IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

During my lifetime you have always been the better supported club. However, football was right in the doldrums in the mid 80s and attendances were pretty shite for every club in comparison to today . I just checked and City's previous home game against Swansea was watched by 6013. Yes our attendance was shit, but it was a lot closer to City attendances then than it is now!

Closer maybe, still less than us, standard. For the final ever game at that so say ‘glorious home’ that all gasheads adored and that’s all you could muster? Pitiful, much like your entire history really.

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

At least he had plenty of room to be 'proud'. It's a pity that the rest of their blue hordes couldn't be bothered to actually turn up! 'Premier league fans' my arse, they're not even close to Championship fans, less than 8,000 home supporters against the best team in the league? 

Deluded as usual and getting even better at self congratulation.

At least they’ve finally learned how to spell ‘prowed’....

9 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I'd have a fair bit more respect for them if thy referred to themselves as the pirates rather than a foul smelling invisible mass of particles.

9 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Or “The Squatters” which is what they have been for the majority of their life as a football league club. 

Or “The Vultures” - they were sniffing around Ashton Gate when we were in trouble in ‘82, trying to steal our home....and then when Holloway was gas manager and Pompey were in dire financial straits, The Vultures were right there, sniffing around again trying to get players on the cheap....and they soon had their feet under the table at The Memorial...to the detriment of the rugby club....and one of the deluded idiots even said to me recently that he was “livid that Bristol Sport had stolen Bristol Rugby Club” - stolen them?! From who?! Given them the opportunity to play in a decent stadium more like...

Talking of stealing, I quite like the fact they stole our insulting name for them and have managed to make it their nickname....because when people around the country ask me why they are called the gas and I tell them the whole story, they think it’s hilarious and the word ‘tinpot’ has been widely used by those widespread folks to describe them for stealing an insult....yet the gas think everyone around the world loves them and hates us?! It’s soooooo hilarious! They just don’t get it!

PS....and don’t forget the t-shirts they were selling: “It’s saturday, it’s five to three, I smell gas...” - you can’t make up comedy quite like that!!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Swede said:

I could name;

Lines [because he went off and bettered himself at the likes of Port Vale]

Harrison [because he's a City fan]

The tramp [only because his picture appears on here quite a lot]

oh and Colin Daniel who wore their kit once!

Yes, the most famous goal ever scored in a Rovers shirt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Whilst having a gander on Slagchat came across a thread about our season ticket prices, most of it loads of shite being spoken until I came to a post taking the piss out of a marquee outside of the RobinsBS3 by stating it was our promotion party, anyone care to correct the pikey and tell him it was their main stand?

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yes, the most famous goal ever scored in a Rovers shirt. 

Photos of him were instantly splashed all over the media celebrating his goal. Many Gasheads thought he was one of theirs and had saved them from relegation.

Some are still confused today...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Piss off! I don't want some filthy methane snorting piece of crap sitting in my seat! 

They would just stand there, bewildered by this red thing that hinges up and down and have no idea what to do with it. To be fair, it's probably better than the box they sit on at home! As for what they would make of the concourses?? :nono:

Very true, there's no converted garden shed selling stale crisps in our concourses.

13 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Now you write the names yes I recognise them, but if you put me on the spot and asked me in a pub I think I would have named Reid, Flint and Fielding. Ask me a City side from the 70s and I would probably get the lot!

That sort of thing happens a lot as you get older mate. I can rattle of stuff about games in the 60s and 70s but can’t remember where I parked the car....

:sub:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Lee who? Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the biggest legend EVER to wear a Rovers shirt......

7AD3DECA-9496-490C-BB75-540D71F5C8DC.jpeg

Someone mentioned to me the other day that Mansfield would have forfeited the match if Rovers hadn't found kit for them. 

Wonder if that's true. 

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Someone mentioned to me the other day that Mansfield would have forfeited the match if Rovers hadn't found kit for them. 

Wonder if that's true. 

No a cat in hells chance, imagine the uproar another club being relegated because another team at another game conceding the match to a relegation rival, also imagine Mansfield would of been in deep trouble with the FA, I believe there are strict rules regarding timing etc of the last match of the season!  

• Like 1

One thing Rovers used to have at Eastville, that we’ve never had, is flower beds behind the goals. I often think, when I go to City’s modern stadium, that the one thing missing is flower beds. I think SL missed a golden opportunity, regarding flowers, when the ground was redeveloped. We could have had John Otway instead of the Wurzels and a new song - “Beware of the flowers cos I’m sure they’re gonna get you, yeah”

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Wonder if that's true. 

I’d love it to be true.

After the arrogance displayed by their fans the week before the Mansfield game when they assumed they were safe, it would be nice to think that the club itself would have voluntarily handed Mansfield the nails to hammer into their own coffin thinking it would never actually happen.

Like redcityman though, I’d say there’s absolutely no chance of it being true unfortunately.

19 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This CJ Computers with a webpage a child would be embarrassed by?

http://www.cjcomputing.com

And as for the use of capital letters... 

That site is either a wind-up or an after-school club’s project surely? If the latter then I’d hope the English department would hve something to say about the random capitalisation and especially:

CJ Computing is one of Bristol’s Premier Independent Computer Retailer since 1988’

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’d love it to be true.

After the arrogance displayed by their fans the week before the Mansfield game when they assumed they were safe, it would be nice to think that the club itself would have voluntarily handed Mansfield the nails to hammer into their own coffin thinking it would never actually happen.

Like redcityman though, I’d say there’s absolutely no chance of it being true unfortunately.

Maybe, but I understand the rule is if you don't turn up ready to play then you do indeed forfeit the game. So maybe it's a question if whether the rule would be enforced. 

32 minutes ago, harrys said:

I remember Everton & Leeds having large half-moon shaped gaps behind their nets for no apparent reason, Chelsea as well but I think that was to accommodate the dog racing, any other grounds?

The half moon gaps were a result of the holiganism of the era. The logic was it kept supporters slightly farther away from the goal, and thus made it more difficult for them to throw things at the goalkeeper 

5 hours ago, redcityman said:

No a cat in hells chance, imagine the uproar another club being relegated because another team at another game conceding the match to a relegation rival, also imagine Mansfield would of been in deep trouble with the FA, I believe there are strict rules regarding timing etc of the last match of the season!  

I wonder why that is... :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another classic from the forum. What is FTG?

Our fans are always fantastic. We are the envy of a lot of clubs, especially with our away following.

Really proud to be a Gashead. There is only ever one sensible choice when you are from Bristol. FTG.

Edited by Super

50 minutes ago, Super said:

Another classic from the forum. What is FTG?

Our fans are always fantastic. We are the envy of a lot of clubs, especially with our away following.

Really proud to be a Gashead. There is only ever one sensible choice when you are from Bristol. FTG.

8E5CFC0A-8357-4784-9961-D299C614F3E3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8