IGNORED

City V Villa line up

M.D

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

See my latest post above yours.  It is better yes.  But last season was atrocious.  Doesn’t mean we have been ‘very good’ today.  And I am usually an optimistic poster 

I get where you're coming from but that team you're talking about who finished bottom in final 36 games was... this team. So that is exactly the level from which we have to improve. Its not about expectations but the starting point for our improvement. And we are improving. Very quickly. Bossing half against a good prem team. New players bedding in. Some good players still to add to team. Options on bench. 

Never nice losing 0-3 but, as weird as it sounds given scoreline, this is the best I've seen us play in years. Including the start of last season. And Matty James is the player we have needed for last 5 years.

Lots more to come from this team. But this is a good base. Maybe a bit up and down don't see a 'hard season ahead' at all. 

1 minute ago, the1stknowle said:

I get where you're coming from but that team you're talking about who finished bottom in final 36 games was... this team. So that is exactly the level from which we have to improve. Its not about expectations but the starting point for our improvement. And we are improving. Very quickly. Bossing half against a good prem team. New players bedding in. Some good players still to add to team. Options on bench. 

Never nice losing 0-3 but, as weird as it sounds given scoreline, this is the best I've seen us play in years. Including the start of last season. And Matty James is the player we have needed for last 5 years.

Lots more to come from this team. But this is a good base. Maybe a bit up and down don't see a 'hard season ahead' at all. 

My point was that people on here have said we look very good.  I assumed they were not meaning very good compared to last season .  

Just now, TammyAB said:

Hopefully there’ll be 3 teams worse than us

Well there will certainly a lot of teams worse than Aston Villa. I suppose Plymouth and Exeter fans are judging how well they will do next season based on their performances against us?

Second half reflections…..greater intensity from us with quicker closing down/ pressing and therefore denying AV the time/space they had in the first half. Scott and Bell looked mature beyond their years. Could have had a pen on 57 minutes, following a good ball from AW to CM. On the hour Villa demonstrate clinical finishing with their first chance of the half, which rather took the shine off our promising start to the half. On several occasions El Ghazi provided them with an outlet who quickly turned defence into attack.

We created several half chances without ever really looking like scoring.  Thought Matty James had a solid game (subbed on 75 mins). Thankfully no sign of any injuries.

Simpson, Nagy, Bell and Wells (playing central) all got at least 30 minutes. With Pring and Bakinson both getting 15 minutes.

All-in-all a good training game for us which showed our improvements/strengths and weaknesses. Compared with last season a more entertaining watch, with us more workmanlike, in better shape physically and with a greater balance throughout. As we know creativity, and even more so, goal scoring remain key unresolved concerns.

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Would you bring Kalas in for Baker, or Atkinson? I’m not sure he’s even going to do so. 

Probably Baker. But I would also be fine if Kalas stayed on bench while those two are fit. The one I think might be in trouble is KP as he's just not offering enough go forward in that 10 role. And I like him. But Scott has changed game. HNM and Bakinson could both play there. KP is running hard but just needs to find some quality (which he is very capable of).

And Im not totally sold on King yet. Williams surely will challenge for that position. And maybe Nagy or HNM.

COD and Weimann giving us nice balance on wings.Callum still makes some wrong decisions but technically he is very good and he's looking confident. 

18 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I think we see playing very well, very differently. 

I think we’ve done ok for a couple of minutes on a couple of occasions.

I like the look of James & Scott though. 

This is when football games are won or lost 

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Hopefully there’ll be 3 teams worse than us

Support the team for gods sake rather than critise them, I think there are some good signs today its not every game you come up with quality like Villa have and we wont play against a Biased ref. On another day we would have had 2 Pens some encouraging signs Scott Bell James Atkinson all look tidy and at times we looked dangerous Yes we need a striker  that is obvious but signs look good  

Archived