IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Good write up, fair as (almost) always. I see they are 5/2 to go up. I shall put some of my ill gotten Cheltenham dosh on that. But don't think for a moment that I want to pick up.......well, you know the score ! ?

BTW, how long did you have to wait in casualty after you dissed Joey bag ?

I was very diplomatic! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, northsomersetred said:

Can't say i have, but i followed Elgin City in the Highland League for 3 seasons in the early 90's?

Fair play - but harsh to dismiss the standard of a division as ‘Downs football at best’ when you haven’t watched any games involving any teams from that division ... I’ve been watching top tier games in Scotland since the 1980s and it certainly is not as bad as you and @Robbored make out 

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play - but harsh to dismiss the standard of a division as ‘Downs football at best’ when you haven’t watched any games involving any teams from that division ... I’ve been watching top tier games in Scotland since the 1980s and it certainly is not as bad as you and @Robbored make out 

Actually i have watched, quite a few tbh, Ibrox in the flesh. it was a long time ago. When i was living in Scotland in the early 90's used to do quite a few Rangers evening games.

It was just a joke statement re the standard of their football, I honestly think their prem is L1-2 standard, the top teams would really, really struggle in the Championship and wouldn't last a season.

And those seasons following Elgin were the best away days i've had, some of the scenery at the games and travelling to them was something else.

And it was when Inverness had 2 teams, before they merged, Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle FC, to go into the Scottish league

Edited by northsomersetred

2 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Actually i have watched, quite a few tbh, Ibrox in the flesh. it was a long time ago. When i was living in Scotland in the early 90's used to do quite a few Rangers evening games.

It was just a joke statement re the standard of their football, I honestly think their prem is L1-2 standard, the top teams would really, really struggle in the Championship and wouldn't last a season.

And those seasons following Elgin were the best away days i've had, some of the scenery at the games and travelling to them was something else.

And it was when Inverness had 2 teams, before they merged, Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle FC, to go into the Scottish league

I followed Partick Thistle home and away throughout the 80s and 90s - superb memories and great people! I’m still in contact most of them now. I used to drive up on a Friday lunchtime, dump my car and get into The Abbotsford Inn in Bearsden where I’d meet the boys and then chaos, and laughing until you choked, ensued for 48 hours.

When EasyJet started flying from Bristol to Glasgow, it got to the point where the Partick manager would pick me up from Glasgow Airport when he knew I was coming up - what a club! The Scots know they are a relatively small country in the world of football, but wow, they certainly know how to get behind their teams. The passion of the Partick Thistle fans is unbelievable - especially away from home. 

Following Elgin sounds like it was a great time for you too, cheers ?

• Like 7

I’ve been to watch Inverness a couple of times - the scenery around the area is incredible 

• Like 1

I thought Inverness had three teams that merged in the early 1990s to gain Scottish league status? Wasn’t it Caledonian FC, Inverness Thistle and Clachnacuddin FC that became one?

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought Inverness had three teams that merged in the early 1990s to gain Scottish league status? Wasn’t it Caledonian FC, Inverness Thistle and Clachnacuddin FC that became one?

Well there is a Clachnacuddin sitting in 10th in the Highland League, I doubt there were two of them. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Clachnacuddin are still around in the highland league.. I've seen quite a few highland league grounds on my travels but never actually got to a game in it. Definitely something I need to do.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I’ve been to watch Inverness a couple of times - the scenery around the area is incredible 

Yup, loads to be recommended around there. Culloden, Nessie and, as you say, stunning scenery.

I've occasionally seen someone in the Dolman who wears a Callie wooly hat. Possibly considered summer-wear in Inverness.

7 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Yup, loads to be recommended around there. Culloden, Nessie and, as you say, stunning scenery.

I've occasionally seen someone in the Dolman who wears a Callie wooly hat. Possibly considered summer-wear in Inverness.

That will be a friend of mine - we used to pop up there when a friend from school, Gary Warren, was playing for them 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Following Elgin sounds like it was a great time for you too, cheers ?

It was a great time tbh, i was working in the offshore oil and gas industry.

92-3 season was the season they won the league but were later stripped of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Highland_Football_League

I sort of got quite well known, they used to call me the 'south mouth' or 'sooth mooth' as they used to pronounce it?

• Like 1