IGNORED

Max Alleyne.

Roadrunner

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Just come up on my news feed. Southampton have agreed a £1.5 million fee with Manchester City for the 15 year old Bristol born Centre back. Anyone  knew of Max background, he was playing for saints u18.

Son of Mark Alleyne the ex Glos and England Cricketer, really nice family 

8 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

I've seen Mark down the gate a couple of times with his kids, always seems to me like a really nice guy.

We had some wonderful days at Lords while he was playing for the Shire thats for sure.

Good luck to the lad 

What a team we had. 

9 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

I've seen Mark down the gate a couple of times with his kids, always seems to me like a really nice guy.

We had some wonderful days at Lords while he was playing for the Shire thats for sure.

Good luck to the lad 

Not my team but he was an excellent captain for Glos who was very unlucky not to be involved in one day cricket for England.

Also seemed a good coach & very nice bloke.

35 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if young max is has competitive as his dad then he has a good chance of becoming  star. 1.5 million for a 15 year old is totally wrong. let the lad play his football and not put this sort of price tag on him 

If you're going to become a "star" then you have to deal with the price tag(s) ??‍♂️

I'm sure it'll be no biggy and that's hardly a hefty fee these days, even for a 15 year old.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks, but is it fair to say that wasn’t enough considering his record?

How many if he had played for Surrey or Yorkshire?

10 times that!

tbf Glos had a distinctive way of suffocating teams chasing. I’m not completely sure it would have worked against international batsmen on good pitches. And Boo Boo was the epitome of our slow pace off type attack.

7 hours ago, steveybadger said:

10 times that!

tbf Glos had a distinctive way of suffocating teams chasing. I’m not completely sure it would have worked against international batsmen on good pitches. And Boo Boo was the epitome of our slow pace off type attack.

Snape and Ball were excellent at that, but don’t forget we had Harvey who did it on the international stage too. Great times, those. 

9 minutes ago, tin said:

Snape and Ball were excellent at that, but don’t forget we had Harvey who did it on the international stage too. Great times, those. 

They were. Watched Glos a lot between the mid 90's - mid 2000's and had some great days out. Mike Smith and Jack were criminally overlooked by the England selectors imo. 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

They were. Watched Glos a lot between the mid 90's - mid 2000's and had some great days out. Mike Smith and Jack were criminally overlooked by the England selectors imo. 

Seen what Smudger is up to nowadays? 

https://www.bevanbrittan.com/people/mike-smith/

I emailed him ten years ago or so to remind him what a legend he was (and how Graham Thorpe had cost him his England career). And he was courteous enough to email back. 

2 hours ago, tin said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

As a Somerset fan, always a bit jealous of Jack’s ability to stand-up to the seamers, which made a bowler like Smith in one-dayers.  Imagine a keeper stood-back….Smith (decent as he was) would’ve got taken on big-time.

Russell was brilliant.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

As a Somerset fan, always a bit jealous of Jack’s ability to stand-up to the seamers, which made a bowler like Smith in one-dayers.  Imagine a keeper stood-back….Smith (decent as he was) would’ve got taken on big-time.

Russell was brilliant.

Jack Russell was, indeed, an excellent keeper and, in addition, a very good artist.

You may (or may not) be aware that, until quite recently, he had a studio not far from you, in Chipping Sodbury.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Jack Russell was, indeed, an excellent keeper and, in addition, a very good artist.

You may (or may not) be aware that, until quite recently, he had a studio not far from you, in Chipping Sodbury.

I do indeed.

Re Martyn Ball, I got picked as one of the spinners in Avon Schools u13s over him.  I played one season, took 2 wickets all summer….in what was incredibly negative cricket.  Batsman who would bat all innings (45-55 overs) for 30 / 40 not out.  Virtually every game ended in a draw.

Suffice to say, I didn’t get picked the year after, or again!

On 31/07/2021 at 01:02, DaveF said:

Another one we've missed out on...

WHAT ARE WE DOING???

GO GET IM STEVE.

Pay as you play contract probably would have sealed it.

Not missing out on them at all. Southampton have academies in Bristol and Weston. They play matches in Bath. 

Cardiff also have a academy in yate. 

I have 3 of my players from my u9's team signed with Southampton. Been with them since they were 6. 

If you ask a parent who do you want to sign for city or Southampton.... Its a no brainer. Southampton have a second to none reputation and set up in youth football. 

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Not missing out on them at all. Southampton have academies in Bristol and Weston. They play matches in Bath. 

Cardiff also have a academy in yate. 

I have 3 of my players from my u9's team signed with Southampton. Been with them since they were 6. 

If you ask a parent who do you want to sign for city or Southampton.... Its a no brainer. Southampton have a second to none reputation and set up in youth football. 

Thought Southampton had to close that academy in bath down?

Archived