IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

@Jack Firstly Chris Brown DID keep a diary and I know that for a fact. The book IS therefore based upon real events but like Henry V said pre Agincourt participants will embellish those facts. I would say therefore that we are looking at five hours rather than 25 years. Indeed I also know for a fact that he researched "incidents" with former foes on our side of the fence to ensure he got the "who hit whom when" correct.I don't know if you have read the book Jack but despite bunging up the Rovers on occasion it is undoubtedly one of the best of it's type offering a snapshot of life for a teenage lad throughout the 70's in terms of agro (of course) clothes music non football hellraising and relationships.

Regarding earlier comments about their chaplain I have met Dave J in his current "form" and you will be hard pressed to find a better person and certainly someone who became very close to our man Divvy in his latter days .

As for the large men I could name them for you and people of a certain age will know exactly who I am talking about - and they were certainly large if you were a 16/17 year old in different colours !

I have know the Chaplin since the 1980s, back then City had one of the most violent element in the country, Rovers had a half decent mob but the  gas wasn't in our leauge , ask the chaplin and he will tell you the same. 

The gas had a small nasty element who drove around North and East Bristol looking for young City fans wearing colours to attack.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I have know the Chaplin since the 1980s, back then City had one of the most violent element in the country, Rovers had a half decent mob but the  gas wasn't in our leauge , ask the chaplin and he will tell you the same. 

The gas had a small nasty element who drove around North and East Bristol looking for young City fans wearing colours to attack.

Absolutely right bs3. The book in question was about the 1970s which was very different certainly until 77.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

And the rest.

Like when ?

They most definitely were very competitive during our promotion season and despite what anyone might say only about 30 of them came into the East End that season and it took the OB to get them out.

People like to debunk that but of course of lot of them weren't anywhere near it.

So far as I was concerned it was pretty much 50-50 through the early to mid 70's and i'm talking about everywhere of course not just the matches.From 76/77 onwards they have been second fiddle to this day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Like when ?

They most definitely were very competitive during our promotion season and despite what anyone might say only about 30 of them came into the East End that season and it took the OB to get them out.

People like to debunk that but of course of lot of them weren't anywhere near it.

So far as I was concerned it was pretty much 50-50 through the early to mid 70's and i'm talking about everywhere of course not just the matches.From 76/77 onwards they have been second fiddle to this day.

Sorry, I mis-read your post, I thought you were on about hoolies in general ending in 77 .

Tomorrow Cambridge Utd play at the Mem.

In tonight's preview on BBC Radio Cambs the presenter asked "What is the Memorial Stadium like"? The sports reporter replied....................

"It's an unusual stadium. The main stand looks like a cricket pavilion and the other stands look like they were air lifted in from other grounds around the country. The game is expected to be a sell out though with ten thousand there".

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

In tonight's preview on BBC Radio Cambs the presenter asked "What is the Memorial Stadium like"? The sports reporter replied....................

"It's an unusual stadium. The main stand looks like a cricket pavilion and the other stands look like they were air lifted in from other grounds around the country. The game is expected to be a sell out though with ten thousand there".

They said that on PW tonight. Believe it when you see it - 8k tops.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They said that on PW tonight. Believe it when you see it - 8k tops.

It has sold out to be fair. But it's easter weekend and they're in the automatics - you'd think they would be able to at least get close to doing so.

Edited by BCFC Jordan

25 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

It has sold out to be fair. But it's easter weekend and they're in the automatics - you'd think they would be able to at least get close to doing so.

Easy to sell out when you're doing well.  I notice they hadn't sold out a game until they went into the auto spots.  Us on the other hand have been selling out while having an absolute stinker of a season and flirting (still) with relegation.   I'd be more impressed if they could sell out under similar circumstances..but they wouldn't.  

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Easy to sell out when you're doing well.  I notice they hadn't sold out a game until they went into the auto spots.  Us on the other hand have been selling out while having an absolute stinker of a season and flirting (still) with relegation.   I'd be more impressed if they could sell out under similar circumstances..but they wouldn't.  

With a reduced capacity.

granted we can only sell what's available, but I don't for one minute believe we would have had half of the sell outs under the old AG capacity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, City169 said:

With a reduced capacity.

granted we can only sell what's available, but I don't for one minute believe we would have had half of the sell outs under the old AG capacity.

True.  But we could also have given bigger sections to the away fans if it wasnt for the redevelopment, so could have reached sell outs that way. 

13 hours ago, 22A said:

A diplomatic way of calling it a dog's dinner.

I thought it was interesting that Points West did a feature on Rovers and what a great season they are having. There was also a comment like 'it is a great time to be a Gashead'. Maybe someone should politely remind them that they are in the Fourth Division! In the history of Bristol Rovers, wherever they finish this season will be one of their lowest league finishes in their history. The Rovers teams who have been competitive in the second tier must be wondering what all the fuss is about. Still if they want to get excited about beating Accrington and Dagenham good luck to them. The Gasheads of the 70s and 80s would have seen matches against them in the fourth tier as the stuff of nightmares.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Tbf to em didn't they sell out on that beautiful day in May 14' to have a party at the Mem to celebrate FL survival?

Also they have 'sold out' once this season to a Jordanian 'billionaire'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I thought it was interesting that Points West did a feature on Rovers and what a great season they are having. There was also a comment like 'it is a great time to be a Gashead'. Maybe someone should politely remind them that they are in the Fourth Division! In the history of Bristol Rovers, wherever they finish this season will be one of their lowest league finishes in their history. The Rovers teams who have been competitive in the second tier must be wondering what all the fuss is about. Still if they want to get excited about beating Accrington and Dagenham good luck to them. The Gasheads of the 70s and 80s would have seen matches against them in the fourth tier as the stuff of nightmares.

Accrington have beaten us on the last 6 occasions we have played each other, I'm entitled to get a little bit excited.

• Like 10

#BristolRovers chairman Steve Hamer confirms to @bbcbristolsport they are seeking investment partners for the new stadium.

SH: "It's ridiculous to think an individual could underwrite a project worth £30-60 million. "

More

Mr Lansdown can  ......

Edited by StGeorge
typo
  • Like 19