IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 hours ago, Stortz said:

I'm old enough to remember back in the dim mists of time (2018), when the area around Temple Meads was deemed so utterly unsuitable for an arena that one had to be built by Rees's dodgy Malaysian mates in South Gloucestershire.

I wonder if the owner has seen the way the wind is blowing with the trial and wants to get out some good news sharpish- before his crazy decision to appoint Barton is shown up for the awful error of judgement it clearly is.

Yet another pipe dream imo.

Actually Marvin considered Temple Meads unsuitable, the planners who gave it permission and the intended arena operators (one of the world’s largest) did not. Marvin’s friends YTL, are building the arena in Bristol, if only by about 50m or so. 

10 minutes ago, weeble said:

Actually Marvin considered Temple Meads unsuitable, the planners who gave it permission and the intended arena operators (one of the world’s largest) did not. Marvin’s friends YTL, are building the arena in Bristol, if only by about 50m or so. 

Yeah, convenient for them that they found some gullible sap that could help them repurpose  a dilapidated but listed building AND get tens of millions of taxpayers cash spent on making it accessible. 

Biggest question that needs asking, is did discussions on the Fruit Market site began before or after the decision was made to write off the money spent on arena island, and if before, did it factor in the decision to abandon the city centre arena. 

• Admin
34 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Adjourned after 11 minutes? Seems a bit odd to me. 

The prosecution solicitor was unwell so applied for a adjournment until tomorrow. 

Apparently not covid so fully expected to finish tomorrow with jury being set to make decision still tomorrow 

Only know this as saw report on sky sports news this morning 

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

The prosecution solicitor was unwell so applied for a adjournment until tomorrow. 

Apparently not covid so fully expected to finish tomorrow with jury being set to make decision of guilty tomorrow ,and then bugger off down the pub for a little pre-xmas drinkie !

That's obviously what you meant .     ?:fingerscrossed:

This is what we want........(.@ 1:04)

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My ex wife was a Kingswood slapper

Well, if you met her in Chasers, you deserve everything you got ?.

I went there a few times in my (mis-spent) youth, and, when I heard Holloway’s comment about girls at the end of a nightclub evening, I assure you I winced and came out in a cold sweat ?.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, if you met her in Chasers, you deserve everything you got ?.

I went there a few times in my (mis-spent) youth, and, when I heard Holloway’s comment about girls at the end of a nightclub evening, I assure you I winced and came out in a cold sweat ?.

Me too, but a shag was a shag ..... and then you left to go home.

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 2

Just been over to slagchat to see what they reckon to their latest pie-in-the-sky stadium news.

Most of them seem to think that, for some inexplicable reason, we are angry and jealous about it! They appear to think that, since it`s close to the centre, they will have `retaken Bristol` or some such bollocks.

They really are so far up themselves aren`t they?

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I know what you are saying but surely with clean air zones etc, a new 20k stadium in a central area of Bristol would be defeating the whole object of cutting down on traffic in Bristol, not that it would ever get 20k in it tho.

The plans, as they exist, are for a stadium “up to 20k capacity”. Key words are “up to”.  Ref my previous post, the entire site is only 11 acres and has to include housing, bars, restaurants, misc entertainment, roads and last but least the stadium. The non stadium building will not leave much room for the stadium itself so it will be small. Something similar to Burton Albion’s 7,000 capacity stadium is more likely 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The plans, as they exist, are for a stadium “up to 20k capacity”. Key words are “up to”.  Ref my previous post, the entire site is only 11 acres and has to include housing, bars, restaurants, misc entertainment, roads and last but least the stadium. The non stadium building will not leave much room for the stadium itself so it will be small. Something similar to Burton Albion’s 7,000 capacity stadium is more likely 

Any idea of the approximate acreage of AG including car parks - just to give a comparison?

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Apparently not covid so fully expected to finish tomorrow with jury being set to make decision still tomorrow 

Only know this as saw report on sky sports news this morning 

Was he 'unwell' after suddenly contracting a broken nose?

• Haha 1

85.thumb.JPG.167f73454f837d7be644f2fe28d1b37b.JPG

Another one who doesn't get it.

Wally didn't 'write-off' £18 million - he converted it to a charge against the Mem.

When it's sold - and in terms Gasheads understand - Wally gets all his money back, owns the 'value' of all the players, and a nice new developable 'training quarters'

Bristol Rovers FC own NOTHING.

Bit like us.

44 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Sounds like they could be struggling to get anything much bigger than a Subuetteo stadium on that site then.

3 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

85.thumb.JPG.167f73454f837d7be644f2fe28d1b37b.JPG

Another one who doesn't get it.

Wally didn't 'write-off' £18 million - he converted it to a charge against the Mem.

When it's sold - and in terms Gasheads understand - Wally gets all his money back, owns the 'value' of all the players, and a nice new developable 'training quarters'

Bristol Rovers FC own NOTHING.

Bit like us.

Not convinced that owning the value of all of the players will be worth much to him. How much do you think he would get if he sold the entire squad as so far as I'm aware they have nobody worth anything.

Cashing in the debt he has secured against the Mem would be a big deal for anyone though.

Losing to Sutton Utd in the cup and having their manager banged up in the same week would be a result though.  Are William Hill giving odds against that double?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Any idea of the approximate acreage of AG including car parks - just to give a comparison?

No, but just a football pitch with an average area of grass around it is approx 2 acres, so I guess AG including stands, walkways and car parks must be in the region of 8 to 10 acres. The entire Ashton Vale site was originally 42 acres. The part that wasn’t designated as a town green and was eventually going to be the site of the new ground was 25 acres. 

Another way of looking at it is an acre is approx 70 yards by 70 yards. Parking at the fruit market will probably be limited, but some must be allowed for the team bus and players cars, so say half an acre for parking. Add the pitch and it’s 2.5 acres before any stands are built. As the entire site for everything is only 11 acres, there won’t be much left for the actual stadium buildings 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Not sure on the size of the Gate site but the HPC (:laugh:!) is 14 acres. Given the whole FM site is 11 (less than 80 % of the HPC size), they ain't getting anything too grand on it given all the other stuff supposedly being built there. .

image.png.4825933b750606dfa7ecfef11b81d6b8.png

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If my Googling is correct, then a football pitch, according to FA regulations has dimensions that must fall between being 100-130 yards (90-120m) long and 50-100 yards (45-90m) wide.

In other words, you could potentially have a square pitch!

That’s quite a variance in the width.