IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Probably a bit over the top, there, if I may say so; unfair, unnecessary and quite excessive.

Both @In the Net and @Miah Dennehy are openly Rovers supporters, but, in spite of that and all the disappointments they must have suffered over the years, not to mention the frequent embarrassment ?, venture on here often to offer their (mostly) worthy comments.

I share your scathing views of the Rovers forum, but there is no need to lower yourself to their level.

Appreciate your reply Phil but I respectfully disagree. I can’t see how I have lowered myself to their level - I haven’t hysterically shrieked about getting the gashead banned instantly etc  - inevitable that @In the Net would react positively to your post though ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

They are playing great football, and if they go up, it will be well deserved, especially after a poor start.

And it doesn't affect us in the slightest.

We will still be a division above, with a manager finally righting the ship, and steering us in the upward direction.

Rovers will never make the championship - they simply don't have the financial backing, infrastructure or fanbase.

League One (or Championship 2 as they like to call it) is their pinnacle - the Everest of their abilities. The only way is down.

Us? Well, if our delinquent owner finally decides to let someone run HIS club correctly, or sells to someone who will - then the Prem is our goal.

So fair play to the gas if they go up, because to us, they are simply a little club who play in the same City, and will be 'forever in our shadow'

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not really ‘hit a nerve’ Miah - both yourself and In The Net are welcomed on here, and rightly so, but nothing about 1982 is remotely amusing to Bristol City fans and any snide remarks about that period of time from a gashead on here will be met with appropriately vitriolic responses. Your club acted disgracefully at that time and has subsequently done so in other situations. You have nothing to crow about regarding how football clubs treat people or local businesses. And do bear in mind that a City fan can’t even have an opinion on your sad forum, can’t express any opinion on any issue without an instant ban. You are lucky to be here, so your cosy posts to another gashead on this forum regarding an extremely emotive subject are just not funny and probably won’t elicit the ‘arm around the shoulder, we are glad to have you here’ responses you expect ... anyway, as you were

Rovers acted disgracefully? Yeh okay, you don't think the board at the time might have been ever so slightly guilty of running the club into the ground and shitting on their own players? City have done a great PR job lately of promoting the Ashton Gate 8 as heroes, when in reality they were treated like shite - and feel free to ask any of those 8 how a fair few City fans turned on them. Not many people come out of the 1982 debacle with much credit, but this rewriting of history painting Rovers as the bad guys is utter nonsense.

You say I'm lucky to post on here? You have said that a few times before. Why should anyone be lucky to be 'allowed' to post on a public forum? If the Rovers forum bans City fans who post sensibly, I agree that's pretty petty minded, but if it's as bad a forum as you say it is (I don't use it) why would you want to go on there anyway?

I'm a pretty fair minded bloke and In The Net seems similar, . The moment either of us come on here consistently crowing after a Rovers win or City defeat, then we would probably deserve a ban, but as for being lucky in being 'allowed' to express an opinion, no, I don't agree.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Not many people come out of the 1982 debacle with much credit, but this rewriting of history painting Rovers as the bad guys is utter nonsense.

No one is suggesting that it’s Rovers fault that we found ourselves in that position in the first place but there’s also not much ‘re-writing of history’ either. BRFC did things at the time that certainly didn’t help and also tried to aquire AG at a rock bottom price, something that I’m not sure we would’ve recovered from. 

Undoubtedly the AG 8 we’re treated badly at the time, I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed this being covered up by the club or supporters? If Rovers, or any other club, were on the verge of disappearing forever the exact same things would happen. Fans don’t usually want to see their club die….not condoning it, just being realistic.

In an ideal world anyone who suffered in 82 would be given a mountain of cash by City but that’s easy to say when it’s not my money. Football finances the way they are there are many clubs up and down the country that have let the locals down financially at some stage or another. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

No one is suggesting that it’s Rovers fault that we found ourselves in that position in the first place but there’s also not much ‘re-writing of history’ either. BRFC did things at the time that certainly didn’t help and also tried to aquire AG at a rock bottom price, something that I’m not sure we would’ve recovered from. 

Undoubtedly the AG 8 we’re treated badly at the time, I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed this being covered up by the club or supporters? If Rovers, or any other club, were on the verge of disappearing forever the exact same things would happen. Fans don’t usually want to see their club die….not condoning it, just being realistic.

In an ideal world anyone who suffered in 82 would be given a mountain of cash by City but that’s easy to say when it’s not my money. Football finances the way they are there are many clubs up and down the country that have let the locals down financially at some stage or another. 

I agree  that if Rovers had found themselves in City's position in 82 they would probably act the same. By the same token, City would probably have acted in the same way Rovers did. What I find frustrating is when a club is labelled as 'scum' or 'vile' by another set of supporters because of actions taken by a few people years ago. I'm not talking specifically about 82 here either or about Rovers and City.  I like rivalry, it can be fun, I really do want City to lose every game , but you will never hear me saying City fans are scum or whatever, because that's patently nonsense. Some Rovers fans are dicks, so are some City fans, so are some Rangers fans, so are some Celtic fans, so are some Borehamwood fans etc etc, Like I said, rivalry can be fun, vitriol and hatred is depressing and pathetic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Rovers acted disgracefully? Yeh okay, you don't think the board at the time might have been ever so slightly guilty of running the club into the ground and shitting on their own players? City have done a great PR job lately of promoting the Ashton Gate 8 as heroes, when in reality they were treated like shite - and feel free to ask any of those 8 how a fair few City fans turned on them. Not many people come out of the 1982 debacle with much credit, but this rewriting of history painting Rovers as the bad guys is utter nonsense.

What should the board have done back then in your opinion, just fold? 

Oh no, a few fans turned on some players. That wouldn't happen from your fans would it.... At least you let players leave your club showing class, with no hatred or vitriol, or sing songs about having a party when they die... 

What did your board try and do exactly when we were about to go under for good back then? Treat our club a bit shitty?

Did they support the Council helping us out? Act all shitty?

Also what did your board do to the Rugby Club exactly? Be extremely shitty?

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I agree  that if Rovers had found themselves in City's position in 82 they would probably act the same. By the same token, City would probably have acted in the same way Rovers did. What I find frustrating is when a club is labelled as 'scum' or 'vile' by another set of supporters because of actions taken by a few people years ago. I'm not talking specifically about 82 here either or about Rovers and City.  I like rivalry, it can be fun, I really do want City to lose every game , but you will never hear me saying City fans are scum or whatever, because that's patently nonsense. Some Rovers fans are dicks, so are some City fans, so are some Rangers fans, so are some Celtic fans, so are some Borehamwood fans etc etc, Like I said, rivalry can be fun, vitriol and hatred is depressing and pathetic.

That’s fair enough. 

You’ve always been fair on this forum and elsewhere so credit where it’s due.

In the Net, Bert Tann and Fordingbridge Pirate are also very good posters.  

That’s enough pleasantries from me. ?

Come on FGR!

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That’s fair enough. 

You’ve always been fair on this forum and elsewhere so credit where it’s due.

In the Net, Bert Tann and Fordingbridge Pirate are also very good posters.  

That’s enough pleasantries from me. ?

Come on FGR!

I would say come on whoever you are playing this weekend, but I've no clue who it is! If it's any consolation, I 've been really pissed off that you have been utter dog shite this season, yet been in absolutely no danger of going down! I do hope we get to play you -and win- at least once more in my lifetime, although that is looking increasingly unlikely , not that I'm dying or anything, just that we are ******* light years apart! Anyway, if we do beat you any time soon, all you dirty red ******* are getting the beers in :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You say I'm lucky to post on here? You have said that a few times before. Why should anyone be lucky to be 'allowed' to post on a public forum? If the Rovers forum bans City fans who post sensibly, I agree that's pretty petty minded, but if it's as bad a forum as you say it is (I don't use it) why would you want to go on there anyway?

I'm a pretty fair minded bloke and In The Net seems similar, . The moment either of us come on here consistently crowing after a Rovers win or City defeat, then we would probably deserve a ban, but as for being lucky in being 'allowed' to express an opinion, no, I don't agree.

I was around in ‘82 and remember it well, I don’t doubt that one or two of the 8 might of got a bit of stick by the odd person but no way ‘a fair few’ like you state, (whatever a fair few is) it was probably no more than the few Rovers fans who got on the players bus at some non-entity non-league ground a few years ago and abused their own players

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would say come on whoever you are playing this weekend, but I've no clue who it is! If it's any consolation, I 've been really pissed off that you have been utter dog shite this season, yet been in absolutely no danger of going down! I do hope we get to play you -and win- at least once more in my lifetime, although that is looking increasingly unlikely 

You must have missed the publishing of our accounts and the talk of potential points deductions…..

17 minutes ago, harrys said:

I was around in ‘82 and remember it well, I don’t doubt that one or two of the 8 might of got a bit of stick by the odd person but no way ‘a fair few’ like you state, (whatever a fair few is) it was probably no more than the few Rovers fans who got on the players bus at some non-entity non-league ground a few years ago and abused their own players

Read my other posts. A lot of football fans are *******, who they support is irrelevant. Yes the same would probably happened at Rovers.

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

What should the board have done back then in your opinion, just fold? 

Oh no, a few fans turned on some players. That wouldn't happen from your fans would it.... At least you let players leave your club showing class, with no hatred or vitriol, or sing songs about having a party when they die... 

What did your board try and do exactly when we were about to go under for good back then? Treat our club a bit shitty?

Did they support the Council helping us out? Act all shitty?

Also what did your board do to the Rugby Club exactly? Be extremely shitty?

As Miah has already said, the "holier than thou" stance from either side is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would say come on whoever you are playing this weekend, but I've no clue who it is! If it's any consolation, I 've been really pissed off that you have been utter dog shite this season, yet been in absolutely no danger of going down! I do hope we get to play you -and win- at least once more in my lifetime, although that is looking increasingly unlikely , not that I'm dying or anything, just that we are ******* light years apart! Anyway, if we do beat you any time soon, all you dirty red ******* are getting the beers in :)

Nige has been rebuilding this season and has been hampered by senior players missing thru injury so it’s no surprise that with youngsters in the team that this campaign has been pretty poor.

If we ever play the gas again it would be have to be a cup game. I can’t imagine you guys ever reaching the Championship.

Edited by Robbored

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Pot,kettle, black ?

9 hours ago, myol'man said:

We would urge any genuine supporter of the club to think of the consequences of their actions before taking the crayon out of their mouth and committing it to paper.

And the guys who tried to get in on a Quid a Kid ticket were busted when they admitted they remembered watching the Gash play in the second tier…

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, In the Net said:

As Miah has already said, the "holier than thou" stance from either side is ridiculous. 

Miah was having a pop at a poster because the poster rightfully said "Rovers acted disgracefully" - which they did imo. Feel free to say they didn't and defend what they done at the time, that's fine. If you think your club done everything correctly then please point it out. If anyone wants to point out and have a go at what our board done at the time then feel free to, but don't expect anyone not to come back with some of the shocking things your club has done over the years. 

Miah then went on to say "Yeh okay (patronising much), you don't think the board at the time might have been ever so slightly guilty of running the club into the ground and shitting on their own players? City have done a great PR job lately of promoting the Ashton Gate 8 as heroes, when in reality they were treated like shite - and feel free to ask any of those 8 how a fair few City fans turned on them. Not many people come out of the 1982 debacle with much credit, but this rewriting of history painting Rovers as the bad guys is utter nonsense".

Maybe Miah should have a look in the mirror, or maybe you can have a word with him with his own "holier than thou" stance. It seems to me he is basically saying "your lot is worse than our lot".

• Flames 1

On 19/04/2022 at 20:24, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not weird at all - I’ve stuck to that mantra all my life - no way I’d drive around with blue and white quarters on a steering wheel and on the bonnet - call me sad and pathetic but that’s the way it is - plus I don’t like BMWs anyway! ??????

I had a BMW (320) a few years ago and paid to have the badges changed to red and white. :)

Not a great car anyway so changed to an Audi as soon as I could.

• Flames 1

On 19/04/2022 at 20:38, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well said, Rovers tried to ‘steal’ Ashton Gate from us when we were at our lowest ebb then objected to us being given an offer of financial help by local authorities, so that offer of help was withdrawn - yet they still squeak, squeal and complain that the local authorities do nothing to help them ... in 1982 they circled around like bloodthirsty vultures and they’ve acted in a similar fashion towards other clubs - like when Pompey was in dire financial straits; which club do you think it was who steamed straight into that situation to see if they could pick up any Pompey players for way below their market value ... yep, the squatting vultures ... 1982, never forget, never forgive ...

Just forty years ago then. Evidently all the same people are still there gloating.

There used to be sense in having a rivalry with the Rovers but all they do these days is provide us with comedy gold .

My nagging  thought is , would City have had more, some, success if the blue few didn’t exist? 

4 hours ago, TheReds said:

Miah was having a pop at a poster because the poster rightfully said "Rovers acted disgracefully" - which they did imo. Feel free to say they didn't and defend what they done at the time, that's fine. If you think your club done everything correctly then please point it out. If anyone wants to point out and have a go at what our board done at the time then feel free to, but don't expect anyone not to come back with some of the shocking things your club has done over the years. 

Miah then went on to say "Yeh okay (patronising much), you don't think the board at the time might have been ever so slightly guilty of running the club into the ground and shitting on their own players? City have done a great PR job lately of promoting the Ashton Gate 8 as heroes, when in reality they were treated like shite - and feel free to ask any of those 8 how a fair few City fans turned on them. Not many people come out of the 1982 debacle with much credit, but this rewriting of history painting Rovers as the bad guys is utter nonsense".

Maybe Miah should have a look in the mirror, or maybe you can have a word with him with his own "holier than thou" stance. It seems to me he is basically saying "your lot is worse than our lot".

Maybe I misunderstood him?  My own stance is that it's no different to the "my dad is bigger than your dad" argument which kids have. - it's a never ending circle, with valid points on both sides, along with some points not so valid.  There's never going to be a "winner" - just endless re-hashing of history. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Oh dear ?‍♂️got to give the bloke some credit, he knows the right things to say, they will lap that up !!

Southern Premier League fan base.

7,000 is Premier League eh? What is he talking about? Wimbledon at Plough Lane maybe?

They’ve certainly been in the Premier League when it comes to football bans!

Where are they all then? At home watching Jeff Stelling whilst 6 knuckling over City’s latest defeat?

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, In the Net said:

Absolutely bang on. That’s what really gets my goat, but as soon as I hear it I have enough ammo in the tank to obliterate any ‘holier than thou’ comments. Especially from the self confessed family club.

The only thing I can’t find something similar to is the punching of the horse? I think Rovers lead that one 2-0.

Edited by Gert Mare

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Absolutely bang on. That’s what really gets my goat, but as soon as I hear it I have enough ammo in the tank to obliterate any ‘holier than thou’ comments. Especially from the self confessed family club.

The only thing I can’t find something similar to is the punching of the horse? I think Rovers lead that one 2-0.

Ha ha - you've triggered me! ??

Deliberately injuring a police dog, as detailed by one of your own in his book.

Seriously, I'll leave it at that - we could keep this going until Christmas!