IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

12 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

When I first spoke to Wael about the job, it was because you knew Bristol was an untapped resource. It’s a gold mine that no-one has tapped fully.

Bristol City have had a go with Lansdown and they’ve invested in their infrastructure, but you’ve never had a European Cup tie played in a city that’s as big as Liverpool. You’ve never had a Premier League game played here and I’m looking at that and going ‘How?’

I know what he's saying - which makes a change - but football didn't just begin in 1992, Joey.  Some of us can remember going to watch City in what was then England's premier league.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

When I first spoke to Wael about the job, it was because you knew Bristol was an untapped resource. It’s a gold mine that no-one has tapped fully.

Bristol City have had a go with Lansdown and they’ve invested in their infrastructure, but you’ve never had a European Cup tie played in a city that’s as big as Liverpool. You’ve never had a Premier League game played here and I’m looking at that and going ‘How?’

With the passionate sports fans that are in the city, with the resources that are in the city, how has that not happened?”

I wonder how many more potential owners or managers we have outside of the city as I have always assumed we are seen as a second class football City with a small Football team which we really are not. 

Is calling for Lansdowns head that far fetch of an idea? Has he really “saved us” as we are led to believe or has he underhandedly been hindering us for years for reasons we can’t or are unwilling to comprehend. One things for sure Barton is 100 % correct with the above statement.

Its criminal how we have not had top flight football in this City and ambition has to change. Mike Ashley did not ruin Newcastle but the fan base certainly were not happy ?‍♂️Are we comparible to their situation???

I think it is a close case to ours and more similar than we care to consider.

I note your commentary has been dumped in the Rovers thread. I am unsure that was the right thing, but hey ho I guess someone has the power. 

In answer. BRFC have never been in the top flight of English football and have always been mediocre. Playing at crap grounds with dreadful facilities completely taking the piss out of the blue few that remain loyal. The bloke Wael has come in and continued that tradition 

BCFC in the past 111years have spent 4(Four) years in the top flight. The constant identification of the bloke who has massively changed everything about the club as being a failure is not only wrong but takes no account of what came before. With the exception of Harry this club has lurched between divvy 2 3 & 4 while going close to extinction a situation that took years to get over and many on here think we never did. 

Mr Lansdown has made errors, however many of them were supported by fans until it was obvious tan error was made. However the bringing in of LJ followed by Holden endorsed by Ashton SL can take complete ownership of.  AND TO FAIR HE DOES! 

We are a football back water where players don’t want to come by and large. This is why the only team that made the top flight was overwhelmingly home grown, which is what Pearson is trying to achieve now. 

Yes I’m a s pissed off as the next girl about our form and constant failure. My bloody family have lived and died through it. But until we are no longer seen as the City that Barton alludes we will have to rely on bring another crop of kids through. 

Just now, lukebcfc1989 said:

With the passionate sports fans that are in the city, with the resources that are in the city, how has that not happened?”

I wonder how many more potential owners or managers we have outside of the city as I have always assumed we are seen as a second class football City with a small Football team which we really are not. 

Is calling for Lansdowns head that far fetch of an idea? Has he really “saved us” as we are led to believe or has he underhandedly been hindering us for years for reasons we can’t or are unwilling to comprehend. One things for sure Barton is 100 % correct with the above statement.

Its criminal how we have not had top flight football in this City and ambition has to change. Mike Ashley did not ruin Newcastle but the fan base certainly were not happy ?‍♂️Are we comparible to their situation???

Steve has struggled at bringing in the right football brains to get the club to the big time but on the infrastructure he has definitely delivered (I seriously doubt Wael can and will ever do that). In my view we could do a hell of a lot worse than Lansdown but financial constraints/squad rebuild mean the future outlook doesn't look great right now. Championship is a stacked league of evenly matched teams and I think sometimes very average chairmen get lucky to get a promotion but BCFC have never had things come together in that way. For every Watford, Burnley and Brentford currently in the prem there is a Forest, Sheff Weds and Ipswich who have potential but have done bugger all for 10-20 years.

As for the Gas they are serial underperformers too, I think with a new stadium they could easily be an established championship club on the scale of Millwall or Preston who every year have a small chance of having a good season and being in the play off mix, Barton has a point here but all Bristol City/Rovers managers recognise the potential but none have managed to get their clubs to the next level for a very long time.

54 minutes ago, 22A said:

If you are going to correct a statement in bold in line at least do us all the courtesy of being right. Bristol City have been in the top division twice in their history…..However My comment was in the last 111 years we have spent four years in the top flight. Which is completely accurate! 

54 minutes ago, 22A said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_City_F.C.

4 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Many have tried and failed to convincingly answer that question. I’d love to read some proper research into what the South West was (or wasn’t) doing from a sporting sense in those years in the late 1800s to the turn of the century when the FA cup went from London to the North to the midlands and back to London again. 

I suspect answer to these questions of underachievement lie there, in the deep deep roots. Those same regions still dwarf Bristol and the SW for footballing achievement today - and always have. There is probably socio-economic explanation to go with the sporting reasons we have such a culture of mediocrity too. 

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

If you are going to correct a statement in bold in line at least do us all the courtesy of being right. Bristol City have been in the top division twice in their history…..However My comment was in the last 111 years we have spent four years in the top flight. Which is completely accurate! 

I don't understand why you've omitted a part of our total history and come up with a figure of 111 years, it seems a strange figure to choose. Surely you must include the whole history, if you're going to mention facts about any of it.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I note your commentary has been dumped in the Rovers thread. I am unsure that was the right thing, but hey ho I guess someone has the power. 

In answer. BRFC have never been in the top flight of English football and have always been mediocre. Playing at crap grounds with dreadful facilities completely taking the piss out of the blue few that remain loyal. The bloke Wael has come in and continued that tradition 

BCFC in the past 111years have spent 4(Four) years in the top flight. The constant identification of the bloke who has massively changed everything about the club as being a failure is not only wrong but takes no account of what came before. With the exception of Harry this club has lurched between divvy 2 3 & 4 while going close to extinction a situation that took years to get over and many on here think we never did. 

Mr Lansdown has made errors, however many of them were supported by fans until it was obvious tan error was made. However the bringing in of LJ followed by Holden endorsed by Ashton SL can take complete ownership of.  AND TO FAIR HE DOES! 

We are a football back water where players don’t want to come by and large. This is why the only team that made the top flight was overwhelmingly home grown, which is what Pearson is trying to achieve now. 

Yes I’m a s pissed off as the next girl about our form and constant failure. My bloody family have lived and died through it. But until we are no longer seen as the City that Barton alludes we will have to rely on bring another crop of kids through. 

Without meaning to upset you, you have made it seem as if we've been "Lurching" between all four divisions of the football league, while highlighting a small time spent in the top tier of English football. This seems to be a gross misrepresentation of reality. We have actually spent the majority of our time in the top two divisions, more so than the bottom two divisions, with only two seasons spent at the lowest level, hardly lurching between the divisions. This site is excellent for information. England historical attendance and performance (european-football-statistics.co.uk)

6 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

You’ve never had a Premier League game played here and I’m looking at that and going ‘How?’

One things for sure Barton is 100 % correct with the above.

Its criminal how we have not had top flight football in this City...

He isn't correct though is he? Or are you a disciple of the ‘football didn’t begin until 1992’ cult? And you seriously post ‘we have not had top flight football in this city’ ?! Are you trying to cancel or delete the glory years from 1976? And you seem content to disregard the guys who took our club to a second placed finish in the top division in England in the early 1900s - your username suggests you are over 30 - so it’s reasonable to expect some higher level of knowledge regarding our club’s history - but you’ve failed big time there ... 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

A factual site for you. It refers to our top flight football history. Not premiership admittedly. England historical attendance and performance (european-football-statistics.co.uk)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I don't understand why you've omitted a part of our total history and come up with a figure of 111 years, it seems a strange figure to choose. Surely you must include the whole history, if you're going to mention facts about any of it.

It’s the time between the first time we got relegated from the top flight to now. It is that simple. In that period we were in the top flight once. 

Thus as pointed out in the original post we have been pretty dreadful under multiple regimes/boards/owners the Lansdown years have been pretty standard stuff, only with nicer facilities. (With the exception of the final years of Harry Dolman and the four seasons after his death we were also rans in random lower divisions).

To summarize In the time between now and the first relegation we have been in the top flight once. For a four year period. The rest is in the original post. 

personally of those 111 years I’ve been around for 60. Thus there is insight. :laugh:!

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Without meaning to upset you, you have made it seem as if we've been "Lurching" between all four divisions of the football league, while highlighting a small time spent in the top tier of English football. This seems to be a gross misrepresentation of reality. We have actually spent the majority of our time in the top two divisions, more so than the bottom two divisions, with only two seasons spent at the lowest level, hardly lurching between the divisions. This site is excellent for information. England historical attendance and performance (european-football-statistics.co.uk)

in my life time we have been in all four divisions most of it between the second and third division (when did we actually get a fourth division as opposed to division three south) with a foray into divvy four sometime after they stopped regionalizing the bottom.  But we will agree to disagree on interpretations of years of failure. 

Edit wiki of Third Division South the forerunner of the fourth division or the southern section of the bottom division. If that helps. We were in the regionalised bottom division of English football  quite a bit in the years until it was combined nationally. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Third_Division_South

4 hours ago, CiderJar said:

What the chuff has any of this got to do with Bristol chuffing Rovers?

The mods dumped a thread initiated by @lukebcfc1989 in this thread (that doesn’t really belong here). The rest you can read. I agree with you since my initial response the subject is not Bristol chuffing Rovers. I guess that is what can happen if you combine vaguely related threads. Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, Red7 said:

Yes, let's get this thread back on track:

What I love most about this, and what nobody seems to pick up..

”We are the best club in Bristol now”

If there’s ever an admission that they know we’re far superior then this is it

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

On 18/11/2021 at 22:53, REDOXO said:

It’s the time between the first time we got relegated from the top flight to now. It is that simple. In that period we were in the top flight once. 

Thus as pointed out in the original post we have been pretty dreadful under multiple regimes/boards/owners the Lansdown years have been pretty standard stuff, only with nicer facilities. (With the exception of the final years of Harry Dolman and the four seasons after his death we were also rans in random lower divisions).

To summarize In the time between now and the first relegation we have been in the top flight once. For a four year period. The rest is in the original post. 

personally of those 111 years I’ve been around for 60. Thus there is insight. :laugh:!

Sorry for late reply. Your post seems to focus on the negative side of things, as in picking a point when we were relegated from the old 1st division in 1911, as opposed to when we first were promoted to that division.

You refer to our times in the old Div3s in your other post. I've looked at that and, we were in div3s for 20 years in total, 12 times finishing in the top half, so possibly the equivalent of the third tier, depending on whether North or South Div3 was the stronger. That site really is interesting.

Also following City for 60 years you refer to spending most of our time between div 2 and 3, agreed but, the majority were spent in the upper divisions, 30 in div 2 and 4 in old 1st. On a personal level mine is 56 years of torture.

I wouldn't disagree that in reality, for a city of our size we have been dreadful in terms of lack of any real success. It shows in the apathy and expectations of our support base. Having the blue lot keeping hold of our shirt tails for so long hasn't helped.

Let's hope for a more positive future. :)

• Sad 1

Listening to the sags game the other night...I know, I know, but it was enjoyable for a while, anyway, I'm sure I heard the co-commentator say something like... "it'll be all Roverzzz in Bristol on Saturday!"

Hmmm, maybe he's forgotten all about us it's been so long?  Somehow I doubt it!

I'll settle for no Roverzzz win in Bristol today!

8 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Listening to the sags game the other night...I know, I know, but it was enjoyable for a while, anyway, I'm sure I heard the co-commentator say something like... "it'll be all Roverzzz in Bristol on Saturday!"

Hmmm, maybe he's forgotten all about us it's been so long?  Somehow I doubt it!

I'll settle for no Roverzzz win in Bristol today!

Do Bristol City have live commentaries on local BBC radio as I only read bits about the other lot with Twentyman presenting and Ed Hadwin doing the commentary and interviews 

1 hour ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

New Matchday Facilities at The Mem

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2021/november/new-matchday-facilities-at-the-mem/

It has taken them ages to find a mobile bar that would sympathetically match their existing architecture ....

.... but it has finally arrived (shame the photo wasn't actually taken at the Mem)

image001.jpg

dsa1-225x300.jpg

I thought you were taking the piss with a stock photo of a bar in a horse box. But nope, you have to hand it to them again.?

• Haha 1

Just now, HoldenBall said:

Well they just had their biggest result in their history this week, a win in the first round of an FA cup replay so can you blame them?

Oxford themselves game cancelled today due to half the side having Covid, not the first thing you'd think you'd catch after an evening in Horfield I must say

• Haha 3