IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Just now, Robbored said:

No need - no pray offs for them thankfully.

Btw- the gashead guys that used to drink in the same pub as me have all gone separate way. The main man, Graham sadly passed away a few years ago and - amusingly - is buried in Bedminster grave overlooking AG……His sons have married and live in Yatton and Clevedon respectively. I see their families growing FB these days. No doubt they’ll both be delighted.

Sorry you lost a friend, hope he was watching down on them proud today. 

My comments were only tongue in cheek, I'm genuinely pleased for them. I have uncles who are Rovers fans and one of them is battling cancer and I know he would have loved to have been there today. My Dad's brothers and sisters are split, 8 kids, 4 Rovers, 4 City. Strange, but they are all in their 70s and 80s and things were different back then. 

I toyed with the idea of going to watch Exeter today. I think it's great how well the West Country teams have done this season, it's a shame Plymouth buckled. 

Sadly I don't get to many City games anymore, too expensive for me and living in Exmoor it's a long journey is its an early or late kick off. I've been to a few Exeter, Plymouth and Torquay games this season and I find myself wanting all the West Country teams to do well. I've never gone to watch Rovers, but I am pleased for my uncles and also pleased for their fans. I enjoyed watching it on Ifollow today as it unfolded, with SSN on the TV. 

As bad as it is to say, I gave a little cheer when the 7th went in. 

Fair play to em. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Why?  Because those of us Bristolians who are in our eighth decade remember a time when you could support both Bristol teams whilst favouring one of the two.

I remember, as a City fan for over 70 years, I got an enormous thrill seeing Rovers come back from 3-0 down at half time to Leeds, in old Division 2, to draw 3-3 at Eastville.  I remember going to cheer Rovers on, Divison 3, against Everton, in Division 1, in FA Cup at Goodison.

show respect everyone for a great achievement for one of the city’s clubs.

People who on here say they ‘hate’ Rovers, or worse, just take a moment to see how silly you look.  I know what John Atyeo would have thought of you!

I look to a time, or rather dream of a time, when Bristol provide both city clubs in a European Final

My father who I sadly lost last year, was a red through and through. Brought up in St Johns lane.

Back in the day, he would watch and support City, and cycle over to watch the gas when City weren't at home. It was common.

He said he'd leave his bike unlocked like everyone. No problems.

He also supported GCCC but followed SCCC as well.

He'd always listen or watch all four clubs...but allegiances were with City and Gloucestershire. Yet he'd still want the Gas or Somerset to beat teams from further afield.

I'd personally love both us and the Gas to be in the same league as high as possible. Always loved a Derby game.

I've got really good friends that are gas...I'm happy for them today. Because they are close friends. Still lots of friendly banter to be had.

However... you'll always get ' hate' amongst certain ones. A wasted negative emotion well ignored imo. 

As long as City are always above the Gas eh ??

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 4

I think their momentum would've probably won them the play-offs had they not turned over the worst side in the entire football league (who put out an U23 side). At least this way, we won't have to hear about the "billions" of fans they'll take to Wembley. The citizens of HA9 will be relieved not to be hosting those living dead.

I don't begrudge them just scraping back into the third tier on the final day. All things considered, it's probably the level that's right for them.  FGR and Exeter deserve the real plaudits though for not having to rely on goal scored to make the leap. 

The Gas will - of course - find the going considerably tougher next season. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
Edit: as per Estonian Red post
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think their momentum would've probably won them the play-offs had they not turned over the worst side in the entire football league (who put out an U23 side). At least this way, we won't have to hear about the "billions" of fans they'll take to Wembley. The citizens of HA9 will be relieved not to be hosting those living dead.

I don't begrudge them just scraping back into the third tier on the final day. All things considered, it's probably the level that's right for them.  FGR and Exeter deserve the real plaudits though for not having to rely on goal difference to make the leap. 

The Gas will - of course - find the going considerably tougher next season. 

Sorry to correct you   It was goals scored that secured them promotion.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Fair shout to them that is an unbelievable result and turnaround of their fortunes this season- sure others won’t understand but I would love to have really competitive Derbies again in the future… as a young boy I remember my old man taking me to a few in the early 90’s and I really felt the rivalry… always remember one midweek game we won 1-0 with a Tinman penalty after Alexander got sent off.

It was so competitive back in those days that I could probably still remember most of their team that played!!!

You had to be their I guess

This. We must be of similar age.

People will frown at this, but I would have no problem with Rovers getting promoted to the Championship if that meant we could have two derbies against them every season. Would make average seasons like this one a bit more bearable. Would definitely bring some of the spirit back having a real passion for supporting City, everything has gone a bit stale and commercial for me over the last five or so years!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Fair play to them. Doesn’t bother me. If it’s a step towards competitive Bristol derbies at a high level of football then it’s a good thing. Because nothing compares. 

Agreed fair play to them, I thought Scun were there for the hammering but once Northampton were 3 up so quick ... psychologically that should have been game over ... .the win at Rochdale too... considering where they were in about Oct they deserve it ,,,

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm still trying to process what has happened.

Scunthorpe clearly should have picked a first team 11 from a sporting integrity point of view, but that isn't to take anything away from what the Fewers have achieved today, they can only play the side the opposition put out.

If you were a Northampton fan, you'd be livid.

Absolute disgrace of Scunthorpe to do this, no attempt to honour the integrity of the league or respect Northampton. Most people expected them to get beat, but to effectively put out a side that was three quarters a youth team in a fixture that effected the promotion places is pathetic.

15 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Think we were 4th when we got out of that league. I remember being pretty damn pleased. 

It was two seasons after we’d gone bust & we were a team of free transfers & kids, that’s why.

Unlike them, we have never been back (or non league).

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Scunthorpe had 7 teenagers in their side last week as well, Hartlepool who hadn't won in 8 managed 23 shots against them. They are just woeful.

Let the Rovers have their fun for a few weeks, they will have a shock next season not playing against utter shite week in week out, and without their better players from this season.

Technically Scunny didn’t break any rules. 
The team sheet (that’s including subs) has to have at minimum 10 players the same as the previous match. Scunny had 15. 
They’d actually brought a few of the youngsters in last week and then made further changes this week, ending up with with 4 academy scholars starting and 4 other under 20’s. 
It’s a bit of a joke really and if you were on the receiving end you wouldn’t be happy, but technically there is nothing against the rules. 
The fact a 17 year old first year scholar was in goal, who looked absolute pony, is the big issue. 

Still, having been to FGR numerous times this season, all I can say is Rovers managed to scrape 3rd place in a shite division behind FGR and Exeter, by beating a team of kids on the last day. 
I’m sure their form would’ve seen them win the playoffs with all the other teams choking recently, so at least we won’t have the unbearable 67,000 at Wembley! 

• Like 4