IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

25 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

:) That's not what I said though is it? The City wannabe said they will get more in their ground next season, and I simply asked how many points would they get for that. Then it went off on the strangest of tangents :)

Oy! It’s our forum. We’ll decide what tangents it can go off at, and whether they’re strange, or strange enough for  people to get upset by them. And believe me we have a penchant for strange tangents. ??

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The gap is closer than it was this time yesterday.

A gashead buddy sent me this yesterday evening  - “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

He reckoned the meaning could have applied the gas and Northampton. Great comparison I thought.

In case anyone didn’t recognise it - it’s the opening paragraph of a Tale of two Cities by Charles Dickens.

5 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

If my mate ever sent me that he'd be getting a slap.

its not mate its buddy.......**** em

Credit where credit's due, considering their history coming from non league (Hitler saved them the last time) having to put up with a shady Chelsea supporting owner who wanted Gillingham first, who keeps harping on about a new ground yet turned down UWE, finishing third in the basement league is a major achievement. When's the open top bus tour being announced?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A gashead buddy sent me this yesterday evening  - “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

He reckoned the meaning could have applied the gas and Northampton. Great comparison I thought.

In case anyone didn’t recognise it - it’s the opening paragraph of a Tale of two Cities by Charles Dickens.

It’s a load of horseshit that has **** all to do with football.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Knowing a few Northampton fans, they are of course gutted, but strangely nuanced about it.

They have been aiming for the play offs for ages. Even last weekend, although they finished third they still considered themselves outsiders. Both Port Vale and Mansfield could go above them if they won mid week, and they could be as low as fifth going in to the last weekend. The long shot happened and both Mansfield and Port Vale lost, and is was suddenly, ‘good grief, we are third going in to the last day’! 

For Rovers at the end of last weekend it seemed there was far to many stars needing to align for them to go up automatically. Of course, they did. Incredible really.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

On the pitch the ‘gap’ is exactly the same as it was 12 months ago before they widened it by finishing rock bottom of L1.

Off the pitch the gap has never been bigger....no matter what you or your strange mates think.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

As annoying as it is, I have never been a fan of the idea that clubs should be stopped from putting out a "weakened" team. They have the players on the books, it's up to them who they put out for a match.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of “weakened teams” when it affects others, it seems disrespectful and selfish to me. But I recognise that it’s pretty much impossible to legislate for. And it’s also very subjective, who’s to say that a “full strength” Scunthorpe side made up of older players, already down, possibly leaving the club, and minds very much elsewhere should have done any better.

But I do think that the issue of the promotion sell on clause is a different matter and is something the EFL need to have a look at. And in all seriousness, I’m not saying that just because of this particular instance - if indeed it’s even true. I’ve seen nothing more than a few tweets so far. But it has highlighted that it’s a questionable principle and that it can end up giving a very clear impression of wrong-doing, whether that’s justified or not. 

23 minutes ago, cityexile said:

For Rovers at the end of last weekend it seemed there was far to many stars needing to align for them to go up automatically. Of course, they did. Incredible really.

Let’s not bullshit for them.

All they had to do was better Northampton’s result...Rovers at home to a team already relegated who had sold them a player in January with promotion bonus clause in the deal and Northampton away to Barrow.

If the stars needed to align that much they wouldn’t have been 1/1 to get promoted with Bet365 last week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

best fan base on the planet you know 

D3E4B6D9-6181-4B19-9C58-4D69E93D81D0.jpeg

Best at ...

1. Delaying the end of games so they get an unfair advantage (possibly taken that title from us and Coventry)

2. Swearing on Radio Bristol post match

3. Having a manager with

(a) two criminal convictions for violent offences

(b) a suspended crimninal trial

4. Tents

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

God you chat some shit 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

Congrats on having a higher avg than us for only the second time since we’ve been back in the league? Where were your loyal when we were getting 9k in league 1 in 16/17 and 17/18 and you avgd 7k and 6.3k? 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-rovers/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2455

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/swindon-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/352

Gas up, still Barton down for me. 

Two words Lee Power 

• Like 1

I think you'll find that after some initial success the main protagonist gets caught out and decapitated, in that book.

Here's hoping.... ?

FTG

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I bet the drive down to Wembley was fun

• Haha 3

“For your popular rumour, unlike the rolling stone of the proverb, is one which gathers a deal of moss in its wanderings up and down”.  The Old Curiosity Shop. 

Dickens on the transfer forum? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

When JB took over they were near the bottom and he said he would take them up ….I said at the time that if he did I’d eat my car …:facepalm: …anyone got a knife n fork? 

As much as it pains me to say it …well done to him and the horse punchers .

Well, before you cover your car in HP (other condiments are available if you paid with cash), just remember he is technically promotion neutral.

He did relegate then as well, but he didn't want ownership of that.

But the fewers will forget that, just like they did when the dog botherer took them to non league.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Best at ...

1. Delaying the end of games so they get an unfair advantage (possibly taken that title from us and Coventry)

2. Swearing on Radio Bristol post match

3. Having a manager with

(a) two criminal convictions for violent offences

(b) a suspended crimninal trial

4. Tents

5. Ground stealing

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Is it me or do the pictures of their fans on the pitch show they have an ageing fan base with not many younger supporters?

I would say so. I live in Wiltshire and the majority of Bristol Rovers fans I know of are 50+. A lot more younger Bristol City fans around this area.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Add to that, the pitch invasion meant that they were able to play out the last 15 minutes knowing exactly what they needed to do. So could sit back and just focus on defending their lead, and stopping Scunthorpe Babes from scoring, rather than going for an eighth and risking conceding from a breakaway.

Still, if there’s a plus it will mean we don’t keep getting “Coventry” thrown at us (decades after the event) any longer, since the G** have engineered something very similar them selves now. 

The pitch invasion was not a help, we had the momentum at that time, and I'm sure that we would have gone on to score an 8th without the interruption in play, whereas Scunthorpe appeared to have re-grouped when play re-started and the worry was that they would score.  Bit rich you mentioning this, remember Coventry v City in the 1970's?

Scunthorpe have been playing younger players for several games, Mansfield beat them 4-0 and I didn't hear anybody complaining about their line-up, although Mansfield were also involved in the hunt for an automatic place. 

Still, everybody loves a conspiracy theory.