Jump to content
IGNORED

Basement Rovers dustbin thread


42nite

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Legend'? never heard of him.

image.png.d481c5a55db89598bdbe194f62b022bb.png

 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

International footballer don't you know!!! 

 

Yep, 12 appearances for the mighty Gibraltar.  Now appearing in the Northwest Counties div 1 for Sikh community team Sporting Khalsa.

Gas leg-end!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

When i was young i did. Now i could only name a few. Why?

They are irrelevant now

There's a young lad stands next to me he's been there with his friends the last couple of seasons, his mates weren't there, so when the East End were singing "Joey's going down" he turned to me and the conversation was.

"Who are they singing about?"

Me. "Joey Barton"

"Ah right,........ who does he play for these days?"

Me. "He doesn't play for anyone, he's Manager of the rovers"

"Ah right.......... and they aren't doing very well?"

Me. "No especially if they lose today"

"Uhuh, what's the Cardiff score?"

‐‐_

That's how important they are in the scheme of things these days,  I think it's only us oldies, that have even a passing interest in their results.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There's a young lad stands next to me he's been there with his friends the last couple of seasons, his mates weren't there, so when the East End were singing "Joey's going down" he turned to me and the conversation was.

"Who are they singing about?"

Me. "Joey Barton"

"Ah right,........ who does he play for these days?"

Me. "He doesn't play for anyone, he's Manager of the rovers"

"Ah right.......... and they aren't doing very well?"

Me. "No especially if they lose today"

"Uhuh, what's the Cardiff score?"

‐‐_

That's how important they are in the scheme of things these days,  I think it's only us oldies, that have even a passing interest in their results.

I get this.

I’m not super young but for me; Rovers haven’t been realistic opposition to us throughout most of my time supporting City - they are a hilarious side show rather than any kind of threat.

Cardiff on the other hand… been some close fought, fierce rivalry games across the last while, and I am more concerned about the games against them than I would one against Rovers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There's a young lad stands next to me he's been there with his friends the last couple of seasons, his mates weren't there, so when the East End were singing "Joey's going down" he turned to me and the conversation was.

"Who are they singing about?"

Me. "Joey Barton"

"Ah right,........ who does he play for these days?"

Me. "He doesn't play for anyone, he's Manager of the rovers"

"Ah right.......... and they aren't doing very well?"

Me. "No especially if they lose today"

"Uhuh, what's the Cardiff score?"

‐‐_

That's how important they are in the scheme of things these days,  I think it's only us oldies, that have even a passing interest in their results.

There’s a lot of truth in this, my two boys are in their late 20’s and have hardly ever seen a Derby except the 2-1 game 7/8 years ago, they have no dislike for them or their fans and get on really well with the odd gashead that they know, there just isn’t the hatred their was in the 30 years pre millennium because they are such an irrelevance and non-entity now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, samo II said:

I get this.

I’m not super young but for me; Rovers haven’t been realistic opposition to us throughout most of my time supporting City - they are a hilarious side show rather than any kind of threat.

Cardiff on the other hand… been some close fought, fierce rivalry games across the last while, and I am more concerned about the games against them than I would one against Rovers.

Christ. Just had a think about that. I’m 40. More than half my life they’ve been below us and I’m pretty old!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Christ. Just had a think about that. I’m 40. More than half my life they’ve been below us and I’m pretty old!

Im not far behind…

And yes; it’s 20 years since we had any meaningful league action against them - I remember well the last league win against them; them going up in the first minute, only for us to come back.

Thing is; it’s basically a near-childhood memory now - the games since haven’t carried the same weight, and don’t see matches like that retuning any time soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Legend'? never heard of him.

image.png.d481c5a55db89598bdbe194f62b022bb.png

Must have seemed quite novel to those in attendance. 

Watching Rovers playing against a team wearing their own away kit - and not ending up in non league..! 

  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many managers can boast a Top 5 list like this?

#5. Joey Barton stubbs Cigar Bud in Youth Player's Eye (Fined six weeks' wages)
#4. Joey Barton exposes Himself to Everton Fans (Fined £2000)
#3. Joey Barton's Incarceration (Sentenced to six months behind bars)
#2. Joey Barton Gouges Out a Teammate’s Eye (Four-month suspended sentence +200 hours of community service + £3000 compensation)
#1. Joey Barton's Ugly QPR Incident (Suspended for 12 games and fined £75,000)

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5-times-bristol-rovers-manager-has-made-bad-news

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

How many managers can boast a Top 5 list like this?

#5. Joey Barton stubbs Cigar Bud in Youth Player's Eye (Fined six weeks' wages)
#4. Joey Barton exposes Himself to Everton Fans (Fined £2000)
#3. Joey Barton's Incarceration (Sentenced to six months behind bars)
#2. Joey Barton Gouges Out a Teammate’s Eye (Four-month suspended sentence +200 hours of community service + £3000 compensation)
#1. Joey Barton's Ugly QPR Incident (Suspended for 12 games and fined £75,000)

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5-times-bristol-rovers-manager-has-made-bad-news

Family club mind . . . . .  as in keeping it in the family

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

How many managers can boast a Top 5 list like this?

#5. Joey Barton stubbs Cigar Bud in Youth Player's Eye (Fined six weeks' wages)
#4. Joey Barton exposes Himself to Everton Fans (Fined £2000)
#3. Joey Barton's Incarceration (Sentenced to six months behind bars)
#2. Joey Barton Gouges Out a Teammate’s Eye (Four-month suspended sentence +200 hours of community service + £3000 compensation)
#1. Joey Barton's Ugly QPR Incident (Suspended for 12 games and fined £75,000)

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5-times-bristol-rovers-manager-has-made-bad-news

And after the latest charge(s), the wishing Wael was right on the ball:

"Firstly, I think it is really important to confirm that as a club we stand firmly against any form of violence. Any individual that is found guilty of any such offences will be dismissed immediately. I understand the concerns expressed by a number of you.

Why would someone with Wallys so called principles hire him in the first place, it's as if that statement is a load of bull and was made up to appease a few of the saggies....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

How many managers can boast a Top 5 list like this?

#5. Joey Barton stubbs Cigar Bud in Youth Player's Eye (Fined six weeks' wages)
#4. Joey Barton exposes Himself to Everton Fans (Fined £2000)
#3. Joey Barton's Incarceration (Sentenced to six months behind bars)
#2. Joey Barton Gouges Out a Teammate’s Eye (Four-month suspended sentence +200 hours of community service + £3000 compensation)
#1. Joey Barton's Ugly QPR Incident (Suspended for 12 games and fined £75,000)

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5-times-bristol-rovers-manager-has-made-bad-news

The team was out for a Christmas party in 2004 when a fracas ensued between Tandy and Barton, who had dressed up as Jimmy Savile.

All makes sense now the cigar was part of his Jimmy Saville costume.😟

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, harrys said:

“Our supporters travel in VAST numbers across the country”.

They just can’t stop themselves

Yes, they’re like the Leeds Utd of the basement division. I imagine Barrow won’t be the only club this year who will be financially secure for decades after hosting the Gas and their gargantuan army of travelling supporters....

 

C8045B79-284A-4C61-8C45-A376ABFBBA37.jpeg

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/09/2021 at 14:45, wendyredredrobin said:

To be honest, does anyone know any of their players?

Well, if you listen to the Gasheads I know, regardless of who currently plays for Rovers they'll reel off:-

Frankie Prince, Smash and Grab, Paul Randall and Olly Olloway.

When probed a little more they will mention Ricky Lambert because he scored 'that goal against the shit' and they all had a collective tug when he played for England.

This team of about 6 geriatrics are managed by Gerry Francis.

That's about it from the 'Stuck in the 70's Neanderthals'.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Super said:

“Bristol Rovers scored two late goals to come from behind to win the fixture on Saturday 25 September to claim three points in the League Two encounter.

These late goals led to both Bristol Rovers fans running onto the pitch to celebrate, contravening section four of Football Offences Act 1991.“

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve not seen any footage but if all they did was celebrate is it really proportionate for the police and Rovers to be trying to identify a few simpletons doing a little jig of delight after a rare win in the fourth division of English football?

I believe in looking after those less fortunate - Gasheads should be allowed the odd moment of enjoyment to distract themselves from their woeful club, miserable existence and the fact the gap’s 21st birthday is upon us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Globe Trotter said:

I’ve not seen any footage but if all they did was celebrate is it really proportionate for the police and Rovers to be trying to identify a few simpletons doing a little jig of delight after a rare win in the fourth division of English football?

I believe in looking after those less fortunate - Gasheads should be allowed the odd moment of enjoyment to distract themselves from their woeful club, miserable existence and the fact the gap’s 21st birthday is upon us.

A complete and total waste of police resources 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Well, if you listen to the Gasheads I know, regardless of who currently plays for Rovers they'll reel off:-

Frankie Prince, Smash and Grab, Paul Randall and Olly Olloway.

When probed a little more they will mention Ricky Lambert because he scored 'that goal against the shit' and they all had a collective tug when he played for England.

This team of about 6 geriatrics are managed by Gerry Francis.

That's about it from the 'Stuck in the 70's Neanderthals'.

You missed out Gary Penrice. He usually gets a mention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/09/2021 at 17:00, Port Said Red said:

There's a young lad stands next to me he's been there with his friends the last couple of seasons, his mates weren't there, so when the East End were singing "Joey's going down" he turned to me and the conversation was.

"Who are they singing about?"

Me. "Joey Barton"

"Ah right,........ who does he play for these days?"

Me. "He doesn't play for anyone, he's Manager of the rovers"

"Ah right.......... and they aren't doing very well?"

Me. "No especially if they lose today"

"Uhuh, what's the Cardiff score?"

‐‐_

That's how important they are in the scheme of things these days,  I think it's only us oldies, that have even a passing interest in their results.

I'm 30 first game my dad took me to was a derby which we won 2-0.

But I don't think of them as a rival the gap has been there for pretty much most of my life and it's hard to see them as rivals I'm more concerned with Cardiff and Swansea then I am the 15ers.

They are obsessed with us (singing songs about us, checking scores constantly etc) but it feels like we've moved on, we'll all have a chuckle about their misfortune but it's hard to think of them as a true rival anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...