IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

In terms of infrastructure it will take them at least 8 years to catch up with us if they start now so I don't see them as competition so I don't really care, I'm not even sure care is the right word - it must have been amazing to go up like that so I'm kind of happy for them. In comparison there best ever and worst ever days have been in the 4th tier, a league we have spent hardly any time in. We have spent the majority of our time in the last 20 years 2 leagues above them, Forest Green are more likely to get to be the local side joining us in the championship than Rovers.

• Like 1

• Admin

If that was the other way round, the sags would be shouting from the rooftops and demanding an inquiry/legal action if a team played an under strength side and potentially had a player who since being sold could net the club a few quid.

I just don’t get this attitude of congratulating them and thinking it would be good to have two clubs at the same level we’d be better served if they went bust and we became a one club city.

FTG I hope they have a torrid season in Division 3.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, City oz said:

7-0 and automatic promotion.

Bristol Rovers produced a stunning second-half display to thrash a youthful Scunthorpe side and snatch automatic promotion from League Two on goals scored after a dramatic final afternoon.

Probably good for Bristol football in general terms and next season only one division below us. Even though I wish them luck as long as they always stay a division below us for the rest of my life I will be extremely happy.

Well done to them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

The more I think about it, the more this seems dodgy. Scunthorpe are ran by a dodgy owner Peter Swan who’s completely cash strapped and looking to sell. His club would financially benefit from a Rovers promotion. The sags have convicted criminal Joey Barton in charge. Say no more.

Mid way through the second half, the score is 2-0, Northampton have sat back and are resting on their 3-1 scoreline. Rovers know they need at least five goals, and they somehow get them all, in quick succession. 

I’m not insinuating anything, but….. maybe we’ll here more about this?

Who really cares?      :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Good for football in Bristol, couple of friends are rovers fans & they’ve had some tough Years. Love the derby matches & it may even be good for a loan player to get some league one matches. I get the rivalry thing & I’ve joined in with jokes about them going extinct in the past, probably in the minority but it’s good for the area & id rather play them in the championship than league one twice a Year if they went up again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is going to open the floodgates for the campaign to get them a new ground. Even the thickest Gashead will surely be embarrassed by going to some of the grounds in league one next season, and then seeing those fans having to come to the Go Outdoors Display Area. 

They will be even more vociferous in their begging of the council to find them a plot of land, and probably wanting it for free, then help with building it. All the time bleating on about how the '82ers have an unfair advantage because they actually built a ground, with money from that tax evading lady garden owner of theirs.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Who really cares?      :dunno:

IF (and I must emphasize on the if) sporting integrity has come into question here, then we should all care. If it turns out (as probably is the case) that there’s nothing untoward then yes, who cares indeed. Something does seem fishy though, particularly with Scunthorpe standing to gain financially.

• Like 1

It certainly put Bristol football on the map, and everybody seemed to be talking about it yesterday, so there’s that.

I honestly only care about us though, and I don’t think it really matters which of the two lower divisions they are in. They aren’t a threat to us. Their infrastructure is a mess, they have no money, and their support base is ageing. They aren’t getting to the Championship, and as long as we don’t implode, there’s no reason why we should worry about them.

When a City Forum has a thread like this, predominately for taking the rip out of the Gas, one has to remember it's a two way street... This week it's their turn to revel in their comparative glory, and let's be honest at their level, what they've achieved since Xmas is pretty seismic. Only Mansfield gaining promotion will top it. Their last two games have produced consecutive dramas that will live in the minds of those who were there, and, in time, 30,000 more who say they were there. Fair play to them, every club's fans set expectations in line with their position, this season has undoubtedly exceeded these expectations. Sour grapes will only put sparkly icing on their 21/22 promotion cake. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I like to see a local non-league team break through into league football and have some prospect of staying in the league rather than falling back out again.

Cheltenham, Forest Green Rovers and now Bristol Rovers have all shown that non league football in the west has decent potential.

Will it be Bristol Manor Farm or the Mangos who will be the next to make the step up?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

IF (and I must emphasize on the if) sporting integrity has come into question here, then we should all care. If it turns out (as probably is the case) that there’s nothing untoward then yes, who cares indeed.

Yep, this is what comes down to. I can understand Northampton asking questions, can you imagine it the other way around, dear God the gAss would have lobbied the Senate by now. 

I did see someone say that Scunthorpe had been playing a young side for a while, may all be coincidence, but how the collapse happened and the timing that made it hard to change attitude in their game? Like I say, I'd be asking questions.
After a turn around like that, don't see Northampton winning the Playoffs now. 

9 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Don't know who this guy is but seems to have a good number of subscribers, a city supporter who travelled up to Barrow for the game...

It's a bit of a stretch to say they bottled promotion isn't it? 99% of the time a 5+ goal difference on the Gas and then a a 3-1 final day win would be job done. Scunthorpe have done themselves no favours.

18 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I like to see a local non-league team break through into league football and have some prospect of staying in the league rather than falling back out again.

Cheltenham, Forest Green Rovers and now Bristol Rovers have all shown that non league football in the west has decent potential.

Will it be Bristol Manor Farm or the Mangos who will be the next to make the step up?

Don't forget Chippenham Town who slipped into the play offs by beating their rivals for the last spot, Havant and Waterlooville 2-0 away from home.

While we are at it, can we get away from this idea that Swindon are part of the West Country, they are are as close to Reading as they are to us and their local derby is Oxford United.

It's been fun supporting @Shaun Taylor's post when it looked like Swindon might help keep the Gas where they belonged, but now I can go back to seeing them as even more irrelevant than the Gas

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

The more I think about it, the more this seems dodgy. Scunthorpe are ran by a dodgy owner Peter Swan who’s completely cash strapped and looking to sell. His club would financially benefit from a Rovers promotion. The sags have convicted criminal Joey Barton in charge. Say no more.

Mid way through the second half, the score is 2-0, Northampton have sat back and are resting on their 3-1 scoreline. Rovers know they need at least five goals, and they somehow get them all, in quick succession. 

Add to that, the pitch invasion meant that they were able to play out the last 15 minutes knowing exactly what they needed to do. So could sit back and just focus on defending their lead, and stopping Scunthorpe Babes from scoring, rather than going for an eighth and risking conceding from a breakaway.

Still, if there’s a plus it will mean we don’t keep getting “Coventry” thrown at us (decades after the event) any longer, since the G** have engineered something very similar them selves now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist and to be honest I don't really care about Rovers going up, I have a few sound sag mates, but it really is looking dodgier by the minute.

What is it, 3 players over the age of 20 in that lineup? And a very convenient deal done in January?

I hope this gets picked up a bit in the media but I doubt anything will come of it, it's not high profile enough, but I'd be fuming if I were a Northampton fan.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1

Good luck clutching at that straw :)

Anyway, it was a lovely day and great to see so many ex players such as Tom Ritchie there,cheering on The Gas :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Good luck clutching at that straw :)

Anyway, it was a lovely day and great to see so many ex players such as Tom Ritchie there,cheering on The Gas :)

I don't think it's clutching at straws at all, it's genuinely quite possible, and they fielded a much, much weaker team. It's certainly suspicious.

None of this (at least from me) detracts from Rovers going up. They can only play what's in front of them, and I doubt they were part of it, it's more at Scunthorpe.

Edited by nebristolred

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't forget Chippenham Town who slipped into the play offs by beating their rivals for the last spot, Havant and Waterlooville 2-0 away from home.

While we are at it, can we get away from this idea that Swindon are part of the West Country, they are are as close to Reading as they are to us and their local derby is Oxford United.

It's been fun supporting @Shaun Taylor's post when it looked like Swindon might help keep the Gas where they belonged, but now I can go back to seeing them as even more irrelevant than the Gas

Even if we don't go up we will still get more into our ground than them next season?

1 minute ago, nebristolred said:

I don't think it's clutching at straws at all, it's genuinely quite possible, and they fielded a much, much weaker team. It's certainly suspicious.

None of this (at least from me) detracts from Rovers going up. They can only play what's in front of them, and I doubt they were part of it, it's more at Scunthorpe.

I think it's pretty much the same side they put out last week. 

10 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

When JB took over they were near the bottom and he said he would take them up ….I said at the time that if he did I’d eat my car …:facepalm: …anyone got a knife n fork? 

As much as it pains me to say it …well done to him and the horse punchers .

This might help

http://www.classclownacademy.com/the-man-who-ate-a-car-so-weirdand-yet-so-true/

• Haha 2