IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I will say ‘well done’ as it’s a great achievement from where they were to where they finished the season. That said I don’t necessarily wish them well for the coming season.

They are celebrating getting promoted from League Two, I can’t say I even remember playing at that low a level and certainly can’t remember playing a lot of the teams they faced this season. League One will be a better guague of exactly how well they compare as I’m fimiliar with most teams they will be facing. 

The only time I will say well done is if they do something they haven't done since 1990 and that is gain promotion to the Championship which has been allusive to them since 1993. A long time. 

If they manage to win Promotion from League 1 which imo is considerably harder to win promotion from than League 2 I will say fair play to Rovers. Providing we are still in the Championship at that point too (probably will be) I will also say bring it on. 

It's all well and good being cocky for beating the likes of Barrow, Stevenage, Rochdale and a woeful Scunthorpe team but League 1 is where some real big clubs are and anything above that is a real serious competition.

You don't have to be that good to win promotion from League 2 and no that isn't out of bitterness towards Rovers in the slightest as some really small clubs have done it quite often.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

The people on this thread implying it was rigged, it's not a good look you numpties! All you're doing is providing the sags with ammunition when it will evidently come out that the game wasn't rigged.

Shocker: Rovers signed a Scunthorpe player when they were 17th! Considering Scunthorpe have played with their kids for a number of games, the insinuation that it's dodgy despite the fact that they've played like this for many games is just a bad look. Rovers came from 3-1 behind to win 4-3 away at Rochdale last week; yet no Rochdale players signed for Rovers with a promotion clause, which let's be honest is probably peanuts it's the gas after all.

The fact is, it's a bad look for many people to be saying "it was rigged!" because what they should be saying is we don't give a ****. They finished below a club whose literal thing is they are the "vegan" club. We're clear of them

Yes, I personally don’t think there’s anything remotely iffy about Scunthorpe fielding a ridiculously weak side when promotion for Rovers would benefit the Iron financially...no siree!  ? 

Perhaps this is just the football Gods trying to even things out a little bit for taking the piss out of them so badly on 3/5/2014? ?

Who knows? 

Personally I don’t particularly care that Rovers are back where they were 12 months ago despite what the Gas sympathisers on here think. I’m only surprised they didn’t do it more convincingly considering the players Wife beat...I mean Joey was allowed to bring in.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, TheReds said:

He didn't take them over when they were near the bottom of League Two, they were in the League he just got them promoted to after taking them down (when outside of the relegation places by 8 points I think).

You do realise who you have actually been playing against this year don't you? You do realise it is/was the bottom League? You do realise how many players were brought in? You do realise you were second favs to win the bloody thing don't you? 

I just cannot understand where, or even why, all of this nonsense comes from. I have mates who said "Joey is special (no jokes here) and building us to do great things", and talking of promotion next season. Now you may well be better than you were 12 months ago, which isn't too difficult, but jeez get some perspective on what has actually been achieved - a League Two promotion!! Now if you do extremely well next season and Barton hasn't got sacked if he gets a guilty verdict, then maybe he is do something right, but to listen to some of the nonsense over the last few months from my Gas mates has truly been laughable.  

the best one i have read all day, could not have put this better sir. They are miles behind us on and off the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes, I personally don’t think there’s anything remotely iffy about Scunthorpe fielding a ridiculously weak side when promotion for Rovers would benefit the Iron financially...no siree  ? 

Who knows? 

Personally I don’t particularly care that Rovers are back where they were 12 months ago despite what the Gas sympathisers on here think. I’m only surprised they didn’t do it more convincingly considering the players Wife beat...I mean Joey was allowed to bring in.

They started this multiple games ago though? I'd agree if it was suddenly for this one game, but it's been for multiple games. Plus the promotion clause will most likely only be enough to buy a burger and chips at the local 

Come on boys & girls, let Rovers have their moment of glory without all the conspiracy crap. There's been enough of that from the usual knobheads on the Corona Virus thread.  Credit where credit is due to Rovers and Barton (who I still despise) but they have achieved what they have by winning games. Go and enjoy the sunshine with a cool pint of your favorite tipple, forget about the Gas and enjoy the close season.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would point out btw, Rovers didn't just get promoted because of the win yesterday. They have been absolutely outstanding this year, quite possibly the best footballing Rovers team I have seen in my 49 seasons of watching. We are light years behind City in terms of infrastructure and probably a good distance behind you on the pitch-,although I seriously would give the team yesterday a good chance of beating anyone in a one off.

There was no conspiracy or untowardness yesterday, just a very good team getting a fully deserved promotion. Sometimes you just have to say 'fair play', although I get that many would just want to think it rather than say it out loud!

fair play miah you always seem level headed and to be fair you done what needed to be done, but im sure you know the hard work starts over the summer. Can i ask how good is the lad form Newcastle from what i have seen in highlights since he came in he looks quality and scores from everywhere.

31 minutes ago, TheReds said:

He didn't take them over when they were near the bottom of League Two, they were in the League he just got them promoted to after taking them down (when outside of the relegation places by 8 points I think).

You do realise who you have actually been playing against this year don't you? You do realise it is/was the bottom League? You do realise how many players were brought in? You do realise you were second favs to win the bloody thing don't you? 

I just cannot understand where, or even why, all of this nonsense comes from. I have mates who said "Joey is special (no jokes here) and building us to do great things", and talking of promotion next season. Now you may well be better than you were 12 months ago, which isn't too difficult, but jeez get some perspective on what has actually been achieved - a League Two promotion!! Now if you do extremely well next season and Barton hasn't got sacked if he gets a guilty verdict, then maybe he is do something right, but to listen to some of the nonsense over the last few months from my Gas mates has truly been laughable.  

Obviously I realise all of this, but quite what that has to do with what I said I have no idea. A good team is a good team, regardless of division. I'm not saying we would beat Real Madrid, but we are- or were- a 4th division team and in that context we are a good team.  Were Terry Coopers team, or Steve Cotterell's team not good sides? Your Gas mates maybe talking of a second promotion, I certainly haven't been.

2 minutes ago, big dosser said:

fair play miah you always seem level headed and to be fair you done what needed to be done, but im sure you know the hard work starts over the summer. Can i ask how good is the lad form Newcastle from what i have seen in highlights since he came in he looks quality and scores from everywhere.

He has been outstanding, we simply will not be able to replace him with a player of similar quality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Obviously I realise all of this, but quite what that has to do with what I said I have no idea. A good team is a good team, regardless of division. I'm not saying we would beat Real Madrid, but we are- or were- a 4th division team and in that context we are a good team.  Were Terry Coopers team, or Steve Cotterell's team not good sides? Your Gas mates maybe talking of a second promotion, I certainly haven't been.

He has been outstanding, we simply will not be able to replace him with a player of similar quality.

do you think he is championship standard?do you think you will keep him for next year

12 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

OK, ***** like you can **** off because most on ere hate the scum. I ****** hate the *****?
Excuse my spelling as I’ve been on the piss all nite and quite frankly I hate the *****.
CSF1984. Happy clappers can **** off you *****

I recognise you. You are Matty Taylor and I claim my £5. 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

They started this multiple games ago though? I'd agree if it was suddenly for this one game, but it's been for multiple games. Plus the promotion clause will most likely only be enough to buy a burger and chips at the local 

Its not going to be millions, it’s probably not much at all...but then how much of a financial hit do clubs take when they drop out of the league? Even £10k would come in handy.

Just for record I’m not saying I think the game was rigged. All I’m saying is that I can understand why people are suspicious. Looking at Social Media there are MANY people out there...including Scunthorpe fans, who think it’s dodgy.

• Like 2

Just now, big dosser said:

do you think he is championship standard?do you think you will keep him for next year

Newcastle have pretty much already said no. Apparently- Howe has said he want's him at Championship level, while others in the Newcastle back room staff have said he is ready for the first team.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would point out btw, Rovers didn't just get promoted because of the win yesterday. They have been absolutely outstanding this year,

No, not because of that one game, but it did all come down to that one game. 

There was no conspiracy or untowardness yesterday, just a very good team getting a fully deserved promotion.

As I said, if I were Northampton I'd really question it. If there is a promotion clause (not unheard of) and they ended up playing an U21 side deliberately then there are questions I'd expect them to want answered. Nothing to say your lot had anything to do with that, unless there were conversations which would be impossible to prove .
But it makes for a great conspiracy.
Northampton drop points at a full strength Scunthorpe in Feb.
They go to the Mem a month later and ship 5 in the 2nd half with a virtual academy side.
Rumours of the clause leak out.
Given any sides in that position , I'd be questioning everything. 

Sometimes you just have to say 'fair play', although I get that many would just want to think it rather than say it out loud!

You've had a good run, in a poor Division, gets harder next year.

I'll leave you with this ....

1942261445_Screenshot2022-05-08at14_43_25.png.e59a8fb96499e1113ac7dbecd917ab57.png

• Haha 16

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rovers getting my promoted hasn’t pissed me off as much as the reaction by City fans has. 
Unbelievable the amount of well-wishes I’m seeing on here. 
You wouldn’t get any such praise for their rivals getting promoted if it was Celtic/Rangers, Sheff Utd/Weds, Villa/Brum, Newcastle/Sunderland, Southampton/Portsmouth, West Ham/Millwall, etc etc etc. 

I put it down to the fact they’ve been below us for so long that some people forget how much of a horrible club they are. I don’t. They’re a horrible club and I do not wish them well and I will not congratulate them for being the third best team in the lowest division in football. Bollox to them! 
I’m astounded at the amount of City fans dishing out praise. 

Some people grow out of hating a team just because they are from the same city as you and wear different colours, others don't. Sorry if that leaves you feeling "pissed off" but i'd suggest there are far more important things in life to get irate about than football fans offering well-wishes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yes, I remember Coventry. I was there! Knowing the Sunderland result didn’t help us: I’m sure we would have gone on the score a third if the result hadn’t been announced and Coventry sat back to defend the point they needed. ?

And anyway, why do you need to ask that - I actually mentioned it in the post you’ve just responded to!

If we’re going back in time, do you remember Bradford Park Avenue in 1963? 

Oh, and I’ve already acknowledged elsewhere that a ‘full strength’ Scunthorpe side might just as likely have lost 7-0. 

Apologies - @slartibartfast is right, I'm getting a bit chopsy lately! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rovers getting my promoted hasn’t pissed me off as much as the reaction by City fans has. 
You wouldn’t get any such praise for their rivals getting promoted if it was Celtic/Rangers, Sheff Utd/Weds, Villa/Brum, Newcastle/Sunderland, Southampton/Portsmouth, West Ham/Millwall, etc etc etc. 

I put it down to the fact they’ve been below us for so long that some people forget how much of a horrible club they are. I don’t. They’re a horrible club and I do not wish them well and I will not congratulate them for being the third best team in the lowest division in football. Bollox to them! 

Spot on mate. It’s like the absolute clowns in the Atyeo that clapped that vile piece of shit Holloway. Baffles me. 
As you said bollox to them. Promotion out of the basement division is hardly an achievement. I sincerely hope they are relegated next season!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

People need to wind their necks back in, it’s our right to call Rovers tinpot any way we like 

Edited by Sturny

42 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Some people grow out of hating a team just because they are from the same city as you and wear different colours, others don't. Sorry if that leaves you feeling "pissed off" but i'd suggest there are far more important things in life to get irate about than football fans offering well-wishes

Grow out of it as much as you want. I won’t. They’re horrible and I hate them passionately. 
Doesn’t affect my life, I can still have thoughts about “more important things in life”, but I’ll always hate them and will never grow out of it like it was some kind of childish fad. 
I’m amazed by the amount of public well wishing. Modern softening of society I guess - people feel like they have to be ‘seen’ to be doing the right thing. Can’t be displaying any toxic masculinity, must be equitable to all. Bollox to that. They’re horrible. And I won’t ever forget that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

You are so bitter I don't like them I want them to lose every week but I don't hate them  

My Dad supported Rovers all his life if we hadn't have lived in Knowle West I could of supported them.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Grow out of it as much as you want. I won’t. They’re horrible and I hate them passionately. 
Doesn’t affect my life, I can still have thoughts about “more important things in life”, but I’ll always hate them and will never grow out of it like it was some kind of childish fad. 
I’m amazed by the amount of public well wishing. Modern softening of society I guess - people feel like they have to be ‘seen’ to be doing the right thing. Can’t be displaying any toxic masculinity, must be equitable to all. Bollox to that. They’re horrible. And I won’t ever forget that. 

I'm guessing you don't like them H !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would point out btw, Rovers didn't just get promoted because of the win yesterday. They have been absolutely outstanding this year, quite possibly the best footballing Rovers team I have seen in my 49 seasons of watching. We are light years behind City in terms of infrastructure and probably a good distance behind you on the pitch-,although I seriously would give the team yesterday a good chance of beating anyone in a one off.

There was no conspiracy or untowardness yesterday, just a very good team getting a fully deserved promotion. Sometimes you just have to say 'fair play', although I get that many would just want to think it rather than say it out loud!

Calm down pal. You’ve been playing in League 2 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

You are so bitter I don't like them I want them to lose every week but I don't hate them  

My Dad supported Rovers all his life if we hadn't have lived in Knowle West I could of supported them.

Why bitter? I hate them whether they win or lose. That’s not bitter. Bitter would be if I only hated them when they win. 
Listen, I’ve met plenty of rovers fans in my life too. A few of them are ok and I have some mates who are gas. I’m perfectly capable of separating my feeling for my friends from my feelings towards that horrible football club. 
I’m sure everyone on here has a gas mate. Makes no difference. I still hate the football club they support. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Its not going to be millions, it’s probably not much at all...but then how much of a financial hit do clubs take when they drop out of the league? Even £10k would come in handy.

Just for record I’m not saying I think the game was rigged. All I’m saying is that I can understand why people are suspicious. Looking at Social Media there are MANY people out there...including Scunthorpe fans, who think it’s dodgy.

Yes, from What I’ve read it’s far from just City fans suggesting it was a put-up job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

Absolutely on the money this post. Couldn’t have put it better myself 

They really are morons. I seen one person send a video to Tinnion on Twitter saying “what gap Brian? What gap?” - obviously a friend but still…

The best one I seen was a woman who said they were currently the best ‘team’ in the South West . I had to remind her that they came third, and the two clubs above them were also from the South West 

The ‘Joey’ love in from those cretins is just as laughable. They all wanted him out 6 months ago when he got nicked for beating his wife up. They didn’t want to be associated with a ‘woman beater ‘ as they would have everyone believe they had morals 

Now that’s all conveniently been forgotten . Even their #HerGameTo mob have suddenly come down with a severe case of amnesia 

• Like 2