IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

21 hours ago, Swede said:

So, let me take a moment for this to sink in. According to delusion central;

1) They have had the same amount of stadium improvements as Spurs.

2) They are bigger than Norwich City...

12 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Don't forget "The Barcelona of League One" ?

....and don’t (ever) forget the other recent classics - their away following is ‘comparable to Liverpool’s’ and their club is ‘as big as Sunderland, Blackburn and Wolves...’

Just when I need it, they make me laugh! Cheers saggies ....?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

1 hour ago, I want to be anon. said:

The gate was only about 14,000 and all ticket wasn't it? Eastville was pretty much falling down by then, the South Stand was gone I think. 

vaguely remember a small bit of terracing left where the south stand was .99% sure it was all ticket still got mine somewhere . 

16 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

anyone no the attendance and how many we took there in 83 are end seemed quite full that day.also anyone on here guilty of burning the gas scarf.

15 hours ago, I want to be anon. said:

The gate was only about 14,000 and all ticket wasn't it? Eastville was pretty much falling down by then, the South Stand was gone I think. 

A few years now since I was in the central library, thumbing through old Evening Posts, but do remember reading the papers from the week leading up to the December 83 game and I think it was 6000 tickets sold for the Muller Rd end. That's 6000 out of a 14000 crowd. There were also reports of police warnings about forgeries and measures in place to stop City fans entering via skullduggery. 

The last derby game there, I was stood in the small enclosure where the torched South Stand used to be, the night hundreds of City were in that bit, many jumping on the pitch when we - Stevie Neville? - scored. Think that was only 9000 odd. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

A few years now since I was in the central library, thumbing through old Evening Posts, but do remember reading the papers from the week leading up to the December 83 game and I think it was 6000 tickets sold for the Muller Rd end. That's 6000 out of a 14000 crowd. There were also reports of police warnings about forgeries and measures in place to stop City fans entering via skullduggery. 

The last derby game there, I was stood in the small enclosure where the torched South Stand used to be, the night hundreds of City were in that bit, many jumping on the pitch when we - Stevie Neville? - scored. Think that was only 9000 odd. 

Yeah, Steve Neville, 1-1, straight on the pitch

48 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Put simply, the (entire) Muller Road end was not always room enough for us, while two of the three parts of the Park End always seemed to accommodate them ok. And sometimes, just the one.

Quite. They go on about their amazing away support, but on a couple of occasions in the early to mid 90s they failed to sell their allocations for games at AG. Bunch of absolute whoppers. 

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Think it may have been a tad more. When Nevs scored and the south enclosure erupted (I was in it as well ) my mate shouted out to anyone within earshot... "THAT'S why you've got ten thousand!"

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

36 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Think it may have been a tad more. When Nevs scored and the south enclosure erupted (I was in it as well ) my mate shouted out to anyone within earshot... "THAT'S why you've got ten thousand!"

9,926 was the attendance ...

• Thanks 1

Just to put that April '76 26,000 Bristol derby game crowd at Eastville in some sort of context, Rovers played some other "glittering" league fixtures at the home around that time, including:

Man Utd, March 75: 19,000

Tottenham, 78 (the "second leg," they were 0-9 down on agg): 17,700.

Villa, 74: 14,000

Chelsea 76: 13,000 (played Chelsea four or five times around then, 16k in 75 being the largest).

West Ham, 79: 12,400. 

So, nothing came close to us playing there, in the league, in 1976. Which suggests a considerable visiting support! Same as when they played Man Utd, who would take 10,000 everywhere back then.

To get a crowd at Eastville to match or better that league derby match in '76, in the 70s, you have to look at cup games.

In '78, they had 26,000 v Southampton, with10k Saints fans, from what I can find. This suggests the Muller held at least 10k back then. Meaning at least 10k of us in '76, and at most 16 of them.

Prior to this you go back to '72 and a league cup visit from Best and Charlton, and 33,900! at a Bristol Rovers home game (you see! They are huge, massive. In 1972. With a visit from two of the greatest this country has ever seen).

They managed two, losing, league cup quarter finals in 70 and 71, pulling in 33,000 for those. Thirty three thousand* - blimey! Long time ago, mind. Half a century. What might've been.

My search has not been exhaustive but I believe the '76 game v us was the last home league crowd of 20,000 plus at theirs, and possibly the only 20k plus crowd for a non-cup tie since the days of record crowds everywhere and their one and only half-decent team of the late 50s, early 60s (not sure if they had a "bumper" turn out for promotion in '74?). And it was only so many because there were thousands of us.

Like many, many poxy clubs (and not unlike ourselves, in truth), Rovers could/can get a big crowd once or twice a season, for a knockout game or the visit of some all-time greats, or a family day out to Wemberlee, drawing in many neutrals, day-trippers and casual observers, few if any of whom will ever be interested in their run of the mill, mundane league games that make up the majority of a season.

The mistake, or perhaps intentionally misleading or deluding conclusion, they come to, is to read far too much into the big one-off occasion and envisage from that the potential of many, many thousands trudging through the wind and the rain, and the grey (and the boob cricket, and the horse interfering) to witness league fixtures against the same old bloody dross week after week, year after year. Lord knows I have made the same error and deluded myself similarly about us.

*Many of these "loyal and true/once-in-blue-moon" diehards from 50 years ago in 1971 would be waiting to go again regularly, should they get a ground/take the Prem by storm/overtake us again, were it not for the sad fact that they are now dead. And the "faith" has not lived on through the generations.

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just to put that April '76 26,000 Bristol derby game crowd at Eastville in some sort of context, Rovers played some other "glittering" league fixtures at the home around that time, including:

Man Utd, March 75: 19,000

Tottenham, 78 (the "second leg," they were 0-9 down on agg): 17,700.

Villa, 74: 14,000

Chelsea 76: 13,000 (played Chelsea four or five times around then, 16k in 75 being the largest).

West Ham, 79: 12,400. 

So, nothing came close to us playing there, in the league, in 1976. Which suggests a considerable visiting support! Same as when they played Man Utd, who would take 10,000 everywhere back then.

To get a crowd at Eastville to match or better that league derby match in '76, in the 70s, you have to look at cup games.

In '78, they had 26,000 v Southampton, with10k Saints fans, from what I can find. This suggests the Muller held at least 10k back then. Meaning at least 10k of us in '76, and at most 16 of them.

Prior to this you go back to '72 and a league cup visit from Best and Charlton, and 33,900! at a Bristol Rovers home game (you see! They are huge, massive. In 1972. With a visit from two of the greatest this country has ever seen).

They managed two, losing, league cup quarter finals in 70 and 71, pulling in 33,000 for those. Thirty three thousand - blimey! Long time ago, mind. Half a century. What might've been.

My search has not been exhaustive but I believe the '76 game v us was the last home league crowd of 20,000 plus at theirs, and possibly the only 20k plus crowd for a non-cup tie since the days of record crowds everywhere and their one and only half-decent team of the late 50s, early 60s (not sure if they had a "bumper" turn out for promotion in '74?). And it was only so many because there were thousands of us.

Like many, many poxy clubs (and not unlike ourselves, in truth), Rovers could/can get a big crowd once or twice a season, for a knockout game or the visit of some all-time greats, or a family day out to Wemberlee, drawing in many neutrals, day-trippers and casual observers, few if any of whom will ever be interested in their run of the mill, mundane league games that make up the majority of a season.

The mistake, or perhaps intentionally misleading or deluding conclusion, they come to, is to read far too much into the big one-off occasion and envisage from that the potential of many, many thousands trudging through the wind and the rain, and the grey, to witness league fixtures against the same old bloody dross week after week, year after year. Lord knows I have made the same error and deluded myself similarly about us.

The easiest way of thinking about it is they dream of having 20K+ crowds in a state of the art stadium, we already do that. Their average is what? 7K at best and they dreamt of selling out 21K. We currently get an average of 21K so it's akin to us thinking we would get 63,000 at our games. it's not going to happen, we know it, they know it too! 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Galway Red said:

That open end was big and it was rammed that day, I doubt that we had 16000 there though

I remember it being quoted in the paper that we had 12k in the Muller Rd end. It was horrible, I was there with my future wife and we were crushed on the way out with our feet off the ground as we went out, absolutely terrible. I believe everyone went for the exits at the end and they kept them closed for segregation. It could have been one of the worse disaster ever, if they hadn't opened the gates, as people were still leaving the terraces and going for the exits putting pressure on those in front of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The easiest way of thinking about it is they dream of having 20K+ crowds in a state of the art stadium, we already do that. Their average is what? 7K at best and they dreamt of selling out 21K. We currently get an average of 21K so it's akin to us thinking we would get 63,000 at our games. it's not going to happen, we know it, they know it too! 

Well, not for a couple of years.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Plus another one stood behind the city bench (and bench it was) in the home terrace opposite?

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I did read on one of the sagchat links  where one said a 15k wasn't enough because they had 11k in non league at the mem. Yes they did indeed, and I have no arguments at all about that, BUT......

It happened once in the whole season which was the last game. Other than that they had a really good case for a 21k+ stadium. To fill it up though may require the well used line "these things take time".

9 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

From BS30, I know more City than Gas

I'm BS30 too Seneca, still a fair bit of gas about so I gave them that one, even though very few probably go and literally ALL the kids seem to be in our red.

This better?

image.png.3a0bdf978f37ef3a7e242cf88b6366c7.png

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Flames 1