IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I would say so. I live in Wiltshire and the majority of Bristol Rovers fans I know of are 50+. A lot more younger Bristol City fans around this area.

I also live in Wiltshire. Imagine my shock at driving through Corsham yesterday evening and spotting a young un in da famous quarters. I nearly lost my appetite 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, City oz said:

I remember some great rivalry especially when I was a young lad at away games at the old Eastville ground. The gas and the Tote end and the pitch invasions at the end were both sets of supporters were like two armies running at each end of the pitch, us from the open end and the gas from the Tote end clashing mid way. From memory this was would be mid early 70s.

We will always be the best club in Bristol but looking for a bit of a gas ressurection to bring back some rivalry.

It's ok for you ,you don't have to live by the smelly ***** !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Personally, I’m not a big fan of “weakened teams” when it affects others, it seems disrespectful and selfish to me. But I recognise that it’s pretty much impossible to legislate for. And it’s also very subjective, who’s to say that a “full strength” Scunthorpe side made up of older players, already down, possibly leaving the club, and minds very much elsewhere should have done any better.

But I do think that the issue of the promotion sell on clause is a different matter and is something the EFL need to have a look at. And in all seriousness, I’m not saying that just because of this particular instance - if indeed it’s even true. I’ve seen nothing more than a few tweets so far. But it has highlighted that it’s a questionable principle and that it can end up giving a very clear impression of wrong-doing, whether that’s justified or not. 

I totally agree. Like you I have read a few comments about a 'promotion clause' without any real evidence to back it up, as far as I am aware clubs don't share contract details with random Twitter users! But if such clauses do exist, especially between clubs in the same division, it should certainly be stopped.

Not retrospectively of course :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, In the Net said:

The pitch invasion was not a help, we had the momentum at that time, and I'm sure that we would have gone on to score an 8th without the interruption in play, whereas Scunthorpe appeared to have re-grouped when play re-started and the worry was that they would score.  Bit rich you mentioning this, remember Coventry v City in the 1970's?

Scunthorpe have been playing younger players for several games, Mansfield beat them 4-0 and I didn't hear anybody complaining about their line-up, although Mansfield were also involved in the hunt for an automatic place. 

Still, everybody loves a conspiracy theory.  

Hmmm, Barton (convicted crim) and Swan (banned in the 60's for bribery) , no , obviously nothing to see here !

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think it's pretty much the same side they put out last week. 

I said earlier in the thread that technically Scunthorpe broke no rules yesterday. So you are right that there isn’t a case to be had for any foul play. 
However, it’s not pretty much the same side. 
Yesterday they made 3 changes, bringing in a 20 year old and 2 2nd year academy scholars (one of which was at left back and was horrendous, I think you’ll agree). 

Yesterday was 4 players different from the team put out 2 games ago, which was the first game they brought in 1st year scholar 17 year old keeper (who was horrendous, I’m sure you’ll agree). 

The team yesterday was also 4 different from 3 games ago. 

But, from 4 games ago and prior, there were 7 different starters, all of which were 20 or under. 

So Scunny changed the make up of the team 3 games ago and then weakened it again even further last week and then even further again yesterday. 

As said, there is nothing against the rules in what they’ve done, but you surely must agree that the team they put out 6 games ago vs FGR is chalk and cheese compared to the shower they put out yesterday. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was very appropriate I thought - bit surprised that he thought of it tho……..:cool2:

Bit surprised a gash would know who the **** Charles Dickens was ! He might have gone into Waterstones and asked an assistant to read the first few lines of ATOTC for him, having thought it was another "hoolie" book !

Charlie Dickens...top boy back in the day.

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I said earlier in the thread that technically Scunthorpe broke no rules yesterday. So you are right that there isn’t a case to be had for any foul play. 
However, it’s not pretty much the same side. 
Yesterday they made 3 changes, bringing in a 20 year old and 2 2nd year academy scholars (one of which was at left back and was horrendous, I think you’ll agree). 

Yesterday was 4 players different from the team put out 2 games ago, which was the first game they brought in 1st year scholar 17 year old keeper (who was horrendous, I’m sure you’ll agree). 

The team yesterday was also 4 different from 3 games ago. 

But, from 4 games ago and prior, there were 7 different starters, all of which were 20 or under. 

So Scunny changed the make up of the team 3 games ago and then weakened it again even further last week and then even further again yesterday. 

As said, there is nothing against the rules in what they’ve done, but you surely must agree that the team they put out 6 games ago vs FGR is chalk and cheese compared to the shower they put out yesterday. 

I really dont know what their team selection has been , I just heard they put the kids in last week, who btw seemed to do a better job than their 'real' team , who have been absolutely dogshite all season.

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

I really dont know what their team selection has been , I just heard they put the kids in last week, who btw seemed to do a better job than their 'real' team , who have been absolutely dogshite all season.

I just told you what they did. 
4 games ago they made a couple of changes, then they made a couple more, and yesterday 3 more, culminating in 7 changes (mostly 17 & 18 year olds) playing against you. 
Their points per game over the last 4, since starting to bring in the scholars is 0.5. The rest of the season is 0.57. So they haven’t been getting better results 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I just told you what they did. 
4 games ago they made a couple of changes, then they made a couple more, and yesterday 3 more, culminating in 7 changes (mostly 17 & 18 year olds) playing against you. 
Their points per game over the last 4, since starting to bring in the scholars is 0.5. The rest of the season is 0.57. So they haven’t been getting better results 

.07 less than than before- deplorable :)

Go on any forum towards the end of the season and you will read posts saying 'put the kids in'. Scunthorpe have been shit all season. A very poor side met a very good side yesterday , thats all that happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Bit surprised a gash would know who the **** Charles Dickens was ! He might have gone into Waterstones and asked an assistant to read the first few lines of ATOTC for him, having thought it was another "hoolie" book !

He was in the same year at school with my daughter and as we lived nearby they’d take the same route home…..she reckoned he was following her and was ‘creepy’………….…….:rofl2br:

He’s now has a well paid job working for the local council. He’s no dunce.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

He was in the same year at school with my daughter and as we lived nearby they’d take the same route home…..she reckoned he was following her and was ‘creepy’………….…….:rofl2br:

He’s now has a well paid job working for the local council. He’s no dunce.

He's the ONE ,then .

46 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

If we had won 7-0 to win promotion on the last day of the season, I'm not sure I'd be spending the next morning on the 15ers forum, but each to their own I suppose :dunno:

Due to health issues, I'm knackered after yesterday, so the internet is my only form of entertainment today.  I've read everything else, so had to resort to scraping the bottom of the barrell.  

33 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hmmm, Barton (convicted crim) and Swan (banned in the 60's for bribery) , no , obviously nothing to see here !

They can't even do corruption or throw a game properly :whistle2:

image.png.19df58c21ea7fb94272355e31684752d.png

12 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

.07 less than than before- deplorable :)

Go on any forum towards the end of the season and you will read posts saying 'put the kids in'. Scunthorpe have been shit all season. A very poor side met a very good side yesterday , thats all that happened.

I honestly didn't know you were playing Scunthorpe yesterday, had one ear on the build up and caught a bit about them playing a young weak side. My first thought was, unless it was against a team going nowhere, in a dead rubber, then it is against the integrity of the League. 
All well and good doing it in the wind down when already relegated, but for a lot of teams that last game is for all the marbles. IMO the EFL should have had a word with them. End of Feb they took a point off of Northampton, there is a bit of a difference to the side then and yesterday. While not against the rules as such, surely against the principle and spirit of the competition.

1061635378_Screenshot2022-05-08at13_09_21.png.77459a4c22a6819aab805a36b048aab5.png

Yesterday

70507490_Screenshot2022-05-08at13_09_30.png.f66ac118beecaddfd6009ce8df3d3cdd.png

in the time between games, Scunthorpe went from about a goal a game conceded , to 3 goals a game over that period. 
That has to be the dictionary description of throwing in the towel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Due to health issues, I'm knackered after yesterday, so the internet is my only form of entertainment today.  I've read everything else, so had to resort to scraping the bottom of the barrell.  

I for one applaud your achievements this season. You can only play against what's put in front of you and Rovers did that and won through. 

Some on here just cannot say the words "well done".  I've an inkling some on here  may be becoming a teeny bit worried about the gap in the future. Although they won't admit it.

Make no mistake though, next season will be tough for you. Oh and "well done". 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I openly gave them credit yesterday as others have said you can only beat what is in front of you. I do question from a Northampton perspective whether Bristol Rovers were given an adavantage with the young inexperienced team Scunthorpe put out plus finishing their game several minutes after the final whistle at Barrow.   

I would point out btw, Rovers didn't just get promoted because of the win yesterday. They have been absolutely outstanding this year, quite possibly the best footballing Rovers team I have seen in my 49 seasons of watching. We are light years behind City in terms of infrastructure and probably a good distance behind you on the pitch-,although I seriously would give the team yesterday a good chance of beating anyone in a one off.

There was no conspiracy or untowardness yesterday, just a very good team getting a fully deserved promotion. Sometimes you just have to say 'fair play', although I get that many would just want to think it rather than say it out loud!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would point out btw, Rovers didn't just get promoted because of the win yesterday. They have been absolutely outstanding this year, quite possibly the best footballing Rovers team I have seen in my 49 seasons of watching. We are light years behind City in terms of infrastructure and probably a good distance behind you on the pitch-,although I seriously would give the team yesterday a good chance of beating anyone in a one off.

There was no conspiracy or untowardness yesterday, just a very good team getting a fully deserved promotion. Sometimes you just have to say 'fair play', although I get that many would just want to think it rather than say it out loud!

I haven't queried the integrity of Bristol Rovers FC even though I hate your manager and yes you went on a fantastic run to put yourself in a position to gain promotion on the last day of the season depending on other results.

Edited by Shaun Taylor

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would just like to make it clear, Rovers probably did deserve it, I don’t want to detract from it. But personally I think Scunthorpe throwing it could be possible, though not necessarily likely.

10 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I guess the bottom line is that for many of us, there isn’t that much to say “fair play” for. 

The drama of all those late goals I think sugar coats the reality of the situation… 3rd place in the bottom tier puts you back exactly where you were 12 months ago. You steamrollered a side that probably wouldn’t even compete in the national league, after a year of playing the likes of Crawley, Harrogate and Barrow. None of this makes you a “very good team” and in my eyes, you’ve achieved little of note. You’re simply better than a bunch of very very small clubs.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

The pitch invasion was not a help, we had the momentum at that time, and I'm sure that we would have gone on to score an 8th without the interruption in play, whereas Scunthorpe appeared to have re-grouped when play re-started and the worry was that they would score.  Bit rich you mentioning this, remember Coventry v City in the 1970's?

Scunthorpe have been playing younger players for several games, Mansfield beat them 4-0 and I didn't hear anybody complaining about their line-up, although Mansfield were also involved in the hunt for an automatic place. 

Still, everybody loves a conspiracy theory.  

Yes, I remember Coventry. I was there! Knowing the Sunderland result didn’t help us: I’m sure we would have gone on the score a third if the result hadn’t been announced and Coventry sat back to defend the point they needed. ?

And anyway, why do you need to ask that - I actually mentioned it in the post you’ve just responded to!

If we’re going back in time, do you remember Bradford Park Avenue in 1963? 

Oh, and I’ve already acknowledged elsewhere that a ‘full strength’ Scunthorpe side might just as likely have lost 7-0. 

Edited by italian dave

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

How do you see next season going, what with a lot of your team OOC and the loan players going back to their respective clubs etc.

5 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

When JB took over they were near the bottom and he said he would take them up ….I said at the time that if he did I’d eat my car …:facepalm: …anyone got a knife n fork? 

As much as it pains me to say it …well done to him and the horse punchers .

He didn't take them over when they were near the bottom of League Two, they were in the League he just got them promoted to after taking them down (when outside of the relegation places by 8 points I think).

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You do realise who you have actually been playing against this year don't you? You do realise it is/was the bottom League? You do realise how many players were brought in? You do realise you were second favs to win the bloody thing don't you? 

I just cannot understand where, or even why, all of this nonsense comes from. I have mates who said "Joey is special (no jokes here) and building us to do great things", and talking of promotion next season. Now you may well be better than you were 12 months ago, which isn't too difficult, but jeez get some perspective on what has actually been achieved - a League Two promotion!! Now if you do extremely well next season and Barton hasn't got sacked if he gets a guilty verdict, then maybe he is do something right, but to listen to some of the nonsense over the last few months from my Gas mates has truly been laughable.  

• Like 1

The people on this thread implying it was rigged, it's not a good look you numpties! All you're doing is providing the sags with ammunition when it will evidently come out that the game wasn't rigged.

Shocker: Rovers signed a Scunthorpe player when they were 17th! Considering Scunthorpe have played with their kids for a number of games, the insinuation that it's dodgy despite the fact that they've played like this for many games is just a bad look. Rovers came from 3-1 behind to win 4-3 away at Rochdale last week; yet no Rochdale players signed for Rovers with a promotion clause, which let's be honest is probably peanuts it's the gas after all.

The fact is, it's a bad look for many people to be saying "it was rigged!" because what they should be saying is we don't give a ****. They finished below a club whose literal thing is they are the "vegan" club. We're clear of them

• Like 1