IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, gl2 said:

The gap is getting smaller, and yes we do have more fans/better ground etc; footballing wise they seem to have what we lack... belief.

They are on a roll we are well, poor to say the least, without other clubs points deductions we could easily be in the same div next season. Our "top" players are well off

If, if, if.

You sound like a Saghead.

They played the bottom team in our division a couple of months ago and lost.

38 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Don’t kid yourself in thinking that if we played Rovers now we would win,,at this moment in time we are not worlds apart 

If we play any team from L2 in a one off game theres a chance we could lose no matter what our form is like. No game is a guaranteed victory.

47 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Hate to say it but the guy is doing an incredible job on a zero budget and has given them a real chance of the play offs !! Bugger ?

Why would you give him such undeserved credit? Zero budget? He was allowed to sign a completely new team. ? They’ve had none of the difficulties that we’ve faced this season and will do again next season.

For a side that was the bookies favourites with absolutely everyone at the start of the season they’ve made a right slog of it so far whilst clubs like FGR and Northampton (also relegated from L1 last season) have run away with it. 

Yes, they’ll probably go up, but they’ll still be ‘Barton Rovers’ managed by a volatile cretin, with L2 support playing in a Non League ground. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

For a side that was the bookies favourites with absolutely everyone at the start of the season they’ve made a right slog of it so far whilst clubs like FGR and Northampton (also relegated from L1 last season) have run away with it.

Since odds are driven by the betting,  surely this just means that there are a lot of Gasheads with more money than sense :)

32 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm a mere whippersnapper at 57. I'm not saying I don't still get a buzz out of it, it just doesn't matter anywhere near as much as it did to me. When we used to play you on a regular basis , I would be stressed for weeks worrying about the game

Funnily enough, when we used to play each other every season it never made me nervous. To me it was like when we play Cardiff now.....a big game that Im desperate we don’t lose but if we do then there’s only a few months until you get the chance to set the record straight.

I was genuinely worried for weeks leading up to the JPT game. If our fans think we’re shit now they obviously can’t remember the start of the 13/14 season under O Driscoll. ?

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Funnily enough, when we used to play each other every season it never made me nervous. To me it was like when we play Cardiff now.....a big game that Im desperate we don’t lose but if we do then there’s only a few months until you get the chance to set the record straight.

I was genuinely worried for weeks leading up to the JPT game. If our fans think we’re shit now they obviously can’t remember the start of the 13/14 season under O Driscoll. ?

Nothing like playing Cardiff now. Rovers will always be our main rivals Cardiff doesn't even come close.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Have to confess , I thought Joey Barton was going to crash and burn this season , especially with the court case as a massive distraction.  Hate to say it but the guy is doing an incredible job on a zero budget and has given them a real chance of the play offs !! Bugger ?

How many players did he sign? How many players did he want that would cost a fortune and told he couldn't sign them? How many restrictions did he have regarding signing/departures? How many are long term players for them and what is their worth now? Loans and a few on 1 year contracts I thought?  

Incredible job, my arse. 

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Since odds are driven by the betting,  surely this just means that there are a lot of Gasheads with more money than sense :)

The bookies set the odds and adjust them accordingly to make a percentage book. If you think they were favs (they were second favs behind Salford) solely on a load of gasheads betting them, then I think you are mistaken. If plenty of gasheads were betting them after the book had opened then they would have shortened considerably from their opening price - which they didn't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Some would regard it as that, but I just view football very, very differently to how I used to. I don't worry about success as such, I just want to enjoy a good game and atmosphere, just have a good day out. I still want Rovers to win and City to lose, but **** getting stressed out about football any more. If we get n the play offs great, a couple of away days that might be fun, if we don't, we don't. I used to take football far too seriously, I'm glad I don't any more.

I agree with this sort of viewpoint really.  Whilst I want us to be successful, I don't get any more or less joy out of beating Middlesboro than I do beating Northampton.  Obviously in theory the higher up the ladder you go the matches should be more entertaining because of a higher technical skills level, but that doesn't always scan as we well know.  

I think more people than actually realise also hold this view though.  I'm sure if someone offered us Championship next season with a guaranteed repeat of last season under Holden or relegation with a guaranteed repeat of 2015 that many people would take the latter.

36 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Millions of the buggers wanted to back them but all were locked out of their accounts......

1 hour ago, Super said:

Nothing like playing Cardiff now. Rovers will always be our main rivals Cardiff doesn't even come close.

You speak for me do you? IMO some of the games against Cardiff in the early 2000s were absolutely as good as anything we’ve ever had with Rovers. If anything I enjoyed those games more.

I was saying what the Derby matches with Rovers felt like to me when we were playing each other every season. 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

48 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

You speak for me do you? IMO some of the games against Cardiff in the early 2000s were absolutely as good as anything we’ve ever had with Rovers. If anything I enjoyed those games more.

I was saying what the Derby matches with Rovers felt like to me when we were playing each other every season. 

Nothing rivalry IMO

Edited by Super

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

How are you measuring this gap getting smaller out interest?

It's an interesting question, seeing as they are 38 places below us in the league standings.

I assume he also thinks we are closing the gap on Man City then...?!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hate Cardiff, just as I hate Swansea. But then again I hate Boro, and Forest, and Millwall, Hull, Bournemouth, WBA, Reading, Liverpool, Man Utd etc etc etc. To be honest I hate every other team.

However nothing, NOTHING compares to the utter loathing I have for those vile csnut from north of the river. I struggle to even find words to express my true feelings. 

For that reason for me there will only ever be one true rival, and forever may they suffer, struggle and hopefully endure a long, lingering, painful death.

CTID

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, glynriley said:

It's an interesting question, seeing as they are 38 places below us in the league standings.

We all know Man City keep getting better just so they don't have to play us. And that their main motivation for wanting that Eurpoean Super League breakaway was to never have to play us ever again. The cowards.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Malago said:

Scheduled for a week on Friday.  The wife is refusing to give evidence but there’s audio tape of her distressed call to 999 which is the basis of the prosecution.  It’s a Magistrates court, so no dopey jury this time for his brief to hoodwink.  If he’s found guilty ???? would expect Wally will come under enormous pressure to sack him.  Can’t see any club this day and age being able to justify the employment of a wife beater.

Plus body cam footage from an officer who attended the scene apparently. 

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Plus body cam footage from an officer who attended the scene apparently. 

It’s a shame that he’ll likely get away with more thuggish behaviour.

Still, at least he’s dragging Rovers reputation through the mud. We joke about them being everyone’s ‘second favourite team’ but judging by social media, employing Barton hasn’t made them many admirers.

• Like 1

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

It’s a shame that he’ll likely get away with more thuggish behaviour.

Still, at least he’s dragging Rovers reputation through the mud. We joke about them being everyone’s ‘second favourite team’ but judging by social media, employing Barton hasn’t made them many admirers.

'Spose it depends on how damning the footage/phone evidence/medical report is.

The lawyer on here has said how such prosecutions rarely go ahead without the co-operation of the alleged victim, but he/she will also tell you that the CPS will not take a case to court unless they have a "reasonable prospect of conviction". In practice, this is usually taken to mean that cases have a more than 50% chance of success in the case officer's opinion. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phantom said:

How are you measuring this gap getting smaller out interest?

18 hours ago, glynriley said:

Are they not climbing their div while we are descending ours? can you also not agree that if it were not for points deductions to several clubs below us then it is possible we could even be in the same div as them next season.

Yes we are way above in terms of players wages/transfers etc and we rent a much nicer stadium etc but the "mighty" do fall see Sunderland/Sheff Weds etc and non league teams do rise through the ranks see local FGR/Cheltenham.

We need to kick on next season from some really poor efforts lately.

14 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Are they not climbing their div while we are descending ours? can you also not agree that if it were not for points deductions to several clubs below us then it is possible we could even be in the same div as them next season.

Yes we are way above in terms of players wages/transfers etc and we rent a much nicer stadium etc but the "mighty" do fall see Sunderland/Sheff Weds etc and non league teams do rise through the ranks see local FGR/Cheltenham.

We need to kick on next season from some really poor efforts lately.

So any time one team is in good form and the other isn’t then they’re coming for us(?) 

When we were climbing our div and beating Man United, whilst United were failing in theirs.. I never once thought of your logic, because it’s nonsense. 

Even if we were in the same league you wouldn’t be coming for us. There’s about 150m between us, let alone 3 divisions apart.

• Like 1

Felt I'd give my two pence, from a Rovers perspective.

For the poster who said JB has done a amazing job on zero budget - he has one of the biggest budgets in the League, he was allowed to get rid of any of the backroom team and also bring in whoever he wanted. He has a healthy budget. 

As for the ones saying we'd beat you right now. Nonsense. 

The gap isn't closing. It was closing when we were promoted to L1 under DC and he had us going well until you took Matty off us. To say it's closing now when there's a chance we still don't go up, but you guys are in the Championship for at least another yet is just nonsense.

Yes the form since new year has been great, we could pinch that third auto spot or we could finish 10th. There's still too many teams involved. 

• Like 9

20 hours ago, BS3City said:

I hate Cardiff, just as I hate Swansea. But then again I hate Boro, and Forest, and Millwall, Hull, Bournemouth, WBA, Reading, Liverpool, Man Utd etc etc etc. To be honest I hate every other team.

However nothing, NOTHING compares to the utter loathing I have for those vile csnut from north of the river. I struggle to even find words to express my true feelings. 

For that reason for me there will only ever be one true rival, and forever may they suffer, struggle and hopefully endure a long, lingering, painful death.

CTID

If you’re a certain age you have nothing but utter loathing for Rovers particularly if you remember the ‘80’s where we hardly ever beat them but my two grown up boys have complete indifference towards them as they barely know any Rovers fans and have never seen a league game against them

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

So any time one team is in good form and the other isn’t then they’re coming for us(?) 

When we were climbing our div and beating Man United, whilst United were failing in theirs.. I never once thought of your logic, because it’s nonsense. 

Even if we were in the same league you wouldn’t be coming for us. There’s about 150m between us, let alone 3 divisions apart.

It’s Gas-like mentality.

When they move up a place and we move down a place they say “oooh the gaps closing”. 
If we win on Saturday and they lose (I know, not likely) then the ‘gap’ will technically get bigger again but they won’t mention it.

That’s of course if you only measure it in league positions. What I do know is that they clearly don’t like being told to “mind the gap” ?

4 hours ago, gl2 said:

can you also not agree that if it were not for points deductions to several clubs below us then it is possible we could even be in the same div as them next season.

If, if, if....

4 hours ago, gl2 said:

Yes, bigger teams than us have been relegated to L1 and one the other side of the coin we’ve found ourselves in the same division as clubs like Yeovil, Burton and Stevenage in the recent past. This is despite spending MILLIONS since Lansdown arrived....that’s how the Football League works.

I expect us to be a L1 club the season after next, I really hope I’m wrong. Rovers could well be a L1 club themselves, big deal! 

The real embarrassment is the fact it would’ve taken them 23 years to get in the same division as us when supposedly smaller clubs like Yeovil, Burton, Stevenage, Torquay, Crawley and Fleetwood have all managed it since the last time there was a Bristol league derby.

On 09/03/2022 at 10:22, Baldyman said:

Have to confess , I thought Joey Barton was going to crash and burn this season , especially with the court case as a massive distraction.  Hate to say it but the guy is doing an incredible job on a zero budget and has given them a real chance of the play offs !! Bugger ?

Zero budget ? 
Don’t they have one of the biggest budgets in the fourth division ?

How many players have they signed this year? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Zero budget ? 
Don’t they have one of the biggest budgets in the fourth division ?

How many players have they signed this year? 

Before the 14/15 season we made some great signings like Freeman, Wilbs, Korey Smith, Mark Little etc. Gasheads accused us of ‘buying’ promotion.

Barton is allowed to buy an entire new team and some City fans come out with that ‘zero budget’ bollocks. ?

Amazing isn’t it? 

• Like 8