IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

I did hear it mentioned in commentary that there was a Bristol City player in one of the teams, but can't remember which country, never mind the player's name.  The same with a lot of players who played for other countries, watching a match for 90 minutes doesn't ingrain the names in the brain forever.

You spend a hell of a lot of time on here as a Gashead, have been a member of this forum for 14 years and yet you can’t name any of our players past or present apart from Scottie Murray?  Hmmmm ok then! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I had to look and see if this was genuine, and you know what...

No only is it a real Twitter account, but his Bio may explain a lot 

"Bristol Rovers columnist for the Bristol Post. Probably the only Gashead in Peterborough"

W⚓ ✊?

?

There was a gashead who worked in a pub. I made a point of going in there wearing my City top. Sadly the Horse & Groom is now demolished and I've no idea of what became him. Meanwhile there's about a dozen City fans with either a PE (Pboro) or CB (Cambridge) post code.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

To be honest I don't take a great interest in international football these days

I don’t even take a great deal of interest in domestic football these days (apart from City).

On the odd occasion I watch MOTD and Everton or Palace or Watford etc are playing, I’m thinking “who the **** are these players?” then you find out they signed pre season for £50 million from River Plate or somewhere? ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, In the Net said:

Apart from your manager, the only person at BCFC that I could name or recognise is Scott Murray.  When we haven't played each other for a fair number of years, there's no reason for either set of fans to be aware of who plays for the other team.  Whereas going back to the days of regular derby matches, I could still probably name around 75% of your players. 

Last season or so we have been poor but over the last 5 years the profile of Bristol City and its players have never been higher since the 70s . To say you are in our shadow in an understatement. , you team is on the dark side of the moon in footballing terms.  I’ve worked around the country and if you weren’t a avid football fan you would not be aware that Bristol had two clubs .  Bristol Rovers is on par with Barnet , Wycombe, York City , that is your level.  The only similarity between Bristol City and Bristol Rovers is that we both have Bristol in our name.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, In the Net said:

Apart from your manager, the only person at BCFC that I could name or recognise is Scott Murray.  When we haven't played each other for a fair number of years, there's no reason for either set of fans to be aware of who plays for the other team.  Whereas going back to the days of regular derby matches, I could still probably name around 75% of your players. 

Come on Netty, how about Tomas Kalas and Adam Nagy who played in the Euros? Then there are King, James and Simpson who have played in the Premier League. Even fringe players such as Massengo and Moore are international youth players. The only Rovers player I’d recognise is Brett Pitman due to his spell at City approx 10 years ago. He’s been on the pies since he left City so way past his best. Of course, in Joey Barton, Rovers has someone of has international fame but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

You spend a hell of a lot of time on here as a Gashead, have been a member of this forum for 14 years and yet you can’t name any of our players past or present apart from Scottie Murray?  Hmmmm ok then! 

To be fair, you'll find alot of lower league club supporters also pick a 2nd team to follow, in a higher division. 

?

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, In the Net said:

So you spend more time on this forum than some of our supporters. You must know every player we have. 

Behave..

2 hours ago, lenred said:

My original post was in response to somebody who didn't know who Chris Lines was, and I said it's pretty much the same for me with current City players, because the two clubs have not played each other for a long time, so I have no reason to be up to date with who is in your squad.  I could probably name your complete team which got promoted to the old Division One, along with a lot of players from the 1980's, 1990's, and maybe a bit later.  These days there is nothing in common, unless we get drawn together in a cup again.

I do spend quite a lot of time on here, I've said before that there are some interesting debates, and the humour is generally good.  I'm mainly in this thread or the mental health one, along with any more general football related threads which may catch my interest.

Sorry if I have offended you with my lack of knowledge - I'm just being honest.  I wouldn't expect many people on here to know our current (or recent) players. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Come on Netty, how about Tomas Kalas and Adam Nagy who played in the Euros? Then there are King, James and Simpson who have played in the Premier League. Even fringe players such as Massengo and Moore are international youth players. The only Rovers player I’d recognise is Brett Pitman due to his spell at City approx 10 years ago. He’s been on the pies since he left City so way past his best. Of course, in Joey Barton, Rovers has someone of has international fame but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons 

Apologies, I do know of Massengo, he came from Monaco (I think) and made a generous donation to one of the fundraising efforts.  Rumour was that you were "babysitting" him for Chelsea, until their transfer ban ended - but obviously not! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, In the Net said:

My original post was in response to somebody who didn't know who Chris Lines was, and I said it's pretty much the same for me with current City players, because the two clubs have not played each other because we've been shit for a long time, so I have no reason to be up to date with who is in any squad higher than league one, because we'll never have to concern ourselves with them.  I could probably name your complete team which got promoted to the old Division One, along with a lot of players from the 1980's, 1990's, when we used to play you.  Since then we've preferred to look at the likes of Wycombe, FGR & Barnet as our main rivals.

These days there is nothing in common, unless we get drawn together in the first round of a cup again. Unlikely, because we've usually been knocked out by the time you enter a competition, or we don't qualify because we've not been a league team. 

I do spend quite a lot of time on here, I've said before that there are some interesting debates, unlike the mindless drivel & lies that fester on our own forum and the humour is generally good.  I'm mainly in this thread, or the mental health one, along with any more general football related threads which may catch my interest.

Sorry if I have offended you with my lack of knowledge - I'm just being honest.  I wouldn't expect many people on here to know our current (or recent) players because, let's face it, who pays any attention to league 2 football...?!

I've rectified a couple typos in your post. ?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, In the Net said:

My original post was in response to somebody who didn't know who Chris Lines was, and I said it's pretty much the same for me with current City players, because the two clubs have not played each other for a long time, so I have no reason to be up to date with who is in your squad.  I could probably name your complete team which got promoted to the old Division One, along with a lot of players from the 1980's, 1990's, and maybe a bit later.  These days there is nothing in common, unless we get drawn together in a cup again.

I do spend quite a lot of time on here, I've said before that there are some interesting debates, and the humour is generally good.  I'm mainly in this thread or the mental health one, along with any more general football related threads which may catch my interest.

Sorry if I have offended you with my lack of knowledge - I'm just being honest.  I wouldn't expect many people on here to know our current (or recent) players. 

Why would you have offended me? You spend a lot of time on here amd contribute to a lot of posts and have done over a lot of years which is fair enough, I find it very weird tbh but it’s a free country and message board (unlike your own board of course), so I just don’t believe you in all that time that you spend on here that any names of our players have not seeped in!   No big deal and certainly not offended by it. 

14 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I hear that, even the 1970's stuff is becoming a bit of a stretch,  no hope.

?

They say 'if you can remember the 70s, you weren't there'. As I was 3 in 1970, I can remember quite a bit about the 70s. The mid / late 80's on the other hand, no idea! ;)

One day I was finishing school in 1983, the next day it was 1990 and I was getting married. Not a clue what happened in  between but I must have enjoyed it. 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Did you go to the Mem last night itn? Was it as crap as we hope?

First half was the best we've seen for a long time - not that the bar is set very high in that respect.  Oldham made some changes for 2nd half, and came into the game more, but overall a promising performance.  It's good to have fans back in the grounds, maybe normality is gradually returning. 

1 minute ago, In the Net said:

First half was the best we've seen for a long time - not that the bar is set very high in that respect.  Oldham made some changes for 2nd half, and came into the game more, but overall a promising performance.  It's good to have fans back in the grounds, maybe normality is gradually returning. 

Fair play ItN, I wanted to hear it was garbage though. :)

• Haha 1