IGNORED

City V Villa line up

M.D

Just now, 2015 said:

Anything on Kevin Friend? Calls himself a City fan and that was 2 stonewall penalties he snubbed today. The Scott one especially was a shocker. 

If that’s true he probably wanted to duck any allegations of bias ahead of the new season without the benefit of VAR

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Probably Baker. But I would also be fine if Kalas stayed on bench while those two are fit. The one I think might be in trouble is KP as he's just not offering enough go forward in that 10 role. And I like him. But Scott has changed game. HNM and Bakinson could both play there. KP is running hard but just needs to find some quality (which he is very capable of).

And Im not totally sold on King yet. Williams surely will challenge for that position. And maybe Nagy or HNM.

COD and Weimann giving us nice balance on wings.Callum still makes some wrong decisions but technically he is very good and he's looking confident. 

If I just take today’s game in isolation I’d say Palmer was one of our brightest (if not the brightest) players first half.  I liked that he wasn’t as “flashy” as normal, kept it slightly more simple and I think looked better for it. No silly reverse-look passes with no hope if the forward getting onto it, and that pass early on for Weimann is probably a pass only Palmer sees.

But Alex Scott made a real good contribution second half.  Most of us who’ve seen him recognise his talent, and his bravery to take players on.  He’s gonna be around the 18 pretty regularly based on this.  Up to him to force his way in if we play his type of player off of a striker.

Little shout out to Sam Bell too.  He’s pretty rapid isn’t he?  Makes good runs too.  Future is bright.

King was quiet, but up against Villa is a different ball-game.

Callum was ok today….made some good runs off the ball, couple of times where he retained possession in tight spots.  Weimann was decent on other side….linked well with Vyner (who I praised at h-t), who I think has cemented a starting berth next week.

Overall I thought we showed so much more than last season (not hard), but also considering the opponent, I think it was a nice reminder of the levels needed….so we won’t be half-cocked next weekend.  Some work to do defensively, where Baker had a good game, but makes us one-dimensional with the ball.

Would not surprise me if there’s some form of behind closed doors match mid-week too. 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Second half reflections…..greater intensity from us with quicker closing down/ pressing and therefore denying AV the time/space they had in the first half. Scott and Bell looked mature beyond their years. Could have had a pen on 57 minutes, following a good ball from AW to CM. On the hour Villa demonstrate clinical finishing with their first chance of the half, which rather took the shine off our promising start to the half. On several occasions El Ghazi provided them with an outlet who quickly turned defence into attack.

We created several half chances without ever really looking like scoring.  Thought Matty James had a solid game (subbed on 75 mins). Thankfully no sign of any injuries.

Simpson, Nagy, Bell and Wells (playing central) all got at least 30 minutes. With Pring and Bakinson both getting 15 minutes.

All-in-all a good training game for us which showed our improvements/strengths and weaknesses. Compared with last season a more entertaining watch, with us more workmanlike, in better shape physically and with a greater balance throughout. As we know creativity, and even more so, goal scoring remain key unresolved concerns.

We had a shape and style of play so that's at least 2 improvements on last season!

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Ray Charles had one

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Was he a City fan?

He did sing about St George(ia) being on his mind! 

Both Scott and Bell made a very strong case for a start.

A decent game but I think we could do with two attacking full backs who can take on their defender and get behind them and cross from the byline.   Vyner had a very decent game and could develop in the position but, as yet, he is not a player to take on the last defender with the ball.  I don't see Simpson adding much at either end of the pitch aside from being a steady old hand who will sit back.  

First half Villa were pressing deep into the final third so Bentley had to repeatedly hoof it upfield targeting Martin and we'd squander possession. We looked a much better footballing team and attacking threat in the second half and played with more width as well. Whether it was the young blood or instructions from Pearson but we went from being a but static team afraid to make an error to a much more creative 'let's give it a go' threat.

Palmer is industrious but I don't see a lot of end product and Scott should get plenty of game time.  Needs to be managed carefully though because of his age.  

I thought Baker had a decent game and there's never a lack of effort there but I'd like to see how Kalas and Atkinson pair up.

I would also like to see Bakinson play with James to add creativity and goals.  He's a languid player and sometimes that can be mistaken for lack of effort.  James would give him the direction.

Aside from that elusive goal scorer, I'd like to see an attacking right back signed and possibly a left back as well.   Haven't seen enough of Pring to form a view. Dasilva ozes class at times but needs competition and for some teams we'll need height as well in his position.

We have two goalkeepers who are excellent shot-stoppers.  I'd like to see a safe pair of hands like a fit Niki Maenpaa as competition. He was my first choice keeper every time when fit. Assurance and command of the box gave the defenders in front of him a lot of confidence.

Nage did okay when he came on and it's a strange one when a side that has struggled recently in the Championship can't fit in a player who excelled against top teams in the Euros.

Thought Andy King would be someone to come off the bench for last 20 mins if we need to see a game out, not a starter. Surely HNM, or Nagy would be better starting options?

Disappointing to hear Martin looked so slow, sounds like Wells or Bell down the centre would be better bet. Great to hear all the positives for Alex Scott.

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What was I wrong about ?

I think what he's getting at is that you've been wildly backtracking and desperately clutching at straws with your flailing arms ever since your original comment and it might be time to just let it be lest you embarrass yourself further.

Certainty not saying that is my opinion but I think that's what Mr Teeth is saying.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

He actually booked the Villa fans didnt he ? Then clapped them when they chanted his name.

Pretty much one of the most bizarre thinks i've seen from a ref.

He applauded a number of times, the villa fans calling him a w##ker.

Then proceeded to give them a yellow card later. What the actual....???

Made a number of weird decisons, letting obvious fouls by both teams go. In amongst our numerous penalty shouts, seemed to have the attitude of "it's only a it's friendly, i'm not going to give a penalty".

For their third goal, the city players stopped as the ball had gone well over the  line. It was on the other side of the pitch to the linesman, who wad caught out badly.

After the goal, a clearly distraught Bentley was obviously told by the ref "look it's already 2-0, and its a friendly; so let it go"

Treated the whole game today as a bit of a laugh unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

I think what he's getting at is that you've been wildly backtracking and desperately clutching at straws with your flailing arms ever since your original comment and it might be time to just let it be lest you embarrass yourself further.

Certainty not saying that is my opinion but I think that's what Mr Teeth is saying.

My original comment was this team won’t score 60 goals which I stand by 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Alright mate,don’t know how old you are but your like a upset child,we got better things to do with our time then listen to your I’m always right attention seeking 

I feel like the season has started proper!

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He’s a nutter I think,he hasn’t posted about Alex Scott saying how positive he looks it’s just all negative,he would demand a protest if his jacket potato was burnt at a restaurant 

And It’s Smith???

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He’s a nutter I think,he hasn’t posted about Alex Scott saying how positive he looks it’s just all negative,he would demand a protest if his jacket potato was burnt at a restaurant 

Ironic considering you’ve had a go at me in the past for being positive.  Scott looks superb. 

Mixed views on the thread as to how we played. I applaud those who seem overly optimistic. 

First half Villa were a level above if not two without really getting out of second gear. Some of the passing from McGinn and movement from Watkins was superb, with him often finding himself off the shoulder of Atkinson or in between our centre halves. Thought it took Atkinson a half to get up to speed, seemed a yard off in his head - often reacting rather than anticipating. Not overly keen on Vyner at RB but on this showing appears an upgrade on Simpson. James moves the ball well, looks to use the width of the pitch for a pass rather than the tippy tappy stuff that we see the majority of the time. An outlet on the flank would really help us - Weimann and O’Dowda appear to naturally drift inside. 

Second half and the introduction of Scott and perhaps some harsh words from Pearson about our lack of press seemed to do the business. Scott appears to be some player. Strong for his slight frame, picking the right ball and willing to drive at Villas defence. That is what I pay my money to watch - the lad oozes class and in many respects had a bit of Grealish about him. Desperately want KP to succeed here but Scott is knocking on that door. Dare I say I would start him next week. Still feel we need something else up front. Yet Scott and young Bell have done their chances no harm. 

It’s going to be a bumpy one this year for sure. Think RB is going to be a problem, the lack of a wing outlet and someone to push Wells up top. 

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I don’t want to take sides here, but Goodness; I’d be pretty cheesed off if my jacket potato was burnt!

Oh, and probably somewhat academic in the scheme of things, but I thought that young Alex Scott was excellent.

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Of course nobody goes out for a meal and orders a jacket spud anyway 

I don’t want to take this off on a tangent, but I assure you that some years ago (back in the late 1980s/very early 1990s), I used to frequent a Beefeater restaurant on one of their ‘Special’ nights - two meals for the price of one - where my (now) wife and I would enjoy an excellent steak with jacket potato and sour cream/chive Source.

Fantastic value for money and very tasty, too.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don’t want to take this off on a tangent, but I assure you that some years ago (back in the late 1980s/very early 1990s), I used to frequent a Beefeater restaurant on one of their ‘Special’ nights - two meals for the price of one - where my (now) wife and I would enjoy an excellent steak with jacket potato and sour cream/chive Source.

Fantastic value for money and very tasty, too.

Sure it was but sour cream is a no for me straight of the bat

27 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Of course nobody goes out for a meal and orders a jacket spud anyway 

I can assure that every time I take my wife out to dinner, she orders a baked potato (as they’re called out here) in preference to mash or fries (as unfortunately chips are called out here). 

Archived