IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, here’s the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/northampton-to-lodge-formal-complaint-to-efl-over-Scunthorpe-selection-bristol-rovers-promotion?CMP=share_btn_tw

I don’t see this going anywhere and, dispassionately, neither should it. Big fine should be incoming for the invasion including the length of it, and that police had to get involved, but aspects such as if the game should have been abandoned or the integrity of scunnies side are probably off the table.

Northampton should have objected when Scunthorpe’s team sheet was read out.  Complaining after they didn’t get auto promotion just looks like what it is, which is sour grapes.  I assume Northampton wouldn’t have complained on behalf of the integrity of the league if Rovers had only won 6-0 against the same team of teenagers?

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, here’s the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/northampton-to-lodge-formal-complaint-to-efl-over-Scunthorpe-selection-bristol-rovers-promotion?CMP=share_btn_tw

I don’t see this going anywhere and, dispassionately, neither should it. Big fine should be incoming for the invasion including the length of it, and that police had to get involved, but aspects such as if the game should have been abandoned or the integrity of scunnies side are probably off the table.

"...named seven teenagers in their starting lineup and four players from their Under-18s side, including 17-year-old first-year scholar goalkeeper Owen Foster. Scunthorpe were relegated last month and finished the season with four wins, one of which was away from home.

Scunthorpe made three changes from their previous game against Hartlepool, with second-year scholar Oliver Lobley, whose own goal gave Rovers the lead at the Memorial Stadium, making his league debut. As at home to Hartlepool, Liam Feeney, 36, and Anthony Grant, 34, started on the substitutes’ bench. The average age of the starting lineup was 20."

Yeh nothing will come from it bar the pitch invasion. Still, quite incredible that you need to score a shedload on the last day of the season and your opponent lines up like that. I can't imagine they would of achived it against pretty much any other team in the league on that day. Northampton can feel rightly annoyed by it but nothing shady has gone on there, Scunny followed the rules.

7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Northampton should have objected when Scunthorpe’s team sheet was read out.  Complaining after they didn’t get auto promotion just looks like what it is, which is sour grapes.  I assume Northampton wouldn’t have complained on behalf of the integrity of the league if Rovers had only won 6-0 against the same team of teenagers?

I’m guessing at 2pm on a match day thinking a win would promote them, their focus just might have been somewhere else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Some of us have never seen them as a proper rival though. I've never lived in Bristol, never been to a derby (a because there have been so few in my life time and b because I was on holiday last time we did face them!) and I see them as totally irrelevant. That would of course change if we ended up in the same leagues again and played regularly.

Growing up in Wiltshire I have that level of disdain for Swindon, and to some extent Cardiff. That's because I've been to the games, I've suffered the abuse and "banter", I've felt the emotion - not to mention a couple of scraps and a barrage of piss thrown at us on 2 specific occasions I can recall.

I only know a couple of Rovers fans, and one's a lifelong best mate. We were on a stag do and he actually slept all afternoon so missed the drama ? He was gracious in victory and I was the first to shake his hand and say fair play, especially to overturn a 5-goal swing and win 7-0. I'll be honest, not sure I could do the same for Swindon. I've not messaged any of my Swindon supporting pals to congratulate them for making the playoffs. You would definitely get level headed fans from those clubs you name above exchanging praise - maybe not to every tom dick and harry but to their mates.

Some of the comments on here go from a bit sad to down right pathetic, I'm sure some are said in jest but some probably not. To actually *hate* a person because of the team they support is ******* weird, especially from supposedly grown men (and women).

I may have missed it but I haven’t seen anyone saying they ‘hate’ any particular individuals because of the team they support. 
I’ve certainly not. 
I hate the football club. And will offer them not a single word of praise. 
Don’t think anyone has said they hate any specific people (believe me, there’s plenty of gas that I’ve met in the past who are absolute *****, but there are also a fair number of city fans I’ve met who are nobs as well). As said, I’m sure we all have gas mates, but we are able to separate friendship and football club. I can like a person but hate their football club. And I will never praise Rovers for anything, regardless of the circumstances of their promotion. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

An in-tents atmosphere?

4 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

An in-tents atmosphere?

Ooh look! Is that a floodlight on a big pole?

I remember those. You still see them at railway sidings.

Edited by AppyDAZE

Like it or not Barton's obviously got something about him.

Also has contacts to bring in ridiculous season changing players on loan.

I want to see Rovers struggle horribly back in div.3. with multiple thrashings so demoralising that they rue the day they got promoted.

I fear though they might be fairly comfortable there under Barton, so the sooner he's off to a bigger club the better imo.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Like it or not Barton's obviously got something about him.

Also has contacts to bring in ridiculous season changing players on loan.

I want to see Rovers struggle horribly back in div.3. with multiple thrashings so demoralising that they rue the day they got promoted.

I fear though they might be fairly comfortable there under Barton, so the sooner he's off to a bigger club the better imo.

Or prison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Northampton have now formally complained to the EFL about Scunthorpe’s team selection.

Bizarre comment from Keith Hill in the Guardian too, basically not wanting to make anything of an allegation their keeper was punched in the 85th minute pitch invasion but going on to say how great Barton & Rovers were.

Very odd.

A lot of Northampton fans aren't bothered about Scunthorpe fielding a load of kids. A season is a marathon, not a sprint and many Northampton fans blame their own inability to have wrapped things up before. Talking of Scunthorpe they are cheesed off that they went there and only came away with a 0-0. It's fine margins in football. Had they gone up to Scunthorpe and came away with the expected victory then Saturday's result wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference to their own promotion hopes.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Some of the comments on here go from a bit sad to down right pathetic, I'm sure some are said in jest but some probably not. To actually *hate* a person because of the team they support is ******* weird, especially from supposedly grown men (and women).

So on one hand you confess you’ve never experienced the rivalry up close and personal but you’re critical over comments from people who have?

On the other hand, whilst criticising others opinions you admit that the thought of congratulating Swindon fans is something you couldn’t do....

As far as I can see nobody has mentioned ‘hating’ any individual people over the club they support?

Why would you say that? 

• Like 4

I was away in Devon when I heard the news, I thought, there has to be something really funny going on for the results to transpire as they did. Well there was, the gods were shining on them. Then I suddenly thought, this is going to be intolerable. We'll have the Post, Points West, HTV all swooning over them for their marvelous achievement, which is usually portrayed as so much more than we ever achieve, I suppose that's the plucky underdogs, or that Rovers supporters demand more exposure and still have simpathysers in high places. I also thought how long until I see one of those tramps wearing a tramps shirt. I didn't have to wait too long, Sunday morning I'm on my way home and stop in Highbridge caravans and, there it was, a tramp wearing a tramps T shirt at 11am in the caravan shop. Spoilt my day.

I will also add that I live in Bristol, yet only know one active Rovers supporter, fortunate you might say. He wasn't going to be able to make a meet with the lads this Wednesday, now he's managed to make the time, surprise, surprise.

• Flames 2

8 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Keep up we have planning permission for a roof to commence the end of next season. Let's not not forget you're given 1200 seats in the Arkells to keep you out of the elements. What did you give us 700 in total and you still never sold out?

Still got promoted though :)

5 hours ago, HoldenBall said:

Fair play to Northampton, it stinks of pure corruption not matter what the gas sympathisers say. 

How do you come to that conclusion?  Scunthorpe have been playing younger players for the last 4 games - has anybody complained?  There is an EFL ruling re. the make-up of teams from March onwards, and Scunthorpe kept within those rules.  The pitch invasion was actually a hinderence, as we had the momentum at that time, and looked very likely to score again - do you honestly think that the sort of morons who ran on actually have the brain capacity to plan something in advance?  The older Rovers fans in that area were trying to stop people running onto the pitch.

Maybe Northampton should look at themselves, why didn't they keep going for it, instead of changing formation to try and protect the scoreline?  I don't blame them for having a go with the complaint, a lot of teams would, it seems to be the culture we live in now - on a personal and professional level.

• Like 1

Not sure R*vers could  have done anything wrong, unless they suggested it, but let have some fun .

1 minute ago, In the Net said:

How do you come to that conclusion?  Scunthorpe have been playing younger players for the last 4 games

I think it's been pointed out. They played a couple of kids a few games ago, a few more the next game and gradually ramped up to about 70% under 12s team.  Great for conspiracy theorists as it looks like it's done deliberately to stay within the rules, technically.

- has anybody complained?

Funny you should ask. I did see that Northampton were contacting the EFL, so maybe them.

There is an EFL ruling re. the make-up of teams from March onwards, and Scunthorpe kept within those rules. 

See above

The pitch invasion was actually a hinderence, as we had the momentum at that time, and looked very likely to score again - do you honestly think that the sort of morons who ran on actually have the brain capacity to plan something in advance?  The older Rovers fans in that area were trying to stop people running onto the pitch.

Maybe Northampton should look at themselves, why didn't they keep going for it, instead of changing formation to try and protect the scoreline?  I don't blame them for having a go with the complaint, a lot of teams would, it seems to be the culture we live in now - on a personal and professional level.

Well, again interesting. At 3-1 and 2-0 there would have to be a massive swing. They naturally assumed that a 7-0 scoreline was extremely rare, they felt safe in having a 5 goal cushion.  This also plays into the conspiracists hands. Because the goals came later and in the second half , it's harder to get the messages through, and harder to change attitude during a game.

It's the integrity of the competition that has been questioned. It is not fair on teams fighting for promotion/playoff/relegation if a team looks like it is just laying down for whatever reason. Nothing is won or lost on one game, but everything is settled by that last game and Scunthorpe played a weak side against a form team. Deliberate or not, for nefarious reasons or not, it stinks. Can you imagine your board just saying, ah well , and moving on ? The mob that wanted to sue another team for them being relegated.  There may be nothing to see, but if I was Northampton I'd be on the phone to the EFL bloody quick.

4 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Watch it they  are coming for us

6 years after they were last stinking up Gloucester Road singing “Bristol City we’re coming for you” they’re back doing the same thing having got nowhere near us last time ?

...and people wonder why this thread exists? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure R*vers could  have done anything wrong, unless they suggested it, but let have some fun .

It's the integrity of the competition that has been questioned. It is not fair on teams fighting for promotion/playoff/relegation if a team looks like it is just laying down for whatever reason. Nothing is won or lost on one game, but everything is settled by that last game and Scunthorpe played a weak side against a form team. Deliberate or not, for nefarious reasons or not, it stinks. Can you imagine your board just saying, ah well , and moving on ? The mob that wanted to sue another team for them being relegated.  There may be nothing to see, but if I was Northampton I'd be on the phone to the EFL bloody quick.

As I said, I don't blame Northampton for looking at a complaint, most clubs would these days.  Teams in the position which Scunthorpe were in have to look after themselves, no doubt some of their better players will be off now they are non-league, and you would expect the manager to want to look at the competence of other players at the club, and identify the priorities regarding which positions need recruitment from elsewhere.  He's been doing this for at least 4 games - were you all up in arms when Mansfield beat them 4-0?  That result affected the promotion race. 

The same situation sometimes happens mid-season, if a team has a big FA Cup tie they will look at resting some crucial players from the preceeding game - if they lose that game it affects where other teams will finish in the table.  It's not all down to the last day.  Where do you draw the line - let the EFL pick the teams for the last month of the season?

On 07/05/2022 at 22:11, BanburyRed said:

**** 'em! Tinpot promotion from tinpot L2 against Scunthorpe U21's. Bottom 3 all next season. Small fish, big pond. Missing row M, patio chairs, 2nd hand tents, wife beating manager, deluded fanbase, fake attendances, out of date crisps and Fanta, 'Doncaster United', head butting minibus windows, Babestation, 'family club'. **** off.

Post of the year ?

1 hour ago, harrys said:

I think Swindon will go up as well, surprised they didn’t go up automatically as they seem a decent side

I missed both our games against them, but apparently they absolutely played us off the park at our place whereas we were the better side n the return. If I was a betting man, I'd be looking at Mansfield to be the ones to go up.

3 minutes ago, In the Net said:

The same situation sometimes happens mid-season, if a team has a big FA Cup tie they will look at resting some crucial players from the preceeding game - if they lose that game it affects where other teams will finish in the table.

Like I said,  one game doesn't get you promoted or relegated. But it wasn't a midseason nothing game and everything was on those games on the final day

It's not all down to the last day.  Where do you draw the line - let the EFL pick the teams for the last month of the season?

Rule is about too many changes, they had a work around by doing it over 4 games ending with ( I think ) 7 academy players. The keeper I understand is a first year academy player playing his 2nd ever game, been a full time pro since April 1st.  5 players total 25 career league games. Others that hadn't played much. The team totalled 149 appearances this season. 

They released the main keeper, may be see the kid as the future, as well as the other 4 from the U18 squad. 
It comes down to a one off game, the rest of the season is done and you needed a 5 goal swing, the rest of the season is immaterial by this time.  In such an important game, it does stink a little.