IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

The thought struck me years ago, and the feeling has never left me. How on earth can a group of people hate their cross City rivals more than they love their own team? Must confess I don't avidly follow the Gastards  haven't a clue when they are next playing and against who. I've no idea of what they are spending in the January transfer window. I genuinely don't give a rats are about 'em. They are as meaningless to me as any other team outside Tier 2

On 05/01/2022 at 10:59, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m not so sure, they were in the Premier League so we wouldn’t have had the chance. By the time we actually played QPR all the sags that Francis took to QPR with him were either back at Rovers or elsewhere.

Fair point, but not all of them - Jamie Cureton definitely played against us for QPR - I remember him playing for them at Ashton Gate - it may have been that season in the early 2000s when they finished second and we finished third ...

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair point, but not all of them - Jamie Cureton definitely played against us for QPR - I remember him playing for them at Ashton Gate - it may have been that season in the early 2000s when they finished second and we finished third ...

I'm sure some of the abuse related to the alleged incident / incidents with a very young girl related to Hollowhead.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Now you know it’s unlike me to be pedantic, but you never place a full stop outside of a speech mark at the end of a sentence ... ?

You are not the only (grammar school educated) pedant on this forum, so I feel obliged to correct you.

In the event that the words within the ‘speech marks‘ form a stand alone sentence, the full stop would come before the closing speech mark.

In the event, however, that the word(s) quoted do not form a sentence in their own right, the sentence ends in a full stop, i.e. after the closing speech mark.

It follows, therefore, that @CiderJar was correct ?.

It would seem my English teacher was more pedantic than yours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Now you know it’s unlike me to be pedantic, but you never place a full stop outside of a speech mark at the end of a sentence ... ?

I'm always struggling with the why and the wherefore of the Spanish question mark (¿) so I shan't lose too much sleep over the full stop thing.  Mind you, at 64 years of age, you've actually educated me on a shoddy grammatical practice that I've been using ever since I mastered joined up writing, so thanks for that @BS4 on Tour...

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember the game you’re talking about, we won 1-0.

Cureton was a sub, I don’t remember him coming on although I could be wrong as it was about 18 years ago.

The real ‘welcome’ he got from the supporters was when he played for Reading.

19 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I'm sure some of the abuse related to the alleged incident / incidents with a very young girl related to Hollowhead.

Allegedly.

That rumour started with Sags after he left. It was suggested on several occasions during the game against Reading that he may be in the habit of carrying bags of sweets around with him. I read somewhere that his family were in the Williams Stand and chose to leave.

On 05/01/2022 at 01:30, Red-Robbo said:

Every ******* match at some time or other. Take it from a guy who has a couple of Stokie fans as mates.

They even hate Vale's toilets: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-video-stoke-fans-destroying-13692604

Their toilets cannot be any worse than the area of Port Vale's ground, Burslem is an utter hole!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Cureton was a sub, I don’t remember him coming on although I could be wrong as it was about 18 years ago.

Allegedly.

That rumour started with Sags after he left. It was suggested on several occasions during the game against Reading that he may be in the habit of carrying bags of sweets around with him. I read somewhere that his family were in the Williams Stand and chose to leave.

Ahh yes that's right. I was starting to doubt myself. 

One of the songs went ......... 'With a packets of sweets and a cheeky smile Cureton is a paedophile'. 

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Isn't it about time we changed the forum name? OTIB is a bit late 1990's.

One Team In Bristol has no relevance in 2022 and is as pointless and embarrassing as One Team in Stoke, One Team in Nottingham, One Team in Bradford 

Have you any suggestions for a replacement?  If OTIB has a name change I feel it should be left field e.g. “Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium”. (Note - I’ve placed the full stop after the quotation marks. Can any expert confirm if this is correct?) This  was a fanzine devoted to Gillingham. 

My suggestion for a new OTIB name would be “ The National Front For Clarks Pies”. (I’ve done it again with the full stop. 

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Have you any suggestions for a replacement?  If OTIB has a name change I feel it should be left field e.g. “Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium”. (Note - I’ve placed the full stop after the quotation marks. Can any expert confirm if this is correct?) This  was a fanzine devoted to Gillingham. 

My suggestion for a new OTIB name would be “ The National Front For Clarks Pies”. (I’ve done it again with the full stop. 

Personally I was thinking that to avoid alienating a lot of people that know the website address we should stick with otib and just change what it stands for to make it more relevant. Here’s my starting efforts:

Outsourced Tents in Bristol

Orangatangs Twerk in Bars

Old Twits in Bras 

”””””……..”.

Edited by GreedyHarry
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Just checked - City 1 QPR 0 - April 2004 - Cureton came on as sub for QPR in the 46th minute ...

22 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Classic Gas exagerations!

image.png.dcce8581da0ccb67faef9dd7549ed743.png

£20 million quid of his inheritance to end up BACK in the bottom division ?

What a complete waste of money. 

Wonder how long it’ll be before he says “enough is enough”?....either that or get his money back from the Memorial Stadium and saddle them with a 10k capacity soulless bowl at the Fruit Market that they’ll rent off some developers....

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, it is interesting - it’s a fine example of an ex gas player coming back to play at Ashton Gate for QPR - even though you said all ex gas went to QPR when they were in the premier league ... 

In your original post you mentioned Cureton at READING and “all the Gas that ended up at QPR”.

You were clearly referring to all the Rovers players who Francis took to QPR in the early 90s…none of which, to the best of my knowledge, played for QPR against City due to the different divisions we occupied until the late 90s.

You even agreed with me in your subsequent response.

Why didn’t you just say Cureton for QPR then? Absolutely bizarre ? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, supercidered said:

Ahh yes that's right. I was starting to doubt myself. 

One of the songs went ......... 'With a packets of sweets and a cheeky smile Cureton is a paedophile'. 

I still carry the OTIB warning badge of honour for quoting that particular little ditty!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Ah here we go again. The old I know someone who insuinates Rovers are better than City at something. I know the below to be the co plete opposite btw.

Screenshot_20220107-090211_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is this not just as simply down to the category levels of academy?

We are obviously looking at a better standard of player to them anyway?

• Like 1