Jump to content
IGNORED

striker needer.


Hampshire reds
 Share

Recommended Posts

Depends on what formation we are looking to play.

I agree that neither Wells of Marton look effective in a 4231, as a figurehead. In that formation you need a quick powerful runner. 

Martin is a link up man, whilst Wells is a poacher; who offers little off the ball. Jannah, Bell & Conway are probably little lighweight/raw at the moment.

In a 442 though. It the Wells/Martin combo might work though. They certainly started well together last season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I wouldn’t laugh at that. Semenyo just needs to learn how to keep his head in front of goal. If he can add that we have the Jamie Vardy type Pearson wants. 
 

Despite some of the idiot comments on another thread I am very upbeat about the season. 

Is that something is you can learn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Depends on what formation we are looking to play.

I agree that neither Wells of Marton look effective in a 4231, as a figurehead. In that formation you need a quick powerful runner. 

Martin is a link up man, whilst Wells is a poacher; who offers little off the ball. Jannah, Bell & Conway are probably little lighweight/raw at the moment.

In a 442 though. It the Wells/Martin combo might work though. They certainly started well together last season.

 

Agree with everything you put there except the last bit. I thought they linked up very poorly last season.

I'd be tempted to give Semenyo a go, as I think he could be an absolute nightmare for centre backs.

But I didnt think Martin was bad today. We know he will link play well, and it just means we have to find ways to score accepting he probably won't get many.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nige brings in a new striker like Keinan Davis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

All very familiar to the Holden and Johnson eras I’m afraid…same old problem!!!

Quality Winger

Quality Striker Still needed

Lets be honest that Villa team -Grealish is relegation fodder and we didn’t threaten them…🤷‍♂️
Get your wallet out Lansdown if you won’t invest in the team I won’t be investing in a season ticket!

Thanks for the sample 

And even a relegation fodder PL team is likely to be top 4/5 in the champ in Covid Financial Times, so let’s give some credit for a decent enough 20-45 mins first half and a much better second half, where we were denied to pens, slid a couple of balls across the 6 yard box, had several shots that on another day either seriously test the keeper or end up in the net.  So we did threaten them….sometimes the “0” in the goals for colum needs some context to be given.

For info, SL has invested millions into this club, there are FFP considerations why he can’t go mad.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with everything you put there except the last bit. I thought they linked up very poorly last season.

I'd be tempted to give Semenyo a go, as I think he could be an absolute nightmare for centre backs.

But I didnt think Martin was bad today. We know he will link play well, and it just means we have to find ways to score accepting he probably won't get many.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nige brings in a new striker like Keinan Davis.

In our start to last season, before Martin was flogged, him and Nahki linked pretty well….Wells scoring, Martin assisting, but also as a four with Weimann and Paterson, they would a good “box”.  But if you play Martin every game he loses effectiveness, and by Huddersfield, Holden had gone 433 with Wells shunted to LW….then Fam came in. I could go on 🤣

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with everything you put there except the last bit. I thought they linked up very poorly last season.

I'd be tempted to give Semenyo a go, as I think he could be an absolute nightmare for centre backs.

But I didnt think Martin was bad today. We know he will link play well, and it just means we have to find ways to score accepting he probably won't get many.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nige brings in a new striker like Keinan Davis.

You're probably right @JonDolman

The start of last season under DH seems like a decade ago.

Certainly we don't have the forward at the club to play the 4231 formation at present.

Obviously a few players still a bit short of starting that may come into the mix (Kalas, Williams, Nagy, Wells, Semenyeo).

I get the feeling 2-3 players may be on the move before the end of August. I guess we're waiting for the PL clubs to make some decisions about their squads as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

You're probably right @JonDolman

The start of last season under DH seems like a decade ago.

Certainly we don't have the forward at the club to play the 4231 formation at present.

Obviously a few players still a bit short of starting that may come into the mix (Kalas, Williams, Nagy, Wells, Semenyeo).

I get the feeling 2-3 players may be on the move before the end of August. I guess we're waiting for the PL clubs to make some decisions about their squads as well.

Nurse gone…..what’s happened to Owura Edwards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I wouldn’t laugh at that. Semenyo just needs to learn how to keep his head in front of goal. If he can add that we have the Jamie Vardy type Pearson wants. 
 

Despite some of the idiot comments on another thread I am very upbeat about the season. 

I totally agree, talk of finishing 20th and being happy is ludicrous 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Semenyo is no way the answer.

Why not?

Young but with some Championship experience, pacy which Is a nightmare for defenders. No doubt Nige and his coaches will have worked with him on his composure in front of goal.

I reckon Semenyo will be a surprise package this coming season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Wasn’t at the game today, but surely when Semenyo comes back we could push Weimann centrally again? People might not think he’s a 20 a goal season but if Reid can do it Iv no doubt Weimann can 

I would like to see Wells with Weimann as his secondary striker.  You could play Nagy RM/RW if you wanted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not just a striker issue though is it? We have such a lack of creativity in the side getting a decent striker is half the problem. Weimann, COD & Palmer will struggle to create chances consistently and offer any genuine quality in the final third.

On the plus side Weimann will weigh in with a few goals. I also think Semenyo returning will help us & he will have a big part to play this year. We have the makings of a good side but we really need to improve in the final third.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In our start to last season, before Martin was flogged, him and Nahki linked pretty well….Wells scoring, Martin assisting, but also as a four with Weimann and Paterson, they would a good “box”.  But if you play Martin every game he loses effectiveness, and by Huddersfield, Holden had gone 433 with Wells shunted to LW….then Fam came in. I could go on 🤣

I know we won some games at the start of the season but I thought stylistically it didnt look right for it to work over the season.

I think that 352 and the way we played it required 2 up top that could both link play with their backs to goal, and that's why the few times we saw Semenyo up there with Martin I thought it looked more promising.

In a 352 type system with Wells up top, I would want someone like Weimann alongside him with an attacking midfielder in behind them. A bit more like the Afobe and Weimann of the start of the previous season.

As it is with the one striker, I thought Martin actually played well today. He was involved in a fair few of our decent chances 2nd half. He looks very fit. As long as he has 3 mobile runners in the 3 behind him then it might be fine.

Conway is an option too. And a bit surprised he was only involved for the 23s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Wasn’t at the game today, but surely when Semenyo comes back we could push Weimann centrally again? People might not think he’s a 20 a goal season but if Reid can do it Iv no doubt Weimann can 

If you'd of seen Weimanns shot in the first half when put through on goal, you'd know why he's not the answer up front. Wells played through the middle for a run of games with some more positive minded players around him is the sort of player we need up front.

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know we won some games at the start of the season but I thought stylistically it didnt look right for it to work over the season.

I think that 352 and the way we played it required 2 up top that could both link play with their backs to goal, and that's why the few times we saw Semenyo up there with Martin I thought it looked more promising.

In a 352 type system with Wells up top, I would want someone like Weimann alongside him with an attacking midfielder in behind them. A bit more like the Afobe and Weimann of the start of the previous season.

As it is with the one striker, I thought Martin actually played well today. He was involved in a fair few of our decent chances 2nd half. He looks very fit. As long as he has 3 mobile runners in the 3 behind him then it might be fine.

Conway is an option too. And a bit surprised he was only involved for the 23s.

I thought Martin was ok today also…..think some fans have made up their minds though.  He even ran the channel second half!!

What we need Martin to be is fit and sharp…not tired / fatigued….and ready to play whatever part is needed of him.  Some starts, some subs.  We have a squad of players with similar levels.  The key will be to pick them appropriately.  Really is no point in trying to pick a best eleven, there are too many interchangeable players.  Some will feature more than others, but that’s football.

Re Conway, yep, just imagine that even if we rate them highly there is gonna be a tough job making a EFL match day 18.  Some of the “older” players might not get in either.  Maybe there was little chance of minutes if Martin starts / Wells sub….whereas “Belly” given minutes over Janneh to see him as Callum’s sub.

As you’ll see below, Nige has spread minutes out pretty well.  Most of the Senior players have had good run-outs, Kalas maybe a bit under-cooked.  I would imagine Nige is pretty happy.  No serious injuries during pre-season either. 

.FBCF21FC-E680-45E2-8E12-761D8BB6782F.thumb.jpeg.c6d589d019f72ee3b6d6c8082cef3f51.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Martin was ok today also…..think some fans have made up their minds though.  He even ran the channel second half!!

What we need Martin to be is fit and sharp…not tired / fatigued….and ready to play whatever part is needed of him.  Some starts, some subs.  We have a squad of players with similar levels.  The key will be to pick them appropriately.  Really is no point in trying to pick a best eleven, there are too many interchangeable players.  Some will feature more than others, but that’s football.

Re Conway, yep, just imagine that even if we rate them highly there is gonna be a tough job making a EFL match day 18.  Some of the “older” players might not get in either.  Maybe there was little chance of minutes if Martin starts / Wells sub….whereas “Belly” given minutes over Janneh to see him as Callum’s sub.

As you’ll see below, Nige has spread minutes out pretty well.  Most of the Senior players have had good run-outs, Kalas maybe a bit under-cooked.  I would imagine Nige is pretty happy.  No serious injuries during pre-season either. 

.FBCF21FC-E680-45E2-8E12-761D8BB6782F.thumb.jpeg.c6d589d019f72ee3b6d6c8082cef3f51.jpeg

He looked like he'd swum it

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Martin was ok today also…..think some fans have made up their minds though.  He even ran the channel second half!!

What we need Martin to be is fit and sharp…not tired / fatigued….and ready to play whatever part is needed of him.  Some starts, some subs.  We have a squad of players with similar levels.  The key will be to pick them appropriately.  Really is no point in trying to pick a best eleven, there are too many interchangeable players.  Some will feature more than others, but that’s football.

Re Conway, yep, just imagine that even if we rate them highly there is gonna be a tough job making a EFL match day 18.  Some of the “older” players might not get in either.  Maybe there was little chance of minutes if Martin starts / Wells sub….whereas “Belly” given minutes over Janneh to see him as Callum’s sub.

As you’ll see below, Nige has spread minutes out pretty well.  Most of the Senior players have had good run-outs, Kalas maybe a bit under-cooked.  I would imagine Nige is pretty happy.  No serious injuries during pre-season either. 

.FBCF21FC-E680-45E2-8E12-761D8BB6782F.thumb.jpeg.c6d589d019f72ee3b6d6c8082cef3f51.jpeg

Yeah its been a very successful preseason I think. The players look very fit. Back to Martin, I thought he looked slightly quicker!? Well I guess even though he is at an age where he should not be speeding up, and after a bad injury, if he's super fit now then I guess that is possible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:


Get your wallet out Lansdown if you won’t invest in the team I won’t be investing in a season ticket!

 

Sure SL must be rushing for the cheque book, worried that someone who has not bought a season ticket a week before the season starts might not buy one.

Difference is, SL has invested millions in BCFC without any guarantees he will get a return, most fans buy a season ticket out of love of watching there team play and continue in hope thru good and bad times. But you won't "invest", its not an investment its a a purchase, you are getting to watch games of football and a guaranteed seat in return.

Think you are better off staying at home and counting your pennies.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...