IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Steve Hamer is being wheeled out to take the flak on Geoff's show on Radio Bristol at 6pm tonight.

I wonder if they will allow callers?

I enjoyed his rambling Count Arthur Strong type delivery last time, particularly his "Well, you know..." response to a question as to whether the youth teams had to buy their own kit (the eventual answer being: Yes because they enjoy doing so, or similar) so will give it a try as there is limited radio comedy about these days.

Jumpers for goalposts.

Ron-Manager-isn_t-it.jpg

• Haha 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's also my take on it.

I recall John Hall lecturing us in the early 90s on how the Bristol clubs should merge and so would then emulate the success of Newcastle as the only club in the city.

Well Newcastle is hardly lighting up the league these days but Liverpool with the constant pressure from Everton continues to thrive as do the Manchester clubs.

I think two club cities produce stronger footballing teams and that historically (though I'm not flogging through the stats) we have alway done better with Rovers snapping at our heels.

Rovers have been hilarious these last few years but as a result have put zero pressure on us so we're now content to float around mid table Championship which we wouldn't be content doing if Rovers were top of L1 or in the Championship with us and occasionally being higher than us.  As it is we have zero competition because I'm not counting the faux rivalry with Cardiff or Swindon. 

The way football is going, its struggling to support the 92 clubs spread around the country, if they were to fold and disappear, the longer term move would be for those that wanted to attend live football would go to the one club.  If we managed to reach the Prem and get established (I know, a bit pie in the sky, but one day....?) then surely any rivalry would be with the nearest Prem club (Cardiff?) and the smaller clubs would be forgotten.  I don't see Man U seeing Bury or Stockport as rivals, Liverpool and Tranmere, Arsenal and Leyton Orient?

Rational or not, I would very much enjoy seeing them go bust, karma after the way many of them behaved in 82!!!!

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's also my take on it.

I recall John Hall lecturing us in the early 90s on how the Bristol clubs should merge and so would then emulate the success of Newcastle as the only club in the city.

Well Newcastle is hardly lighting up the league these days but Liverpool with the constant pressure from Everton continues to thrive as do the Manchester clubs.

I think two club cities produce stronger footballing teams and that historically (though I'm not flogging through the stats) we have alway done better with Rovers snapping at our heels.

Rovers have been hilarious these last few years but as a result have put zero pressure on us so we're now content to float around mid table Championship which we wouldn't be content doing if Rovers were top of L1 or in the Championship with us and occasionally being higher than us.  As it is we have zero competition because I'm not counting the faux rivalry with Cardiff or Swindon. 

I beg to differ, Eddie.

I don't see much evidence of both clubs thriving in two-club cities. Yes, of course Liverpool and Manchester are exceptions to that but in Sheffield, Stoke, Nottingham and of course, Bristol there only few examples whereby the strength of one club actually galvanises their rival. In contrast, I think that there is only one club in each of the entire counties of Leicestershire, Norfolk and Suffolk yet they have been able, over time to gain promotion to the top division (in the case of Leicester even winning it) won cups and competed in European competitions.

God forbid but were SL to suffer a tragic accident such as that which afflicted the Leicester owner, we all know that in parts of north and east Bristol celebration parties would be held. Such nonsense happens in cities where support is polarised.

I happen to think that in Bristol, the progress of both clubs is impeded by the presence of the other. Rovers fans can tolerate losing provided we've lost too; we laugh long and hard at all of their very many plights and somehow that takes away some of the pain and frustration we feel from our own teams (lack of) performance. They want, not just a new ground, but one which has a capacity of +1 more than ours. It's the brinkmanship which helps neither club and holds them back. 

It's the survival of the fittest as far as I'm concerned. Bristol will never support two successful football teams; there is barely room for one. If they die, we thrive eventually because that wouldn't necessarily happen immediately; it may take a generation but it's the best way forward. So I want them gone.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The way football is going, its struggling to support the 92 clubs spread around the country, if they were to fold and disappear, the longer term move would be for those that wanted to attend live football would go to the one club.  If we managed to reach the Prem and get established (I know, a bit pie in the sky, but one day....?) then surely any rivalry would be with the nearest Prem club (Cardiff?) and the smaller clubs would be forgotten.  I don't see Man U seeing Bury or Stockport as rivals, Liverpool and Tranmere, Arsenal and Leyton Orient?

Rational or not, I would very much enjoy seeing them go bust, karma after the way many of them behaved in 82!!!!

Maybe I'm just getting old (older...) and rose tinted; I wasn't old enough to experience the Rovers' fans shenanigans in '82 and have only read about them on here.  I also wonder how representative they are of their wider fanbase; both clubs have a range of fans with the more vocal posting on forums and the most vocal, usually those with the extreme views, being the most noticeable.  Somebody on here posting "I hate gas scum!" is going to be more noticeable than my posting about gasheads who I have known and liked in real life.  Who are, as middle class professionals, probably not going to be representative either.

Most posters on Gaschat seem to regard Henbury Gas as a bit of a berk tbh.

Anyway, as @Stortz poimted out: the gas have just been knocked out of the first round of the cup by a non-league side!  That is funny.  Memories of Hitchin. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's because historically, they have all been massive, successful clubs in their own right for the vast majority of time. You can not compare these clubs to the footballing backwater of Bristol that over 100 years are rarely in the same division.

Other than 1990, show me where we have achieved anything due to rovers being in the same division or "snapping at our heels"?

I'm sorry......absolute bunkum! Bristol Rovers Football Club have absolutely no bearing on where we are, how well we do or what we achieve. We are miles ahead of them in stature, players, stadium, facilities, training ground, academy, finances, exposure, support, fan base.......everything. Our ambitions, performance and success, or lack of it, is purely down to what we do and would not change if the sags disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I beg to differ, Eddie.

I don't see much evidence of both clubs thriving in two-club cities. Yes, of course Liverpool and Manchester are exceptions to that but in Sheffield, Stoke, Nottingham and of course, Bristol there only few examples whereby the strength of one club actually galvanises their rival. In contrast, I think that there is only one club in each of the entire counties of Leicestershire, Norfolk and Suffolk yet they have been able, over time to gain promotion to the top division (in the case of Leicester even winning it) won cups and competed in European competitions.

God forbid but were SL to suffer a tragic accident such as that which afflicted the Leicester owner, we all know that in parts of north and east Bristol celebration parties would be held. Such nonsense happens in cities where support is polarised.

I happen to think that in Bristol, the progress of both clubs is impeded by the presence of the other. Rovers fans can tolerate losing provided we've lost too; we laugh long and hard at all of their very many plights and somehow that takes away some of the pain and frustration we feel from our own teams (lack of) performance. They want, not just a new ground, but one which has a capacity of +1 more than ours. It's the brinkmanship which helps neither club and holds them back. 

It's the survival of the fittest as far as I'm concerned. Bristol will never support two successful football teams; there is barely room for one. If they die, we thrive eventually because that wouldn't necessarily happen immediately; it may take a generation but it's the best way forward. So I want them gone.

You may be right; these aren't simple questions.  Although I'm glad nobody is trotting out the old ones about Downs League on Saturdays and "rugby city" as a get out of jail free card for the lack of success.

Maybe we would be more successful as a one club city - though would you merge to achieve that?

(I'm presuming the answer would be "no", as it would from pretty much everybody including myself)

• Admin
1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maybe I'm just getting old (older...) and rose tinted; I wasn't old enough to experience the Rovers' fans shenanigans in '82 and have only read about them on here.  I also wonder how representative they are of their wider fanbase; both clubs have a range of fans with the more vocal posting on forums and the most vocal, usually those with the extreme views, being the most noticeable.  Somebody on here posting "I hate gas scum!" is going to be more noticeable than my posting about gasheads who I have known and liked in real life.  Who are, as middle class professionals, probably not going to be representative either.

Most posters on Gaschat seem to regard Henbury Gas as a bit of a berk tbh.

Anyway, as @Stortz poimted out: the gas have just been knocked out of the first round of the cup by a non-league side!  That is funny.  Memories of Hitchin. 

There was talk in the pubs, clubs and workplace, the Evening Post and the Green 'Un and the local news, no forums, no email, no social media, a very different world, yet it didn't stop there being lots of vitriol and glee at our imminent demise.  If you didn't experience it, its hard to describe, the pubs were still busy back then, Thursdays were payday, there were collections, people who had never invested in anything other than William Hill and Courages were buying into schemes to save the club and it was an emotional time.

The fact that other clubs offered hands of friendship at that time and the sags were ready to dance on our grave, is more than enough for me to never want to see them prosper. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Back to the important issues. 

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/13312/player-ratings-bristol-rovers-barnet 

This is a good read - the prowed and loyal gasheads are rating the majority of their players as significantly better on the night than the entire Barnet squad. Didn't catch the score, but assume from the 7s and 8s in the player ratings the Gas have set up a big 2nd round match after thumping the non-leaguers. 

3 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I'm sorry......absolute bunkum! Bristol Rovers Football Club have absolutely no bearing on where we are, how well we do or what we achieve. We are miles ahead of them in stature, players, stadium, facilities, training ground, academy, finances, exposure, support, fan base.......everything. Our ambitions, performance and success, or lack of it, is purely down to what we do and would not change if the sags disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow  

:D

"I suppose I was just stating my view.."

I'll give you that now they are a bit of an irrelevance, I'm taking the long view that may be they will be a footballing force again.  I admit that it's looking unlikely at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You may be right; these aren't simple questions.  Although I'm glad nobody is trotting out the old ones about Downs League on Saturdays and "rugby city" as a get out of jail free card for the lack of success.

Maybe we would be more successful as a one club city - though would you merge to achieve that?

(I'm presuming the answer would be "no", as it would from pretty much everybody including myself)

It's a 'NO' from me.

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

It looks from my paper that Salford got the same crowd as the NL ers last night.

What next Saltford becoming our nearest rivals from just down the A4? This guy has had enough

Sag.jpeg

I'm not surprised he's had enough . You can't even lie down for five minutes before someone steals your head but leaves your hat . 

Britain's gone to the dogs I tell you .

Be careful down the pub if someone offers you bloke's head cheaply.

13 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'll give you that now they are a bit of an irrelevance, I'm taking the long view that may be they will be a footballing force again.  I admit that it's looking unlikely at the moment.

??????

Edited by Bar BS3

18 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Quite right to share your view......albeit a bit skewed! :thumbsup:

However, please dig out your dictionary to check on the meaning of the highlighted word above.......clearly not used correctly in your statement

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I beg to differ, Eddie.

Strange argument you debunked Sheffield Nottingham and Stoke whilst bigging up Norfolk and Suffolk. All those places currently have clubs in the Championship and have played in the Premier League Won cups and played in Europe. I can’t see the difference between your two points

21 minutes ago, bert tann said:

It strikes me that criticism of Rovers' owners is being stifled because some influential Gasheads have developed a homoerotic attraction to Wael Al-Qadi.

I shall ask my friend Clement Freud to investigate when he stops selling dog food.

he has a job in Santa's grotto at the mem now..............."have you been a good little boy" :shocking:

cf.JPG

On 18/10/2018 at 21:26, GasDestroyer said:

Marvin Rees flies the world on “expenses”, as the Mayor of Bristol. Totally corrupt!

Just ask for a “Freedom Of Information” request on him to Bristol City Council. You will be amazed where he has been on “holiday”. Caribbean on several occasions, the sleeze ball.

Not like the Metro Mayor Tim Bowles is any good either...

What's he done in his year and a half? Very little from what I can see. Ineffectual at best- both of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

There was talk in the pubs, clubs and workplace, the Evening Post and the Green 'Un and the local news, no forums, no email, no social media, a very different world, yet it didn't stop there being lots of vitriol and glee at our imminent demise.  If you didn't experience it, its hard to describe, the pubs were still busy back then, Thursdays were payday, there were collections, people who had never invested in anything other than William Hill and Courages were buying into schemes to save the club and it was an emotional time.

The fact that other clubs offered hands of friendship at that time and the sags were ready to dance on our grave, is more than enough for me to never want to see them prosper. 

Spot on , their absolute parasites, always have been always will be , not sure I want them to go bust , but a long stay in the conference south would be nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Fingers crossed Farmygas

This lot are sleepwalking us back to the conference and people that slated Higgs but defend the AQs are badly misguided. From where I'm standing nothing's changed apart from that god awful corner tent on the terrace and a lick of paint in the bar. Biggest false dawn in the club's history.

They ain't "sleepwalking" they are charging like lemmings over the precipice , ******* good job too !:clap:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Strange argument you debunked Sheffield Nottingham and Stoke whilst bigging up Norfolk and Suffolk. All those places currently have clubs in the Championship and have played in the Premier League Won cups and played in Europe. I can’t see the difference between your two points

My point is that in Stoke, Sheffield and Nottingham one of the team's in each city has enjoyed success without being galvanised by their rival. Leicester, Norwich and Ipswich have all enjoyed a modicum of success despite having no rival for many miles. Therefore the argument that City would benefit from a stronger Rovers is false. There is no evidence at all in favour of that argument 

We'll be better off with no local rival imo.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Of course we know they are of no relevance and are miles behind, BUT I think you are missing one point. The fan base, we are potentially (though of course not in reality) missing out on 50% of Bristol's population. Get rid ASAP !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1

20man putting them to the sword.

After being asked how to turn their fortunes around Hamer replies with "well.. it's simple."

Hamer confirms the football club is not being sold & all rumours are fake. Or he knows "nothing" about them if true. He "would be the first to know" and it "categorically" isn't happening.

Edited by Unan
  • Haha 2