Jump to content
IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread


42nite

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What is the source of these numbers? Apologies, but nothing to say that you could have simply made them up ... thanks

They're from one of the big websites, Transfer Market or something like that.

You are somewhat grasping at straws to suggest that I may have made them up.  You respond to quite a lot of my posts, so, obviously read what I write.  I would have hoped you may have realised that I am a person of integrity, who always tries to take a balanced view of situations. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

I didn't point anything out in my post - I just provided information on a topic which is frequently discussed on here.

I am under no illusions about the differences in the attendance between the two clubs - same as I can remember that your attendances were low when you were in the basement division.  Those are the realities of football, and always will be, unless you're a Liverpool or Man Utd etc. 

Have to say, you seem rather salty this week, strange as we are of no significance to you. 

I'm not what you are talking about - you are always of significance, because as our city rivals I detest everything about your club. 

I have, however, posted that it's fair play to you for turning the season around and clinching promotion in the most dramatic of ways. 

I don't like that you've had success, but credit where its due. 

Now I'm just consoling myself with the fact that at least it's done & out of the way now, rather than it dragging on though the playoffs & you getting a big day out at Wembley.. 

I don't think that any lower league club can over celebrate the little bits of success that come our way. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

They're from one of the big websites, Transfer Market or something like that.

You are somewhat grasping at straws to suggest that I may have made them up.  You respond to quite a lot of my posts, so, obviously read what I write.  I would have hoped you may have realised that I am a person of integrity, who always tries to take a balanced view of situations. 

I simply pointed out that quoting a list of numbers without any mention of a source renders the list pretty meaningless and leaves you open to suggestions that you could have easily made up the numbers. If you found the info on a ‘big’ website you could have just provided a link to save having to type out the list yourself ...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

Yes, according to Sky - they need to employ better researchers.

I certainly was not "throwing a stone".  Some people on here like to discuss the attendances, so I posted the info - without any comment added.  I see that somebody has now posted the home attendances, which, likewise has started a discussion.

Apologies if you found my post offensive in some way.

No offence taken mate, my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek and  perhaps I should have added the winking emoji 😉 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, phantom said:

Was easier just to look for the answer myself. 

I'm surprised at how low some of these crowds are

 

Screenshot_20220512-220808_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-220815_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attendances might be low, bit some of theses clubs are selling a pretty good % of their capacity.

Particularly Barrow, who seem to be allowing 400 people to sit on someone's lap.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Of course I know he’s currently employed - that was a bizarre statement. You say Burnley would have no players if they were relegated? Really? They’d have zero players, every single player contracted to Burnley would simply leave???!!! ... and you say Burnley would have no money if they were relegated ... so the parachute payments would suddenly dissolve into nothingness leaving the clarets potless ...?! Oh dear ...

Burnley have 15 players out of contract and will have to pay off a £65 million loan, immediately upon relegation ( meaning that as well as the ooc players Brownhill, Tarkowski, Pope will all be sold to pay the debt). Clearly they would have parachute payments but will be starting a complete rebuild. So you still think Chris Wilder would leave the relative comfort of Middlesbourough to manage Burnley. Oh Dear. That is truly Bizarre !! His CV has nothing to do with it. I was reacting to the betting odds and names of people on the list when I said there was no chance of Wilder rocking up at Turf Moor.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Only have to look at Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth, Sunderland (until possibly this year yet again....), Bolton. All decent sized teams that have been in the Championship in the last 5-10 years. All have struggled to get back there.

Christ how many years did it take us in the early 2000's to get up?

Being a 'big club' may well be part of the problem . Just because a club can pull in a big crowd , doesn't mean they are making any money. Turnover means next to **** all if you ain't making a profit and generally speaking these clubs have much higher overheads than smaller , better run clubs. Their fans have much higher expectations and  there aren't too many owners and directors about who don't panic and start chucking money around they don't have, when the fanbase starts to have a go and damage their egos.

Lansdown is one  of the few who doesn't seem to panic, yet still comes in for criticism, for not being ambitious enough.

I don't think Rovers will necessarily struggle because of the big boys in the division, in fact I wouldn't even give that a second thought. Rovers problem will be keeping the momentum with several key players from this campaign missing and a lack of funds to replace them.  Joey won't be hanging around long if the adulation levels drop, that's for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yet another season where your average away attendance is lower than ours despite your fellow Gasheads desperate attempts to tell everyone how ‘embarrassing’ and ‘shocking’ our away support is...

We didn’t win away for 6 months as well, which one of us has just had a promotion season??

Not having a go at you, I know you’re reasonable. The others though should keep their mouths shut.

If  wish we went into the paly offs now. We would have taken 50 odd thousand to Wembley and then our away figures would be higher than yours .:)

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Lansdown is one  of the few who doesn't seem to panic, yet still comes in for criticism, for not being ambitious enough.

I don't think Rovers will necessarily struggle because of the big boys in the division

The people who criticise his ambition probably don’t understand the financial constraints we have and the need to comply with FFP or whatever it’s called now? Saying that I find most criticism is aimed at the way the club has been run in the last few years and some of the people brought in to do that. Looking at our financial situation those are valid criticisms.

Im very cautious not to predict a year of struggle for Rovers next season as others have done. There are some massive clubs in L1 with many honours and years of top flight football between them but the top 3 this season were Wigan, Rotherham and MK Dons with Wycombe and Plymouth not too far behind.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The people who criticise his ambition probably understand the financial constraints we have and the need to comply with FFP or whatever it’s called now? Saying that I find most criticism is aimed at the way the club has been run in the last few years and some of the people brought in to do that. Looking at our financial situation those are valid criticisms.

Im very cautious not to predict a year of struggle for Rovers next season as others have done. There are some massive clubs in L1 with many honours and years of top flight football between them but the top 3 this season were Wigan, Rotherham and MK Dons with Wycombe and Plymouth not too far behind.

Exactly that, having a big history really doesn't amount too much when it comes to whether you will win games in the here and now. I suspect we are of a similar age and remember Wigan being a non league side, I have seen Rovers put 5 and 6 past them on more than one occasion. Yet now, despite falling out of the top two divisions, most would consider them a club likelier  to succeed than someone like Sheffield Wednesday- or even Sunderland.  Clubs, like may well established businesses, who sit on their laurels, tend to get what they deserve- **** all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Exactly that, having a big history really doesn't amount too much when it comes to whether you will win games in the here and now. I suspect we are of a similar age and remember Wigan being a non league side, I have seen Rovers put 5 and 6 past them on more than one occasion. Yet now, despite falling out of the top two divisions, most would consider them a club likelier  to succeed than someone like Sheffield Wednesday- or even Sunderland.  Clubs, like may well established businesses, who sit on their laurels, tend to get what they deserve- **** all.

I do not remember Wigan as a non league side.

How very dare you.

Gas on the other hand....😏

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, In the Net said:

Some of you on here seem to love attendance stats, so here you go:-

Averages of Away Support in League Two

1. GAS - 1,040
2. Bradford - 921
3. Tranmere - 853
4. Swindon - 845
5. Mansfield - 845
6. Port Vale - 832
7. Oldham - 785
8. Northampton - 611
9. Exeter - 605
10. Walsall - 531
11. Carlisle - 514
12. Hartlepool - 504
13. Leyton Orient - 492
14. Newport - 490
15. Rochdale - 480
16. Barrow - 291
17. Colchester - 290
18. Sutton - 242
19. Forest Green - 227
20. Scunthorpe - 226
21. Salford - 173
22. Harrogate - 168
23. Crawley - 159
24. Stevenage - 155

I think Rovers were 3rd in the home attendance stats, Swindon were 2nd @Shaun Taylor

Yep, and literally overheard a Gashead yesterday saying that Rovers get 10,000 at home and take 2,000 away.

Home attendance over-exaggerated by 2,500

Away attendance over-exaggerated by 1,000

#gaslogic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, In the Net said:

For me, the "Massive Achievement" is how Barton has managed to transform the club and squad, from what it was when he got here.  Yes, we are only back to where we were a couple of seasons ago, but he has changed the ethos and culture at the club, he's brought in some excellent backroom staff, changed a lot of the medical staff.  Everything is so much more professional, and the players appreciate that, and have responded to it. The training methods are obviously working, once the effects of Covid had gone (some players were affected for quite a long period), you could see that the players energy levels were there for the whole 90 minutes - not something we've had before, and it was noticeable than most other teams were flagging in that last 10/15 minutes, which often gave us scoring opportunities.  He's obviously got good contacts within the game for loans, so hopefully we'll get a couple of decent youngsters in to add to the squad.  His man management appears to be good, which I know will surprise some people because of his reputation.

I wouldn't expect people on here to listen to his interviews, but he did say in August/September that we probably wouldn't see the best of this squad until around Christmas, as it takes time for a whole re-build to gel, and get to know each other's games.  He also said that he would get us promoted, and he instilled that belief in the players too.

Apologies if this is a longer answer than you wanted! 

Thank you, great response.

Interesting summer for Rovers, huge turnover in staff again; manager of course linked with other jobs; and playing in a league where the standard is a huge increase on last season.

I think Barton can't afford to have a poor start, like last season though. The ability to rise Phoenix like, will be so much harder.

We've been fortunate in the past 2 seasons to have pretty solid starts. Which has laid the groundwork for Operation survival at times.😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The people who criticise his ambition probably don’t understand the financial constraints we have and the need to comply with FFP or whatever it’s called now? Saying that I find most criticism is aimed at the way the club has been run in the last few years and some of the people brought in to do that. Looking at our financial situation those are valid criticisms.

Im very cautious not to predict a year of struggle for Rovers next season as others have done. There are some massive clubs in L1 with many honours and years of top flight football between them but the top 3 this season were Wigan, Rotherham and MK Dons with Wycombe and Plymouth not too far behind.

100% @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

I've spoken about this on the podcast numerous times.

City are not "skint", or in financial difficulty that would lead to fire sale of players.

What we are, is at the threshold of the current FFP system due to decisions made 3 years ago.

People that complain about Lansdown not putting money in, fail to understand that he is already at the limit of what he can invest/loan.

What he did do though is oversee an unsustainable level of operating costs, and wages; and for that he does have to accept some culpability. 

After the Sports Quarter I can see the Lansdowns bailing out. That is their legacy though, so i think they're here for a few years yet.

Hopefully the FFP will be revised this summer (as per RG's comments). If not, we may have to make some hard financial decisions, or cut playing budgets accordingly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

 

After the Sports Quarter I can see the Lansdowns bailing out. That is their legacy though, so i think they're here for a few years yet.

Hopefully the FFP will be revised this summer (as per RG's comments). If not, we may have to make some hard financial decisions, or cut playing budgets accordingly.

 

I think their intention is to still own a stake, but bring in a co-owner (or co-owners).  I think they will take a back seat in the running of the club. Even more so than now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Yep, and literally overheard a Gashead yesterday saying that Rovers get 10,000 at home and take 2,000 away.

Home attendance over-exaggerated by 2,500

Away attendance over-exaggerated by 1,000

#gaslogic 

Oh well, it wasn't me! 😇  You'll always get some folk who live in cloud cuckoo land, and believe everthing they read, or what their mate tells them down the pub. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I simply pointed out that quoting a list of numbers without any mention of a source renders the list pretty meaningless and leaves you open to suggestions that you could have easily made up the numbers. If you found the info on a ‘big’ website you could have just provided a link to save having to type out the list yourself ...

I didn't re-type it myself, copied it from somebody else, and they named the site they got it from.  You're quite right, I should have cited the source for authenticity.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm not what you are talking about - you are always of significance, because as our city rivals I detest everything about your club. 

I have, however, posted that it's fair play to you for turning the season around and clinching promotion in the most dramatic of ways. 

I don't like that you've had success, but credit where its due. 

Now I'm just consoling myself with the fact that at least it's done & out of the way now, rather than it dragging on though the playoffs & you getting a big day out at Wembley.. 

I don't think that any lower league club can over celebrate the little bits of success that come our way. 

 

Thank you for citing that our two clubs do have something in common!  :facepalm: 😀

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, naughty girl !

I'm typing this from the naughty step! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, In the Net said:

Thank you for citing that our two clubs do have something in common!  :facepalm: 😀

The only thing we have in common with that lot is we are from the same city, which they like to refer to as a town. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I didn't re-type it myself, copied it from somebody else, and they named the site they got it from.  You're quite right, I should have cited the source for authenticity.

Much more reliable than authentirovers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, In the Net said:

They're from one of the big websites, Transfer Market or something like that.

You are somewhat grasping at straws to suggest that I may have made them up.  You respond to quite a lot of my posts, so, obviously read what I write.  I would have hoped you may have realised that I am a person of integrity, who always tries to take a balanced view of situations. 

I did a bit of digging as I was intrigued and the list you posted for away followings in league two was from the ‘Bristol World’ website - not one of the ‘big’ ones I’d suggest - and that same website reported that the Rovers vs Scunthorpe match “sold out in one minute” - did it even sell out at all?! May not be the most reliable source of info ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I did a bit of digging as I was intrigued and the list you posted for away followings in league two was from the ‘Bristol World’ website - not one of the ‘big’ ones I’d suggest - and that same website reported that the Rovers vs Scunthorpe match “sold out in one minute” - did it even sell out at all?! May not be the most reliable source of info ...

Ah, bugger - that'll teach me for not doing my own research!  Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for something more reliable! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Ah, bugger - that'll teach me for not doing my own research!  Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for something more reliable! 

That doesn’t mean it’s incorrect as they’ve probably got it from somewhere else anyway, there’s all sorts of Twitter pages that figure these things out.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I did a bit of digging as I was intrigued and the list you posted for away followings in league two was from the ‘Bristol World’ website - not one of the ‘big’ ones I’d suggest - and that same website reported that the Rovers vs Scunthorpe match “sold out in one minute” - did it even sell out at all?! May not be the most reliable source of info ...

Yes, it did sell out. The 'sold out in one minute' refers to the extra 500 that went on sale a couple of days before the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...