IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

On 26/10/2021 at 14:36, Stortz said:

Do you include the Jewish people who have expressed their extreme offence at his use of the term in your list of 'sensitive revisionists'?

Do you include the Jewish people who while think it’s a bit stupid of him to use the word but are not entirely offended by? Should I be offended by people being offended?

Where does it all end?

54 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Taking 250 to Barrow, Hartlepool and Colchester...phenomenal indeed !!! Never ceases to amaze me.

Haven't you heard they have sold out their allocation of 500 for Harrogate. In fact if they had been given 1000 they would have sold out.

I still cant understand why our allocation is limited to 570 when the ground will be nowhere near full. I really dont want to go in another part of the ground- it seems crazy that it is sometimes difficult to support your team away when we consider that we are talking about second div football and playing a team who average less than half their capacity. I found the same on few occasions when we were in the Conference- I know we get good support away and you have to get in early at times not yo be disappointed but I dont think enough is being done to maximise opportunities for all those that want to go to be able to. 

Yeah right, that sounds familiar....

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/18766/harrogate-away-tickets-all-sold?page=1

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Haven't you heard they have sold out their allocation of 500 for Harrogate. In fact if they had been given 1000 they would have sold out.

I still cant understand why our allocation is limited to 570 when the ground will be nowhere near full. I really dont want to go in another part of the ground- it seems crazy that it is sometimes difficult to support your team away when we consider that we are talking about second div football and playing a team who average less than half their capacity. I found the same on few occasions when we were in the Conference- I know we get good support away and you have to get in early at times not yo be disappointed but I dont think enough is being done to maximise opportunities for all those that want to go to be able to. 

2nd division ? Thats where we are.

Someone should let him know that his team is in the 4th division.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Isn't that a bit similar to when they gave Swindon 800 tickets when the ground was never going to sell out.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

2nd division ? Thats where we are.

Someone should let him know that his team is in the 4th division.

They are hilarious....! 

They really don't seem to realise that league 2, has nothing whatsoever to do with being the 2nd division...! 

Like calling non league football, division 5...!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilC said:

Danny Baker had them weighed right ******* up...........

• Like 3

On 26/10/2021 at 17:28, BrightCiderLife said:

I’m not sure getting into the etymology is of any assistance. The word he used brings to mind a very particular atrocity which is of no comparison to a footballer not being on form. It is that comparison which is offensive (if you need me to spell it out, millions of deaths are not the same as a few misplaced passes). It is not to do with any specific religions, races or creeds, but straight forward decency.

I don’t see many on here calling for him to be sacked as a result, people are simply saying what he said was crass and he should apologise for the (unintentional, perhaps) offence he has caused.

You and others might call it woke, or cancel culture but it’s really just about thinking before you speak and not saying things that any right minded people would say are wrong and inappropriate. His and the club’s failure to apologise is by this point worse than him ranting without thinking. A quick tweet clarifying he didn’t mean it on Saturday evening would have dealt with it, now it looks like he/they think the comparison between their player’s loss of form and the systematic murder and torture of millions is a fair one. They are wrong to think so and are rightly criticised for it. 

I'd have to disagree there. The point is that the word holocaust has only very recently been appropriated solely to the Nazi concentration camps, and those of us from an older generation (I'm 65) are used to using it in a wider context. The etymology is actually from Greek (via Latin) meaning "wholly burnt" and if you'd asked me ten years ago for an example of a holocaust I would have mentioned "nuclear holocaust" (as some have) in reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki or the firebombing of Dresden - all Allied actions. The Nazi death camps have been discussed for 75 years or more, but I'm sure "The Holocaust" in reference to them is relatively recent. Language changes, but holocaust remains a valid word to use to describe a firestorm.

Now I'm not suggesting that Joey Barton had all this in his mind (or anything much at all) when speaking, but I doubt he was consciously referencing Nazi atrocities. It is possible he was familiar with the wider and more correct usage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I'd have to disagree there. The point is that the word holocaust has only very recently been appropriated solely to the Nazi concentration camps, and those of us from an older generation (I'm 65) are used to using it in a wider context. The etymology is actually from Greek (via Latin) meaning "wholly burnt" and if you'd asked me ten years ago for an example of a holocaust I would have mentioned "nuclear holocaust" (as some have) in reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki or the firebombing of Dresden - all Allied actions. The Nazi death camps have been discussed for 75 years or more, but I'm sure "The Holocaust" in reference to them is relatively recent. Language changes, but holocaust remains a valid word to use to describe a firestorm.

Now I'm not suggesting that Joey Barton had all this in his mind (or anything much at all) when speaking, but I doubt he was consciously referencing Nazi atrocities. It is possible he was familiar with the wider and more correct usage.

Can we not drop this now, please? Or if you wish to discuss it further, perhaps someone could create a thread elsewhere? This thread is for laughing at Rovers. Cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Happy Gap Day everybody. 

And a special mention to all the agents who have helped make this day possible.  ?

Think I might celebrate with a nice chilled fake Fanta this evening, accompanied by an out of date packet of crisps that I've been saving for a special occasion just like this.

Cheers everybody.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Happy Gap Day everybody. 

And a special mention to all the agents who have helped make this day possible.  ?

Think I might celebrate with a nice chilled fake Fanta this evening, accompanied by an out of date packet of crisps that I've been saving for a special occasion just like this.

Cheers everybody.

Indeed.

The agents should be commended for their service and "bravery" ?