Jump to content
IGNORED

Basement Rovers dustbin thread


42nite

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

 

I'd be surprised if anyone had heard of him and it's no surprise he looks happy, judging by his career so far joining the Gas is genuinely a step up for him.

Started his youth career at Barnard Castle, cue jokes about needing his eyesight tested. :)

Screenshot_20210626-072126_Chrome.jpg

a loan to Ryhope Colliery Welfare - the absolute stuff of dreams!

Have the fewers started the "announce promotion" BS yet?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cityal said:

a loan to Ryhope Colliery Welfare - the absolute stuff of dreams!

Have the fewers started the "announce promotion" BS yet?

I read that he's only ever scored 1 league goal, 2 in a league cup match at Carlisle and a hat trick against Villa U23s in the tinpot trophy. 

That sound you can hear is the noise of the bottom of the barrel as it's being scraped.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cityal said:

a loan to Ryhope Colliery Welfare - the absolute stuff of dreams!

Have the fewers started the "announce promotion" BS yet?

They started the announce promotion as soon as they got relegated they said they would have an early promotion party because League 2 will be a walk over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

 

I'd be surprised if anyone had heard of him and it's no surprise he looks happy, judging by his career so far joining the Gas is genuinely a step up for him.

Started his youth career at Barnard Castle, cue jokes about needing his eyesight tested. :)

Screenshot_20210626-072126_Chrome.jpg

So many loans.  

Didn't Bishop Auckland win the first world cup - I seem to remember a film about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Think the gas have serious competition for tinpot club of the year this year, what with the goings on at Wednesday Derby and Swindon 

NO ONE does it better than the Gas. 
They are a constant source of ridicule. Their list   of comedy gold is just endless.

 I still laugh out loud when I think of their promotion bus tour and the thousands of missing fans who stayed at home to cheer them on. 
:rofl2br:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reigate Red said:

So many loans.  

Didn't Bishop Auckland win the first world cup - I seem to remember a film about it.

Yes, I remember watching that. England refused to enter a team and somehow BAFC got entered and won. In the film, the BA captain does a team pep talk, I seem to remember the phrase “Give ‘em Iron” (think a lot of the team worked in a iron smelting factory). 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reigate Red said:

So many loans.  

Didn't Bishop Auckland win the first world cup - I seem to remember a film about it.

 

15 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Yes, I remember watching that. England refused to enter a team and somehow BAFC got entered and won. In the film, the BA captain does a team pep talk, I seem to remember the phrase “Give ‘em Iron” (think a lot of the team worked in a iron smelting factory). 

West Auckland won it; they are a village team near to the more famous Bishop Auckland.

I remember the film with Dennis Waterman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Auckland#:~:text=West Auckland Town F.C. is,awarded the trophy to keep

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately Rovers are part of Bristol Football and always will be, I remember the old days when they played at Eastville and their end then was the tote end. I also recall some derby matches in the 70,s and the interaction and the battels on the pitch and off the pitch. 

They are a team and club that have always struggled and been second fiddle to the OTIB. And we know amongst us the the club that who is located at BS3 will always be known as the football club associated with the city of Bristol.

I know this might seem a bit weird but they are now in League two and those of us old enough that means the old fourth division. they have been there before and dropped down to the Conference around 2013/14 and came good.

I was impressed that they have just signed Harvey Soundess and Aaron C. it shows that they are still around and still fighting to maintain quality football in Bristol.

They will always exist and we will always take the piss out of them.  However not sure how we need to try and show them some resect or not on this forum. After all even though they are blue and dodgy pirates and originally called the black Arabs when they were formed its still good having them around to keep the banter live.

 

  • Confused 4
  • Hmmm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I'd be quite happy to see em disappear off the face of the earth tbh. 

No, it's always sad when any sports team disappears. I'll settle for them to simply drop further down football's pyramid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, City oz said:

Unfortunately Rovers are part of Bristol Football and always will be, I remember the old days when they played at Eastville and their end then was the tote end. I also recall some derby matches in the 70,s and the interaction and the battels on the pitch and off the pitch. 

They are a team and club that have always struggled and been second fiddle to the OTIB. And we know amongst us the the club that who is located at BS3 will always be known as the football club associated with the city of Bristol.

I know this might seem a bit weird but they are now in League two and those of us old enough that means the old fourth division. they have been there before and dropped down to the Conference around 2013/14 and came good.

I was impressed that they have just signed Harvey Soundess and Aaron C. it shows that they are still around and still fighting to maintain quality football in Bristol.

They will always exist and we will always take the piss out of them.  However not sure how we need to try and show them some resect or not on this forum. After all even though they are blue and dodgy pirates and originally called the black Arabs when they were formed its still good having them around to keep the banter live.

 

There is thread of over a thousand pages long for that lot , but you needed to start another one 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I am concerned there is no rivalry. They are a nothing club with a dwindling fan base who continually revel in being ramshackle holding onto some obscure misguided view that they think it gives them a "family" feel. They are stuck in the 1970's and hark back to some cup run they had over 60 years ago.

The only times they come up in conversation is usually to laugh at their inept tinpottidness which happens on a daily basis.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Signing a player from Hartlepool might be inspired. Brian Drysdale had ben playing for Hartlepool and was considering giving up the game as his career was going nowhere. Then out of the blue, City made a bid for him which he and Hartlepool jumped at. BD went on to be a regular fixture at left back and helped us into Div 1.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, 22A said:

Signing a player from Hartlepool might be inspired. Brian Drysdale had ben playing for Hartlepool and was considering giving up the game as his career was going nowhere. Then out of the blue, City made a bid for him which he and Hartlepool jumped at. BD went on to be a regular fixture at left back and helped us into Div 1.

You need a scout or manager with a good eye for a player.

Jim Brennan was playing in the reserves when Benny Lennartson saw how good he was and stuck him into the first team; then he was sold to Forest for £1.5m.

That was "a lot of money in those days".

Without Benny spotting his ability that wouldn't have happened.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2021 at 11:07, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Who the **** are Harvey Soundness and Aaron C?

Are you the poster who lives in Australia?

 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

 

I was thinking that.  They sound like a particularly shit drum'n'bass outfit.

Could well have been in So Solid Crew at some point, there's millions of them...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Taz said:

 

Could well have been in So Solid Crew at some point, there's millions of them...

I would imagine that "Aaron C" is not his real name. Probably doesn't want the ridicule or shame of anybody knowing how far he's gone down the footballing pyramid. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Basement Rovers dustbin thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...