IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

52 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

they will be what Alex Ferguson termed the “noisy neighbours” for a month or two whilst we all wait for the next calamity that is just around the corner.

Yes & likely to find league one a little strong for their taste....

Today's events could for us 'orrible Ted's be a blessing in the disguise...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Anyone wishing those ****s well ain’t City in my opinion 

I think there’s two schools of thought - if people are genuinely wishing them well then yes that’s a bit strange.

If it’s a bit more nuanced than that and people (such as myself) think a better Bristol Rovers is probably better for Bristol and thus Bristol City then I disagree. The point being made is that a better Bristol Rovers and a genuine rivalry in the City is probably healthy in a place that’s historically seen as a bit of a footballing backwater. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

And why not? Scunny were already relegated with nothing to play for. How strong was the Barrow side, did they play a weakened side?

No, Barrow played a full strength side. Scummy didn’t just play a weakened side, they played their youth side. And I’d have thought it was fairly obvious why that’s a questionable thing to do. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s done and if you know any Gas gobshites you can point out how they got promoted, a bit more realistic than their claim that without Derby and Reading points deductions we were ******……..

It's like a poundland conclusion to the last F1 season.

Have the EFL employed that fella who made the rules up as he went along?

Seriously though, not blaming the Fewers for that, they can only play whoever the opposition decide to field.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Anyone wishing those ****s well ain’t City in my opinion 

Well that’s your opinion! I don’t hate them as much, as a lot of family are Gas and prefer they support local as opposed to Premiership glory hunting tourists. I say fair play, was a freak result and deserved to go up. I’m still City.

• Like 5

Fair play to them, that result last week was incredible. Scunthorpe were down and out and facing non league, likely going to lose all the senior players from this year and surely good riddance to them as they have performed so poorly, nothing to play for for them why not field the kids

FGR, Exeter and rovers into league 1. Good for the SW

when we have been an established championship club bar two season for the last 14 years why waste the time getting salty I have no idea

although their manager really should be in jail

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I look to a time, or rather dream of a time, when Bristol provide both city clubs in a European Final

This comes to pass, when a child is born.

Ivor hums: "Aha aha, ha ha haha. Hmm, hmm hmmm hmm, hmmm, hmm hmm"

And all of this happens because the world is waiting,

Waiting for one city,

Red, blue, red white and blue, **** who knows

But a city that will grow up and turn tears into laughter

Hate to love, war to peace, and L2 promotions into European finals

And misery and suffering - and finishing below Luton and Preston - will be forgotten forever (more hummimg)

It's all a dream, an illusion now

It must come true, sometime soon somehow (better recruitment, for starters)

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

It's interesting to reflect on when that fellow feeling ended. I'm in my 7th decade (just!) and I can't ever remember a time when folk supported both clubs. Personally I've always hated Rovers, despite having met lots of perfectly nice Rovers fans down the years.

Late 60s, at a guess, with the "taking of ends," and scrapping and kicking **** out of scrafers andso on, and in Bristol, with the attempts to take not just "ends," but entire grounds, when the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clunes said:

Fair play to them. I’ve got loads of mates that support Rovers and they’ll have a great night tonight. I’d still like to see us playing in the same division so we could get 2 derbies each season. I don’t get this hatred… yes, they’re tinpot but why should we have an issue with that?

Let them have their moment cos L1 gets tougher and tougher each year and staying up will be their aim. 

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you fella?

I want to echo some sentiments of congratulatory feelings towards them. Although I do think some focuses on the quality of the Scunthorpe team is a bit OTT; yes they played youngsters but it wasn't a one-off occasion; they've been doing it the last couple of games, and they've been getting relatively decent results, and they're not the first team to do it: I remember Leyton Orient doing it a couple seasons ago. Also worth pointing out that it's not like the last game is worth more, they got 3 points today and 3 points in September when they won. When Bolton were going bankrupt I remember them playing their youngsters early into the League One season, they were getting battered and then all of a sudden they got cleared and on deadline day signed a TONNE of players, they still went down but they weren't getting battered every week, I thought that was probably more unfair but that's just football I guess. They subbed off their LB early on because apparently he was just getting rinsed for fun. 

I also want to echo some testaments about I wish the rivalry was less hostile and more competitive. Personally, I like having a nice, top-quality Bristol derby. If Rovers are just shit (or to hear some they want them to go bust!) it's just a bit odd to me. My now-deceased step-father was a massive City fan through and through, unfortunately the last game he watched for us was the Hull game before he died. Him and my father, who's a sag, got along very well. Unfortunately since the 80s the rivalry has just soured so much it's crazy looking back. This isn't a dig at our fans, because they've definitely got a lot of pricks. Just wish they were better because I love the derby!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I wonder if Joey had a flutter?

Who knows, but it probably means his Mrs is safe tonight. We all know what an angry Joey's like. Would be interesting to know how the sags would be reacting if the boot were on the other foot and had Northampton played a team who just gave up.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

All these Happy Clappers saying “Well done” aren’t true City. **** um.

If you weren't at Newport '82, or indeed Halifax away midweek the following season, you ain't true City. And don't start with the: "I was 2 then/not even born," not listening ....

Edited by Bristol Oil Services
  • Haha 8
  • Flames 1

I had hoped that they would disappear forever when they dropped out of the League but like a stubborn, floaty turd here they are again. 
Do they have a negative affect on the City ? 
I thought so but we didn’t exactly pull up any trees whilst they dwindle in the wilderness so I doubt it.

They are ,and always will be , Notts County to our Nottm Forest , Port Vale to our Stoke City and Tranmere to our Liverpool. Always in our shadow and they know it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Can't go as far as saying wishing Rovers well doesn't make you a true City fan, but I struggle to imagine why you would. I'm trying to imagine how many of them were wishing us well at Wembley against Hull.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

31 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Well that’s your opinion! I don’t hate them as much, as a lot of family are Gas and prefer they support local as opposed to Premiership glory hunting tourists. I say fair play, was a freak result and deserved to go up. I’m still City.

Apart from my dad all my family are Gas. I love my family 

but I would happily see Rovers go bust. **** em 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I can tell you now if the shoe was on the other foot and we had done what they have today not one of that lot would be saying well done, they would all be complaining to the FA for Scunthorpe fielding a weakened side, I know plenty of Gas and they are good mates but I can't stand them as a football club or their nutcase manager and the phoney billionaire owner (when is the new ground opening?) pathetic tinpot club with a tinpot ground and lower league 1 support at best, forever in our shadow. Having said all that I did back them at 7/2 a few weeks back to finish top 3 so every cloud.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4