IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Just a quick look on Twitter the last few days there have been some absolute corkers from those belters 

I’ve seen comments like “best team in the south west at the minute” - only for me to remind them that they came third behind 2 other teams in the south west 

“better then most League 1 teams “

”top 6 next season if we get Anderson back” 

Absolute nuggets the lot of them 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Just a quick look on Twitter the last few days there have been some absolute corkers from those belters 

I’ve seen comments like “best team in the south west at the minute” - only for me to remind them that they came third behind 2 other teams in the south west 

Our U23 team would give them a good game, particularly if we included Scott, Semenyo and HNM, all of whom qualify.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

How could I have possibly forgotten Radio Bristol, with their regular trips to "The Mem" and to see how the "Gas" are getting on. Then on other occasions they'll see if there's any updates from BS3 and Bristol City. It's not cold towards City but, often comes across warm and friendly to the ground stealing family from hell club.

I'm not certain but, I doubt there'd have been the same coverage in Nottingham for County as there is for Forest, equally Port Vale wouldn't get equal coverage as Stoke. I watch local TV news and I am often left wondering who's the team with most support and consistently in the higher division.

As for the ground reference, you can bet your sweet buddy that Marvin's Right hand man and Gashead, Craig Cheney, is beavering away behind the scenes, trying to give developers long leases with peppercorn rents on council owned land. With the promise of easy planning applications as long as they provide a stadium within their plans.

It still irks me that they gave them exactly the same coverage when they were non-league. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Some absolute belters.

Add this one I just saw...

"Not much glory south of the river these days"  :laugh:

Well, nah. Not if you're not counting regular Championship football for the best part of a decade.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s exactly why we have over 2800 pages taking the piss out of them. They can’t help themselves.

Edited by Numero Uno

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Some absolute belters.

Add this one I just saw...

"Not much glory south of the river these days"  :laugh:

Well, nah. Not if you're not counting regular Championship football for the best part of a decade.

For some reason, doing my animal conservation work has brought me into contact with quite a few gasheads - they are obviously strutting about at the minute, huge smiles on their faces and waxing lyrical about a team manager they previously hated and vowed never to support ...

Obviously I’ve waded in with stuff like “wow, you stuffed a combination of the youth team and U18 team of the worst team in the whole league (yep, all 4 divisions) to finish 3rd in division 4” ... and they can’t fathom that, take it in or accept it - I just get grunts of “Bristol City, we’re coming for you”

So I indulge the pathetic pirates and remind them that they’d better ‘come for Exeter, Cheltenham and Forest Green Rovers first’ cos those clubs currently significantly outperform the Sags - again, I get looks of disbelief and utter astonishment as they can’t compute they are simply an insignificant little club in the south west ... 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

For some reason, doing my animal conservation work has brought me into contact with quite a few gasheads - they are obviously strutting about at the minute, huge smiles on their faces and waxing lyrical about a team manager they previously hated and vowed never to support ...

Obviously I’ve waded in with stuff like “wow, you stuffed a combination of the youth team and U18 team of the worst team in the whole league (yep, all 4 divisions) to finish 3rd in division 4” ... and they can’t fathom that, take it in or accept it - I just get grunts of “Bristol City, we’re coming for you”

So I indulge the pathetic pirates and remind them that they’d better ‘come for Exeter, Cheltenham and Forest Green Rovers first’ cos those clubs currently significantly outperform the Sags - again, I get looks of disbelief and utter astonishment as they can’t compute they are simply an insignificant little club in the south west ... 

Are you saving all those poor horses from vicious S*g uppercuts?!

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It still irks me that they gave them exactly the same coverage when they were non-league. 

Its part of the love in they have for the quirky little club. Its the same with non league Yeovil. I can never fathom why they have so much air time apart from BBC Sport Somerset having nothing better to do. Who in Bristol wants to hear on precious air time Yeovil's manager (whoever that is) talking about their match at Billericay? 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Bless ‘em, they are quite delusional, had one of them saying “ you shitheads have never done anything like it, you are so bitter” yes I replied if you discount getting promoted from the division you’ve just scraped into, winning 6-0 away at Bradford and 8-2 against Walsall on the final day, winning the title and also winning the Johnson’s trophy final just for good measure, I suppose we haven’t. 
complete bewildered silence from the daft Herbert. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

They didn't sell out for their most important game of the season (and for many years)

Att. 9,790 with 279 away fans.

I was watching SkySports News and Jeff Stelling was saying how wonderful they were and that they had been averaging nearly 10,000 all season. Jeff said it, so it must be true. 5,000 is very nearly 10,000.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

I was watching SkySports News and Jeff Stelling was saying how wonderful they were and that they had been averaging nearly 10,000 all season. Jeff said it, so it must be true. 5,000 is very nearly 10,000.

Sounds as though they're still using unpaid interns as researchers. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Jeff got it wrong, Gas logic equates as  z(n= x+y)  x being the reported number in the ground, y being a random locked out number and z being any retrospective number applied to substantiate a ridiculous claim (which the sagger could not calculate anyway)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, adamski said:

Jeff got it wrong, Gas logic equates as  z(n= x+y)  x being the reported number in the ground, y being a random locked out number and z being any retrospective number applied to substantiate a ridiculous claim (which the sagger could not calculate anyway)

Don't be so bloody ridiculous man.

x, y and z....hell...even n are all far too far into the alphabet for them to know what they are.

• Haha 1

All really valid points made in the last few days by all of the posters.

The major point or reckoning for the Gas moving into League 1 from my perspective is that really they have no team to start the next season with? They've only signed Belshaw and Hoole to new deals. Evans & Nicholson have refused new contracts and will have better offers i'm sure. 

By way of their squad for next season, in a higher division they are:-

- Losing 2 of their top 3 goal scorers (Evans, and Anderson)

- 3 of their top 4 assisters (Evans, Anderson ,Thomas).

- Both CB's are off (Taylor, and Connolly)

So by way of either loans or 1 year contracts ending potentially leaving are:-

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

So JB from my reckoning will have to completely rebuild a team in a higher division in which they will be paupers compared to some other teams. Any continuity from this promotion season will be lost, and like this season will take time to remould the team into an effective unit. 

A number of these may stay of course, but they were bought for L2 football, L1 is a very different ball game.

I think the Rovers fans should adjust their expectations for next season accordingly. Who knows what sort of team they will put out for that first game on the 30th July???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The major point or reckoning for the Gas moving into League 1 from my perspective is that really they have no team to start the next season with? They've only signed Belshaw and Hoole to new deals. Evans & Nicholson have refused new contracts and will have better offers i'm sure. 

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

So JB from my reckoning will have to completely rebuild a team in a higher division in which they will be paupers compared to some other teams. Any continuity from this promotion season will be lost, and like this season will take time to remould the team into an effective unit. 

A number of these may stay of course, but they were bought for L2 football, L1 is a very different ball game.

I think the Rovers fans should adjust their expectations for next season accordingly. Who knows what sort of team they will put out for that first game on the 30th July???

:fingerscrossed:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

Those out of contract would have been offered competitive league 2 deals and saw their future in league 1, they'll probably get league 1 deals now.

As for other players, Barton did a fair job of building a squad (even with loans), and at a higher level and having proven to be able to help develop loan players, there won't be a shortage of clubs who want to work with him.

They might well be a comfortable mid-table side, they'll go in to next season with confidence.

Not what anyone wants to hear, but a reasonable assessment in my view.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think you are missing the point.  They are coming for us, deffo.  They will get promoted to the Championship next year, to the Premiership the year after, Europa League the Year after that, Champion's League Semi final the year after that, before finally winning the quadruple. Phew!

Exciting times to be a Prowed gashead.

EDIT:  Otr they have just squeaked promotion out of Division 4 which is where the Messiah took them to a year ago when he threw the towel in with 10 games to go.

One of the above scenarios is definitely true. 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 2