IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Just been reading some gumph on the Bristol Live website (dodging those ads is like playing an arcade game) about some loanee (Luke Thomas) who's been given both barrels by the thug due to lack of application, effort etc. The interesting aspect to me is in one of the comments, in that last year poor performance was the fault of previous managers. This season it's the fault of the player.

Never YOUR fault eh Joey...?

Tosser...

• Admin
5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Anyone know why its not kicked off yet or are they selecting jury etc today? 

The previous case he was up for the first day was just the pre-trial to go through the evidence and decide if it should go to an actual trial

Maybe the same thing today?

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Apparently Mr Barton has said that he didn't assault Daniel Stendel because it's not in his nature to do so and that he will "chin any ****** who cares to call me a liar to my face".

Mr Barton's defence counsel has requested an urgent recess.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-assault-trial-details-6260982

If he gets acquitted then I would like to fight him! ??

• Haha 1

Barton, 39, appeared at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday for the start of his trial, which is expected to last a week.

He is accused of assaulting the then Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel in the tunnel at the South Yorkshire side's Oakwell Stadium, on April 13 2019, when he was managing the visiting side, Fleetwood Town.

A jury of seven women and five men was sworn in and sent home after being told the prosecution will open its case on Monday morning.

It was selected after each potential juror was asked a series of questions about football and the defendant.

These included "have you heard of the wife-beating violent thug Joey Barton" and "do you have any opinions about wife-beating violent thug Joey Barton".

Potential jurors were asked whether they were at the match, watched it on TV and whether they had read press reports of an "off-pitch incident at that game".

They were also asked whether they supported either of the teams involved and whether they followed football closely.

Bespectacled Barton, who now manages Bristol Rovers, watched the jury selection process from the dock flanked by a security guard.

He was wearing a dark blue suit, a lighter blue shirt with matching handkerchief and a dark tie.

He denies one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Jeremy Richardson QC, adjourned the trial until Monday and Barton was given unconditional bail.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Barton, 39, appeared at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday for the start of his trial, which is expected to last a week.

He is accused of assaulting the then Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel in the tunnel at the South Yorkshire side's Oakwell Stadium, on April 13 2019, when he was managing the visiting side, Fleetwood Town.

A jury of seven women and five men was sworn in and sent home after being told the prosecution will open its case on Monday morning.

It was selected after each potential juror was asked a series of questions about football and the defendant.

These included "have you heard of the wife-beating violent thug Joey Barton" and "do you have any opinions about wife-beating violent thug Joey Barton".

Potential jurors were asked whether they were at the match, watched it on TV and whether they had read press reports of an "off-pitch incident at that game".

They were also asked whether they supported either of the teams involved and whether they followed football closely.

Bespectacled Barton, who now manages Bristol Rovers, watched the jury selection process from the dock flanked by a security guard.

He was wearing a dark blue suit, a lighter blue shirt with matching handkerchief and a dark tie.

He denies one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Jeremy Richardson QC, adjourned the trial until Monday and Barton was given unconditional bail.

First question by prosecution     "Mr Barton, have you stopped beating your wife ?"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RidgeRed said:

Bag of out of date crisps on every seat. Unlimited refills of stale Fanta.

Ay! My old man’s firm supply the crisps and drinks now, none of that nonsense anymore! (As of Nov 2021 I’d like to clarify)

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

9 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Got a horrible feeling this is gonna get thrown out, it’s been going on long enough..

I hope I’m wrong

I don't see why it would; the initial delay was that Stendahl couldn't be properly understood or understand what was going on owing to technical failing of the remote link.

The rescheduled trial was months later so, assuming that they have either sorted the link or Stendahl is there in person, it should be rapidly resolved as the case is straightforward enough so it's then on to the verdict as the jury decide who is telling the truth.

I know what the weight of opinion would be on here, or on any football forum tbh, but we're not on the jury.

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't see why it would; the initial delay was that Stendahl couldn't be properly understood or understand what was going on owing to technical failing of the remote link.

The rescheduled trial was months later so, assuming that they have either sorted the link or Stendahl is there in person, it should be rapidly resolved as the case is straightforward enough so it's then on to the verdict as the jury decide who is telling the truth.

I know what the weight of opinion would be on here, or on any football forum tbh, but we're not on the jury.

Hard to see why it's scheduled to take all week, Stendel said he was pushed, Barton said he didn't push him.  No footage or independent witnesses. Barton's previous won't be known to the jury. Unless I'm missing something it's hard to see a jury convicting him or why the CPS are proceeding.  

Much as I'd love to see the gashead banged up I do expect him to walk free - on both trials with his WAG not testifying against him on the second trial.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Hard to see why it's scheduled to take all week, Stendel said he was pushed, Barton said he didn't push him.  No footage or independent witnesses. Barton's previous won't be known to the jury. Unless I'm missing something it's hard to see a jury convicting him or why the CPS are proceeding.  

Much as I'd love to see the gashead banged up I do expect him to walk free - on both trials with his WAG not testifying against him on the second trial.

I fear you may be right on both counts.

Mind you, it won`t be long before he lamps someone else so they can lock him up then.

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

He was injured ?lost teeth and the police IIRC arrested Barton at the time when he was trying to leave the scene so there is more to it than a simple did / didn't IMO.

Did%20Didn't.gif?cb=f56a29941e04e1146ffd

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:
details_close.gif Sheffield Crown Court 7 T20190839 joey barton
Details:

- No Information To Display -
For Trial - Jury Sworn In - 12:13

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Sheffield-Crown-Court.php

Well, no legal expert but if the prosecution doesn’t  provide a full name it 1) provides no confidence the rest of the evidence hasn’t been haphazardly thrown together and 2) provides the defendant with grounds for a legal challenge if found guilty. 

You can’t take someone through a formal legal process using  what is tantamount to a ‘nickname’, Shirley?