IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think this is quite relevant. The catalyst for their improvement appears to have been Elliott Anderson from Newcastle. There is no way he’s going on loan to L1 next year, and if they do it’s more likely to be one of the big boys at that level such as a Weds or (yes) Ipswich.

The loanee from Stoke (Connor Taylor) has been again getting great reviews. Can easily see Stoke trying to ease him into their squad next year.

I also think they’ve got at least one more. But replacing two key players is not going to be easy.

I think calling him the catalyst is a bit much, given Rovers were in the top 3 in the form table from the end of October to when he signed on deadline day in January. I doubt he'd go back on loan to Rovers next season anyway, but it seems they have first refusal on a loan in League One next season as a clause in the deal; but given there's been interest from Millwall I doubt it. 

Taylor's interesting, feel like Stoke might want another season to wait for Jagielka to ease out, who's a regular at the minute, I wouldn't necessarily downplay clubs focusing on development by seeing how they perform at the next level and by keeping them in a stable environment, know some Rovers mates who've spoken to his dad who goes to all the games, and says he's enjoying his time there, as hard as I find  that to believe given it's Rovers, you never know. Especially as the place has a good atmosphere at the moment, they've been on frankly unbelievable form for the league since the end of October (think they're 1st in that form table) and wouldn't be surprised if Stoke went "loan him till January to see if the momentum continues."

Connolly's interesting, my mate Mark told me Barton was apparently interested in him before he joined Rovers, and his contract's up in the summer. Could join Rovers.

All seems more indicative of having a manager who, whatever you think of his scummy activities, is a notable player with connections; even if they lose these 3 I wouldn't expect them to suffer extremely, given momentum and the fact some of their permanent signings e.g. Evans, Finley have caused quite a stir too.

Of course if they don't go up you never know, I think the biggest person they'd probably want to keep is Barton though, I feel like without Barton Anderson doesn't happen.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Haven’t they got those two young centre backs on loan though? From Cardiff and Stoke? So they aren’t their own players anyway? I could be wrong ...

Connolly's contract up in the summer, will be interesting if Cardiff go for a new deal or if Barton can persuade him to join

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

I think calling him the catalyst is a bit much, given Rovers were in the top 3 in the form table from the end of October to when he signed on deadline day in January. I doubt he'd go back on loan to Rovers next season anyway, but it seems they have first refusal on a loan in League One next season as a clause in the deal; but given there's been interest from Millwall I doubt it. 

Taylor's interesting, feel like Stoke might want another season to wait for Jagielka to ease out, who's a regular at the minute, I wouldn't necessarily downplay clubs focusing on development by seeing how they perform at the next level and by keeping them in a stable environment, know some Rovers mates who've spoken to his dad who goes to all the games, and says he's enjoying his time there, as hard as I find  that to believe given it's Rovers, you never know. Especially as the place has a good atmosphere at the moment, they've been on frankly unbelievable form for the league since the end of October (think they're 1st in that form table) and wouldn't be surprised if Stoke went "loan him till January to see if the momentum continues."

Connolly's interesting, my mate Mark told me Barton was apparently interested in him before he joined Rovers, and his contract's up in the summer. Could join Rovers.

All seems more indicative of having a manager who, whatever you think of his scummy activities, is a notable player with connections; even if they lose these 3 I wouldn't expect them to suffer extremely, given momentum and the fact some of their permanent signings e.g. Evans, Finley have caused quite a stir too.

Of course if they don't go up you never know, I think the biggest person they'd probably want to keep is Barton though, I feel like without Barton Anderson doesn't happen.

Very good post mate 

No doubt about Barton is doing an excellent job. They’re are very well placed just two points off automatic. The win at Port Vale was just what they needed and another win against already promoted FGR on Saturday would be perfect for them.

I hope they get promoted. It’ll be better for the Bristol rivalry if the two clubs were just one league apart.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt about Barton is doing an excellent job. They’re are very well placed just two points off automatic. The win at Port Vale was just what they needed and another win against already promoted FGR on Saturday would be perfect for them.

I hope they get promoted. It’ll be better for the Bristol rivalry if the two clubs were just one league apart.

Would it ? I think it would be better for Bristol rivalry if the two clubs were 4 leagues apart ? certainly don't hope they get promoted although I think they probably will. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Would it ? I think it would be better for Bristol rivalry if the two clubs were 4 leagues apart ? certainly don't hope they get promoted although I think they probably will. 

I don’t ’do’ all this ‘we hate the gas’ crap any longer. I used to join in when we were in the same division in the days of Carl Sanders, Devon White, Holloway, Yates, Parkin and even Twentyman and the local derbies were a fantastic both home and away, better atmosphere than the Severnside derbies. 

It’s very probable that they’ll get promoted and fair play to them. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think this is quite relevant. The catalyst for their improvement appears to have been Elliott Anderson from Newcastle. There is no way he’s going on loan to L1 next year, and if they do it’s more likely to be one of the big boys at that level such as a Weds or (yes) Ipswich.

The loanee from Stoke (Connor Taylor) has been again getting great reviews. Can easily see Stoke trying to ease him into their squad next year.

I also think they’ve got at least one more. But replacing two key players is not going to be easy.

I would say he was far from being the catalyst, just an exceptionally good addition to a team that were already on fire - in fact there didn't seem to be much to see about him in his first few games.

Rovers are a really, really good side to watch at the moment, any neutral who likes to see attacking football, played at pace and on the deck would be impressed. The elephant in the room is the loan players and those whose contracts are up. Taylor and Elliott Anderson have been outstanding, we have zero chance of Anderson being here next season and only a very slim chance of hanging onto Taylor for another year although I suppose there is a chance we could sign Connolly . I will be surprised if Evans, Collins and possibly Nicholson are still with us next season. That rips a huge whole in the team. Our only real signing has been Ryan Loft, who admittedly got an early injury in his Rovers career, but when he has played has looked way off the pace, to the extent that there was a 'jokey' chant about celebrating if he scored when he came on yesterday- which of course he did! To be fair to him, he did take it well and maybe it will be a catalyst for better things from him.

So while I am really enjoying football at the moment, I wouldn't fret too much. If we do go up, I think we will hit some serious problems, and I can't see Barton hanging around risking a second relegation on his CV.

My own prediction is that we will fail against Northampton in the play offs after Barton slagging them off after our recent win there. I think they will be more than up for playing us, whereas others will see us as the team to avoid.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don’t ’do’ all this ‘we hate the gas’ crap any longer. I used to join in when we were in the same division in the days of Carl Sanders, Devon White, Holloway, Yates, Parkin and even Twentyman and the local derbies were a fantastic both home and away, better atmosphere than the Severnside derbies. 

Weird, just weird.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

14 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would say he was far from being the catalyst, just an exceptionally good addition to a team that were already on fire - in fact there didn't seem to be much to see about him in his first few games.

Rovers are a really, really good side to watch at the moment, any neutral who likes to see attacking football, played at pace and on the deck would be impressed. The elephant in the room is the loan players and those whose contracts are up. Taylor and Elliott Anderson have been outstanding, we have zero chance of Anderson being here next season and only a very slim chance of hanging onto Taylor for another year although I suppose there is a chance we could sign Connolly . I will be surprised if Evans, Collins and possibly Nicholson are still with us next season. That rips a huge whole in the team. Our only real signing has been Ryan Loft, who admittedly got an early injury in his Rovers career, but when he has played has looked way off the pace, to the extent that there was a 'jokey' chant about celebrating if he scored when he came on yesterday- which of course he did! To be fair to him, he did take it well and maybe it will be a catalyst for better things from him.

So while I am really enjoying football at the moment, I wouldn't fret too much. If we do go up, I think we will hit some serious problems, and I can't see Barton hanging around risking a second relegation on his CV.

My own prediction is that we will fail against Northampton in the play offs after Barton slagging them off after our recent win there. I think they will be more than up for playing us, whereas others will see us as the team to avoid.

Yeah,whatever.     ?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I've still got the scars, horrible club with horrible fans. **** um ? 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Wouldn't it be better for them to reach the playoffs, then lose in the most ghastly way, then for JB to get banged up and they drop into the National league?

• Like 17
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Why? 

Laughable view.

It is far better for Bristol football if they just die.

By the way, as their fans now crawl out of the woodwork (barely 6000 at times this season) to support their role model manager as they beat the likes of Barrow, Harrogate & Stevenage it is noticeable how much greater the local media celebrate this “success” as opposed to the one of 8 straight Championship seasons.

The definition of false equivalence.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Laughable view.

It is far better for Bristol football if they just die.

By the way, as their fans now crawl out of the woodwork (barely 6000 at times this season) to support their role model manager as they beat the likes of Barrow, Harrogate & Stevenage it is noticeable how much greater the local media celebrate this “success” as opposed to the one of 8 straight Championship seasons.

The definition of false equivalence.

They were one division below us last season and Robbored was moaning about people even commenting on this thread FFS, genuinely interested to hear how one division now makes a difference?

Think the actual likelihood is that all he really wants to do is inject his cringey best wishes to husband of the year and tent FC into this thread, presumably for a reaction but also to impress his mates who will expect him to skivvy for them again if they get to Wembley.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No problem chief - they’ve got quite a few players on loan haven’t they? So their ‘promotion heroes’ would soon bugger off back to better clubs if they go up, leaving them sparse, exposed and as vulnerable as ever ... shame ????

Indeed,,,,without the excellent loanee Elliot Anderson I don't believe they'd be knocking on the promotion door at all.

They won't look so perky in league one without him - I can't help thinking what fun it would be were he to join us on loan next season!

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

There was a time when I was a youngster that we would watch City one week and Rovers the next.  I'm sure a fair few on here did the same. Always a City fan though.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

It would be better if they were back in the Conference. At least they went quiet for a while and crawled under their stones instead of singing the blues every five minutes.

They would have loved it had we got relegated this season so how anyone can have a love-in with them is beyond me.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

It would be better if they were back in the Conference. At least they went quiet for a while and crawled under their stones instead of singing the blues every five minutes.

They would have loved it had we got relegated this season so how anyone can have a love-in with them is beyond me.

I definitely don't have a "love in" with them, but they do amuse..... as did Donald Trump. Get Promoted from L2? I don't care. Get relegated from L2? I don't care. They make me smile, they are occasionally ball achingly nauseating but as long as they keep their distance...I'm happy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I definitely don't have a "love in" with them, but they do amuse..... as did Donald Trump. Get Promoted from L2? I don't care. Get relegated from L2? I don't care. They make me smile, they are occasionally ball achingly nauseating but as long as they keep their distance...I'm happy

If they do go up at least Derby will have a massive club to visit and enjoy a cup final atmosphere 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

There was a time when I was a youngster that we would watch City one week and Rovers the next.  I'm sure a fair few on here did the same. Always a City fan though.

Was quite common before the 70s. My dad did the same, though he was so City he once turned down a company car because it was blue!

Even the great Adge Cutler sang "If the City don't win Saturday, p'raps the Rovers will" *.

I think the scheming Gas antics in '82 and other general unpleasantness has permanently poisoned matters for genuine supporters.   I can't imagine any real City fan wanting to watch those fleabags nowadays. 

* Virue Et Industrial (1967)

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

If they do go up at least Derby will have a massive club to visit and enjoy a cup final atmosphere 

Predicting it now - If the gas go up there will be some post on sagchat next year following one of their two matches against (WR?)DC - It will go along the lines of

"chatting to a rams fan in the pub,  he  told me that we brought more fans/made more noise than BCFC" 

i.e. He a cornered an unsuspecting derby fan, who had dropped his guard for a fatal few minutes - The Derby fan when trapped and harassed basically said anything that he thought the dribbling saghead wanted to hear to get away quickly!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cityal said:

Predicting it now - If the gas go up there will be some post on sagchat next year following one of their two matches against (WR?)DC - It will go along the lines of

"chatting to a rams fan in the pub,  he  told me that we brought more fans/made more noise than BCFC" 

i.e. He a cornered an unsuspecting derby fan, who had dropped his guard for a fatal few minutes - The Derby fan when trapped and harassed basically said anything that he thought the dribbling saghead wanted to hear to get away quickly!

They’re so needy 

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

I've still got the scars, horrible club with horrible fans. **** um ? 

I feel sorry for you having such hate for them. All hate does is effect you and not effect the object of your hate one iota so why bother?
To me the gas mean nothing, nothing at all but as the other Bristol club I hope they do well and if they get promoted then well done to them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1