IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Why?  Because those of us Bristolians who are in our eighth decade remember a time when you could support both Bristol teams whilst favouring one of the two.

I remember, as a City fan for over 70 years, I got an enormous thrill seeing Rovers come back from 3-0 down at half time to Leeds, in old Division 2, to draw 3-3 at Eastville.  I remember going to cheer Rovers on, Divison 3, against Everton, in Division 1, in FA Cup at Goodison.

show respect everyone for a great achievement for one of the city’s clubs.

People who on here say they ‘hate’ Rovers, or worse, just take a moment to see how silly you look.  I know what John Atyeo would have thought of you!

I look to a time, or rather dream of a time, when Bristol provide both city clubs in a European Final

It's interesting to reflect on when that fellow feeling ended. I'm in my 7th decade (just!) and I can't ever remember a time when folk supported both clubs. Personally I've always hated Rovers, despite having met lots of perfectly nice Rovers fans down the years.

I have to be honest, when they got to 5-0, I hoped they would do it. Made the end of the season's football more exciting. Shame that Exeter couldn't win the league, but I'm quite pleased Rovers got promoted and fair play to them and the job Joey Barton has done. Well done the Gas, credit where credits due, if you win 7-0 you deserve to go up. No bitterness here.

BTW, I bet its bouncing on the Robbered bus right now!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Just now, robin for life said:

I have to be honest, when they got to 5-0, I hoped they would do it. Made the end of the season's football more exciting. Shame that Exeter couldn't win the league, but I'm quite pleased Rovers got promoted and fair play to them and the job Joey Barton has done. Well done the Gas, credit where credits due, if you win 7-0 you deserve to go up. No bitterness here.

It’s hard to deny that’s the football magic right there. I will still call them tinpot but fair play to them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Haven't read the full post but reported on 5 live that Scunthorpe had 6 young players with only 5 league games between them playing today.

Is that even allowed? Did they field their strongest , all be it not very good, line up ? 
It sticks in the craw but crédit where it’s due. The Gas have been good in a shit division. 
Coming for us ?

Next season they’ll be shit in a good division. 

• Like 3

Fair shout to them that is an unbelievable result and turnaround of their fortunes this season- sure others won’t understand but I would love to have really competitive Derbies again in the future… as a young boy I remember my old man taking me to a few in the early 90’s and I really felt the rivalry… always remember one midweek game we won 1-0 with a Tinman penalty after Alexander got sent off.

It was so competitive back in those days that I could probably still remember most of their team that played!!!

You had to be their I guess

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, robin for life said:

No need - no pray offs for them thankfully.

Btw- the gashead guys that used to drink in the same pub as me have all gone separate way. The main man, Graham sadly passed away a few years ago and - amusingly - is buried in Bedminster cemetery  overlooking AG……His sons have married and live in Yatton and Clevedon respectively. I see their families growing FB these days. No doubt they’ll both be delighted.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

I'm still trying to process what has happened.

Scunthorpe clearly should have picked a first team 11 from a sporting integrity point of view, but that isn't to take anything away from what the Fewers have achieved today, they can only play the side the opposition put out.

If you were a Northampton fan, you'd be livid.

• Like 4

Fair play to them. I’ve got loads of mates that support Rovers and they’ll have a great night tonight. I’d still like to see us playing in the same division so we could get 2 derbies each season. I don’t get this hatred… yes, they’re tinpot but why should we have an issue with that?

Let them have their moment cos L1 gets tougher and tougher each year and staying up will be their aim. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I trust you. What happens now?

He’ll lead the lemmings in a “city we’re coming for you”, cry, I expect some “sleeping giants” talk and they’ll be even bigger insufferable pricks than they normally are.

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 2

What I would say is that the statistics show they have put in title winning or not far off title winning form in the last 3 months. 43 pts from 19 games, equated over a season is over 100 points?

Looking at the scores today, Northampton probably eased up too early- they were in 3 up in 20 odd minutes!

They'll be back down the bottom end of League 1 next year, I would have thought.