Jump to content
IGNORED

Basement Rovers dustbin thread


42nite

Recommended Posts

People saying that Cardiff are our main rivals now? Don’t be daft. There isn’t a 2500+ page thread about Cardiff is there? They’ve lost their last two games 5-1 and 4-0 and I don’t really see anyone caring too much? Anyone who’s attended a Bristol derby knows that there’s simply no comparison it terms of hostility and hatred.

I don’t care if they end up in the downs league. I’ll always hate the fewers and they will ALWAYS be the main enemy. I want them to lose every single game and wish them nothing but failure. Cardiff are just a distraction and have their own rivals in Swansea.

  • Like 12
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

People saying that Cardiff are our main rivals now? Don’t be daft. There isn’t a 2500+ page thread about Cardiff is there? They’ve lost their last two games 5-1 and 4-0 and I don’t really see anyone caring too much? Anyone who’s attended a Bristol derby knows that there’s simply no comparison it terms of hostility and hatred.

I don’t care if they end up in the downs league. I’ll always hate the fewers and they will ALWAYS be the main enemy. I want them to lose every single game and wish them nothing but failure. Cardiff are just a distraction and have their own rivals in Swansea.

The point being that, apart from a JPT game maybe, there is a whole generation of fans that have never seen one and are unlikely to in the next 5/10 years.

Then you factor in the movement of people in todays society compared to the past, and you find the rivalry has diminished because it's not neighbour V neighbour anymore. 

We don't have 2500 page thread about Cardiff probably because they have had a far more successful time of it up until recently, and they are far less risible than the Gas.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The point being that, apart from a JPT game maybe, there is a whole generation of fans that have never seen one and are unlikely to in the next 5/10 years.

Then you factor in the movement of people in todays society compared to the past, and you find the rivalry has diminished because it's not neighbour V neighbour anymore. 

We don't have 2500 page thread about Cardiff probably because they have had a far more successful time of it up until recently, and they are far less risible than the Gas.

Also they don't come on our local media giving it the big one, about how wonderful their fans are and how special their club is  etc. etc. etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BS3City said:

The Blue Few aren't our rivals, and for me this thread has nothing to do with that. They were once but not anymore. For me it's about never forgetting their actions back in '82, and never missing an opportunity to laugh at them or joke at their expense, at situations they continue to pathetically create themselves. We're not making this stuff up!

So anyone under the age of 50 can possibly be forgiven for not "getting" where such an intense hatred comes from. Or if you do have the hatred it might be for other reasons (probably different to mine), but that I would respect nonetheless. But for me you had to live it to understand it.

For this reason I absolutely despise them, will never knowingly miss an opportunity to take the piss out of them, and will continue to do so until my last breath.

I'm off to Peterborough on Saturday cos I love my team, but will be shamelessly checking my phone for their score cos I hate them so much.

CTID 

(I feel better now) 😉

COYR!!!

well said sir im with you all the way,city has always been my life but i also have a second team every saturday for 90mins only, anyone that plays them smelly tossers.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

People saying that Cardiff are our main rivals now? Don’t be daft. There isn’t a 2500+ page thread about Cardiff is there? They’ve lost their last two games 5-1 and 4-0 and I don’t really see anyone caring too much? Anyone who’s attended a Bristol derby knows that there’s simply no comparison it terms of hostility and hatred.

Even with the shirt colour debacle from a few years back, Cardiff City are nowhere near the utter car crash Rovers are. Cardiff simply do not hand us the ammo with as much enthusiasm as the Gas do.

That aside our main rivals on the pitch are now Cardiff, we haven’t played Rovers in a meaningful League game for TWENTY years. Do I despise Cardiff? Yes...do I hate them as much as the Gas? No. That doesn’t change the fact that anyone under the age of 25/26 will never have been to a League Bristol Derby.

Until we’re back in the same division then Rovers are nothing more than a detestable club who exist only for our entertainment.

 

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cardiff would pat us on the head and say “bless” if we were to say that we considered them our biggest rivals. Their derby game and biggest rivalry is with Swansea and they don’t really care about us that much unless we are playing them. Even then, the atmosphere is tame.

You could make the argument that on footballing terms, Rovers are not a rival anymore because we don’t meet them on the pitch but for me the essence of rivalry is the history, tradition and divide that comes with it, not just what happens on the field. It’s about having to put up with the t0ssers at work, hearing the constant crap they spout in the local media, checking their result on a Saturday and it being the icing on the cake if we win and they lose. That’s what a rivalry is. Don’t kid yourself into thinking we have that with Cardiff. Southampton will still tell you they hate Portsmouth despite not playing them for a decade… likewise West Ham and Millwall, Watford and Luton etc.

Car crash or not, Rovers are the enemy. Even to the younger generation. We need to draw them in the cup and that will prove it beyond all doubt.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Cardiff would pat us on the head and say “bless” if we were to say that we considered them our biggest rivals. Their derby game and biggest rivalry is with Swansea and they don’t really care about us that much unless we are playing them. Even then, the atmosphere is tame.

Don’t kid yourself into thinking we have that with Cardiff. Southampton will still tell you they hate Portsmouth despite not playing them for a decade… likewise West Ham and Millwall, Watford and Luton etc.

 

Funny you should say that because they were certainly talking as if they consider us huge rivals before the recent Derby (in fact if you check out there forum everytime we play them, it’s clear that they consider us as one of their main rivals).

No point comparing our situation in Bristol with theirs in South Wales with Swansea. They often play Swansea and have been second fiddle to them in the League for many years.

I said I hate the Gas more than Cardiff, it was in my post in black and white. I was just pointing out that ON THE PITCH Rovers haven’t been our rivals for 2 decades....I’m not sure why that is causing confusion?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we take into account @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan‘s logic, you could build a case for Nottingham Forest being our biggest rivals. We’ve played them just about every season since the mid 2000s, games have been tight and sometimes controversial and we are often competing against them for playoffs/survival. We all hate Forest! Anyone ? No?

As I said before, it’s not just about what happens on the pitch. If it was, then the south coast, Tyne and Wear, and potteries derbies would have fizzled out by now and Man City and Liverpool would be bitter enemies. You’ve said yourself that you hate the gas more so I think that tells you everything right? Not prepared to argue about this anymore.

Edited by Wanderingred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Here’s a question for us all, do you reckon they will ever be in the same league as us ever again?

Definitely,the day will come when women can play alongside men.they would still be shite against our women

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

If we take into account @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan‘s logic, you could build a case for Nottingham Forest being our biggest rivals. We’ve played them just about every season since the mid 2000s, games have been tight and sometimes controversial and we are often competing against them for playoffs/survival. We all hate Forest! Anyone ? No?

As I said before, it’s not just about what happens on the pitch. If it was, then the south coast, Tyne and Wear, and potteries derbies would have fizzled out by now and Man City and Liverpool would be bitter enemies. You’ve said yourself that you hate the gas more so I think that tells you everything right? Not prepared to argue about this anymore.

I’m not sure how I can explain this any clearer.

Rovers are our biggest rivals

Cardiff have also always been rivals due to geography.

We don’t play Rovers anymore so our main rivalry ON THE PITCH is now our second most hated side, the team we DO play on a regular basis.

In my original post I even said that “until we’re back in the same division Rovers are just something for us to laugh at...”

No one is saying that Cardiff will always be our biggest rivals, just that for the time being Rovers provide no realistic rivalry where it matters...on the pitch and there’s a hell of a lot of our young fans who only know the Severnside Derby.

Why are you talking about Notts Forest? 🤣 Geographically and historically you cannot compare them with Cardiff?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Here’s a question for us all, do you reckon they will ever be in the same league as us ever again?

Unless there is either huge changes in ownership/financial circumstances (something SL seems keen to plan to avoid, while the blue few’s change of fortunes ended up a false dawn) for either or both clubs or football in general (like a collapse in the TV money), or we break some rules so badly we get fired down the leagues, I’m not convinced we will.

That said; while it is only a league difference, the ‘stars’ could always align one year - I had a suspicion that might have been this year… only for us to scrape by, and them to step through the trapdoor. Again.

Felt it might happen under the dog botherer as he seemed to make them much better than the sum of their parts, but where they are and what they have right now, I think they’ll need something big to change to make them look like a promotion side in their league, and even a completely apocalyptic relegation season from us I don’t think would make us a bottom half league one side.

If we ever get promoted; they can forget about it - the money and exposure from that; would hurt them almost more than it would help us, I think.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

We’ve basically agreed that Rovers are our rivals not Cardiff so why are you still wasting my time with your Ill thought out opinion?

Cardiff are one of our rivals, always have been. At the moment they’re the only local club to provide us with any real rivalry where it actually matters. I thought my “ill thought out opinion” made sense if you actually read it? You started banging on about Forest? 🤣

Doesn’t mean Rovers aren’t the team the majority of our fans hate the most, no one has said otherwise. That’s why I enjoy laughing at them so much. Long may it continue.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Funny you should say that because they were certainly talking as if they consider us huge rivals before the recent Derby (in fact if you check out there forum everytime we play them, it’s clear that they consider us as one of their main rivals).

No point comparing our situation in Bristol with theirs in South Wales with Swansea. They often play Swansea and have been second fiddle to them in the League for many years.

I said I hate the Gas more than Cardiff, it was in my post in black and white. I was just pointing out that ON THE PITCH Rovers haven’t been our rivals for 2 decades....I’m not sure why that is causing confusion?

Nor off the pitch for 4 decades 😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I personally love @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan's unbridled hatred of all things Gas.

I just have a sort of dislike and distaste for the Blue Few - in fact I'm quite friendly with a number of their fans and even have had a few beers with one of their directors.

However, POHH's posts about them not only shows a great memory for all their hilarious naffness, hideousness and failure, but are also very funny.

More power to his elbow!

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Not in the same league as us but we might play them in the future. When we get to the PL and enter our U21s in the Pizza Trophy.

We are only 2 leagues apart if Rovers sort themselves out they will prob get promoted back to League one in the next few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I personally love @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan's unbridled hatred of all things Gas.

I just have a sort of dislike and distaste for the Blue Few - in fact I'm quite friendly with a number of their fans and even have had a few beers with one of their directors.

However, POHH's posts about them not only shows a great memory for all their hilarious naffness, hideousness and failure, but are also very funny.

More power to his elbow!

Agree Robbo. POHH's delivery is superb !

"That circus of dumbf*ckery" is one of my favourite descriptions of his, when referring to the roverzzzz  :rofl2br:

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

I still see the Gas as our main rivals 

Followed by Swindon 

Only time I ever seen Cardiff as a rival was in the Earnshaw years

This has to do with my age

I still think of the "Big" 6 in English football as

Liverpool Man Utd, Arsenal , Spurs Everton and Villa 

Villa?, how far back are you going?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...