IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

They have at least 2 loans from higher leagues, one of whom is a star in the making. If they dont get someone in to replace them to make a similar impact then its going to be a rough struggle next season!

I wonder if, given the sags are at a higher level now, would Newcastle give him a season in L1?

Obviously, I hope not as he looks some player.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I wonder if, given the sags are at a higher level now, would Newcastle give him a season in L1?

No they will want Championship football next year for sure. There will be plenty of takers I would imagine after his performances this year 

God I would love to sign him on loan ha. Imagine the meltdown 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Is there any reason you still force away fans to sit on seats that are wet because you won't build a roof?

Keep up we have planning permission for a roof to commence the end of next season. Let's not not forget you're given 1200 seats in the Arkells to keep you out of the elements. What did you give us 700 in total and you still never sold out?

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Haven’t called anyone out. Just said that I find it odd that people are wishing them well. Not bitter, just don’t like them and never will and don’t understand the mini love in. 

I’m perfectly chilled and have had a lovely day thank you. 
Just don’t understand the love in. 

Its not a love in it called friendship.

I

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Keep up we have planning permission for a roof to commence the end of next season. Let's not not forget you're given 1200 seats in the Arkells to keep you out of the elements. What did you give us 700 in total and you still never sold out?

You’re getting a roof in 2023……and you’re telling others to ‘keep up’? ????

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Its not a love in it called friendship.

I

As I said elsewhere. I have gas heads who are friends. I can have a friendship with them. Doesn’t mean I wish their football team well. I despise their football team. It is possible to separate the two. 
I can like person A but still despise their football team. 
I can dislike person B who could even be a City fan. 
Having a friend or family member who is a gas head is no excuse for wishing their horrible football club well. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

No chance - he definitely needs Championship football, Millwall seem to be the favourites to get him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Is there any reason you still force away fans to sit on seats that are wet because you won't build a roof?

That's like taking the mick out of someone for living in a grotty rundown top floor council tower block, whilst sleeping on the street in a cardboard box ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Haven’t called anyone out. Just said that I find it odd that people are wishing them well. Not bitter, just don’t like them and never will and don’t understand the mini love in. 

I’m perfectly chilled and have had a lovely day thank you. 
Just don’t understand the love in. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

As I said elsewhere. I have gas heads who are friends. I can have a friendship with them. Doesn’t mean I wish their football team well. I despise their football team. It is possible to separate the two. 
I can like person A but still despise their football team. 
I can dislike person B who could even be a City fan. 
Having a friend or family member who is a gas head is no excuse for wishing their horrible football club well. 

I'm going to try to put a bit of perspective to this debate, so here are my thoughts on the subject......

I don't like their club, never have. I have some good mates who are Gasheads who are great blokes. They just happen to support a shit, vile and nasty little club with other supporters who are equally as vile (especially some of those in their 50's who are literally riddled with jealousy and envy when it comes to City and remember City's time in the top flight). 

If like me you supported City through the 80's and had to put up with their constant jibes about 1982 and watched Rovers approach to derby matches during the late 80's (park the bus, try to break Dave Smith's legs on numerous occasions etc and somehow walk away with 3 points. Watch ******* like Holloway laughing his head off at small kids wearing City shirts when they were upset after the game) then you would understand why there is so much hatred for their tinpot scummy club.

However, Rovers winning promotion on the final day with such a massive goal swing and considering that they climbed the league from being 17th near Christmas is quite a remarkable achievement (for any club). That said, the first thing that comes to mind on such a momentous occasion for them is to proclaim that they are 'Coming for Bristol City' and attempt to paint the town blue and try to rub our faces in it. They are goading and looking for a reaction from the gurt Ted's to somehow confirm to them how much their promotion has 'hurt us'.

Now here's the thing.....They want us to say things like 'we're not bothered' and '**** the gas' etc because in their minds they will think that it means that we are indeed bitter and hurting. The best thing to do in this situation is to do quite the opposite and in fact congratulate them on their achievement and here is why.......They could never wear red or congratulate us on anything (ever) because they are riddled with envy and jealousy and usually react with bitterness, contempt and in other cases with anger and they are expecting us to react the same way. By congratulating them it goes to show how insignificant their achievements are, and shows that we are not riddled with envy and jealousy (which we aren't).

Let's look at it for what it is.....If City had been promoted from Division 4 we would have felt a sense of relief. Remember, we were promoted from Division 4 when we were on our ass as a club, we literally had **** all but somehow we managed to scramble out of Division 4 within 2 seasons.

On Saturday Rovers finished in 3rd place to get out of Division 4. With their outpourings of joy you would have thought that they had qualified for the Champions League. This is the bar that they have set themselves. They are overjoyed at finishing 3rd in Division 4 and no doubt they will be planning the Open Top Bus Tour of Kingswood to mark this glorious achievement within the next week or so. As City fans we would be relieved to have got out of the basement, not celebrate it with a parade. For us, being in Division 4 would feel like the pits and a disgrace. Gasheads have celebrated it to the fullest. It's laughable. It's a ******* joke. It's Tinpot. 

Let it sink in that they are overjoyed at finishing 3rd in Division 4 two places below the League Champions who are a village club from Nailsworth and who not so long ago were playing in the same league as Yate, Patchway, St George, Cadbury Heath and Hanham. So yeah, why not congratulate them if being that insignificant means SO MUCH to them. I've said well done to them, but inside I am laughing my ******* head off at how Tinpot they are and at how much it means to them.

Hopefully reality will kick in for them next year and the Wael's will fall off their caravan.

It won't be long before they crash back into Division 4. They might survive a year or so, but sustaining League One football in that shit pit isn't viable longer term.

It's certainly no 'love-in' being happy for them. It's more of a 'There, there, well done my little insignificant Tinpot friends'.

Yeah, Congratulations Rovers, Congratulations.......??? 3RD IN DIVISION 4 ??? ?

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

Just now, 2015 said:

How long do we give it until there is a column by Ian Holloway in the Bristol Post claiming that Promotion for Rovers is good for both Bristol clubs? 

Oh yeah. He probably can't wait to try and rub it in. Mr Anger Management problem. Typical Gashead.

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

How long do we give it until there is a column by Ian Holloway in the Bristol Post claiming that Promotion for Rovers is good for both Bristol clubs? 

Surprised that it isn't on there already! I've lost track of what colour his blood is, blue, green, tangerine ...... ?

4 hours ago, TheReds said:

Many fans were against the signing, and tbf many Rovers fans were against Barton becoming manager. The main difference being that many players have been charged with many things over the years, and in my opinion it is certainly different than employing a convicted criminal to be your manager, who is basically the public face of your club. He had already been done multiple times for violence, banged up, fighting on a stag do on a beach wasn't it, stubbing a cigar in a younger players eye, and he also had the Barnsley manager case already hanging over him (pretty obvious what happened there to all), multiple red cards and bans for violence, just to name a few.

Yet after all of that your owner with (who must have had some sort of amnesia when he appointed him), then comes out with the beauty "we stand firmly against any form of violence" and anyone convicted of such offences "would be dismissed immediately". 

Dont forget banned for 18 months for placing bets on football matches

Saw a fair few "out of the closet" tesco baggers around in the sun yesterday. Obviously been in hibernation for a few decades. 

Once the hangovers have gone, the harsh reality of Lg 1 will kick in. As someone else said - the Mem is no where near sustainable for a Lg 1 team. They will be back into Lg 2 again in the foreseeable. All the weekend has done is give them a bit of hope, and that makes the inevitable disaster around the corner even funnier.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yeah, but that’s just what they do at the Rovers. Been at it since 1963.

Ha! There used to be a poster on here called Esmond Millions Bung. Not heard anything from him in a long time - it's not you is it?

21 hours ago, Harry said:

Rovers getting my promoted hasn’t pissed me off as much as the reaction by City fans has. 
Unbelievable the amount of well-wishes I’m seeing on here. 
You wouldn’t get any such praise for their rivals getting promoted if it was Celtic/Rangers, Sheff Utd/Weds, Villa/Brum, Newcastle/Sunderland, Southampton/Portsmouth, West Ham/Millwall, etc etc etc. 

I put it down to the fact they’ve been below us for so long that some people forget how much of a horrible club they are. I don’t. They’re a horrible club and I do not wish them well and I will not congratulate them for being the third best team in the lowest division in football. Bollox to them! 
I’m astounded at the amount of City fans dishing out praise. 

Some of us have never seen them as a proper rival though. I've never lived in Bristol, never been to a derby (a because there have been so few in my life time and b because I was on holiday last time we did face them!) and I see them as totally irrelevant. That would of course change if we ended up in the same leagues again and played regularly.

Growing up in Wiltshire I have that level of disdain for Swindon, and to some extent Cardiff. That's because I've been to the games, I've suffered the abuse and "banter", I've felt the emotion - not to mention a couple of scraps and a barrage of piss thrown at us on 2 specific occasions I can recall.

I only know a couple of Rovers fans, and one's a lifelong best mate. We were on a stag do and he actually slept all afternoon so missed the drama ? He was gracious in victory and I was the first to shake his hand and say fair play, especially to overturn a 5-goal swing and win 7-0. I'll be honest, not sure I could do the same for Swindon. I've not messaged any of my Swindon supporting pals to congratulate them for making the playoffs. You would definitely get level headed fans from those clubs you name above exchanging praise - maybe not to every tom dick and harry but to their mates.

Some of the comments on here go from a bit sad to down right pathetic, I'm sure some are said in jest but some probably not. To actually *hate* a person because of the team they support is ******* weird, especially from supposedly grown men (and women).

• Like 4

Northampton have now formally complained to the EFL about Scunthorpe’s team selection.

Bizarre comment from Keith Hill in the Guardian too, basically not wanting to make anything of an allegation their keeper was punched in the 85th minute pitch invasion but going on to say how great Barton & Rovers were.

Very odd.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Saw a fair few "out of the closet" tesco baggers around in the sun yesterday. Obviously been in hibernation for a few decades. 

Once the hangovers have gone, the harsh reality of Lg 1 will kick in. As someone else said - the Mem is no where near sustainable for a Lg 1 team. They will be back into Lg 2 again in the foreseeable. All the weekend has done is give them a bit of hope, and that makes the inevitable disaster around the corner even funnier.

Harsh reality of league 1? All the promoted clubs from league 2 stayed up last season and almost half the clubs there will have smaller budgets than what the gas will have.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Northampton have now formally complained to the EFL about Scunthorpe’s team selection.

Bizarre comment from Keith Hill in the Guardian too, basically not wanting to make anything of an allegation their keeper was punched in the 85th minute pitch invasion but going on to say how great Barton & Rovers were.

Very odd.

Yep, here’s the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/northampton-to-lodge-formal-complaint-to-efl-over-Scunthorpe-selection-bristol-rovers-promotion?CMP=share_btn_tw

I don’t see this going anywhere and, dispassionately, neither should it. Big fine should be incoming for the invasion including the length of it, and that police had to get involved, but aspects such as if the game should have been abandoned or the integrity of scunnies side are probably off the table.

12 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Harsh reality of league 1? All the promoted clubs from league 2 stayed up last season and almost half the clubs there will have smaller budgets than what the gas will have.

Spot on.

Morecambe, Accrington, Cheltenham all stayed up.

Definitely a number coming out the woodwork of late, hadn’t seen anyone in their shit garb for a couple of years but seen a few in the last month, plus a lot of revisionism on the saintly Barton by them, too.