IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, marmite said:

Good win for them with 10 men .  It might not be pretty but they would give us a tough game atm. Think they may be turning a corner although it pains me to say it. Local derby next season anyone?

Based on what? They are halfway up the bottom division.

It is an enormous gulf still.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Good win for them with 10 men .  It might not be pretty but they would give us a tough game atm. Think they may be turning a corner although it pains me to say it. Local derby next season 

I know we are shit but they take shit to a whole new level.

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Good win for them with 10 men .  It might not be pretty but they would give us a tough game atm. Think they may be turning a corner although it pains me to say it. Local derby next season anyone?

Er, they have 2 more points than us 2 leagues below. I don't think il be losing sleep just yet

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Based on what? They are halfway up the bottom division.

It is an enormous gulf still.

I posted this on other thread as well.  It’s amazing when you compare Joey Barton’s record at Rovers compared to NP’s at City.  I think they took the jobs about the same time, Barton took on much more of a basket case IMO with arguably one of their worst squads ever, and he seems to, against all odds, have started to get a tune out of them (albeit in League 2), whereas NP is way more experienced and to date has a worse record than Joey Barton, and there’s no way anyone can tell me we were in a worse state than Rovers.  I hope NP turns it around but he should have some idea by now of what to do surely, and if not will he ever?

it’s not beyond the realms that we could get relegated, especially based on form over the last few seasons.  And League 2 is so tight with so much dross, it doesn’t take an amazing side to get promoted, so that massive gulf you speak of is not as massive as you think it is

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I posted this on other thread as well.  It’s amazing when you compare Joey Barton’s record at Rovers compared to NP’s at City.  I think they took the jobs about the same time, Barton took on much more of a basket case IMO with arguably one of their worst squads ever, and he seems to, against all odds, have started to get a tune out of them (albeit in League 2), whereas NP is way more experienced and to date has a worse record than Joey Barton, and there’s no way anyone can tell me we were in a worse state than Rovers.  I hope NP turns it around but he should have some idea by now of what to do surely, and if not will he ever?

it’s not beyond the realms that we could get relegated, especially based on form over the last few seasons.  And League 2 is so tight with so much dross, it doesn’t take an amazing side to get promoted, so that massive gulf you speak of is not as massive as you think it is

Being so cheerful, keeps you going !

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Barton has been allowed to completely overhaul his squad (a squad who were outside the L1 relegation zone when he arrived) and practically bring in an entire new team. Pearson has been tasked to work within a very tight budget despite shipping out so many players in the Summer. I would argue that Pearson’s challenge is far bigger than Barton’s.
Ridiculous to compare the two, Barton should be doing far better than he is and we all knew what to expect from City this year and we knew it would be tough.

Saying “we could get relegated and they could get promoted” is just stating the obvious. Sooner or later it will happen, we’ve found ourselves in the same division as other similar sized clubs before, Yeovil and Burton for example.

• Flames 3

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Barton has been allowed to completely overhaul his squad (a squad who were outside the L1 relegation zone when he arrived) and practically bring in an entire new team. Pearson has been tasked to work within a very tight budget despite shipping out so many players in the Summer. I would argue that Pearson’s challenge is far bigger than Barton’s.
Ridiculous to compare the two, Barton should be doing far better than he is and we all knew what to expect from City this year and we knew it would be tough.

Saying “we could get relegated and they could get promoted” is just stating the obvious. Sooner or later it will happen, we’ve found ourselves in the same division as other similar sized clubs before, Yeovil and Burton for example.

The problem is Pearson doesn't seem up to the task he has in front of him and he isn't even around now

49 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

????????????

19 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

You really think Pearson’s budget, comparatively speaking, is tighter than Barton’s budget at Rovers?  Really?  All I’m stating is facts, Barton unbelievably has managed to cobble together a team with no money who has started winning, I don’t think it’s much to ask that Pearson, after 30 odd games and the end of last season to work out what needs doing, to start doing the same, especially considering his experience 

12 minutes ago, woodsyred said:

The problem is Pearson doesn't seem up to the task he has in front of him and he isn't even around now

Maybe not. If only he’d been in a position to bring in a whole new team in the Summer like Barton did….but then the financial situation for clubs like us in the Championship means that’s not really an option.

Both Skybet and Bet365 had Rovers as pre season favourites for promotion from L2 whilst both predicted we’d struggle. Tells you something.

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

You really think Pearson’s budget, comparatively speaking, is tighter than Barton’s budget at Rovers?  Really?  All I’m stating is facts, Barton unbelievably has managed to cobble together a team with no money who has started winning, I don’t think it’s much to ask that Pearson, after 30 odd games and the end of last season to work out what needs doing, to start doing the same, especially considering his experience 

Barton’s budget must be top 5 in League Two. Ours definitely is not. 

So comparatively speaking, yes I do believe Pearson’s budget is tighter.

Not that I really care. We wont go down and they won’t go up. Barton to go on a winning run and then get sent down, it’s what they do.

They’ve been the gift my whole life and that won’t change now.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

3 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Barton’s budget must be top 5 in League Two. Ours definitely is not. 

So comparatively speaking, yes I do believe Pearson’s budget is tighter.

So by that rational LJ must have been a genius of a manager to do what he did, don’t you agree?

I think budget is irrelevant, Nige has had 30 odd games and we are no better than when he took over, in my view that’s enough time to show some shoots of recovery, especially for a guy of his experience

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

You really think Pearson’s budget, comparatively speaking, is tighter than Barton’s budget at Rovers?   

I think that quality Championship players demand much higher wages and that under the current financial climate we have to cut our cloth accordingly.

We’re competing against teams with Premier League parachute payments. In reality, whilst we laugh at their tinpot new tents, they are probably quite well off compared to many other teams in L2. 
So the answer to your question is ‘yes’.

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

So by that rational LJ must have been a genius of a manager to do what he did, don’t you agree?

I think budget is irrelevant, Nige has had 30 odd games and we are no better than when he took over, in my view that’s enough time to show some shoots of recovery, especially for a guy of his experience

We routinely did spend spend higher than our league position when LJ was in charge. So no, he wasn’t a genius.

We spent 60m in 3 years under LJ. Nige has spent.. 2(?) if that.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think that quality Championship players demand much higher wages and that under the current financial climate we have to cut our cloth accordingly.

We’re competing against teams with Premier League parachute payments. In reality, whilst we laugh at their tinpot new tents, they are probably quite well off compared to many other teams in L2. 
So the answer to your question is ‘yes’.

Blackpool, Luton, Millwall to name 3 seem to be coping ok with similar restrictions, all I’m hearing is excuses, I’m not asking for promotion this season, I’m asking for improvement after 30 odd games of being manager, that’s not too much to ask.

• Like 1