IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 minute ago, Seventeen said:

Surely a positive and more suitable response would have been something like “I hope that in 5 years we are on the way to becoming an established premier league team”?  

I quite agree. Too much bluster and bullshyte are most often seen as just that, then the piss taking starts and, in some instances is replaced by even more bluster and bullshyte, followed by years of piss taking.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Swede said:

Its part of the love in they have for the quirky little club. Its the same with non league Yeovil. I can never fathom why they have so much air time apart from BBC Sport Somerset having nothing better to do. Who in Bristol wants to hear on precious air time Yeovil's manager (whoever that is) talking about their match at Billericay? 

I don’t think Conference clubs used to get much more than the scores read out, but when the dearly beloved of North Bristol went down they tried that for one week on PW. The wailing and gnashing of teeth in reaction to the perceived “unfairness” was heard loud and clear. The next week all the PW area Conference  clubs had a poor definition, single camera angle, replay of the goals. I guess if they had to start doing it for one they had to do it for all. (Thereby proving that they were completely fair in the first place but caved in to a bunch of unwashed, championship ready moaning gits).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

Yes, there were certainly rumblings of action being taken.  Their safety officer called the game off because of a thunder storm, by the time fans were walking back to their cars, the sun was shining.  Rovers were 0-3 up at the time - I'm not sure that City would have accepted it meekly either, as there was no history of any previous danger at the ground during thunder storms. 

That was a different occasion.

When you were relegated from the League, Rovers complained to the FA about an issue with a player Wycombe had signed (don’t remember the full details however iirc the deal hadn’t even happened that season?).

This was particularly shit from Higgs and co as Wycombe were in the financial bog at the time. Most Rovers fans (online at least) were suitably embarrassed by this desperate clutching of straws and I think the FA just laughed at them anyway.

50 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Surely a positive and more suitable response would have been something like “I hope that in 5 years we are on the way to becoming an established premier league team”?  

Yes.

Better answer….although in reality an ‘established Premier League team’ is not going to be a million miles away from the Europa League so not really much different from what Johnson said.

Either way I’ll never knock any ambition from anyone at the club. If Rovers had a similar outlook from day one then you may not have let people like Harry Dolman and Steve Lansdown slip through your fingers and the Bristol football landscape could be very different today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

Scunthorpe do not owe anything to another team - football is a professional business, you look after number one.  Their manager did what many other managers have done in the past, took the opportunity to have a look at how some of the younger players performed in the first team environment, once their fate was decided.  There was only one change in the back 4 from the previous game, which they drew 1-1, Lobley, who was substituted after about 25 minutes.  The 17 year old goalkeeper had also played in the previous match - conceding 1 goal.

Let's replay all the Cup games where the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd fielded virtually their 2nd string of players, this was so unfair on the clubs which had to face full strength Premiership sides in the competition.  Once again - clubs look after number one - themselves.

Average age of the Rovers team =21    Average age of the Scunthorpe team = 20.6   Take 38 year old Glen Whelan out of the equation, and there probably would have been no difference at all.

Mansfield and Sutton recently put 4 past Scunthorpe, and Salford put 5 past them - these teams were all involved in the fight for play-off position - we'd better investigate how they managed an above average number of goals.

Promotion isn't based on one game, apart from the play-off final.  It's decided on how teams perform from August to May.  This season a lot of teams had weakened squads to chose from as some point, due to Covid, I'm sure other teams near the top of the table will have played some of these - that's the roll of the dice.

Didn’t 6 of the Scunthorpe starting 11 have a grand total of 5 appearances between them?! And Keith Hill’s pre match comment: “We’re not going there to roll over and allow Rovers to celebrate” ???????

On 10/05/2022 at 07:43, aa_bcfc said:

Imagine the uproar in the Premier league if, for instance, relegated Norwich were playing Arsenal and fielded a team of mostly inexperienced youngsters. Arsenal won 7-0 which meant they finished 4th on goals scored and pushed Spurs to 5th therefore Arsenal securing the final Champions league spot and the financial rewards that go with it.

However this is only 4th division Northampton so no one in the EFL really cares (except NTFC and their fans). 

Oh I dunno, I remember a top flight game where the teams kicked off late and engineered a 2-2 draw to relegate Sunderland :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, In the Net said:

Scunthorpe do not owe anything to another team - football is a professional business, you look after number one.  Their manager did what many other managers have done in the past, took the opportunity to have a look at how some of the younger players performed in the first team environment, once their fate was decided.  There was only one change in the back 4 from the previous game, which they drew 1-1, Lobley, who was substituted after about 25 minutes.  The 17 year old goalkeeper had also played in the previous match - conceding 1 goal.

Let's replay all the Cup games where the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd fielded virtually their 2nd string of players, this was so unfair on the clubs which had to face full strength Premiership sides in the competition.  Once again - clubs look after number one - themselves.

Average age of the Rovers team =21    Average age of the Scunthorpe team = 20.6   Take 38 year old Glen Whelan out of the equation, and there probably would have been no difference at all.

Mansfield and Sutton recently put 4 past Scunthorpe, and Salford put 5 past them - these teams were all involved in the fight for play-off position - we'd better investigate how they managed an above average number of goals.

Promotion isn't based on one game, apart from the play-off final.  It's decided on how teams perform from August to May.  This season a lot of teams had weakened squads to chose from as some point, due to Covid, I'm sure other teams near the top of the table will have played some of these - that's the roll of the dice.

... and the 17 year old playing for Scunthorpe - scored an own goal to put you 1-0 up on his debut, then was subbed off after 27 mins and has now been released by Scunthorpe - yeh, that all seems pretty legit and fair, full of integrity and professionalism ... ??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

Yes, there were certainly rumblings of action being taken.  Their safety officer called the game off because of a thunder storm, by the time fans were walking back to their cars, the sun was shining....

Nope, the thunderstorm thing was at a different time - it had nothing to do with the legal action - that was about an entirely different issue at an entirely different time ... unlike you to get your facts completely wrong ...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nope, the thunderstorm thing was at a different time - it had nothing to do with the legal action - that was about an entirely different issue at an entirely different time ... unlike you to get your facts completely wrong ...

We've had a few run-ins with Wycombe - the brain fog kicked in! ?

9 hours ago, In the Net said:

Evans and Nicholson have not refused new contracts.

Coutts triggered another year on his contract by number of appearances

Rodman is likely to remain with the club

Brown and Pitman were surplus to requirements before the end of this season.

Elliot Anderson - obviously moving on to Championship, or fighting for a place in the Newcastle squad.

Taylor - same as Anderson, returning to home club

Connolly - out of contract with Cardiff, had not played first team football before signing for Rovers,  may well sign a contract here.

Spence - has only played 6 games, will return to Palace

Clarke - has only played 7 games due to injury.  Not sure if he will be offered a new contract

Jakkola - 2nd choice keeper, injury prone.  Likely to move on, as Jed Ward has been part of the first team set up for most of the season

Thomas - not sure if he is out of contract with Barnsley.  Came to Rovers to be closer to his family, previous mental health issues.  Has flourished under Barton's management, may well like a permanent contract here.

Whelan - JB wants him at Rovers next season.  I guess it depends on how long he is prepared to go on living away from his family.

Several players chose to move down from League One to come and play for Barton, so are capable of playing there again.  Barton seems to have good contacts for loans, so those who are leaving may well be replaced in the same manner - although, I doubt that we'd get another Elliot Anderson, he was a different level. 

No idea what next season has in store - interesting times ahead. 

So just to clarify you've  signed Coutts from that list, only because like Martin he triggered a new contract extension by way of appearances.

Other than that, no-one else is signed on from that list; and Finlayson & Evans haven't agreed the contracts that have been on offer all season (albeit when you didn't know what league you would be in).

I stand by my assertion that JB will have to redo it all again in a higher division.

He may be able to pull it out if the hat again, or you may have a Garner moment around changing your squad.

Whatever happens you will at least have lost some inertia from last weekend by the 30th July.

11 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

All really valid points made in the last few days by all of the posters.

The major point or reckoning for the Gas moving into League 1 from my perspective is that really they have no team to start the next season with? They've only signed Belshaw and Hoole to new deals. Evans & Nicholson have refused new contracts and will have better offers i'm sure. 

By way of their squad for next season, in a higher division they are:-

- Losing 2 of their top 3 goal scorers (Evans, and Anderson)

- 3 of their top 4 assisters (Evans, Anderson ,Thomas).

- Both CB's are off (Taylor, and Connolly)

So by way of either loans or 1 year contracts ending potentially leaving are:-

Evans

Nicholson

Elliott Anderson

Clarke

Thomas

Pittman

Coutts

Rodman

Whelan

Spence

Harries

Jakkola

Brown

Connolly

Taylor

So JB from my reckoning will have to completely rebuild a team in a higher division in which they will be paupers compared to some other teams. Any continuity from this promotion season will be lost, and like this season will take time to remould the team into an effective unit. 

A number of these may stay of course, but they were bought for L2 football, L1 is a very different ball game.

I think the Rovers fans should adjust their expectations for next season accordingly. Who knows what sort of team they will put out for that first game on the 30th July???

Just naming all the players that have a chance at leaving isn't really good analysis no? I get they're shite and all that, but Pitman, Brown, Harries and Spence haven't played for them in months. Coutts looks to have signed a new deal, Evans will likely sign a new deal. Connolly's contract is up. Jaakkola seems to be extremely injure prone. Whelan's a backup. Rodman I don't believe has played all season. Similar to Clarke. For EFL levels it really isn't an extraordinary rebuild. And I'd put money on given the success of Taylor and Anderson, if they don't go back there (which btw not just dumb sags it seems Newcastle Chronicle reporters are saying that he should go back there on loan) then you'd imagine Rovers would be a prime club for people to want to given the success of those two. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

Just naming all the players that have a chance at leaving isn't really good analysis no? I get they're shite and all that, but Pitman, Brown, Harries and Spence haven't played for them in months. Coutts looks to have signed a new deal, Evans will likely sign a new deal. Connolly's contract is up. Jaakkola seems to be extremely injure prone. Whelan's a backup. Rodman I don't believe has played all season. Similar to Clarke. For EFL levels it really isn't an extraordinary rebuild. And I'd put money on given the success of Taylor and Anderson, if they don't go back there (which btw not just dumb sags it seems Newcastle Chronicle reporters are saying that he should go back there on loan) then you'd imagine Rovers would be a prime club for people to want to given the success of those two. 

'ere, how comes you know so much about these"players"? I wouldn't have a clue who they are or how many games they've played (excepting Porky Pitman, of course ). I reckon you're a secret fewer ...get 'im, lads !  :boxing:

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

So just to clarify you've  signed Coutts from that list, only because like Martin he triggered a new contract extension by way of appearances.

Other than that, no-one else is signed on from that list; and Finlayson & Evans haven't agreed the contracts that have been on offer all season (albeit when you didn't know what league you would be in).

I stand by my assertion that JB will have to redo it all again in a higher division.

He may be able to pull it out if the hat again, or you may have a Garner moment around changing your squad.

Whatever happens you will at least have lost some inertia from last weekend by the 30th July.

Indeed, JB will have to re-do it again in a higher division, I just think it won't quite be to the extent indicated in your post.

I would have expected Coutts to have been offered another contract, if the appearance clause hadn't triggered the option - which he didn't have to take up.  I can't imagine that the players who followed JB from Fleetwood would have done so for one season, only to clear off after helping the club to gain promotion.

Who is this Finlayson that you speak of? ? Evans only had a one year contract as he was returning from playing in Germany, and had a history of injuries - he's proved to be a very good signing, if a Championship club came in for him, I wouldn't blame him for going.  It's quite normal for players to leave contract negotiations until there's a clear picture of where the club will be playing the following season, and, also to compare with other offers they may receive.  Not sure what level any approach to Nicholson would come from, he;s got a young family and may want to return to Scotland.

We've got a good nucleaus of players who are still under contract, which JB can build around.  It will be interesting to see what he comes up with this time.

Edited by In the Net
  • Like 1