IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Quote from "Cans and Megabus" A travel guide for Sunderland fans;

After years of traversing the many villages and industrial estates League One has to offer, what a pleasure it is to go to actual cities in the beautiful Championship. This year we get to visit Bristol and not have to go to the car boot sale stadium that Bristol Rovers hilariously call home.

the car boot sale stadium ...where an old leaking fridge can raise enough to buy their next striker ....

carboot.thumb.jpg.bb0df10707bb432f788cc3d3441530ee.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

So when the Sags told us that Sunderland fans love them they were lying? Surely not?

The Sags think everyone loves them.

The main reason is that they harass opposition fans of large clubs in local boozers until they hear the words they want to hear.

They also confuse pity with respect so when a fan from Ipswich says something like “oh, yeah I’ve always had a soft spot for Rovers, feel sorry for the way you’ve been run” what the Ipswich fan means is “please go away now you ******* stink

What the Saghead actually hears is “we love the gas, you’re our second team, can’t stand they gert fuggin shitheads mind

Gasheads have gone off Sunderland though after they accused them of dirty tactics in one of the games they played at the Mem. Rovers new best friends are actually Newcastle apparently.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The Sags think everyone loves them.

The main reason is that they harass opposition fans of large clubs in local boozers until they hear the words they want to hear.

They also confuse pity with respect so when a fan from Ipswich says something like “oh, yeah I’ve always had a soft spot for Rovers, feel sorry for the way you’ve been run” what the Ipswich fan means is “please go away now you ******* stink

What the Saghead actually hears is “we love the gas, you’re our second team, can’t stand they gert fuggin shitheads mind

Gasheads have gone off Sunderland though after they accused them of dirty tactics in one of the games they played at the Mem. Rovers new best friends are actually Newcastle apparently.

Weren`t they saying that hordes of Geordies were going to their games because of the kid they had on loan?

Source: Some bloke on Facebook said he might nip over when they were playing Carlisle away to see how he was doing if he didn`t have anything else better to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 01/08/2022 at 17:23, PHILINFRANCE said:

OK, I have listened to it again, and accept there may have been some veiled criticism of Clarke and Westbrooke.

I say 'veiled criticism', as I am not convinced he was directly criticising the two players per se, but, rather, lamenting the poor recruitment over the summer, i.e. that it was so poor he was obliged to play two fringe players in the opening game of the season - much like we were obliged to do for much of last season.  

This is what he actually said:

"With the greatest respect to the starting XI today," Barton said. "If you had said to me at the end of last season Zain Westbrooke and Trevor Clarke were going to be in our starting XI on the opening day of the season, I would have said ‘My god, we must have had a bad summer’."

Incidentally, Zain Westbrooke was signed by Ben Garner, following a successful season with Coventry. I seem to recall we were also looking at him.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/joey-barton-bristol-rovers-players-7422917

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

That's bonkers. Giving someone a new deal and then 2 months later saying 'don't want you here'

Could understand it if a new manager had come in and said to a player that they don't figure in the plans, so you might want to find a new club, but this is mental.

Inept management.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think that was more a case of 'if it's repeated often enough on the Internet, it becomes true' - a bit like the weekly wage of a player.

I don't imagine the unagreed contract was ever in the public domain so suggestions of how revenue would have been split would be no more than speculation.

Would have probably started with Henbury gas then to be fair!!

5 hours ago, Swede said:

I believe you're correct. The trouble with the sags is that a former chairman went on record on a previous pipe dream stating that they only need the facility for one day a week if someone was to build [& pay for] it for them. So I think UWE would've been like Coventry's Ricoh or like their old dump at Eastville. 

Maybe? Wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

That's bonkers. Giving someone a new deal and then 2 months later saying 'don't want you here'

Could understand it if a new manager had come in and said to a player that they don't figure in the plans, so you might want to find a new club, but this is mental.

Inept management.

It is.

Smacks of Tony Pulis with us, gave Gerald Lavin a three year deal then told him after he got sent off on his debut at Reading that he should go & play elsewhere.

Why on earth he thought that he would just say “ok” was utterly baffling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It is.

Smacks of Tony Pulis with us, gave Gerald Lavin a three year deal then told him after he got sent off on his debut at Reading that he should go & play elsewhere.

Why on earth he thought that he would just say “ok” was utterly baffling.

Still not sure what Lavin did wrong, not his fault Reading fans are made of plastic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Would have probably started with Henbury gas then to be fair!!

Maybe? Wouldn't surprise me.

No maybe about it, that was the whole business plan.  Al Fraudy (rightly?) decided that wasn’t a gig that would make money, and binned it off…

Problem being, since then they’ve been offered 3 parcels of land for a stadium, Parkway, Filton and near Lyde Green which have been ruled out.  The 4th option was the Fruit Market and for whatever reason Al Fraudy opened his mouth on the radio that it was the plan, despite being the same terms as what UWE stad would have had, and being much more “bargain basement”. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chucky said:

image.png.d4ec08fa806f5b2a03013994889e7b2f.png

Hang on, that's not a real football stadium. A real stadium has tents, numerous tents, a cricket pavillion, a 1970's night club entrance, Santa's Grotto, a garden shed, several white plastic garden chairs, an old bus shelter minus Row N and more tents

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Inept management.

I've heard a rumour that Clarke was approached by Charlton, a few days before the start of the season; and went and spoke to them without telling JB or the club.

It does smack of a disciplinary or personality issue rather than a playing one.

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I've heard a rumour that Clarke was approached by Charlton, a few days before the start of the season; and went and spoke to them without telling JB or the club.

It does smack of a disciplinary or personality issue rather than a playing one.

And if the player has any sense, he'll say to Charlton, 'Give me 3 year deal, first 2 years on minimum wage, and give me everything I would have made bundled up in the 3rd year.... The fewers can pay the difference!' 

(Obviously it wouldn't work like that, but it's a nice thought) 

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And if the player has any sense, he'll say to Charlton, 'Give me 3 year deal, first 2 years on minimum wage, and give me everything I would have made bundled up in the 3rd year.... The fewers can pay the difference!' 

(Obviously it wouldn't work like that, but it's a nice thought) 

Or, I'm a Professional Football Player, Get Me Out of Here!

19 minutes ago, Purple Paul said:

Surprising there's  no taking the piss of Rovers result today.  

Forest Green, Burton Albion... those HUGE fixtures just keep coming and coming, omg we're so jealous.

Who's up next, the Wheeltappers and shunters?

Edited by AppyDAZE