IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I was watching SkySports News and Jeff Stelling was saying how wonderful they were and that they had been averaging nearly 10,000 all season. Jeff said it, so it must be true. 5,000 is very nearly 10,000.

that was the total attendance of home and away fans for both matches

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

All really valid points made in the last few days by all of the posters.

The major point or reckoning for the Gas moving into League 1 from my perspective is that really they have no team to start the next season with? They've only signed Belshaw and Hoole to new deals. Evans & Nicholson have refused new contracts and will have better offers i'm sure. 

By way of their squad for next season, in a higher division they are:-

- Losing 2 of their top 3 goal scorers (Evans, and Anderson)

- 3 of their top 4 assisters (Evans, Anderson ,Thomas).

- Both CB's are off (Taylor, and Connolly)

So by way of either loans or 1 year contracts ending potentially leaving are:-

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

So JB from my reckoning will have to completely rebuild a team in a higher division in which they will be paupers compared to some other teams. Any continuity from this promotion season will be lost, and like this season will take time to remould the team into an effective unit. 

A number of these may stay of course, but they were bought for L2 football, L1 is a very different ball game.

I think the Rovers fans should adjust their expectations for next season accordingly. Who knows what sort of team they will put out for that first game on the 30th July???

Yeah, but one told me they are signing Louis Britton, who, they reckon is one of our best players but wasn't given a chance.

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

I think you are missing the point.  They are coming for us, deffo.  They will get promoted to the Championship next year, to the Premiership the year after, Europa League the Year after that, Champion's League Semi final the year after that, before finally winning the quadruple. Phew!

Exciting times to be a Prowed gashead.

EDIT:  Otr they have just squeaked promotion out of Division 4 which is where the Messiah took them to a year ago when he threw the towel in with 10 games to go.

One of the above scenarios is definitely true. 

How did you get on playing in European competitions in 2021?  I must have missed those results, but I remember Mr Johnson saying that he envisaged that you'd be at that level within 5 years. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I was watching SkySports News and Jeff Stelling was saying how wonderful they were and that they had been averaging nearly 10,000 all season. Jeff said it, so it must be true. 5,000 is very nearly 10,000.

To the higher 10,000 it is! A perfectly sensible rounding methodology in certain circumstances ...

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The major point or reckoning for the Gas moving into League 1 from my perspective is that really they have no team to start the next season with? They've only signed Belshaw and Hoole to new deals. Evans & Nicholson have refused new contracts and will have better offers i'm sure. 

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

So JB from my reckoning will have to completely rebuild a team in a higher division in which they will be paupers compared to some other teams. Any continuity from this promotion season will be lost, and like this season will take time to remould the team into an effective unit. 

A number of these may stay of course, but they were bought for L2 football, L1 is a very different ball game.

I think the Rovers fans should adjust their expectations for next season accordingly. Who knows what sort of team they will put out for that first game on the 30th July???

So promotion could be the worst thing that could have happened to them. Result.

13 minutes ago, In the Net said:

How did you get on playing in European competitions in 2021?  I must have missed those results, but I remember Mr Johnson saying that he envisaged that you'd be at that level within 5 years. 

Yet on the same day, Clarke said you'd be in a new stadium? How's that coming along?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

Evans and Nicholson have not refused new contracts.

Coutts triggered another year on his contract by number of appearances

Rodman is likely to remain with the club

Brown and Pitman were surplus to requirements before the end of this season.

Elliot Anderson - obviously moving on to Championship, or fighting for a place in the Newcastle squad.

Taylor - same as Anderson, returning to home club

Connolly - out of contract with Cardiff, had not played first team football before signing for Rovers,  may well sign a contract here.

Spence - has only played 6 games, will return to Palace

Clarke - has only played 7 games due to injury.  Not sure if he will be offered a new contract

Jakkola - 2nd choice keeper, injury prone.  Likely to move on, as Jed Ward has been part of the first team set up for most of the season

Thomas - not sure if he is out of contract with Barnsley.  Came to Rovers to be closer to his family, previous mental health issues.  Has flourished under Barton's management, may well like a permanent contract here.

Whelan - JB wants him at Rovers next season.  I guess it depends on how long he is prepared to go on living away from his family.

Several players chose to move down from League One to come and play for Barton, so are capable of playing there again.  Barton seems to have good contacts for loans, so those who are leaving may well be replaced in the same manner - although, I doubt that we'd get another Elliot Anderson, he was a different level. 

No idea what next season has in store - interesting times ahead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Providing a new stadium was not within DC's remit or skill set, whereas LJ was taking about his area of expertise (or maybe not)

Whether it was or wasn't he said it! In defence of LJ we were actually only a couple of wins away from Europe after we'd beaten Man Utd, so his prediction wasn't too bad. Alot closer to Europe than you lot getting your stadium.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Whether it was or wasn't he said it! In defence of LJ we were actually only a couple of wins away from Europe after we'd beaten Man Utd, so his prediction wasn't too bad. Alot closer to Europe than you lot getting your stadium.

Not sure ,but I always thought that if we got to the final we would of qualified for Europe.

5 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Don't be so bloody ridiculous man.

x, y and z....hell...even n are all far too far into the alphabet for them to know what they are.

?????

Well, you could always substitute a,b,c and d and not worry about the order...TBA the equation is for those striving to solve the answer, so not Gas

On 09/05/2022 at 19:45, In the Net said:

As I said, I don't blame Northampton for looking at a complaint, most clubs would these days.  Teams in the position which Scunthorpe were in have to look after themselves, no doubt some of their better players will be off now they are non-league, and you would expect the manager to want to look at the competence of other players at the club, and identify the priorities regarding which positions need recruitment from elsewhere.  He's been doing this for at least 4 games - were you all up in arms when Mansfield beat them 4-0?  That result affected the promotion race. 

The same situation sometimes happens mid-season, if a team has a big FA Cup tie they will look at resting some crucial players from the preceeding game - if they lose that game it affects where other teams will finish in the table.  It's not all down to the last day.  Where do you draw the line - let the EFL pick the teams for the last month of the season?

So, if Watford fielded a team full of players from their youth and U18 teams tonight in their game against Everton - do you think the premier league would act upon the inevitable complaints from Burnley and Leeds? I think they would - especially if Everton stuck 7 goals or more past a group of inexperienced kids ...

Scunthorpe should be ashamed of themselves for their total lack of integrity and professionalism - they owed Northampton Town, and other clubs, a proper performance but they basically accepted they’d lose the game heavily with the line up they sent out. If it were down to me, Scunny would receive a huge fine, roverzzz would be docked six points for allowing their fans to invade the pitch during a game and then roverzzz vs Scunny should be replayed.

No way you’d score 7 against a proper Scunthorpe line up (the previous time you scored 7 was 1964 wasnt it?!)  - and even if you did, the six point deduction would render it pretty much meaningless - but it will all be swept under the carpet anyway as it’s not high profile enough to warrant any interest or investigation.

I’d love Watford to do the same thing tonight - just to see the reaction of the media, premier league clubs and premier league officials when it ended Hornets 0 Everton 8 - it would be sooo much different to the apparent indifference and apathy surrounding the Scunthorpe debacle ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

5 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I'm amazed by how much some of the posters on here know about Rovers, regarding facts and figures.

Especially when it comes to actual attendances both home and away. Rovers fans love to exaggerate massively in this particular area.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I'm amazed by how much some of the posters on here know about Rovers, regarding facts and figures.

I’m amazed at how often some  R***** fans come on here ?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I’m amazed at how often some  R***** fans come on here ?

Due to health issues, I spend a lot of time in the house, and there are actually some people on here who are capable of having an open minded exchange of views.

14 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Especially when it comes to actual attendances both home and away. Rovers fans love to exaggerate massively in this particular area.

I'm not fixated on attendance figures, so have no idea. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

Providing a new stadium was not within DC's remit or skill set, whereas LJ was taking about his area of expertise (or maybe not)

If your boss is a very ambitious billionaire who hopes to see some sort of return on his sizeable investment, then the answer to the question that LJ was asked is not going to be “ahh 5 years? I dunno, top half Championship maybe...” Unless you fancy being replaced sooner rather than later.

Whilst I understand that the answer was a bit “Premiership in foive yers ere we cum..” you can at least understand him for coming out with it. The City managers job comes with a high degree of pressure.

Wolves proved its possible if you can sort your recruitment out.

Gasheads will continue to use it as a stick to beat City with as if the owner and manager having ambition is something to be ashamed of for some reason? 

I have no idea what Clarke’s answer was to the same question? 

19 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Same.

There was a list of names on here earlier  that could’ve been the All Blacks World Cup Squad for all I know? 

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So, if Watford fielded a team full of players from their youth and U18 teams tonight in their game against Everton - do you think the premier league would act upon the inevitable complaints from Burnley and Leeds? I think they would - especially if Everton stuck 7 goals or more past a group of inexperienced kids ...

Scunthorpe should be ashamed of themselves for their total lack of integrity and professionalism - they owed Northampton Town, and other clubs, a proper performance but they basically accepted they’d lose the game heavily with the line up they sent out. If it were down to me, Scunny would receive a huge fine, roverzzz would be docked six points for allowing their fans to invade the pitch during a game and then roverzzz vs Scunny should be replayed.

No way you’d score 7 against a proper Scunthorpe line up (the previous time you scored 7 was 1964 wasnt it?!)  - and even if you did, the six point deduction would render it pretty much meaningless - but it will all be swept under the carpet anyway as it’s not high profile enough to warrant any interest or investigation.

I’d love Watford to do the same thing tonight - just to see the reaction of the media, premier league clubs and premier league officials when it ended Hornets 0 Everton 8 - it would be sooo much different to the apparent indifference and apathy surrounding the Scunthorpe debacle ...

Scunthorpe do not owe anything to another team - football is a professional business, you look after number one.  Their manager did what many other managers have done in the past, took the opportunity to have a look at how some of the younger players performed in the first team environment, once their fate was decided.  There was only one change in the back 4 from the previous game, which they drew 1-1, Lobley, who was substituted after about 25 minutes.  The 17 year old goalkeeper had also played in the previous match - conceding 1 goal.

Let's replay all the Cup games where the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd fielded virtually their 2nd string of players, this was so unfair on the clubs which had to face full strength Premiership sides in the competition.  Once again - clubs look after number one - themselves.

Average age of the Rovers team =21    Average age of the Scunthorpe team = 20.6   Take 38 year old Glen Whelan out of the equation, and there probably would have been no difference at all.

Mansfield and Sutton recently put 4 past Scunthorpe, and Salford put 5 past them - these teams were all involved in the fight for play-off position - we'd better investigate how they managed an above average number of goals.

Promotion isn't based on one game, apart from the play-off final.  It's decided on how teams perform from August to May.  This season a lot of teams had weakened squads to chose from as some point, due to Covid, I'm sure other teams near the top of the table will have played some of these - that's the roll of the dice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

There was a list of names on here earlier  that could’ve been the All Blacks World Cup Squad for all I know? 

Likewise with your squad, apart from the French lad and Scotty Murray the kit man.  Why would it be any different for either of us? At my age, it hard enough keeping up with who our own players are! 

Edited by In the Net

41 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Scunthorpe do not owe anything to another team - football is a professional business, you look after number one.  Their manager did what many other managers have done in the past, took the opportunity to have a look at how some of the younger players performed in the first team environment, once their fate was decided.  There was only one change in the back 4 from the previous game, which they drew 1-1, Lobley, who was substituted after about 25 minutes.  The 17 year old goalkeeper had also played in the previous match - conceding 1 goal.

Let's replay all the Cup games where the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd fielded virtually their 2nd string of players, this was so unfair on the clubs which had to face full strength Premiership sides in the competition.  Once again - clubs look after number one - themselves.

Average age of the Rovers team =21    Average age of the Scunthorpe team = 20.6   Take 38 year old Glen Whelan out of the equation, and there probably would have been no difference at all.

Mansfield and Sutton recently put 4 past Scunthorpe, and Salford put 5 past them - these teams were all involved in the fight for play-off position - we'd better investigate how they managed an above average number of goals.

Promotion isn't based on one game, apart from the play-off final.  It's decided on how teams perform from August to May.  This season a lot of teams had weakened squads to chose from as some point, due to Covid, I'm sure other teams near the top of the table will have played some of these - that's the roll of the dice.

Can you imagine if it was the other way around and you missed out on promotion ,did'nt one of your chairman start legal proceedings against wycombe .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

But as I remember, it was only Johnson talking about his desire to get there, not a projection or promise. It was not the entire fanbase projecting fanciful dreams. Everybody needs to have aspirations but, usually they are tempered with reality. There is every chance that in a few years City will be in the premiership, challenging for the title, winning the F A cup and becoming champions of Europe. Shit, sorry, I was getting carried away and comparing My clubs ambitions using Rovers fans logic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

Can you imagine if it was the other way around and you missed out on promotion ,did'nt one of your chairman start legal proceedings against wycombe .

Yes, there were certainly rumblings of action being taken.  Their safety officer called the game off because of a thunder storm, by the time fans were walking back to their cars, the sun was shining.  Rovers were 0-3 up at the time - I'm not sure that City would have accepted it meekly either, as there was no history of any previous danger at the ground during thunder storms.  There is so much at stake financially in football these days, that people tend to use what they can to the advantage of their team - do I like that - not really, but the world has changed.

I've already said that I don't  blame Northampton, that's the way things are these days, I'm sure that a lot of clubs would do the same, including ourselves.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

But as I remember, it was only Johnson talking about his desire to get there, not a projection or promise. It was not the entire fanbase projecting fanciful dreams. Everybody needs to have aspirations but, usually they are tempered with reality. There is every chance that in a few years City will be in the premiership, challenging for the title, winning the F A cup and becoming champions of Europe. Shit, sorry, I was getting carried away and comparing My clubs ambitions using Rovers fans logic. 

Spot on Rich ,

Or put another way

% 99.9 of the fan base realised Johnson was talking through his arse

And % 60 of them realised at that stage , that this was likely to become a trait 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

When asked where he sees the club in five year's time, Johnson said: "I'm going to stick my neck on the line a little bit and say Europa League."

Agreed it wasn't the fan base, and I do remember some being embarrassed by his comment.  We've all been there. 

4 minutes ago, In the Net said:

When asked where he sees the club in five year's time, Johnson said: "I'm going to stick my neck on the line a little bit and say Europa League."

Agreed it wasn't the fan base, and I do remember some being embarrassed by his comment.  We've all been there. 

So, when asked, surely you realise he had to give a positive response, no matter how fanciful it may have been. I'm not sticking up for him by any means, I think he was very fortunate to ever get the chance to manage at that level and most people thought he spoke a load of shyte, me included. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

So, when asked, surely you realise he had to give a positive response, no matter how fanciful it may have been. I'm not sticking up for him by any means, I think he was very fortunate to ever get the chance to manage at that level and most people thought he spoke a load of shyte, me included. 

Surely a positive and more suitable response would have been something like “I hope that in 5 years we are on the way to becoming an established premier league team”?