IGNORED

Here we are then, only 513 days since the last time!!

headhunter

Saturday March 7th 2020 - we were challenging for the playoffs and although held to a draw by Fulham it was a pretty decent game.

Despite all the changes over the past 16 months it is feasible that Nigel will have 6 of the team that started the Fulham game in his first X1, if not today then probably next Saturday: Dasilva, Kalas, Bakers, O'Dowda, Weimann, Wells. Massengo & Palmer were on the bench. Maenpaa was in goal - Bentley injured.

Season No.55 for me ..... it's the hope that kills

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Saturday March 7th 2020 - we were challenging for the playoffs and although held to a draw by Fulham it was a pretty decent game.

Despite all the changes over the past 16 months it is feasible that Nigel will have 6 of the team that started the Fulham game in his first X1, if not today then probably next Saturday: Dasilva, Kalas, Bakers, O'Dowda, Weimann, Wells. Massengo & Palmer were on the bench. Maenpaa was in goal - Bentley injured.

Who’s going to be wearing their anniversary shirt today? ?

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Well that is 8 counting the bench then. All great players and Massengo and Weimann will be the stand outs for me this season. Nakki maybe also. 

Seems such a long time ago. If I knew it would be the last time I would set foot into Ashton Gate for such a long time, I certainly would have made the day of it!

Even if the football is just as bad as last season, I don’t care because I’m finally coming home!

Does seem like a different lifetime ago and a few days later the faithful away fans were heading off to Blackburn, expecting to get a result as our away tactics and results were very, very good - certainly better than i expect we will have this season.

So what went wrong?

Covid, damned Covid with the resultant greed of Premier League clubs and owners and (particularly) players making the Championship so far away in terms of finances, prospects etc that it is almost a different sport.

Ok, some of the world's biggest clubs like Barcelona are bankrupt but is it true all Championship clubs are really struggling to survive? Derby only have 9 registered players, no-one apart from Fulham (taking a sebatical from the EPL with the owner having put in £410m!!!) has spent any net transfers. Whilst teams have signed loanees and out of contract players so that 146 players have been signed across all clubs, expenditure is £18m and Fulham have spent £12m of that. 

My bet isFulham and Baggies will go straight back up but with Bournemouth and Sheff U getting the third promotion place. Usually we look forward to a chance of the P.Os and perhaps this year will be different with existance being the top, realistic prize? Sounds gloomy but the post is surely all about the reality of what has happened to clubs, owners and fans in the past 18 months

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Does seem like a different lifetime ago and a few days later the faithful away fans were heading off to Blackburn, expecting to get a result as our away tactics and results were very, very good - certainly better than i expect we will have this season.

So what went wrong?

Covid, damned Covid with the resultant greed of Premier League clubs and owners and (particularly) players making the Championship so far away in terms of finances, prospects etc that it is almost a different sport.

Ok, some of the world's biggest clubs like Barcelona are bankrupt but is it true all Championship clubs are really struggling to survive? Derby only have 9 registered players, no-one apart from Fulham (taking a sebatical from the EPL with the owner having put in £410m!!!) has spent any net transfers. Whilst teams have signed loanees and out of contract players so that 146 players have been signed across all clubs, expenditure is £18m and Fulham have spent £12m of that. 

My bet isFulham and Baggies will go straight back up but with Bournemouth and Sheff U getting the third promotion place. Usually we look forward to a chance of the P.Os and perhaps this year will be different with existance being the top, realistic prize? Sounds gloomy but the post is surely all about the reality of what has happened to clubs, owners and fans in the past 18 months

I know it’s becoming more & more unlikely statistically due to finances etc which Covid has contributed to a degree but there’s usually one relegated team from the Premier League that ‘messes’ up their season in the Championship - if it was to happen this time, which one would it be?

On 31/07/2021 at 08:37, M.D said:

Tom Cairney, I was involved in the build of his new house in Surry a couple of years ago, came across as a nice lad..

I went to see a Fulham game against Brighton the season Brighton got promoted because a Fulham supporting mate had a spare ticket. Fulham lost but Cairney put in the best midfield performance I've ever seen in the Championship. Absolute class player. 

Archived