IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

42 minutes ago, TheReds said:

It doesn't really matter if Clarke would have been on the bench or not, he started. He has just been given a new contract (up to 3 years) by the same manager, he started because the manager picked him, if the squad is down to the bare bones then that is also down to the manager and also the owner. If Clarke being a first teamer is showing how bad the transfer window has been for Rovers, whilst giving the same player a fairly long deal, then it shows how terrible the business has been giving him that contract. His choice of words is not surprising at all, but then again he always seems to make a point of wanting to take responsibility himself, whilst then going on to throw someone under the bus, deflecting the responsibility from himself to the players.  

Clarke's contract was a decent bit of business, he'll be challenging for that position I'm sure, he had a couple of injuries last season, so didn't really get the chance to build up momentum.  Difficult to legislate for illness and player's picking up a knock this early in the season, no point jumping into transfer deals just to get the numbers up by first day kick-off.

6 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Clarke's contract was a decent bit of business, he'll be challenging for that position I'm sure, he had a couple of injuries last season, so didn't really get the chance to build up momentum.  Difficult to legislate for illness and player's picking up a knock this early in the season, no point jumping into transfer deals just to get the numbers up by first day kick-off.

If it's a decent bit of business then maybe don't throw him under the bus after starting the first game of the season. Barton had no need to really name anyone. He could quite easily have said "we are struggling for players at the moment, and that wouldn't have been my first choice 11 if everyone was fit, and a couple of players aren't up to up to speed or full fitness yet", "we need to get some new faces in to improve the current crop of players we have available", etc etc etc. He has basically said that Clarke is not anywhere near first team material, and after giving him a 2/3 year contract a month ago. Terrible comments for the player, if that's man management then you are in trouble. I'm all for some tough love etc, but that was not needed whatsoever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

If it's a decent bit of business then maybe don't throw him under the bus after starting the first game of the season. Barton had no need to really name anyone. He could quite easily have said "we are struggling for players at the moment, and that wouldn't have been my first choice 11 if everyone was fit, and a couple of players aren't up to up to speed or full fitness yet", "we need to get some new faces in to improve the current crop of players we have available", etc etc etc. He has basically said that Clarke is not anywhere near first team material, and after giving him a 2/3 year contract a month ago. Terrible comments for the player, if that's man management then you are in trouble. I'm all for some tough love etc, but that was not needed whatsoever.

That's a fair comment.  ?

14 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

7CC03F67-1B4F-412E-815A-2AAF1A8C884A.thumb.jpeg.b733ed3f299dbf522c4a91ec1daaa24a.jpeg

Um, because you are a little Tinpot club? Small club playing a team from a village and getting battered. It’s not a surprise that you lost. All your loanees have ****** off back to their parent clubs leaving you with a team full of no marks in your little tented shit pit.

I’m surprised he’s surprised, given FGR won their division last year and they squeezed in the back door after an already-relegated team completely threw in the towel against them in their C*** Derby on the final day.

It must really rankle with the scum that a team from a town with a population of about 6,000 is consistently outperforming them (and no, I haven’t forgotten they put us out the league cup last year but there’s a world of difference between a shock in a one-off tie and showing them up consistently in the league).

The bloke is such a *****.

And let this be a lesson to all fans….this is why you can’t get excited about a team of loanees. They’d still be in League Two without Anderson, and can’t replace the others they had on loan last year too. Now look what’s happening. 

It always comes home to roost. That’s a massive loss for them yesterday against a side who lost their three best players, AND lost their manager. A lovely, lovely reality check

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Just watched Ted's Notebook after the F1 today, and he announced he won't be at the Belgian GP at the end of August as he'll be on a training camp with the 15ers. How very random.

Yeah I saw that, he also made a point of repeating the fact it was Bristol Rovers as though he was so surprised and disappointed.

On 30/07/2022 at 20:56, glynriley said:

Suggest you listen around the 40 second mark. No idea who Westbrook and Clark are, but I bet they’re buzzing with that glowing endorsement. 

On 30/07/2022 at 20:59, GrahamC said:

He basically says we are in a poor state if Clarke & Westbrooke (I have no idea who they are, by the way) are in my starting XI.

Well, who picked them? Who signed them? That was you, Barton.

How about taking some ownership & responsibility rather than throwing them under the bus.

He really is the most obnoxious individual, but if you look at his life & how he lives it, you would already know that.

OK, I have listened to it again, and accept there may have been some veiled criticism of Clarke and Westbrooke.

I say 'veiled criticism', as I am not convinced he was directly criticising the two players per se, but, rather, lamenting the poor recruitment over the summer, i.e. that it was so poor he was obliged to play two fringe players in the opening game of the season - much like we were obliged to do for much of last season.  

This is what he actually said:

"With the greatest respect to the starting XI today," Barton said. "If you had said to me at the end of last season Zain Westbrooke and Trevor Clarke were going to be in our starting XI on the opening day of the season, I would have said ‘My god, we must have had a bad summer’."

Incidentally, Zain Westbrooke was signed by Ben Garner, following a successful season with Coventry. I seem to recall we were also looking at him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

OK, I have listened to it again, and accept there may have been some veiled criticism of Clarke and Westbrooke.

I say 'veiled criticism', as I am not convinced he was directly criticising the two players per se, but, rather, lamenting the poor recruitment over the summer, i.e. that it was so poor he was obliged to play two fringe players in the opening game of the season - much like we were obliged to do for much of last season.  

This is what he actually said:

"With the greatest respect to the starting XI today," Barton said. "If you had said to me at the end of last season Zain Westbrooke and Trevor Clarke were going to be in our starting XI on the opening day of the season, I would have said ‘My god, we must have had a bad summer’."

Incidentally, Zain Westbrooke was signed by Ben Garner, following a successful season with Coventry. I seem to recall we were also looking at him.

If I were Zain Westbrooke or Trevor Clarke, I’d have taken his comments as criticism!

• Like 10

21 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Just watched Ted's Notebook after the F1 today, and he announced he won't be at the Belgian GP at the end of August as he'll be on a training camp with the 15ers. How very random.

Pretty sure his reasons for absence are just a joke - he's certainly mentioned some very odd and most unlikely things in the past. 

17 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Give it a couple of months and they'll be starring in 'Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away!'

But what to seize...?

There`s a booming market in second hand camping equipment what with the cost of holidays. Them tents are probably worth more than they paid for them - even when you factor in the fumigation and sterilisation costs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 31/07/2022 at 00:38, Gert Mare said:

7CC03F67-1B4F-412E-815A-2AAF1A8C884A.thumb.jpeg.b733ed3f299dbf522c4a91ec1daaa24a.jpeg

Um, because you are a little Tinpot club? Small club playing a team from a village and getting battered. It’s not a surprise that you lost. All your loanees have ****** off back to their parent clubs leaving you with a team full of no marks in your little tented shit pit.

Er . . . Oldie, FGR were the Champions of your league last season so by definition are better than you, they have a really forward thinking owner who's building a new ground for them & even coped with losing their manager to a team recently relegated from the Premier League.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Bristol Rovers fined £16,500 by FA for crowd trouble in Scunthorpe promotion game. 

I’m not sure that this will provide much of a deterrent for one of the richest clubs in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62392726

Looking at some of the concerns of the committee including deleting of CCTV recordings and previous incidents, I think they got off lightly. 

Is the "reduced capacity" ruling on top of their own self imposed reduction? 

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking at some of the concerns of the committee including deleting of CCTV recordings and previous incidents, I think they got off lightly. 

Is the "reduced capacity" ruling on top of their own self imposed reduction? 

Why are there no restrictions on the numbers allowed to be locked outside??

On 30/07/2022 at 19:28, BS2 Red said:

I had to drive through Eastville just after 2.30pm today and I saw two separate people with gash shirts on. 

I assume it must have been a massive crowd today.

Those 2 have been going to Eastville on matchday for the last 35 years, they stand in the bedding department of IKEA imagining that they are still on the Tote, singing the Irene dirge until they are removed by security. Then one of them shouts "Chelsea are here" and then they run away!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 13