IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Anybody who spends anytime in a Courtroom will know the bizarre decisions that come from a Jury. As part of the summing up process. Teh defence always goes second; and comes up usually with the biggest load of rubbish in interpreting the evidence. It is then up to the Judge to correct the wrong impression given by the defence, during his "Route to Verdict" speech to the Jury.

I'm guessing that the QC (never mess with them in the box). Would be saying in his closing speech.

"Stendal didn't see who pushed him, he just turned around and saw Barton, how can you be sure it was my client".

"The assistant saw Barton swerve and do it, but can you be sure as a Jury, he wasn't just sticking up for his boss, plus how do we know there wasn't someone else that could have done it? You have to be 100% sure, can you be?"

"There is no CCTV, and no evidence to prove beyond doubt that there wasn't anybody else in the tunnel."

It's all nonsense of course, but as someone who's spent 20+ years in courtrooms; and done Jury service. There are some people who take the opportunity to find people Not Guilty just because they A) Like the defendant, more than than the Victim. B) Think they are sticking two fingers up to "The System" by finding anybody not guilty regardless of the evidence or C) Get so confused by the evidence (No IQ needed for a jury), that they rely on someone else to tell them what to do.

If you have a strong persuasive foreperson (PC there) on a jury; they can swing anybody anyway.

The difference with the next trial is there is no jury, only a district Judge. That'll be an interesting case.

Edited by NcnsBcfc

15 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

“Stendal didn't see who pushed him, he just turned around and saw Barton, how can you be sure it was my client".

"The assistant saw Barton swerve and do it, but can you be sure as a Jury, he wasn't just sticking up for his boss, plus how do we know there wasn't someone else that could have done it? You have to be 100% sure, can you be?"

"There is no CCTV, and no evidence to prove beyond doubt that there wasn't anybody else in the tunnel."

Bloody hell! 

Whilst reading that even I started to think he’s not guilty ?

He’ll probably get found not guilty at the next one as well then Sagheads can go back to singing their “Joey Barton, he hits who he wants” song...the cheeky little scumbags.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Bloody hell! 

Whilst reading that even I started to think he’s not guilty ?

He’ll probably get found not guilty at the next one as well then Sagheads can go back to singing their “Joey Barton, he hits who he wants” song...the cheeky little scumbags.

That's why the Qc's earn the big bucks.

After a while you get to learn their language, as every barrister that i've ever dealt with is in some way or another a Sociopath. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Amazes me , yet again, how the CPS ever saw enough evidence to pursue this all the way to Crown Court. Should have been obvious from the off there were no witnesses and  therefore very little chance of a conviction. What a waste of public time and money.

Sometimes I think they almost know this but hope that the reputational damage done to some of the more well known people under accusation can be just as bad as an actual conviction. Of course we know that Barton has previous so it's water off a ducks back anyway.

Guilty verdict or not , that’s now JB’s 3rd court appearance for assault with a 4th happening soon . He almost blinds a youth player, beats the crap out of a teammate and serves time for doing likewise to some guy in Liverpool . Only football could pay someone with this track record a substantial salary to manage their business in the public eye .  I love the game but it really is a total cesspit at times ! 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Sorry… are we all missing the bloke who said he saw him do it?

Wasn't that the assistant manager though? Guess he wasn't deemed credible enough :disapointed2se:

1 minute ago, Big C said:

I think they all knew he was guilty but the worst punishment they could think off was for him to carrying on managing Rovers

Good point. A prison stretch would be a doddle in comparison :dance:

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Sorry… are we all missing the bloke who said he saw him do it?

You should know better than anyone that a jury cannot be trusted.... they are unpredictable, and I suspect many were frustrated by the fact they were sat for four days on a trial of a man that allegedly shoulder barged someone and the victim ended up with a bloodied nose.

One witness, a presumed friend of the victim, was always unlikely to be enough to convict Josephine. 

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You should know better than anyone that a jury cannot be trusted.... they are unpredictable, and I suspect many were frustrated by the fact they were sat for four days on a trial of a man that allegedly shoulder barged someone and the victim ended up with a bloodied nose.

One witness, a presumed friend of the victim, was always unlikely to be enough to convict Josephine. 

Oh I don’t need to know about the unpredictable nature of a jury!

admittedly we haven’t heard all the evidence the jury did, but everything stacked up nicely and for me, it looked a near certainty - but again that was based on what the press reported. I’d like to see the footage the shows Barton and Stendel into the tunnel and shaking of said tunnel afterwards. That’d be interesting. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's simply "beyond reasonable doubt"; murderers have been convicted without a body being found.

He certainly could have been found guilty of this. Good QC probably.

Indeed, JB elected to go to the Crown Court for trial by jury.  Anyone unable to afford an expensive brief probably gets dealt with in the magistrates court represented by the Duty Solicitor and would be waking up tomorrow to a porridge breakfast and a very sore ass!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Britain has the best justice system that money can buy….

Unfortunately you are quite correct.

If you're privately funded, you get a much much better defence team.

With the cuts to legal aid, you'll still get a barrister; who are duty bound to do their best. But if you're paying, you will get the deluxe Solicitor, paralegal, package.

There are plenty of firms nowadays that also don't even take on legal aid cases. Depending on the case, people are left scrambling around trying to get a defence team to defend them.

• Like 2