IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

As with many things the devil is in the detail. The entire site is 11 acres which, in addition to the Rovers new stadium, will have residential buildings, restaurants and other entertainment venues. When these and access roads are built into the site it won’t leave much room for a football stadium. A typical football pitch with the surrounding grass, excluding stands, is approximately 2 acres. Ashton Vale was 42 acres and when the council only registered 17 acres as a town and village green, it still left 25 acres for City’s new ground. What Rovers will get is a parcel of land just big enough for a pitch and some basic small stands. There will be insufficient room to generate any meaningful non match day revenue, as done by City with exhibitions and conferences, assuming that it’s allowed under the terms of the lease, which isn’t certain 

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The key difference for me, is that the developer is insisting that the Gas sell the Memorial site to them, as a prerequisite for allowing them to rent someone else's stadium.

It's like a landlord (developer) coming to you, and saying you have to sell your house to me, to be able to come and rent my much larger house. 

The landlord won't offer you anywhere near what your house is worth either, if you stayed, knocked your house down; and redeveloped it yourself.

I can only think the Gas have run out of ideas for a new location; and the Developer has seen an opportunity in their vulnerable position to get prime real estate in Horfield for a cheap price; and then get the Gas into the equivalent HMO at the fruit market.

It's all pie in the sky anyhow, as I can't see either sites getting planning permission for a number of years (if at all).

If this went ahead (which it won't), they could be the first "beneficiaries" of the Klaus Schwab/Bildenberg "Great Reset".

"You will own nothing and be happy"

Suckers !

15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A couple of questions.  Firstly, has full planning permission been obtained for the new complex and if not, what obstacles stand in the way?

Well, I'm off down there now with my dog and to have a picnic with the family.  Might even have a game of French Cricket.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Exactly, the UWE all over again. Wally pulled out because they wouldn't own any or part of the UWE stadium, only rent it, and UWE were taking a hefty % of associated income ( car parking,food,bars,etc)

This is exactly the same deal - the developer takes their ground. The developer is building a huge infrastructure of retail and hospitality on the fruit market site - do the sags seriously think the developer (their landlord) is going to hand them a slice of that revenue?

And they lap it up ...again 

A minor point in the scheme of things, but I believe Rovers would have built and owned the new UWE stadium itself, but would have leased the surrounding ground (at a peppercorn rent) and, as you say, forfeited a large part of the associated income, including car parking fees - I seem to recall that part of UWE's interest was that Rovers would actually construct the car parking area as part of the deal (without receiving any income therefrom).  

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not surprised by the stadium news, there is someone behind the scenes (not The Mayor) who is hellbent on helping them out.

After all, who had a “stand” sponsored by Bristol Energy? Clue, it wasn’t us..

Isn't that the Deputy Mayor, a declared Rovers fan?

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

As for the Fewers getting all excites about being able to drink pre match in the stadium to put cash back in to the club... wait until Wally notices that the lack of nearby pubs mean he can charge 7 quid a pint.

By the time any stadium gets built, alwaus assuming planning permission is granted, I suspect that £7 a pint will be considered a bargain!

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

No way will they get permission for a new stadium in an inner city area these days.

With this Council, and the Mayors seeming love of 5* hotels and "partner funded" trips. Never say never.

Edited by 1960maaan

34 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well, I'm off down there now with my dog and to have a picnic with the family.  Might even have a game of French Cricket.

I think they play boob cricket, not french cricket and you must be brave to take a dog anywhere associated with the fewers. I assume but your picnic will include stale crisps and out of date Fanta.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im not sure I read that they would 'sell' the mem to the developer, more they would just hand it over to get use of the new stadium then the developer builds on the mem site, which has a covenant on it, at vast profit? They give away something they own to rent somewhere else at the beck and call of said developer. 

Sounds like an awful deal to me.

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Im not sure I read that they would 'sell' the mem to the developer, more they would just hand it over to get use of the new stadium then the developer builds on the mem site, which has a covenant on it, at vast profit? They give away something they own to rent somewhere else at the beck and call of said developer. 

Sounds like an awful deal to me.

It does say that; though at present it is only a in principle agreement.

From the Post article:

The deal does include the sale of the land at the Mem to the same developer which intends to revamp the fruit market, with the plans for that site off Gloucester Road to be turned into a residential development

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2021 at 08:51, Galley is our king said:

Surely though if found guilty, whether he goes to prison or not,  the FA would charge him with something? Bringing the game into disrepute?

Can the FA charge him with being a horrible little knob?

They certainly ought to remove it, if he is found guilty.

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

Anyway anyone heard how the trial has gone today? 

No updates in Bristol Live, but, according to GasChat, the case was adjourned this morning and,  in any event, the local reporter covering the case was taken ill so they are receiving no news.

If the case was being heard today, there are Law Society sites that will provide details, but I have forgotten their address!

9 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Says adjourned until 10:30 here?

35075A02-7A08-4EB9-AAFD-CAD153DA9D5B.png

That’s what I mentioned earlier, but I have been unable to establish whether the adjournment was for later today or for tomorrow.

Has there been a major development, being discussed confidentially behind closed doors or just a breakdown in communication from the Court?