, that it's meaningless, then progresses to expound using other, meaningful and appropriate terms.

I, too, guess Barton wouldn't know a holocaust if he saw one, but neither do I think he referenced an act of genocide. Rather his 'crime' was to use the wrong word, out of context.

Now had he used the term 'shoah' things would have gotten complex....

Ah right... I'm with you now..... 

That makes perfect sense. I've lost count of the amount of times where I've been trying to describe something and my mind has gone blank.... 

Fortunately & coincidentally, when I can't think of the word that I'm trying to fine, the work Holocaust is usually the one that springs to mind and finds its way into my narrative.... 

Oh, no, hang on a minute... No it doesn't. Ever...! 

I fact, I'd go so far as to say, with some confidence, that it's a word that I have never heard anyone, ever, accidentally use, or other than in specific use, related to the well accounted, historical atrocities, I don't think I've ever heard the word crop up in any conversation that I've ever had with anyone..! 

Why you'd honestly believe/kid yourself, that it's was some sort of Freudian slip is beyond me...! 

At best, he thought he was being clever/unique - at worst, he seems to think its OK to use as reference to something that's not very good, in terms of something as trivial as a football match. 

• Like 1

Anyone remember the time otib was hacked? Going back a bit. Someone on this thread made a slightly insensitive comment about Jewish people (not anti-Semitic of course) in the aftermath. 

Moving along to Bristol Rovers... here's a thought. Given that Paul Tisdale did a much better job at Rovers than Mr Barton, why did he get the sack and JB hasn't? Did he not reference the massive away support sufficiently or go on enough about the huge potential of the blue "half" of the catchment area?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

Anyone remember the time otib was hacked? Going back a bit. Someone on this thread made a slightly insensitive comment about Jewish people (not anti-Semitic of course) in the aftermath. 

Moving along to Bristol Rovers... here's a thought. Given that Paul Tisdale did a much better job at Rovers than Mr Barton, why did he get the sack and JB hasn't? Did he not reference the massive away support sufficiently or go on enough about the huge potential of the blue "half" of the catchment area?

It was because there was, “one of dem she’eds in da ome dug out werenit”

6 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

Because Tisdale had the cheek to take a wage while Joey is treating them like a charity case and working Pro Bono?

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Because Tisdale had the cheek to take a wage while Joey is treating them like a charity case and working Pro Bono?

more like his wages are being banked towards any bail money he might need.

i would much rather he was remembered as the rovers manager that got sent down as opposed to binned out over stupid comment

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

I think this is the point of what he is trying to get at unless I am mistaken.

Obviously Barton shouldn't have said it, and I think it just came out as that was the only word that came into his head for some unknown reason, when he was trying to be smart by getting in more excuses. I cannot stand the bloke and he really should have just come out and said he didn't mean it as it seems, apologise and move on (and the Club should have too). But I don't think there was any meaning behind what he said just by going by the way it came out.

That may well be the case, in which case, and soon as you can, you’d put out a statement saying it was a shocking choice of phrase and it was absolutely not your intention to cause offence. Instead, Rovers tried to airbrush the comment out of existence and nether the club, the owner or Barton themselves have admitted it was an error of judgement. Deleting that part of the video is bolting the door after the horse has bolted and gives the impression of guilt. Tinpot all round and so easily could have been avoided. 

One of the things that does bother me more than the answers Barton gave to his post match interview, isn't the a/the holocaust comment, but the reaction of the Club.

By deleting his comments, regardless of what he intended to say or indeed how the world would view them, is the way they re-uploaded the interview with that statement removed; and then their refusal to comment.

Sadly, and I don't say this to score points or to further any existing animosity with our neighbours, they behave like 'holocaust deniers'.

Do I think Joey said the wrong thing? Yes. 

Do I think he meant it in the way it is being portrayed? No.

Have Rovers made it worse? Absolutely.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You really think that that plank carefully selected the exact choice of his words, to carefully, but clearly, differentiate between the dictionary definition (which wouldn't actually make sense, with what he was trying to get across) or what everyone else has heard and taken issue with..?! 

It's only you who is making excuses for what he said. Not, I suspect, with any validation, other than to point out that you know the difference between "a holocaust" & "The Holocaust" 

I'd wager good money on it that JB didn't know the difference, when he made such stupid reference, in relation to his football teams performance..! 

For the record, it is not only @BTRFTG.

Whilst I would not seek to try and condone JB's extraordinarily clumsy, crass comment, surely nobody truly believes he was trying to compare his players' catastrophic football performances with the genocide of some six million people; mainly Jews, of course, but also, lest we forget, a large number of Roma, ethnic Poles, homosexuals and disabled people, i.e. a horrific, heinous act commonly known as The Holocaust (or Shoah in Hebrew {in relation to the genocide of the Jewish majority of victims}). 

I am convinced that JB, who we all know likes to portray himself as an intellectual, was merely seeking a 'big' word to explain, or expand, his description and made a semantic error, a catachresis as @BTRFTG said earlier.

What I do not understand and find difficult to excuse is the fact that neither JB nor BRFC appear to have commented, much less apologised, when surely just a few words, a simple acknowledgement that, in hindsight/upon reflection, JB's 'unfortunate' choice of words was inappropriate. 

Whilst, rightly or wrongly and for whatever reason, it is possible that neither JB nor BRFC felt an apology was warranted, I believe that, had they reacted promptly, this whole affair would have already blown over.    

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/18776/club-reputation

Some gem comments in here - 

I don't profess to know much about running a football club, but one thing that seems almost blatantly obvious to me, is that recent referees, seem to be treating Rovers differently to opposition teams, a certain amount of "levelling up" as it were. I am convinced this is due to the person in charge, and the amount of grief he has given and caused within the football fraternity.

His, not the Clubs. I can't see it making much of a difference. The attendance is pretty much as it would be considering our league position, our away support is phenominal, I bet hospitality hasn't seen a dip in bookings, one Man? Ruining it?

Ah, the old 'referees are against us' line and that 'away support' thing again....

I wasn't even aware they had a 'reputation' to be honest, news to me...yet more delusion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/10/2021 at 23:34, zippycar said:

image.thumb.png.96e12d2ff83f9840de563b98949fa1de.png

You'd think for some one who has read Nietzsche and has shown an interest in George Orwell, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Ernest Shackleton, he'd at least know what certain words mean before he used them. Turns out he just needed a Collins dictionary. Terrible choice of word and context.

7 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

You'd think for some one who has read Nietzsche and has shown an interest in George Orwell, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Ernest Shackleton, he'd at least know what certain words mean before he used them. Turns out he just needed a Collins dictionary. Terrible choice of word and context.

How is he with Homer?

Just trying to lighten the mood.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

The attendance is pretty much as it would be considering our league position, our away support is phenominal, 

It’s not phenomenal, it’s currently about the same as Hartlepool and below the likes of Tranmere and Oldham as was proved on here recently.

Deluded Clowns.

• Like 1