Jump to content
IGNORED

Basement Rovers dustbin thread


42nite

Recommended Posts

Just had an advert to go and see Queen playing live at the Mem.  Couldn't believe it and then saw the tickets were only 20 quid.  You had to dig pretty deep to realise it was just a tribute band (the ticket price was a bit of a giveaway mind).  I wonder how many people they will manage to dupe with this scam). They can't put out a genuine football team let alone attract a proper band. Total amateurs in just about every way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, In the Net said:

Of course, you were still getting 20,000 at Ashton Gate when you were in the old 4th division. 

Of course not, but then that really was some time ago in the dark & distant past. 

Football has had a resurgence since the late 90's with attendances generally on the up. 

You weren't getting crowds as low as now, consistently, when you were non league were you..? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Just had an advert to go and see Queen playing live at the Mem.  Couldn't believe it and then saw the tickets were only 20 quid.  You had to dig pretty deep to realise it was just a tribute band (the ticket price was a bit of a giveaway mind).  I wonder how many people they will manage to dupe with this scam). They can't put out a genuine football team let alone attract a proper band. Total amateurs in just about every way.

I just googled the gig and on some ticket sites it is not clear that it’s the cast from the West End musical.  I thought until I saw your post that is was Queen with Brian May etc.  A second rate concert in a third rate stadium , sure to be a sell out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, In the Net said:

Of course, you were still getting 20,000 at Ashton Gate when you were in the old 4th division. 

Very generous of you. 

No we weren’t...but as has been explained about 500 times, not many clubs WERE getting 20k+ in the early 80s.

4-5k gates were common place in the bottom 2 divisions and Ashton Gate and Eastville were no exception for various reasons.

Comparing today’s crowds with those in that time period is pointless as no one comes out of it looking good.

 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Taz said:

Yet there will be some dopey sags going "thinks he's better than he is, go to the non league because that's the standard he's good for". 

Then they might realise that said non league player was approached BY THEM

19 and gets dogs abuse (sorry Darrell) from his "own" fans because of his connections to us. Then they wonder why he doesn't want to sign for them years later :blink:

This cracks me up as well.

They’re over the moon that he’s turned them down with their “we can do better than him...” attitude.

...and I’m thinking, you’ve just been turned down by John Akinde, I doubt Harry Kane is waiting for Joey to ring him 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The last time you averaged 20k was 1958.

I bow to your superior knowledge on this, I don't have in depth knowledge about our historic attendance figures.  For as long as I've been interested in football, I think you've usually had larger crowds, so it's not something I particularly focus on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

No we weren’t...but as has been explained about 500 times, not many clubs WERE getting 20k+ in the early 80s.

4-5k gates were common place in the bottom 2 divisions and Ashton Gate and Eastville were no exception for various reasons.

Comparing today’s crowds with those in that time period is pointless as no one comes out of it looking good.

 

I quite agree.  It was just an off the cuff comment in response to the original poster, as he was talking out of his arse by suggesting that £6k home fans was a ridiculous figure for a league two game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, In the Net said:

Of course, you were still getting 20,000 at Ashton Gate when you were in the old 4th division. 

Very generous of you. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

No we weren’t...but as has been explained about 500 times, not many clubs WERE getting 20k+ in the early 80s.

4-5k gates were common place in the bottom 2 divisions and Ashton Gate and Eastville were no exception for various reasons.

Comparing today’s crowds with those in that time period is pointless as no one comes out of it looking good.

 

1984.

Us ..........    Div 4 average attendance 7,287 (high of 12,810)

Them .....   Div 3 average attendance. 5,550 (high of 7,568)

1984 was an all time low for attendances , that figure of 7,287 was better than 7 clubs in League 2 (Championship) including Cardiff & Swansea. Their average was 6th in their division.  Only 10 clubs averaged over 20k that year. Average for 3rd tier was under 5k & 4th tier under 3k . 

Different times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I quite agree.  It was just an off the cuff comment in response to the original poster, as he was talking out of his arse by suggesting that £6k home fans was a ridiculous figure for a league two game.

Not sure he was taking the mick in the context of it being a League 2 fixture.

Probably the fact that as a fanbase you bang on about needing a bigger ground, yet can't fill the one you've got. Rovers fans harp on about the catchment area and potential fanbase, and label themselves as "Loyal and True" yet defeat in your first home fixture saw your crowd drop by 15% for the next.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/brir.htm

Edited by glynriley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I quite agree.  It was just an off the cuff comment in response to the original poster, as he was talking out of his arse by suggesting that £6k home fans was a ridiculous figure for a league two game.

But that's the point isn't it. 6,000 for a league two side is pretty decent. And if 15er fans went around saying that that they have a slightly above average fanbase for league two, then I don't think any of us would argue.

However, when you (your fans in general, not necessarily you personally) go around boasting of how amazing your fanbase is and how you consistently "pack the mem" then yes, 6,000 is indeed a pitiful attendance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I quite agree.  It was just an off the cuff comment in response to the original poster, as he was talking out of his arse by suggesting that £6k home fans was a ridiculous figure for a league two game.

No I wasn't. 

It's just fairly pathetic figure for a club that boasts about how big/how much potential they have and how amazing & loyel their supporters are. 

6k in the 4th division isn't bad for plenty of clubs, but it very much contradicts what a Bristol Rovers & their fans claim, repeatedly..! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

I bow to your superior knowledge on this, I don't have in depth knowledge about our historic attendance figures.  For as long as I've been interested in football, I think you've usually had larger crowds, so it's not something I particularly focus on.

No superior knowledge, just a Google search.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

I bow to your superior knowledge on this, I don't have in depth knowledge about our historic attendance figures.  For as long as I've been interested in football, I think you've usually had larger crowds, so it's not something I particularly focus on.

Then you are very much in a minority. The majority of Gasheads are totally deluded when it comes to supporting the blue quarter(s) of Bristol.

Faithful and True. Massive fan base. Big fish in a small pond. Take 40k (26k in actual figures) to Wembley.

Massive away following - the envy of many clubs (all of which LOVE ROVERS and HATE THE SHIT by the way!)

Most believe their 'perceived' massive fan base means that they are a big club who deserve to be in the Championship and at least one place higher than DA SHIT!

Oh....and your comment about remembering the 1970's....Well, you are definitely a true Gashead then. You couldn't be a proper Gashead if you didn't reminisce about the Tote End, Smash 'n' Grab, Paul Randall and the famous bore fest penalty shoot out lottery win over Sheffield United in the Watney Cup. Being stuck somewhere between 1972-1978 in terms of memory defines your average Gashead.....with splashing of 2nd May and a bit of 1982. 🤣

 

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Then you are very much in a minority. The majority of Gasheads are totally deluded when it comes to supporting the blue quarter(s) of Bristol.

Faithful and True. Massive fan base. Big fish in a small pond. Take 40k (26k in actual figures) to Wembley.

Massive away following - the envy of many clubs (all of which LOVE ROVERS and HATE THE SHIT by the way!)

Most believe their 'perceived' massive fan base means that they are a big club who deserve to be in the Championship and at least one place higher than DA SHIT!

Oh....and your comment about remembering the 1970's....Well, you are definitely a true Gashead then. You couldn't be a proper Gashead if you didn't reminisce about the Tote End, Smash 'n' Grab, Paul Randall and the famous bore fest penalty shoot out lottery win over Sheffield United in the Watney Cup. Being stuck somewhere between 1974-1978 in terms of memory defines your average Gashead.

 

Great post it just about sums them up. We are the bigger club. They had smash and grab, we had cheese and Tom. In 1983-84 we were in the league below and still had bigger crowds with a team filled with oaps and youth players, take a bow TC and Martyn Hirst. We were rock bottom in 82 but we still had our own ground. Rovers were rock bottom in 1986 because they couldn't get enough fans through the turnstiles and of course sold their ground to the dogs in the 1950's and leased it back. Thus Eastville wasn't theirs. I couldn't give a toss about them to be honest to me they've always had a small man syndrome about them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

I quite agree.  It was just an off the cuff comment in response to the original poster, as he was talking out of his arse by suggesting that £6k home fans was a ridiculous figure for a league two game.

Fair enough.

Although I don’t believe he was saying that 6k is ridiculous for L2...more like 6k is ridiculous for a club who’s fans (not all, but a seemingly large %) claim to have a ‘massive’ and ‘loyal’ fanbase when, in reality, Rovers fans are no better than anyone else.

We often post examples straight from Slagchat of some throbber or another claiming that Rovers are too big for the Mem or too big for L2, “travelling support the envy of many clubs” bollocks so you know the type of Gashead we’re taking aim at when it comes to sarcastic remarks on here.

In fairness to you, you never come out with stuff like that (not seriously anyway).
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Then you are very much in a minority. The majority of Gasheads are totally deluded when it comes to supporting the blue quarter(s) of Bristol.

Faithful and True. Massive fan base. Big fish in a small pond. Take 40k (26k in actual figures) to Wembley.

Massive away following - the envy of many clubs (all of which LOVE ROVERS and HATE THE SHIT by the way!)

Most believe their 'perceived' massive fan base means that they are a big club who deserve to be in the Championship and at least one place higher than DA SHIT!

Oh....and your comment about remembering the 1970's....Well, you are definitely a true Gashead then. You couldn't be a proper Gashead if you didn't reminisce about the Tote End, Smash 'n' Grab, Paul Randall and the famous bore fest penalty shoot out lottery win over Sheffield United in the Watney Cup. Being stuck somewhere between 1972-1978 in terms of memory defines your average Gashead.....with splashing of 2nd May and a bit of 1982. 🤣

 

This.
I find that the fiercest hand relief of the average gas head  is reserved for their tremendous and unrivalled away support. They genuinely do believe that it’s that good! The other day there was a gas head having a pop by saying we only average 400 more than them away from home the season before last 😂😂😂.

#gaslogic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bs3 said:

I just googled the gig and on some ticket sites it is not clear that it’s the cast from the West End musical.  I thought until I saw your post that is was Queen with Brian May etc.  A second rate concert in a third rate stadium , sure to be a sell out.

This could be comedy gold if people think they are going to see Brian May, there would be multiple complaints and would make headlines.

A bit like the Lapland New Forest fiasco about 10 years ago, fits right in with the state of the Mem, (coming to think of it that maybe that is where Rovers got Santas Grotto from)? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-11842396

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not responsible for, or necessarily in agreement with, everything which is said or done by my fellow supporters.  I've always tried to be honest when commenting on things which have happened at the club, be they good or bad.  @Bar BS3seems to have a bit of personal vendetta, unfortunately without any wit to make it entertaining.

I totally get that it seems a bit odd that I post on here, although, for me, it's largely been a positive experience.

Edited by In the Net
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I'm not responsible for, or necessarily in agreement with, everything which is said or done by my fellow supporters.  I've always tried to be honest when commenting on things which have happened at the club, be they good or bad.  @Bar BS3seems to have a bit of personal vendetta, unfortunately without any wit to make it entertaining.

I totally get that it seems a bit odd that I post on here, although, for me, it's largely been a positive experience.

I must be honest and say that I am not sure why the posts about various Gashead delusions are being aimed at you. 

There have been several different posters from the other side, that have posted here  one or two seem a bit silly, but you are one of the ones that contributes well and doesn't deserve to be castigated.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I'm not responsible for, or necessarily in agreement with, everything which is said or done by my fellow supporters.  I've always tried to be honest when commenting on things which have happened at the club, be they good or bad.  @Bar BS3seems to have a bit of personal vendetta, unfortunately without any wit to make it entertaining.

I totally get that it seems a bit odd that I post on here, although, for me, it's largely been a positive experience.

I like to get honest views In The Net and like your posts. You’ll always get supporters from both clubs who are not so friendly, but that’s football. Keep posting mate.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

I'm not responsible for, or necessarily in agreement with, everything which is said or done by my fellow supporters.  I've always tried to be honest when commenting on things which have happened at the club, be they good or bad.  @Bar BS3seems to have a bit of personal vendetta, unfortunately without any wit to make it entertaining.

I totally get that it seems a bit odd that I post on here, although, for me, it's largely been a positive experience.

Your opinions are valued by the majority on here, ITN, just as other sensible fans from many other clubs are.

Can you go and find Miah Dennehy though, and bring him back ?

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...