IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

56 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Totally agree. Oxford in town Saturday who are actually a very good side as well. Wonder who Barton will blame for the loss today and probable loss Saturday. Poppppppp

Dolly said that the team that started tonight (just one change from the weekend) compromised their only fit senior players. He didn’t want to pick youngsters as it would “devalue the competition”. (In other words: the youngsters aren’t good enough).

Oh and the ref missed a clear handball which led to their goal. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Screenshot_20220809-212610_BBC Sport.jpg

For context, Tom Nichols struggled to score goals earlier in his career.

**** me. Done by a Tom Nicholls goal! Did they have a bell in the ball or something?! 

Priceless. Start the bus. Joey’s ready to throw some more players under!

Struggling with the maths in this one to be honest. If ever there was an example to show your workings this has to be it…

keygas
First Team
19 hours ago

Can’t deny that Bristol football has been sh*t for years , but I still think the interest & hunger is still there & I always laugh when people say it’s more of a rugby city
When you consider that In the last 10 days a combined total of 33000 people have watched the 2 Bristol clubs, & Rovers opening match , judging by the amount of people on social media who were still trying to get tickets leading up to & on the day of the match which had sold out a couple of weeks earlier, that total would have been far greater.
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, GreedyHarry said:

Struggling with the maths in this one to be honest. If ever there was an example to show your workings this has to be it…

keygas
First Team
19 hours ago

Can’t deny that Bristol football has been sh*t for years , but I still think the interest & hunger is still there & I always laugh when people say it’s more of a rugby city
When you consider that In the last 10 days a combined total of 33000 people have watched the 2 Bristol clubs, & Rovers opening match , judging by the amount of people on social media who were still trying to get tickets leading up to & on the day of the match which had sold out a couple of weeks earlier, that total would have been far greater.

That's a bit like putting some lovely spin on our 6-2 defeat to Fulham, by saying we were involved in an 8 goal thriller but not mentioning the final score.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Interesting piece on the Guardian website about which club’s record signing is longest ago:

“Bristol Rovers’ record signing (Andy Tilson, £370,000) was made in 1992,” notes Oscar Felix Ramirez. “Do any other league clubs still have a record signing from 30-plus years ago?

We had no idea the early-1990s was such a boom time for record signings, but it seems Bristol Rovers aren’t alone. “Steve Claridge is still Cambridge’s record signing (£252,000),” writes Russell Connor. “They actually have signed him twice, once in 1990 and then again only two years later after interim club Luton didn’t like what they saw. He seems to have been bought in the same summer of 1992 as Tilson, so not sure who came first.”

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Interesting piece on the Guardian website about which club’s record signing is longest ago:

“Bristol Rovers’ record signing (Andy Tilson, £370,000) was made in 1992,” notes Oscar Felix Ramirez. “Do any other league clubs still have a record signing from 30-plus years ago?

We had no idea the early-1990s was such a boom time for record signings, but it seems Bristol Rovers aren’t alone. “Steve Claridge is still Cambridge’s record signing (£252,000),” writes Russell Connor. “They actually have signed him twice, once in 1990 and then again only two years later after interim club Luton didn’t like what they saw. He seems to have been bought in the same summer of 1992 as Tilson, so not sure who came first.”

Bit harsh on the Gas. Should have been balanced by their record sale being Matty Taylor for £10m.?

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Talking of our friend Matty, hope he gets a warm reception from the blue few tomorrow ?

He will.

I expect the Gas hit squad will be chucking stuff at him. He got a lot of verbal abuse (some right in his face) when he played there before & went off injured.

Love to see him get the winner.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fatchers said:

I see the kick off at the tented swamp is 12:30. Must be expecting  Hordes turning up and having to delay kick off. Which turnstile is it that has the longest queue I wonder.

It will be because of the balloon festival half way across town or the Tour De France or something.

Actually, we have a food festival here in Portishead so maybe that is a draw. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

It will be because of the balloon festival half way across town or the Tour De France or something.

Actually, we have a food festival here in Portishead so maybe that is a draw. :)

The Suspension Bridge is shut from 6pm and a sizeable proportion of their loyal and true (about six) need it to get home.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Well, if their belters are to be believed, he`ll feign an injury and get taken off as he can`t deal with the fewers dribbling insults.

Haha, they try to make out it’s like the Ali Sami Yen Stadium.

More like the Shitty Scabby Mem Stadium.

If he did feign injury it was probably to escape the stench wafting across the pitch after 6000 Zombies collectively soiled themselves in rage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Seen 4 rovers shirts at Balloon fiesta last few days, coming out of their hovels after promotion eh?

Definitely a little bit, saw one in what I presume is their away kit a week or so ago & another out for a run in “the famous quarters”.

Genuinely the first couple I’d seen in years, though living in BS3 wearing one around here, especially in the vicinity of West St would be an act of supreme bravery.

18 hours ago, fatchers said:

I see the kick off at the tented swamp is 12:30. Must be expecting  Hordes turning up and having to delay kick off. Which turnstile is it that has the longest queue I wonder.

I thought it was midday KO, just checked,your right 12.30

Edited by Red-Al
Spelling error,

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Seen 4 rovers shirts at Balloon fiesta last few days, coming out of their hovels after promotion eh?

I work at Bristol Airport as a dispatcher. Fun when I see a guy in quarters about to board aircraft and I tell him he cant fly ! Always reply ' Why'  ' cos you'll have to take that shirt off !! '   You're obviously a Sh*thead is the reply. Good banter though. Other day saw a guy in new City top and said ' great shirt ' to him, he didnt understand a word I said. ?