IGNORED

City V Villa line up

M.D

First half reflections. Brilliant to have fans back!  Good training experience.

Villa very comfortable with lots of time / space and playing well within themselves. Looks like if they stepped it up a bit they could add to their lead.

We look well organized and have kept our shape. Predictably there’s been very little from us going forward. Atkinson has looked at home, Palmer has had a couple of moments, James looks comfortable. We are giving them the freedom of AG in their half and so it’s a bit attack against defence at times.

Overall that half illustrates the gulf between Championship and Premiership teams.

• Like 2

Pretty enthused by that.  Missed first 5 mins (having lunch), we took 15 mins to get into the game, but looked fine since. Vyner looking v.decent at RB, winning ball and processing with it....and not trying to hit drag every time!  he's put some dangerous crosses in and nice balls along the deck into the front players.

James, busy, King relatively quiet.

Palmer a good first half, been lively, linking well.  Weimann bright too.

Atkinson and Baker have done fine against Watkins.

Maybe Wells for Martin, Nagy for King at h-t....to freshen it up???

• Like 2

Mixed feelings. Not the strongest Villa side, but some great quality all the same . We are passing well in phases, but we look devoid of attacking threat, which is something that will worry us all . It is not just Martin/Weimann , but the approach play. We are also too open at the back and they are finding big gaps . King and James look ok , but there is no great energy , its like having 2 Marlon Packs. Very very early days in our new challenges, but worries about goals both for and against are there. 

James looks good, trying to dictate our play which we haven't seen for a while. Always seems available

Atkinson looks very good on the ball, won everything in the air (except the 2nd goal), but seems to 'struggle' following players movement which he'll need to work on.

I've seen some nice play between Atkinson - James - Palmer - Martin - back to Palmer and then looking for Weimann/O'Dowda which looks promising.

While we're 2-0 down, we look a lot better than we did for the last 25 games of the season last year against a better team which is positive.

Edited by grifty
  • Like 3

Some good signs in the first half. 

Palmer looks to be involved, seems eager to impress. 

Matty James and Vyner linking up well. 

O'Dowda looking to get past his man, instead of turning in circles. Could see him improve tenfold under Pearson. 

I would however like to see a Weimann and Wells partnership up front. 

Good half of football that and very unfortunate to be 2 down against a strong Villa side. They might be missing Grealish, Mings and Martinez but nobody out there is not without a chance of starting in a side I fully expect to be in the top half of the Premier league.

After a slow start, when we conceded the early goal, I thought we grew into the game well and were even the better side for a good 30 minutes of it, showing some good link ups through the midfield. Atkinson has so far had the better of Watkins, while Palmer gas looked good on the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Typical premiership side as soon as a player goes near one of them they roll around on the floor FFS do they really need to behave like that in a friendly

Just perfecting it for when the real games start next week no doubt john moss anthony taylor mike dean and the rest of the crew will be suitably bamboozled

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty enthused by that.  Missed first 5 mins (having lunch), we took 15 mins to get into the game, but looked fine since. Vyner looking v.decent at RB, winning ball and processing with it....and not trying to hit drag every time!  he's put some dangerous crosses in and nice balls along the deck into the front players.

James, busy, King relatively quiet.

Palmer a good first half, been lively, linking well.  Weimann bright too.

Atkinson and Baker have done fine against Watkins.

Maybe Wells for Martin, Nagy for King at h-t....to freshen it up???

I know it’s Villa and a pre-season game, Dave, but to me we look one-paced and lacking in creativity - not dissimilar to last season. I thought the same about Plymouth on Tuesday. A reasonable side would have taken their chances and beaten us.

• Like 1

Villa are quick in the ball, fast flowing movement....always have two options for a the pass....

We will unlikely play a better team this season. We have had good passages of play but have nothing on the Right of midfield and are too heavily reliant on the hoof from Bents and then a knock on....which we have lost 8 times out of 10. 

In the main a good performance....clear We are rebuilding though.....patience will be needed in the stands from next week. 

COYRs!!!

6 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Do you think he could be a regular at a bigger club than villa?

If so who

Man United? He's better than Fred, Mctominay and Matic for me.

Liverpool? Rate him higher than Henderson and Jones. 

Would easily start for Arsenal, Spurs and Everton. 

Edited by MATT BCFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, firstdivision said:

I know it’s Villa and a pre-season game, Dave, but to me we look one-paced and lacking in creativity - not dissimilar to last season. I thought the same about Plymouth on Tuesday. A reasonable side would have taken their chances and beaten us.

opinions.....we've moved the ball through the first press well....James and King find space to get on it / give an option.  That is very different to last season.  We've seen nice link ups.  Is it perfect?  Nope.  Is it better than last season?  Yep, and its against a PL team with a good smattering of first teamers.

• Like 1

I disagree with Semenyo there. Weimann has to hold onto it there when he went through and play it across to Martin. Never gonna score with his left foot from there. Sometimes I wish Weimann would not rush everything.

Think we lack a bit of pace up top and in midfield as well. Though individually most of them have played quite well. Players look very fit.

Scott coming on! 👏