IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Was that ‘the pint that thinks it’s a quart’……   Actually, that’s wrong, I think it’s just come to me, Whitbread Trophy, I’m sure that was ‘the pint that thinks it’s a quart’   More fizzy muck……

Never could understand how that keg pasteurised muck got such a foothold into pubs, I have been a CAMRA member since the 70’s - when the Bristol branch met in the Stonehouse (miss that place) and always had a guest barrel at the meetings, that we had to finish before we could leave…. ?

Whitbread Trophy used to have a TV ad with a buxom blonde barmaid saying to a punter (about the beer), "Oh I don't like it, but I like the men who drink it".  That was good enough reason for my dad ?

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think that would've been an advert for Worthington E.  "Smooth and easy" went the tagline. The E stood for "Extra" as it was a bit stronger than the 2.2 OG (I kid ye not) normal Worthington Bitter.

It was sold from pumps with a big plastic E attached, which were a frequently swiped by teenaged 'erberts like me.

I wish I'd kept one. This bloke is selling one on eBay for £84!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124588262077?hash=item1d020a02bd:g:Hk4AAOSwPDVgFIR9

Just Backdated: THE NORTH OF ENGLAND BEER DRINKING CONTEST, 1968

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Never could understand how that keg pasteurised muck got such a foothold into pubs, I have been a CAMRA member since the 70’s - when the Bristol branch met in the Stonehouse (miss that place) and always had a guest barrel at the meetings, that we had to finish before we could leave…. ?

Was that the place by the side of the M32 near Easton? It was one of the first real ale pubs in Bristol I think and bit of a Mecca for us despite being in the ‘wrong’ ?side of town. 

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think those weak 70s beers were the reason I could drink 10 pints in those days and never get a hangover.

I was literally pissing it out faster than the alcohol could enter my bloodstream!  :laughcont:

I'm sure there was (in the dim and distant past) a YouTube video of the event - but I can't seem to find it. It was, as you can imagine - a lot of people who didn't care what they were drinking, as long as they were drinking something.

• Haha 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red DNA said:

Was that the place by the side of the M32 near Easton? It was one of the first real ale pubs in Bristol I think and bit of a Mecca for us despite being in the ‘wrong’ ?side of town. 

It was part of The Bunch of Grapes - used to be a folk club at one time and latterly punk bands.  It’s was where the Spectrum building is now, I know which one I prefer…….

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Never encountered that one. But then I lived in Whitstable, just down the road from Faversham, home of Shepherds Neame.

Being a student, you naturally went for the max strength beers - Bishop's Finger ale (known, inevitably, as Actresses Friend) or the aptly named Hurlimann's lager. 

Shepherd Neame - now you're talking. Lucky enough to go round the brewery a while ago and then on to Whitstable for fantastic seafood.

Particularly liked their Spitfire related advertising. All banned by the Advertising Standards folk for some odd reason, but still produced as souvenirs by the brewery.

Those of a nervous (or German) disposition look away now:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Shepherd Neame - now you're talking. Lucky enough to go round the brewery a while ago and then on to Whitstable for fantastic seafood.

Particularly liked their Spitfire related advertising. All banned by the Advertising Standards folk for some odd reason, but still produced as souvenirs by the brewery.

Those of a nervous (or German) disposition look away now:

Brilliant!  Can’t imagine why they banned it ?. Managed to offend almost everyone, awesome ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think those weak 70s beers were the reason I could drink 10 pints in those days and never get a hangover.

I was literally pissing it out faster than the alcohol could enter my bloodstream!  :laughcont:

Should of tried 10 pints of Blackthorn,6 or 6.5% back then.

Just now, NOTBLUE said:

Should of tried 10 pints of Blackthorn,6 or 6.5% back then.

Never been a fan of cider with bubbles.

Cheddar Valley, in its original recipe, that would do nicely.  

In moderation though. I wouldn't want to be like local legend Ten Pint Ted who shat himself in the pub after a hard night on the "Red".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It was part of The Bunch of Grapes - used to be a folk club at one time and latterly punk bands.  It’s was where the Spectrum building is now, I know which one I prefer…….

Thanks. 
Now you’ve answered that, I remember and can also answer my own question - the pub by the side of the M32 was The Old Fox. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Never been a fan of cider with bubbles.

Cheddar Valley, in its original recipe, that would do nicely.  

In moderation though. I wouldn't want to be like local legend Ten Pint Ted who shat himself in the pub after a hard night on the "Red".

Cheddar Valley. Jesus Christ. That’s the worst thing in the world. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Cheddar Valley. Jesus Christ. That’s the worst thing in the world. 

Blasphemy!Shun the non believer.Burn him with fire!I believe Fordy'that you are a resident of that strange faraway land called "the Midlands "?Don't worry sir,I am sure there is no shortage of Magners "served" over ice available there for you and your kind.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Blasphemy!Shun the non believer.Burn him with fire!I believe Fordy'that you are a resident of that strange faraway land called "the Midlands "?Don't worry sir,I am sure there is no shortage of Magners "served" over ice available there for you and your kind.

37 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

For one's guts certainly - any more than about 4 pints and you will forget the rest of the evening

I once had several pints in about 2014.  Had a week off work convinced I had a brain tumour. 

That night I ordered a dominos pizza. Found the receipt in my pocket. Went next door and ordered Indian. Never went back for the Dominos. Went home with the Indian and kept telling the wife it was Chinese. She tell the story that I kept pushing the spoon I was using into various parts of my face because I was missing my mouth.

Scary thing is, that very evening we helped some girls in Worcester change the wheel on their car because they had a flat. I dread to think...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I once had several pints in about 2014.  Had a week off work convinced I had a brain tumour. 

That night I ordered a dominos pizza. Found the receipt in my pocket. Went next door and ordered Indian. Never went back for the Dominos. Went home with the Indian and kept telling the wife it was Chinese. She tell the story that I kept pushing the spoon I was using into various parts of my face because I was missing my mouth.

Scary thing is, that very evening we helped some girls in Worcester change the wheel on their car because they had a flat. I dread to think...

Sounds like a very successful evening!